In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 7:27am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call  (Read 5414 times)
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

Re: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
« Reply #50 on: Jul 31st, 2012, 12:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would also choose option 3, but can make option 1 work
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #51 on: Jul 31st, 2012, 12:11am »

also glad to see that you are alive frank
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: Aug 12th, 2012, 4:32am »

Trout also voted for Option 1. So, with that, without my even voting (indeed, I was fine with any of the options, leaned toward #2 actually, with #1 as a close second choice in my mind), Option 1 has the support of the majority of the GBRFL! So, Option 1 it is, and to recap here it is again...

on Jul 28th, 2012, 6:06am, StegRock wrote:
Option 1: The "Over the Weekend" Option
We "meet" on-line and via conference call on Friday night, August 31st at 8:00 9:00-9:30 (EST). We anticipatively knock out one or two rounds that night. For the rest of the weekend, we will work with a 30-minute selection clock. Here is how Saturday and potentially Sunday and Monday would go... The selection clock is OFF from midnight until 2:00 in the afternoon (EST) (although you are, of course, welcome to make picks when the clock is off) and ON from 2:00 p.m. to midnight. Granted, the selection clock is quite a bit shorter than I anticipated making it, 30 minutes (not 2 or 3 hours), but it is only ON for 10 hours a day (instead of 16 to 18, which is what I was originally thinking it would have to be). Many factors considered, this calculus just worked the best, and these hours seem like they should be doable in all the time zones involved. 2:00 p.m. to midnight (EST) is noon to 10:00 p.m. (Rocky Mountain), 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific) and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Hawaiian), all doable.

With this now as our plan, I have posted (what will be) our Draft Pick thread: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=53;a ction=display;num=1344759965. The initial post contains information on how the Draft will work. That thread is locked until the Draft kicks off, that is, until the meeting portion of the festivities on Friday, August 31st is over.

ALSO, I have posted a Protection List thread. Based on the Draft's commencement date, Friday, August 31st, protections are due by Friday, August 24th. Details are on that thread: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=53;a ction=display;num=1344760016.

ALSO, the Draft Lottery will be conducted consistent with how we have done it in the past. It will be held the day after cut-down day. So, the Draft Lottery will be done by conference call on Saturday, August 25th at, say, 7:00 p.m. (EST). Attendance is not required (though we do need at least two people besides myself, and preferably NOT in the lottery, to participate so as to keep it honest).

Well, that's all, folks!
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2012, 5:09pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: Aug 18th, 2012, 5:58pm »

Fellas, I regret to inform yous that we will need to make a slight, but not insignificant adjustment to the start time of the Draft/Meeting!  For personal/family reasons for which I failed to account when deciding on the Draft date(s), it will not be reasonable for me to conduct the commencement of the Draft/Meeting at 2:00 in the afternoon my time.  3:00 to 3:30 my time should work.  So, I have got to push the start time back by an hour or so and, for flexibility's sake, make it a window of time.

AS SUCH, the start time for the 2012 GBRFL Draft/Meeting will be on Friday, August 31st at 8:00 sometime between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m. (EST).  I apologize for having to push the start time back and thank you all for your anticipated understanding and cooperation!

With that said, I hope that the Draft can get started within 30 minutes to an hour of the start time, BUT, though I do not expect much "general" discussion about rule changes this year, THERE ARE going to be two fairly gnarly issues with which we will need to deal.  ONE regards the Draft itself.  I am going to have to make sure that it is abundantly clear to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US how the Draft, once it begins and before people start hanging up from the conference call, is going to proceed throughout the weekend.  This is going to require great listening ears and orderliness of discussion!  TWO should come as music to all of your ears, but I will put it to vote!  I think I have come up with a way to make our lineup-submission process twofold and, thus, better accommodate the Thursday Night games that we have to deal with every week this season (as Steve starkly reminded us earlier in this thread).  It will require quite a bit more work on my part, and I have not raised the league fee in about FIFTEEN YEARS... if you see where I am going with that -- and, meanwhile, times are hard, a reality to which I am greatly sympathetic.  It will also probably result in a delay in the processing of weekly free-agent transactions.  As for the rule itself, the details are fairly gnarly and, again, besides my own clear presentation, will require great listening ears and an orderly discussion!  Honestly, while I will work hard to get something up on our message board here about it before the 31st as well as streamline my presentation, the discussion of this alone could take 30 to 45 minutes because of BOTH its gnarliness AND its IMPORTANCE!

So, all in all, I think it is imperative that we adopt a mindset of "staying on point" during the meeting portion of the conference call on the 31st!  Alright, over and out...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Aug 24th, 2012, 4:48pm »

on Aug 12th, 2012, 4:32am, StegRock wrote:
ALSO, the Draft Lottery will be conducted consistent with how we have done it in the past. It will be held the day after cut-down day. So, the Draft Lottery will be done by conference call on Saturday, August 25th at, say, 7:00 p.m. (EST). Attendance is not required (though we do need at least two people besides myself, and preferably NOT in the lottery, to participate so as to keep it honest).

You all will soon be hearing from me (both by e-mail and here on the message board) on this note...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Aug 25th, 2012, 5:59am »

on Aug 24th, 2012, 4:48pm, StegRock wrote:
You all will soon be hearing from me (both by e-mail and here on the message board) on this note...

Heyas, Everybody!  I just sent out an e-mail to yous all.  Besides providing the conference-call information, I included the following message which I would also like to include here.  Here it is...

It could be cool, if EVERYONE were to show for the Lottery, we could get some of that pre-Draft stuff that I mentioned over on the boards out of the way during the Lottery conference call so we would have less to do next Friday before the commencement of the Draft.  Again, I understand that it may be too late for you all to adjust to it on such short notice, but, if you could do it, that could be cool.  See what you can do!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Aug 31st, 2012, 6:24am »

Early morning on the East coast...  Top of the morning to yous, fellas...  'Tis Christmas morn for us GBRFLers!  Draft (commencement) day!  Relish in the anticipation!  See yous when the sun goes down and the stars come out... back East...
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #57 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 12:22pm »

Steg and company, I really think we need to re-address the lineup submission issue.
 IMO, having only Thursday's evening information to submit a final lineup for Sunday games is not a true reflection of competitive fantasy football as we want it to be for this league. It doesn't matter if it is injury or trades, even though all of us are affected evenly/randomly, IMO it effects trades alot too.
 What happens if a trade is made on Friday after Thursday games(not involving Thursday players)? Does that mean that we cannot start those player that I get in the trade until the following week( 7-10 days later)?
If that is the case...then would a trade need to be in by Thursday night for Sunday games?

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why we can't bring it up again to fix this issue. I know that we said that we would/could talk about it later. We all agreed it needed to be addressed, maybe we can hammer out a solution within the next month or so....it does not need to happen immediately...it really should not be that difficult.
Can we discuss this again please? I know I'm not the only owner who feels this way.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 1:15pm »

on Sep 9th, 2012, 12:22pm, DOLFAN wrote:
Steg and company, I really think we need to re-address the lineup submission issue.
 IMO, having only Thursday's evening information to submit a final lineup for Sunday games is not a true reflection of competitive fantasy football as we want it to be for this league. It doesn't matter if it is injury or trades, even though all of us are affected evenly/randomly, IMO it effects trades alot too.
 What happens if a trade is made on Friday after Thursday games(not involving Thursday players)? Does that mean that we cannot start those player that I get in the trade until the following week( 7-10 days later)?
If that is the case...then would a trade need to be in by Thursday night for Sunday games?

Of course, that is the case, Joe.  If you make a trade after the Thursday night kickoff, the player is unavailable to you that week.  That has always been the case.  Why would that change?

Indeed, what you have done here is not necessarily bring up another reason to get this issue resolved now, but a reason for further pause because trading is a whole nother dimension I actually did not consider in my calculus to make this work!

Quote:
I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why we can't bring it up again to fix this issue. I know that we said that we would/could talk about it later. We all agreed it needed to be addressed, maybe we can hammer out a solution within the next month or so....it does not need to happen immediately...it really should not be that difficult.
Can we discuss this again please? I know I'm not the only owner who feels this way.

I do not know what kind of leagues you are accustomed to, but I am NOT a fan of changing things midseason, midstream.  We had our crack at this.  We let impatience consume us.  Now, we have to live with that.

Moreover, even though I put A LOT of effort into thinking about this heading into our Summer Meeting and wanted to address it, I was not unhappy with the decision.  I think, especially from the perspective of running the stats and thus knowing that aspect of things more intimately and detailedly, our "cascading" takes care of A LOT, MUCH MORE of the issues here than you can appreciate.  Indeed, as Mark highlighted to me after the meeting, it makes you consider the order of your backups with MUCH greater care than in other leagues.

Finally, I do find it a little funny whom I have heard from (including behind the scenes) on this score and the "personal" reasons that prompted them.  I too, if you have not looked, have had, in particular, one totally crappy situation, perhaps the worst of the week: Marshawn Lynch.  With that said, not only is my sentiment not to lament over it, but I rather like that the thought I put into my backups may actually not have been in vain and kick in.

Those are my thoughts!  Knowing the "whole" of our constituency and the directions the conversation is likely to go in, I am not for opening this up after the ball has already been kicked off!  Too much self-interest will be involved.  Feel free to discuss.  Indeed, we need to discuss it.  But, I say we get another thread going and just discuss the impressions we have as the season unfolds and set ourselves up for a heady decision heading into the offseason.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #59 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 1:29pm »

Steg, I know that it will not change this year.
 I was just saying that if we discuss it maybe we wont be rushed, and feel like we are running out of time like Friday night, and the issues gets tabled for another season. That's all I am saying..or suggesting...

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #60 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 2:19pm »

I like the idea of having a thread on this topic, so that we can discuss it as the season progresses.  This will give us an easy forum to discuss the issue in the abstract as well as with regard to particular situations as they arise.

I sympathize with Joe's position, but I think that, had we installed a new lineup submission, we would have had a fair amount of confusion, some possible loopholes, and a lot of work for Stegfucius.  So I am in favor of discussing the proposal, hammering out the issues, closing any loopholes, etc. over the course of this season so that we can, having done our due diligence, decide whether we like the idea of a new lineup submission system and then implement it, if we like it, starting next season.
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #61 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 8:04pm »

I agree. Let's use this area as a way to track issues and possible loopholes that we can refer back to next season when voting on this issue again.

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #62 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 9:44pm »

Since entering line ups is such a critical issue that we HAVE to discuss adding another submission ..............

I have a quick rule clarification. Joe only entered 3 RBs this week (thus why I think adding ANOTHER line up submission is such a mute point-guys cant even take the time to enter 1 correctly.) Am I correct in assuming that his 4th RB would be the RB that was listed 4th last week, then his 5th RB, OR would the RB he added via free agency go 4th? I am sure I could find this answer SOMEWHERE, but thought it would be quicker to ask.

I bring up this question because Ryan Matthews is listed as one of his 3 starters.  He may play- but he may not.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012, 10:35pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.