In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 10:38pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron The... Just Talk Thread

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   The... Just Talk Thread
No topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The... Just Talk Thread  (Read 28185 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: The... Just Talk Thread
« Reply #50 on: Dec 4th, 2012, 8:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tell me about it... You think I did not notice that! He is 3-0 against me, winning all three games by a GRAND TOTAL of 20 points, including an overtime win (where, moreover, his coach only beat mine by two points). Ugh. But, it is not just Joe. I have lost more close games this year than I can shake a stick at. Running the show this year has been rough on me, I must admit. Ah, well... C'est la vie...
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2012, 8:36pm by Stegfucius » Logged
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #51 on: Dec 4th, 2012, 11:18pm »

I don't want to hear it, my season blows as well. Lets start with all the injuries, Hakeem Nicks, Austin, Julio Jones, Fred Jackson, Bennie Wells for much of the season. I love playing against the no name scrub who puts up crazy numbers as their 4th and 5th don't catch balls. The biggest killer for me has been all the career days each player and or df has had against me. Schaubb, Romo both 500 yards, Dfs Tds against me every week, ect. It's been rough to say the least. I'm just trying to get out of the lottery so Frank doesn't get that pick with that trade, I never thought it would be an issue. A least I won it last year so I can't be too mad
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: Dec 13th, 2012, 5:09pm »

The road to the championship has been paved...
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #53 on: Dec 13th, 2012, 9:20pm »

Now it just needs some paint stripes.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #54 on: Dec 13th, 2012, 9:49pm »

God help us!!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #55 on: Dec 16th, 2012, 5:45pm »

My season summed up:

2 seperate kickers in the last 4 weeks. Total field goals made: ZERO.   Pathetic demise

Henceforth my team name is the Irritable Bowel Syndome.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2012, 8:33pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 2:03am »

Heyas, Guys, quick update... since I have received some messages and have not been back in touch. The Stegemans are in the throws of yet another move (it never seems to end, does it?). We are not leaving Hawaii, just switching up digs. The place we dove into a little over a year ago was just no longer suitable. In very short, we are upgrading! In the meantime, midterm time is arriving and so is "letter of rec" time about which, after my first full year, I am learning the "thanks" one gets for being a popular, yet tough, demanding prof (less than 20% A's; more than 40% D's or F's ), that being a ton of students asking to write one for them. Oh, and I am at a high point in the dissertation process, the impending defense of my prospectus. Anyway, back to GBRFL matters, I am not ignoring messages, no less rebuffing offers. I will be back in touch. I am just running on fumes at the moment. Alright, out... ...
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2013, 2:31am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: May 23rd, 2013, 4:40am »

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #58 on: May 23rd, 2013, 3:42pm »

on May 23rd, 2013, 4:40am, StegRock wrote:

Yep, losing a player THIS early just totally sucks.

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #59 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 10:52am »

FINALLY, it is back!!!!!   Enjoy the game and ensure your lineups are in......

Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #60 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 3:20pm »

Gents, it seems to me that this year in particular there are a bunch of strong GBRFL teams, teams with solid starters at all three offensive positions. This observation led me to create the First Annual Rave's "Power-Rankings-Cum-Snide-Remarks."

Stacked and Jacked

Empty Backfield: Best qbs and rcs of anybody. Period. Romo is his backup. Or Cutler. 'Nuff said. Needs some help at rb -- "Empty Backfield," indeed -- but that might not matter. Also, he's got a roster spot saved for Tim Tebow ; he's just toying with us at this point. Like a billionaire using C's for firewood.

Russell's Muscles: 4 of the top 10 running backs, solid qbs, and solid rcs. Somehow he has 5 starting NFL qbs; however, two of them should never come close to starting for him (Locker and Smith), a third is, at this point, a serious wildcard (Freeman), and a fourth -- Bradford -- has yet to prove himself. Interestingly, he's got quite a few basket-case rcs: Blackmon, Johnson, and Britt.Good news for him is that it's quite possible none of them will start for him. Most importantly, though, Dave took the Broncos D/ST with the 2.1 and the Rams D/ST with the 2.6. It's bad enough to take a defense at the 2.1; it's worse to take ANOTHER defense at the 2.6; it's an abomination to use two second round-picks on defenses that very well may end up not being top-10. You would have thought the 2.1 and 2.6 were his last picks in the draft.

Coming up . . . the second tier, with a pre-emptive reply to what is undoubtedly forthcoming, viz., protests from Blind Squirrels Fiddling Around with William's Light-Sabers and from BushWhackers that they, too, are stacked & jacked.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013, 3:21pm by Travistotle » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #61 on: Sep 6th, 2013, 5:20pm »

on Sep 5th, 2013, 3:20pm, Travistotle wrote:
Gents, it seems to me that this year in particular there are a bunch of strong GBRFL teams, teams with solid starters at all three offensive positions. This observation led me to create the First Annual Rave's "Power-Rankings-Cum-Snide-Remarks."

Stacked and Jacked

Empty Backfield: Best qbs and rcs of anybody. Period. Romo is his backup. Or Cutler. 'Nuff said. Needs some help at rb -- "Empty Backfield," indeed -- but that might not matter. Also, he's got a roster spot saved for Tim Tebow ; he's just toying with us at this point. Like a billionaire using C's for firewood.

Russell's Muscles: 4 of the top 10 running backs, solid qbs, and solid rcs. Somehow he has 5 starting NFL qbs; however, two of them should never come close to starting for him (Locker and Smith), a third is, at this point, a serious wildcard (Freeman), and a fourth -- Bradford -- has yet to prove himself. Interestingly, he's got quite a few basket-case rcs: Blackmon, Johnson, and Britt.Good news for him is that it's quite possible none of them will start for him. Most importantly, though, Dave took the Broncos D/ST with the 2.1 and the Rams D/ST with the 2.6. It's bad enough to take a defense at the 2.1; it's worse to take ANOTHER defense at the 2.6; it's an abomination to use two second round-picks on defenses that very well may end up not being top-10. You would have thought the 2.1 and 2.6 were his last picks in the draft.

Coming up . . . the second tier, with a pre-emptive reply to what is undoubtedly forthcoming, viz., protests from Blind Squirrels Fiddling Around with William's Light-Sabers and from BushWhackers that they, too, are stacked & jacked.

And ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: Sep 8th, 2013, 1:02pm »

If anybody happens to be interested, I will be hanging out in the chatroom for quite a bit of the day, guys.  See yous there, perhaps...
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #63 on: Sep 12th, 2013, 3:02pm »

Not-Quite-Delusional Hopes of Grandeur

BushWhackers: All-around solid starting lineup, with pretty respectable depth. No one player there, however, is top-5 at their position. Sorry, Victor Cruz won't always have days like Sunday night, and he won't end up top-5 at RC. Furthermore, if Week 1 is any indication -- which is indeed a dangerous premise -- Schaub, Vick, and Tannehill are going to have a hard time keeping up with Romo/Rodgers/Cutler (Hahn), Luck/E. Manning (Trout), P. Manning/Palmer (Steg), and Brady/Stafford (Parsons). In addition, Richardson/Lacy/Gore/Bush will struggle to produce sufficient yards and tds. All this being said, though, week 1 has taught us like no other week that I can remember that rb is a complete crapshoot. (On this note, how in the heck did Martin, Rice, Spiller, and MJD have absolutely horrific running stats the same week? And, yes, I have 3 of those guys.) More importantly, given our league format, you can in fact lack a true stud, be solid up and down your lineup, and still win. So, all in all, no one has a better shot at beating our "Stacked & Jacked" teams than Warner's bunch.

ALL KAEP'S: Notwithstanding a horrific week 1 (wasting Kaep's huge day), this is a respectable lineup -- second only to Russell's Muscles at rb, with a solid stable of rcs -- but will have to lean on Alex Smith or EJ Manuel to get by at 2nd qb. That's probably not going to cut it many weeks. You would think the combination of Amendola/Boldin/Wallace/Davis might constitute an envious 2-5 rc corps, but injuries (Amendola) and diva complexes (Wallace) threaten to derail that plan. Solid, with an outside shot to take down the big boys, but problems loom.

Blind Squirrels Fiddling Around with William's Light Sabers: The only identifiable weakness here is rb -- Murray will, if history is any indication, not get a whole lot of carries (blame Jason Garrett), assuming he even stays healthy; Miller is relatively untested as a primary ball-carrier; and we all know the travails of Ryan Mathews. Morris should be fine, but there are question marks with the others. Strong at qb -- and Norv Turner can only help Weeden's stats. I'd bet that one or perhaps two of the 3-7 receivers on this roster will become a consistent contributor. With the She-hawks for a defense, the hopes for grandeur aren't exactly delusional; but much will have to go right with the running backs.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2013, 3:29am by Travistotle » Logged
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #64 on: Sep 13th, 2013, 12:57pm »

I enjoy reading these little summaries.  You have to be careful about providing locker room material as well as upsetting some of our more sensitive owners.

Don't see how Not Just Luck doesn't make the last group.  He has a decent starting lineup for once.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #65 on: Sep 13th, 2013, 2:49pm »

on Sep 13th, 2013, 12:57pm, DB wrote:
I enjoy reading these little summaries.

Thanks!

You have to be careful about providing locker room material as well as upsetting some of our more sensitive owners.

Since we have an entire thread called "Trash Talk," I figure our owners better not be sensitive.  One of the joys of fantasy football is talking trash, no?

Locker room material?  That only exists where someone's physically playing a game.  If I make my next week's opponent really angry at me, it won't improve his lineup submission.  

Don't see how Not Just Luck doesn't make the last group. He has a decent starting lineup for once.

Explanation forthcoming.  While you wait, I'll give you this nugget: just because the last few years' cellar-dweller has a "decent starting lineup for once" doesn't mean I move him up more than if he hadn't been the cellar-dweller.  No sentimentality here.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #66 on: Sep 13th, 2013, 3:06pm »

Only thing, T., as time is going by here, things and teams are changing rapidly.  My team, for one, has already had a roughly 20% turnover.  That is to say that I have already through two weeks of free-agency cut four players (all draft picks, incidentally) and have acquired four new players.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #67 on: Sep 14th, 2013, 7:30pm »

Quote:
Locker room material?  That only exists where someone's physically playing a game.

You should've come to one of the drafts...
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #68 on: Sep 19th, 2013, 2:53pm »

Somehow, some way, I feel this news impacts my fantasy team. I just can't quite place how.  

[typed with sarcasm and bitterness]

on Sep 18th, 2013, 8:19pm, StegRock wrote:

Trent Richardson traded to Colts from Browns for pick
NFL.com (18.09.2013 19:21)
Trent Richardson now is an Indianapolis Colt. The Colts completed the blockbuster deal Wednesday, sending a 2014 first-round draft pick to the Cleveland Browns for the second-year running back.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #69 on: Sep 19th, 2013, 4:25pm »

on Sep 19th, 2013, 2:53pm, Drew Rosenhaus wrote:
Somehow, some way, I feel this news impacts my fantasy team. I just can't quite place how.  

[typed with sarcasm and bitterness]

I was quite pleased     Now I just need REGGIE BUSH to play since Eddie Lacey is destroyed.  (and some moron dropped his back up on accident    )

Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #70 on: Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:56am »

I surrender. Trout was right; I completely over-estimated my team.

If 3 weeks are any indication, turns out Kaepernick is a fraud, Doug Martin is mediocre, Spiller is a bust, MJD is toast, A. Johnson can't stay on the field, D. Amendola can't get to the field, and Mike Wallace is a bust.

What was ostensibly a roster with 3 top-16 running backs (and a fourth who was a starter) and with 4 top-30 wide receivers is in fact the following:

Average touchdowns per QB per game: 1.1
Average yards per QB per game: 225

Total RB touchdowns this year: 1
Average yards per RB per game: 62

Total RC touchdowns this year: 0
Average yards per RC per game: 47

Total touchdowns, all positions, through three weeks: 8. 8!!!  That is not a typo.  

Peyton Manning in week one had as many touchdowns as my QBs and RCs have had all year.  Peyton Manning in two weeks has had more touchdowns than my entire roster has in three weeks.

This is, without doubt, the worst 3 weeks of fantasy football I've ever seen for one team. I really did think I had a team that would compete for a plaque; I really did think I had 2 elite RBs, 2 more starting RBs, a competitive QB crew, and a deep and solid set of RCs.  

What on earth is going on?
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2013, 12:59am by Travistotle » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #71 on: Sep 26th, 2013, 8:53am »

Do not have access to change my line up:    

Want to drop lance moore instead of person I have listed.

Thanks for youe understanding.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: Sep 26th, 2013, 4:24pm »

on Sep 26th, 2013, 8:53am, DirkDiggler wrote:
Do not have access to change my line up:  

Want to drop lance moore instead of person I have listed.

Thanks for youe understanding.

Steve,

PLEASE check your private messages!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:57pm »

Boy, did DB have a rough week! I know what it is like all too well.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:57pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #74 on: Oct 7th, 2013, 6:04pm »

I've been trying to figure out how to explain my winless record; theoretically if you can find the problem you can fix it.  I could just follow Feder and say "your team really sucks, dude."  Scary to say, that may in fact be all there is to it.  

The stat that probably most indicates my complete ineptitude is the following.  In our scoring system, not counting the kicker, there are 7 individual offensive categories that are worth at least 3 points if you win them -- QB tds, QB yards, RB yards, RB tds, RB yds/carry, RC yards, RC tds.  None of my starters is in the top-10 in any of those categories.  None.  In any category.  This, despite the fact that at least three of my starters were projected as top-10 all-around at their position.  

Here's the breakdown.  (Not that anyone is interested, but it will give you a good Monday laugh.)

Kaep: 25th in yds/gm, 16th in tds/gm
Smith: 18th in yds/gm, 12th in tds/gm

Martin: 4th in yds/gm, 34th in yds/carry, 28th in tds
Spiller: 21st in yds/gm, 27th in yds/carry, 28th in tds
MJD: 37th in yds/gm, 43rd in yds/carry, 28th in tds

A. Johnson: 19th in yds/gm, 130th in tds (0 tds total!)
Amendola: (1 good wk, then 3 wks injured, then 1 bad wk)
Boldin: 24th in yds/gm, 26th in tds
Wallace: 59th in yds/gm, 67th in tds

So, either my team is playing near its "floor" level, or none of my starters except Alex Smith should be considered top-20 players at their position.  Perhaps Kaepernick is really a QB3, Spiller an RB3, MJD an RB4,  A. Johnson a WR3, and Wallace a WR7.  If so, I've been the absolute worst judge of fantasy value.  But, hey, at least I called Alex Smith correctly: I just KNEW he was a top-18 QB!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

No topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.