In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 12:46am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Rules Talk: Thursday Lineup Submissions

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   Rules Talk: Thursday Lineup Submissions
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rules Talk: Thursday Lineup Submissions  (Read 381 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Rules Talk: Thursday Lineup Submissions
« on: Sep 24th, 2016, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 24th, 2016, 7:13pm, DB wrote:
What I am suggesting is that the lineup deadline be changed to Saturday/Sunday kickoff. If you want to play someone who is playing on Thursday then you have to declare that person "in" sort of like in football when you declare a lineman eligible. This can be done here on a designated Thursday game thread. If you declare that player "in" then the player has to be listed as #1 for whatever position in your lineup.

That is sounding like what Travis and I were talking about a couple years ago. It should probably not be done publicly, though. Still, philosophical sticky points abound, like one's having an advantage in crafting one's lineup knowing what happened with one's player(s) in the Thursday game. In other words, what one's player(s) did on Thursday allows one to theoretically adjust and seek to optimize one's lineup with that performance in mind: for example, one may choose a receiver-type back if one's running back tore it up on the ground on Thursday. Point being, one's being able to craft one's lineup with information that one's opponent is left guessing about is straightforwardly unfair. Adding to the unfairness is the reality that one's opponent does not have such information about his own team if he had nobody playing on Thursday. On the other hand, if the Thursday plays are submitted publicly, the situation is arguably even worse: one's opponent can adjust based on what happened on Thursday. Even if it seems equitable, that kind of being able to peek behind the curtain of your opponent's lineup would seem to be an even more egregious advantage. This is a real Catch 22! Meanwhile, I do realize that virtually all fantasy footballers the world over, from what I can tell, ignore such nuance. I hope we do not. That said, I am willing to hear counterarguments and am ultimately game to solve this dilemma. We just really need to think it through, AND at the same time consider the work it makes for the old commish here (which, by the way, I know Dave is doing).
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2016, 3:53am by Stegfucius » Logged
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

Re: Rules Talk: Thursday Lineup Submissions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2016, 10:05am »

I think that it would be better to have it open so that everyone knows who they are playing against.  Also, I thought about the fairness issue with the line-up.  I think that is minimized by having to playing the Thursday players as your #1.  If you were able to play them as a #4 (for example) and they had a good Thursday game, then you would just plug is an injured player ahead of the Thursday player (so that Thursday player would count).  There is no way that I can see to remove the issue you mentioned ... putting in a receiving RB in if your Thursday RB had a good game.  That would be the price we pay for this type of rule change.

I am not necessarily in favor of any Thursday change.  I think the league is fine as is but was just thinking about this issue so I mentioned it.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2016, 1:25pm »

Reasonable, D.  Let's see what others chime in with...  Maybe the tradeoff is just simply worth it, as you say.

There is one aspect of my post I would like to qualify...

on Sep 24th, 2016, 9:28pm, Stegfucius wrote:
Meanwhile, I do realize that virtually all fantasy footballers the world over, from what I can tell, ignore such nuance.

To be clear, but NOT that I think we should follow the herd, almost all fantasy footballers the world over do not have to worry about this because it is a moot issue in a system based on cumulative points, which is the kind of system that dominates the fantasy landscape.  This just does not matter for upwards of probably 99% of the fantasy football world.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2016, 1:35pm »

On second thought, I have decided to move Dave's whole post over here...

on Sep 24th, 2016, 7:13pm, DB wrote:
You can move this into the "new rules" thread if one is created.  I have been thinking about attempting to fix the Thursday night lineup issue.  I think the goal is to be able to play our Thursday night guys but be able to change the rest of your lineup up until Sunday kick-off (or Saturday for late in the year).  I think the following idea is workable for the lineups but perhaps not when it comes to free agency.

What I am suggesting is that the lineup deadline be changed to Saturday/Sunday kickoff.  If you want to play someone who is playing on Thursday then you have to declare that person "in" sort of like in football when you declare a lineman eligible.  This can be done here on a designated Thursday game thread.  If you declare that player "in" then the player has to be listed as #1 for whatever position in your lineup.  

The problem that I see if with free agency.  I would think we would want to move free agency with the line up submission date but that would cut out the Thursday players.  We could have 2 rounds of free agency (before and after Thursday) but that would just create more work for the commish.

I'm sure that there is a lot I am not considering.  But that is my general thought to get this going.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25th, 2016, 6:49pm »

I personally would like to see it just stay like it is.   Honestly, we have a hard enough time with people getting one line up in, do we really think people are going to submit two line ups in the course of a week?    

If this league was automated, I would think it more feasible.  However, with it be a manual process for both participants and commish, I just don't see it being realistic.    

Finally, I like the extra 'complexity' of having to figure out your line ups on Thursday.   A perfect example was trying to figure out what the heck Rawls was going to do earlier this year.   Ultimately, I decided to sit him....wisely.   I think we all have been rewarded or burned by this.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.