In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 24th, 2017, 8:13am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call  (Read 5418 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
« Reply #25 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 21st, 2012, 7:13pm, IbdFunk wrote:
I asked what exactly is a online labor day draft, how does that work? Just make picks online? No phone conference?

Holy shit,... !!!  Do you strive to be a moron? I hope so because then at least you are succeeding.  Any-fuckin'-way, I answered this two days ago...

on Jul 19th, 2012, 12:04am, StegRock wrote:
The very short of it, Danny, because I know you are not going to read a longer detailed response (and I have not figured it all out yet, anyway), is that everybody will make their picks by posting to a thread dedicated to making picks (not all too dissimilar to what we have done in recent years when we have conducted a regular draft; see here: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=53;a ction=display;num=1314544249). Everybody will be on a two-or-three-hour clock when their pick comes up. In other words, when the person before you picks, you will have two to three hours to make your pick and so on. The clock will be shut off during wee hours. The only thing is, with me back in Hawaii there is a six-hour time differential we have to deal with. So, I have some figuring out I am going to have to do regarding the specifics of the clock and the shut-down times. But, anyway, that is generally how it will work. Got it?
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 11:38pm »

What day on the weekend? Or evening?
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:58am »

To follow in Danny's footsteps:

What day is Labor Day?

Holy $#@*%! it would have taken less time to look that up on google than to post the message.  Yikes!

Anyway, I'm good with Labor Day weekend.  I'd prefer a Friday start, since I'll be in class Thursday evenings, but I can make do.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 1:14am »

I am in for the Labor Day weekend draft. I will admit that my biggest concern is that the draft could come to a complete and total halt if someone is not on top of it. And candidly, I am sure they would have a very good excuse.

My preference would be to knock it out in 1 day rather than face the risk of the complete stand still. It gets frustrating with everyone waiting for 1 person.  

I DIGRESS...
    With every week having Thursday games now, I am also leary of how many times people will neglect to enter line ups this year.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012, 1:15am by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 2:26am »

on Jul 21st, 2012, 11:38pm, IbdFunk wrote:
What day on the weekend? Or evening?

Will Danny even be paying attention enough to see that this portion of this reply is to him?

READ, YOU FUCKIN' NUMSKULL! You ask questions either that I have explicitly answered or that are implicitly answered or that simply demonstrate you are NOT paying attention AT fucking ALL! Everybody else here gets where we are with things. I could take a month of Sundays catering to you, explaining just to you, and you would still be fucking lost!

Anyway, I am not answering your dumb-ass questions here. READ the shit that I have taken my valuable time (yes, Danny, we all have lives that make us busy) to write and explain in detail, and try to ANSWER the questions I am asking of you!

on Jul 22nd, 2012, 1:14am, DirkDiggler wrote:
I am in for the Labor Day weekend draft. I will admit that my biggest concern is that the draft could come to a complete and total halt if someone is not on top of it. And candidly, I am sure they would have a very good excuse.

My preference would be to knock it out in 1 day rather than face the risk of the complete stand still. It gets frustrating with everyone waiting for 1 person.

Thanks for thoughtfully replying, Steve. Bottom line, there is going to be a clock... and I plan to enforce it and plan on its being enforced mercilessly... like the Vikings often have had done to them at the real NFL Draft! As such, I think there is a built-in "quickening" mechanism. If someone misses his turn, I think there is going to be a mad rush to make picks! Then, things will be moving along, except that it will be at a dude's expense! Sorry. You want to play fantasy football in a league like this, you got to sacrifice. The "have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too" American mindset stops at my doorstep!

Anyway, I feel like I better get this quoted over onto page 2 here as there may be "some of us" (see above) who are so brain-dead that they do not even know that this, the main point of discussion right now, is on page 1...

on Jul 21st, 2012, 5:15pm, StegRock wrote:
Guys, we are going... here again, and ten more days have now passed us by. Of those who have chimed in, I am taking it that, besides myself, the 2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza works for Joe, Mark, DB, Warner and Trout (whom I have spoken with... ), which makes six of us, that is to say, a majority. The only (weekend) dates that are even hypothetically possible are all very early: July 28th/29th, August 4th (5th is no good for me) and 12th, and, based on responses, THAT'S IT!!! Save perhaps for the 12th, all of those days are a) earlier than we all would probably like and b) somewhat too soon at this point and going to make for a messy rushed-up affair.

Labor Day weekend is almost our only and really our best option. As such, I would like to make this "official" and start moving forward with hammering out the specifics, such as the exact start date and time, the cut-down date (which is typically one week before) and posting a protections-list thread here, and the Draft Lottery (which is typically the Monday night before the Draft). So, can I get you guys to circle the wagons here, confirm or state your ratification of the "2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza" plan or present problems you have with it, and make suggestions regarding the start date (maybe not the specific start time because that is something with respect to which I am going to have to do some figuring out given the time difference; suffice it to say, it is going to be evening/night for you all, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 o' clock)???

Thoughts...???!!! ...

For those of you wondering, I still have not gotten through to Frank. Assuming he is in, he is just going to have to go with the flow at this point. Time is waning, and soon, within the blink of any eye, we are not going to have any choice but Labor Day weekend.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:54pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 4:08pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2012, 9:52am, IbdFunk wrote:
Hey fuck face, in all yur posts you refer to labor day weekend. There are three days to that weekend so I was asking which day? Maybe all your education is wearing your brain down.

Paging "Dr." Greenthumb...

Ugh, I am going to have to type this again... It is inevitable with this idiot. Don't get belligerent with me... READ! Pay the fuck attention!

We are talking about staggering the Draft THROUGHOUT the WHOLE weekend, beginning it perhaps on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday evening/night (for you all back there, afternoon for me) with a conference call. After we hang up from that, we (continue to) make our picks by posting them on a thread set up on our message board here. Everybody would have two or three hours to make their picks, and we would finish by Monday, Labor Day, night. The question presently on the table is what day do we want to start: that Wednesday (August 29th), Thursday, Friday, Saturday...

Now, do you FUCKING understand that, all in all, I just took TWENTY more minutes out of my life to REtype that for YOU? All I did here was REwrite FOR YOU what I had already written and explained to everybody! If you had read, along with everybody else, what I had already posted, with just the slightest of care, you would know what is going on, and you would not be wasting my time like an imbicile. HELL, I am not even sure if you are reading all of this and are not going to ask the same fucking question a-fucking-gain!

In any event, you need to drop the faggoty avatar and go with this ->
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:26pm by Stegfucius » Logged
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:48pm »

Wed night is best for me, can't do Th
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 11:10am »

So here is a POTENTIAL SCENARIO for the draft...

We start the draft with a conference call on Wednesday, August 29th. After the call, we begin the draft. From this point on, it's purely online, meaning when it's your turn to pick, you have a 2 hour window to type up your pick and hit "Post".

The draft will continue on through Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and potentially Monday, until all picks are made. No one is on a conference call, you are simply watching picks being made until it's your turn.

So, if you can't make any picks on Thursday because that's your local LGBT community celebration and you are the mayor of the parade, it's no problem. We'll simply skip your ass and then you can jump in on Friday and hope that the sucky 4th RB for the Browns that you have your heart set on is still there.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 3:30pm »

Well explained, Markie!

I DIGRESS...
    on Jul 24th, 2012, 11:10am, Drew Rosenhaus wrote:
    We'll simply skip your ass...

Because it'll be gettin' worked anyway...
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 10:10pm »

I'm fine with all that except a 2 hour window, I can't be on call for three days every 2 hours to make a pick, that's dumb!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 10:29pm »

on Jul 24th, 2012, 10:10pm, IbdFunk wrote:
I'm fine with all that except a 2 hour window, I can't be on call for three days every 2 hours to make a pick, that's dumb!

You will not be "on call" every two hours.  When it is your pick, you have two (to three) hours to make it (I have not made any final decisions about how long the selection clock will be).  Do you understand the distinction?
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 11:06pm »

Yes, my preference is to bang it out with one call as we usually do. I also like the ability for trades to happen on the spot, people hacking on guys like Joe P for his shitty picks ect. Just my opinion.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 11:30pm »

on Jul 24th, 2012, 11:06pm, IbdFunk wrote:
Yes, my preference is to bang it out with one call as we usually do. I also like the ability for trades to happen on the spot, people hacking on guys like Joe P for his shitty picks ect. Just my opinion.

Well, first, what you wrote is not really responsive to what I asked. Second, while not impossible, it is unlikely we are going to "hammer out" the draft in one night unless people on the east coast are willing to stay up until 1, 2, 3 a.m. (this has "rush job" written all over it, which, as you all know, I loathe because it defeats the purpose; we enjoy this, right? ). Lastly, I do not think that you appreciate the virtues of and the enjoyment that can be had by doing it slowly over the weekend, not to mention the bonus that could be had for the web site by doing it that way. With that said, I am not committed to anything.  I would just like to see more reasoned and thoughtful opinions on the matter.
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jul 24th, 2012, 11:53pm »

I did not take into account the time changes from where You are to the east coast. Second, all that matters is I am the freaking champion and what I say should go! I do agree with some of your logic though.
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 9:06am »

I would prefer that the draft be conducted in one day.  It would be much less confusing.  In addition, it is hard for me to allot a whole weekend to this draft, especially labor day weekend.  I think my wife would kill me if I ignored her and my whole family for an entire weekend.  

Also, based on Feder's posts, I think that every time it would be his turn, we would all be waiting at least 2 hours or whatever the amount of time that is allotted for each pick and I think that I would go nuts.

If it's just one day, everyone can allot for that time and there is no excuse for not being able to participate.

By the way, has anyone heard from Frank?
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #40 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 11:54am »

I prefer to draft in one day as well.  However, this does not require the entire weekend.  It will require checking in 3-4 times a day for 2-3 days.  If someone is delaying the process too much, then someone can just call them and post their pick.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #41 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 1:19pm »

on Jul 27th, 2012, 11:54am, DB wrote:
I prefer to draft in one day as well. However, this does not require the entire weekend. It will require checking in 3-4 times a day for 2-3 days. If someone is delaying the process too much, then someone can just call them and post their pick.

IF we can get everyone together- we can knock quite a bit of it out in one day.   I for one plan on calling the person who picks after me so they can know they are on the clock.   I would hope the person in front of me does the same.  

This is not rocket science and everyone picked after the 3rd round is pretty much subject to be dropped anyways.....

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 6:06am »

THIS...

on Jul 27th, 2012, 9:06am, Pakman wrote:
In addition, it is hard for me to allot a whole weekend to this draft, especially labor day weekend. I think my wife would kill me if I ignored her and my whole family for an entire weekend.

... coming from the guy who single-handedly knocked out TWO WHOLE weekends during the prime fantasy draft time of mid/late August. I love ya, Rob, and I say this with all due respect. But, come on, man...

We all know family and, for that matter, careers come first, but, as far as I am concerned, this presumably beloved hobby of ours should reasonably register on our personal Richter Scales and be worthy of reasonably significant sacrifice, and spouses hopefully appreciate that. Heck, my wife LOVES that THIS (and not many other shittier things) is my pastime. At any rate, participating in the hobby, especially at a GBRFL level, requires some sacrifice. Work with me here, man...

ANY-way, regarding the Draft, having read through the replies here and spoken with some of you, I am going to present a few options for us to choose from and vote on... Know that, despite my prior statements, I am not married to any one of the options. Indeed, I will present only one truly "over the whole weekend" option. Without further ado, here they are... (Danny , read this carefully, PLEASE, and stay on point!!!)

Option 1: The "Over the Weekend" Option
We "meet" on-line and via conference call on Friday night, August 31st at 8:00 (EST). We anticipatively knock out one or two rounds that night. For the rest of the weekend, we will work with a 30-minute selection clock. Here is how Saturday and potentially Sunday and Monday would go... The selection clock is OFF from midnight until 2:00 in the afternoon (EST) (although you are, of course, welcome to make picks when the clock is off) and ON from 2:00 p.m. to midnight. Granted, the selection clock is quite a bit shorter than I anticipated making it, 30 minutes (not 2 or 3 hours), but it is only ON for 10 hours a day (instead of 16 to 18, which is what I was originally thinking it would have to be). Many factors considered, this calculus just worked the best, and these hours seem like they should be doable in all the time zones involved. 2:00 p.m. to midnight (EST) is noon to 10:00 p.m. (Rocky Mountain), 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific) and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Hawaiian), all doable.

Option 2: The "Hybrid" Option
We "meet" on-line and via conference call on Friday night, August 31st at 8:00 (EST), knock out a few rounds and then "meet" again Saturday sometime between, say, 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. (EST) and knock out the rest. Or, we "meet" between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Saturday or Sunday and finish, respectively, on Sunday or Monday, again, starting at 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. In other words, with this option, we can go Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday or Sunday-Monday.

Option 3: The "One Night" Option
We "meet" on-line and via conference call on Friday night, August 31st at 8:00 (EST) or Saturday, Sunday or Monday between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. (an earlier start time would make more sense for this option) and knock out the draft in one sitting.

For now, PLEASE, for organization's sake, just vote 1, 2 or 3. If we end up going with options 2 or 3, I would like to hammer out preferences with respect to days and times with separate voting sessions. With that said, let's get to voting, fellas!!!

Finally, yes, contact has been made with Francis! He is in the fold and, I am sure, will be logging in and posting sometime soon.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012, 6:08am by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #43 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 1:36pm »

I vote for option #1.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012, 1:36pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 6:41pm »

I vote option 1.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 7:43pm »

Champion votes 1
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #46 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 1:47am »

I vote for option 1.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 1:44pm »

I might vote #1 but it's not my turn until 4:30.

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #48 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 8:42pm »

I prefer option 2, but I can probably make do with any of the options.  

DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #49 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 9:07pm »

Option 1 (but I would say option 3 if we could start at 8 pm ET).
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.