In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:52pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Fantasy team VS Favorite team

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   between the 20's
(Moderators: Umpire, Line Judge, Replay Official, Side Judge, Back Judge, Referee, Head Linesman, Field Judge)
   Fantasy team VS Favorite team
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fantasy team VS Favorite team  (Read 885 times)
steelkings

Email

Fantasy team VS Favorite team
« on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Imagine this: Your fantasy team is tied for the league lead and you are playing your friend who owns the other tied team. Big game and fantasy bragging rights are on the line. Your favorite team, The Philadelphia Eagles are playing their rivals the Giants in an important division game. You have the Giants field goal kicker and you need his three points for the win. The Giants are down by two and are attempting a last second 48 yard field goal for the win. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Which way do you root? Does fantasy football distract from being the avid Eagles fan?  

This weekend I was watching the Steelers/Falcons. My opponent started Alge Crumpler. I think I was way more pissed that Crumpler was scoring than Atlanta in general. I remember instead of being pissed when Lelie scored, I was relieved that it wasnt Crumpler again. It seems that there is something wrong with that. On one hand I should be way more concerned about my Black & Gold. On the other hand it probably saved a perfectly good HD ready TV. I remember when I would live and die on Sundays with just the Steeler game. Now I have to balance that with the Steelers, The Steelkings and the telegoals. Just beginning to seem diluted.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: Fantasy team VS Favorite team
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When it comes down to it, I always would rather have a Giant victory than me pulling out a fantasy win, even in my money league. For me it's Giants first, fantasy second.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

"The Dark Side is Within You"

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:28pm »

Well, for me,  being a Raider fan, it is really tough sometimes.  because I am sooooo competetive, (and wins are so scarce) I would pretty much sacrafice a team win for my fantasy team win.  I personally, have absolutely nothing to do with wether my "team" wins or loses.  I just root for them and yell at Al Davis to myself.  

Whereas my fantasy team, I have EVERYthing to do with that team.  A Raiders loss is not persay a reflection of my abilities, but of my character (kind of) and loyalty.  Versus a loss of my fantasy team will  refelect DIRECTLY on my abilities to coach, research, predict, etc....

So even though I REALLY am a DIE HARD Raider fan, I would say "You better not fucking miss Feely!!"

QB Mcnabb, Warner
RB- LT2, F. Gore, S. Young, K. Keith
RC- Ocho Cinco, G. Jennings, K. Curtis, J. Jerevicous
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:23pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:55am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
When it comes down to it, I always would rather have a Giant victory than me pulling out a fantasy win, even in my money league. For me it's Giants first, fantasy second.

Ditto that... Eagles first, fantasy second. Although I like it when I get both an Eagles win and a fantasy win best! I started cheering for the Eagles when I was three years old. I have a lot more (emotionally) invested in the Eagles than I do any of my fantasy teams, whether there is money involved or not.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:39pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:23pm, Philly wrote:

Ditto that... Eagles first, fantasy second. Although I like it when I get both an Eagles win and a fantasy win best! I started cheering for the Eagles when I was three years old. I have a lot more (emotionally) invested in the Eagles than I do any of my fantasy teams, whether there is money involved or not.

Eagles all the way!!!  Fantasy 2nd.  I will admit that if the Eagles are playing my fantasy player, I hope  that they let him score some.  

I can tell you my 4 year old summed up my feelings yesterday in a split second.  While he is only 4, he loves sports.  He will actually sit and watch the games.  He is a HUGE Eagles fan.  We were jumping up and down and high fiving when the Eagles scored late in the game.  

I then held him in my arms when the Bucs lined up for the 62 yard kick. The moment the ball went through the uprights, his head slammed into my shoulder and he immediately starred bawling.  Crying like you would not believe....  To be honest, I started to tear up cause he was so sad and crying so hard......I could not comfort him.  The look on his face was pure agony......

In that split second, of joy to utter agony, I bonded with my son more than you will ever know.  It truly was a moment that I will never forget.  

On a side note, you tell your kids it is only a game, yet I am screaming and yelling and jumping up and down during the day. 'it is only a game'  I go to his soccer games and the parents are screaming a yelling and cheering.  'yet it is only a game.....'  
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:41pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 4:32pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:39pm, DirkDiggler wrote:

I can tell you my 4 year old summed up my feelings yesterday in a split second.  While he is only 4, he loves sports.  He will actually sit and watch the games.  He is a HUGE Eagles fan.  We were jumping up and down and high fiving when the Eagles scored late in the game.  

I then held him in my arms when the Bucs lined up for the 62 yard kick. The moment the ball went through the uprights, his head slammed into my shoulder and he immediately starred bawling.  Crying like you would not believe....  To be honest, I started to tear up cause he was so sad and crying so hard......I could not comfort him.  The look on his face was pure agony......

In that split second, of joy to utter agony, I bonded with my son more than you will ever know.  It truly was a moment that I will never forget.  

I DIGRESS...
    Similar circumstances in the West household yesterday. My 3.5 year old is just starting to watch football. After a Saturday without a nap and a late-night party (he didn't fall asleep until sometime after 10 PM), he nodded off a bit before noon yesterday and took a massive 4-hour nap. He woke up just around the time the Eagles were coming back. When Westbrook caught that short pass on the Eagles' last drive, he avoided a couple tackles and started towards the sidelines. I'm shouting "get out of bounds" and my son yells "touchdown!" He nailed it, as a couple more missed tackles and BWB was in the endzone. We're both dancing around and high-fiving.  

Then the Bucs get to the Eagles 44 yard line and throw the incompletion with 4 seconds left. I'm thrilled because I know that Gradkowski is going to have to heave it to the endzone (and he doesn't have a strong arm). Then I see them trot out the kicker, and I chuckle a little bit since all day they've been talking about how poor Bryant has been outside the 40, and his career-long is 50.

The tension begins to build as they line up. I'm crouched over, in a two-point stance - hoping to help the Eagles block a kick that will have to have a low trajectory. The kick makes it past the line and is straight... then, inexplicably, it goes through the uprights. I can't even muster a word as I drop back onto the couch, stunned. My son, sensing my disappointment, comes over and gives me a hug and a kiss to try to ease the pain. It's moments like this that put the game into perspective a bit for me.

steelkings

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 7:09am »

I DIGRESS...
    Oh the joy of the sounds of your teenage boy screaming "FUCK!". As the Falcons and Steelers are in the 4th quarter, right about the time that Crumpler scores his last TD, I hear my 17 year old son scream "FUCK!" from the basement. Now a parents first thought is I'll teach that(*%#@) Potty mouth a lesson. However when you have kids that could care less about football you get excited when they get involved. I'm figuring they are checking out the game on the basement TV. I reach the top of the stairs and say. "The Steelers have no answer for crumpler, Huh? My 15 year old says "whats a Crumpler?" I said "The guy who just scored! I heard you yell "FUCK!" "I dont know what your talking about dad. Andy 's yelling at the Nientendo."

Not as heart felt as a hug or a crying 4 year old. Just the sitcom at my house.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 6:20am »

First off,... this is a FANTASTIC thread idea, sk!

on Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:28pm, Oakland4life wrote:
Well, for me,  being a Raider fan, it is really tough sometimes.  because I am sooooo competetive, (and wins are so scarce) I would pretty much sacrafice a team win for my fantasy team win.  I personally, have absolutely nothing to do with wether my "team" wins or loses.  I just root for them and yell at Al Davis to myself.  

Whereas my fantasy team, I have EVERYthing to do with that team.  A Raiders loss is not persay a reflection of my abilities, but of my character (kind of) and loyalty.  Versus a loss of my fantasy team will  refelect DIRECTLY on my abilities to coach, research, predict, etc....

So even though I REALLY am a DIE HARD Raider fan, I would say "You better not fucking miss Feely!!"

For me,... ditto that!!!  Mr. Bronco and Mr. Raider share the same opinion here!  I LOVE my Broncos...  Went all the way from Jersey to the University of Denver to school pretty much for them and sacrificed many a paycheck to get myself in the stadium on Sunday or Monday night (so spare me the piety).  BUT, when push comes to shove, Vick's Vaporizers (of the GBRFL) are mine as is my team in JYJ's league.  The Broncos are not.  I exert absolutely NO "real/tangible" influence over the Denver Broncos organization, Pat Bowlen, Mike Shanahan, John Elway, etc., etc.  Now, I would say this...  If I were to extend myself and get talked into some yadda-yadda Yahoo! league with some dudes on the net, which I did do once about 10 years ago, I would go with my Broncos over that kind of team.  I would say the same for something like the CBFL, as well.  But, no two ways about it, my GBRFL team is WAY MORE important to me than the Broncos.  I'll go this far (and I'm sure I'm going to be punished for it)...  Though I wouldn't have said this prior to '97, I'd rather myself win a(nother) GBRFL Championship than the Broncos win a(nother) Super Bowl. I think I'd say the same for JYJ's league... if for no other reason than I think it could be a good thing for FantasyFootballer.com, which is what I am the biggest fan of at this point in time.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2006, 6:22am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 4:25pm »

Well, this is a little off-topic,... but seems to speak to the spirit or to an integrally related aspect of this thread...  Here I am watching the early-going of the Indy-Denver game.  I have Manning in JYJ's league; I have Denver's D/ST in the GBRFL.  I am rooting for Denver.  I am rooting for my GBRFL team.  PERIOD! (With an exclamation point after it. )  Again,... this doesn't exactly speak to the case in point here, BUT it does to a degree, and, in any event, it is a concrete experience.  I am relating to you all exactly how I feel, ALL things considered, fantasy or otherwise, watching this.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 5:35pm »

Now that is funny!!!

on Oct 24th, 2006, 7:09am, steelkings wrote:
I DIGRESS...
    Oh the joy of the sounds of your teenage boy screaming "FUCK!". As the Falcons and Steelers are in the 4th quarter, right about the time that Crumpler scores his last TD, I hear my 17 year old son scream "FUCK!" from the basement. Now a parents first thought is I'll teach that(*%#@) Potty mouth a lesson. However when you have kids that could care less about football you get excited when they get involved. I'm figuring they are checking out the game on the basement TV. I reach the top of the stairs and say. "The Steelers have no answer for crumpler, Huh? My 15 year old says "whats a Crumpler?" I said "The guy who just scored! I heard you yell "FUCK!" "I dont know what your talking about dad. Andy 's yelling at the Nientendo."

Not as heart felt as a hug or a crying 4 year old. Just the sitcom at my house.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Frankie_Ray
Water Boy
# 1519

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 11:05am »

This is a great thread...

I am a Bears fan, and I;ve been playing FF since 1988.

I've always thought I should have my head examined and that I am the only one who has this "fantasy team vs favorite team" problem...and maybe Im the only one who would go to the extremes that I go to...but I would never be able to start someone who is playing the Bears and remain sane on Sunday.  

I will go to the waiver wire if neccessary to make sure that I NEVER end up playing a guy who is playing my Bears.

I would sit down Tomlinson if neccessarry to avoid this.

Insane, isnt it?

MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 2:01pm »

Your fantasy player is gonna do what he's gonna do regardless of if he's on your bench or not....Play your studs even if they play your team!!! Win/win situation. If he gets shut down and your favorite team wins the game...all is well. If he tears up your team but wins for your fantasy team..all is well. Sit him and he goes off....well then he kicked your butt twice  
Frankie_Ray
Water Boy
# 1519

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 4:51pm »

OK it's gotta be official then...I should have my head examined.

You make perfect sense about the win/win of playing the studs anyway aginst the home team...

I just cant do it!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 3:25am »

on Nov 1st, 2006, 2:01pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
Your fantasy player is gonna do what he's gonna do regardless of if he's on your bench or not....Play your studs even if they play your team!!! Win/win situation. If he gets shut down and your favorite team wins the game...all is well. If he tears up your team but wins for your fantasy team..all is well. Sit him and he goes off....well then he kicked your butt twice  

Steg, the philosopher, must speak...  That, my friends, is a sharp, pithy piece of reasoning.  VERY nice and well-put, MC!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.