In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:11am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Line Judge, Side Judge, Referee, Replay Official, Head Linesman, Umpire, Back Judge, Field Judge)
   What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San  (Read 32689 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
« Reply #25 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 29th, 2006, 5:43am, StegRock wrote:
Guys, I thought I'd upchuck this oldie-but-a-goodie to let yous all know about a great personal and professional triumph I've had as of late.  I'm going to give yous the very short of it, but this is one of those goose-bump stories.  I wish I could just call all of you and tell you the story.  It really is unbelievable to hear A through Z, but here I'm just going to give yous the A, B, C's of it because it's just TOO MUCH to be writing (ab)out.

Yous see...  I have a wonderful, I like to think wondrous, BUT VERY unorthodox and unusual project/dissertation topic.  I've alluded to it and my philosophical interests here and there throughout the site.  Anyway, my one-line title thingy goes something like this:  "The Acting Person Practicing Wisdom - A Common Thread:  Resonances of a Philosophy of Self-cultivation and Person-making between Catholic Personalism, Tibetan Buddhism and Chinese Thought".  Grandiose title thingy aside, this is more directly and simply put as a comparative study of the philosophies of Karol Wojtyla a.k.a. Pope John Paul II, Tenzen Gyatso a.k.a. The Dalai Lama, and Confucius, Mencius, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, and the Yi-jing.  Anyway, I was "whispering from the rooftops" at Catholic U. because there they didn't care about, know about or care to know about Chinese and Buddhist thought, and I've been "whispering from the rooftops" again here at UH because here they don't care about, know about or care to know about the philosophy, the personalism, of Pope John Paul II,... though that IS changing!

So, anyway, as I come to (yet) a(nother) crossroads at the end of this academic year in May as I will be completing my Master's, I have to start planning for the future and where the pages of the next chapter of my life will be turned.  In doing this, I have been speaking to various people to get advice and guidance, mainly people here or back at CUA.  Well, to make a VERY LOOOOONG story short, in a meeting and phone conversation respectively with two key people, Dr. Roger Ames and Msgr. Dr. Robert Sokolowski, my project got poo-pooed.  From Dr. Ames, that wasn't a big surprise.  From MSGR. Sokolowski, it somewhat was.  But, again, truth be said, my deal is quite a bit off the beaten track.  But, I know I am onto something,... though if I told yous that these two responses weren't at all discouraging, I'd be lying.

Well, my day (to break the ice and get my validation) was two weeks ago to the day (Thursday, that is).  Right now, I'm taking this class Confucianism.  We have to do these biweekly short papers.  Based on our readings at the time, I was in a position to defend the existentialism of philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre as having better resonance with Chinese philosophy than it was being credited with and for in general not being entirely adequately depicted.  The paper, moreover, provided me the perfect segue to the personalism of Karol Wojtyla as, ultimately, I don't think Sartre is the ideal guy to do a Confucian comparison with.  Understand, personalism is directly related to existentialism.  In fact, it is also known as Christian existentialism.  Anyway, I got that paper back two Thursdays ago and did glance down at it and saw the positive commentary and good grade.  The professor, Dr. Ni, explicitly states that in light of my paper, he would like to take the first half of the seminar to break away from the syllabus and have a discussion about where we find resonances with Chinese philosophy in the western philosophic tradition.  ALL the usual suspects get mentioned and debated:  Hegel, Heidegger, Dewey, Whitehead, Emerson, Leibniz, and on and on,... all to no conclusion.  I stayed quiet, but as the debate raged on and got nowhere, my heart started to pound, and I started to realize this was my opportunity to present my "deal", which students, having observed my passion for over a year now, have started to become ever so slightly curious about.  I raised my hand and asked Dr. Ni if I could read just a little bit from my paper.  He urged me to.  Here's the preceding paragraph to the one I read which you need to situate yourselves:

They (the writers of the book, Dr. Hall and the aforementioned Dr. Ames of the University of Hawaii) claim that to be compared with Confucianism the social context "must be grounded in deferential relations within interdependent contexts" (not independent, mutual contexts), and that (there must be a recognition that) "the principles of order and value are themselves dependent upon and emerge out of the contexts to which they have intrinsic relevance," and that "laws, rules, principles, or norms have their source in the human, social contexts which they serve."  Hall and Ames say that "the Confucian is more concerned with an explication of the activities of specific persons in particular contexts," and that "characterizing a person in terms of events precludes the consideration of either agency or act in isolation from one another."  In this light they say that "the fatal disadvantage of existentialism is its individualistic presupposition, which make of society a derivative, and therefore abstract, notion," and make their move to American pragmatism, especially that of John Dewey, as a better, albeit still flawed alternative.

And, here is what I read:

While I do not see Sartre as necessarily inconsistent with any of that, I, in any event, think they have not given the wider scope of existentialism its due, that is, namely that of personalism, i.e. Christian existentialism, and particularly that of Karol Wojtyla, Pope John Paul II, all of their anti-Christian rhetoric aside.  In Wojtyla's The Acting Person, along the lines of Ames and Hall's definition of the person, Wojtyla writes that "the human being is a specific field of experiences and understandings," and that "Being and acting 'together with others' does not constitute a new subject of acting but only introduces new relations among the persons who are the real and actual subjects of acting," and that "to be and to act 'together with others' places man within the range of diverse relations."  In dispelling the notion of the person in terms of pure consciousness, the micro-perspective, he too warns of the macro-perspective, the abstraction of society, and the interchangeability of the terms society and community, society "being" the abstraction while community "acts" as the realm of participating individuals.  He views:

"It (participation) (first of all) as a property of the person, a property that expresses itself in the ability of human beings to endow their own existence and activity with a personal (personalistic) dimension when they exist and act together with others...  (and) conceive(s) participation ... as a positive relation to the humanity of others, understanding humanity here not as the abstract idea of the human being, but-in keeping with the whole vision of the human being ...-as the personal self, in each instance unique and unrepeatable.  Humanity is not an abstraction or generality, but has in each human being the particular 'specific gravity' of a personal being."

He concludes (therein in section 2.1 of chapter 16 of Person and Community) "That people fulfill themselves in and through community with others seems beyond doubt."  In The Acting Person, he writes that "The human community is strictly related to the experience of the person," and that "contrary to the implications manifest in the individualistic and anti-individualistic thinking about man they (person and community) are neither alien nor mutually opposed to each other."  He asserts that a person "is capable of not only partaking in the life of a community, to be and to act together with others; he is also capable of participating in the very humanness of others," and that "Only then can we claim that participation serves not just the fulfillment of some individual being, but that it also serves the fulfillment of every person in the community."

Mind you, interspersed throughout that "academic" reading was a bunch of Steggie-style "Who'd a thunk he'd say 'thats'" and "elbow jabs" to the dude sitting next to me.  Throughout, students knodded their heads and were shocked by the fact that it sounded awfully a lot like words Mr. Atheist himself Dr. Roger Ames could have written.  In any event, at the end of my reading, which, again, came after an hour-and-a-half-or-so-long discussion/debate about all the usual Western philsophers we try to plug into Eastern thought, Dr. Ni smiles and simply says, "THAT'S CONFUCIANISM!"  And, we took our halftime break.  AWESOME!!!  What an endorsement!  What timing given the poo-pooing I had been enduring!  Victory!!! Every since, I've had all kinds of students as well as Amesian scholar Dr. Ni himself "much more" curious to hear out what this "Pope guy" has to say here... ...

Restatement... worth making given my "efforts" here...  My one-line dissertation/project title thingy goes something like this (edited part in italics):  "The Acting Person Practicing Wisdom - A Common Thread:  Resonances of a Philosophy of Self-cultivation and Person-making between Catholic Personalism, Tibetan Buddhism and Chinese Thought".
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:41pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 6:01am »

Pulled a REALLY hot move in a recent paper worth sharing with you guys.  It's not a move you necessarily have to be a philosopher "proper" to appreciate.

In Plato's Apology, Socrates is quoted as saying, "the unexamined life is not worth living."  (You all may know that one.)  That lays the foundation for philosophical discourse (over the practice of philosophy) as primary (to the discipline of philosophy).  In the very first line of the Analects, Confucius is quoted as saying, "Having studied, to then repeatedly apply what you have learned-is this not a source of pleasure?"  It seems like the suggestion of the latter (and of the philosophy of Confucius in general, at least vis-a-vis what Socrates is saying above) is that "the unlived life is not worth examining."

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2006, 6:05am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 4:02am »

Yous who have been around here for a while know my relentless persistence like that that went into, e.g., my fighting my way into UH. I don't have a whole lot of quit in me, and, as per my original "vision" with this site back in 2002, as we have just this past August passed the halfway point toward what I see as the imminent future of this site, I thought my most recent entry in my "Journal of Thoughts" was worth sharing with you all...

10/8/04 - Person A's questioning and critiques of Person B and what Person B does are valuable and useful to Person B only to the degree that Person A questions and critiques himself and his own actions and behavior.

Reflection is the pathway to good character.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Nov 14th, 2006, 4:45am »

Steggie-san, coming to a city near you!?!?

This just in,... well, kind of, I had to wait out approval of funding from the Graduate Student Organization here, which came through last Thursday,... old philosopher Steggie will be attending a conference on "The Phenomenology of John Paul II" (web site:  http://www.duq.edu/phenomenologycenter/JPIIconference/) at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA on Friday and Saturday, December 1st and 2nd.  I will arrive in Pittsburgh late the night of November 30th as I will actually be flying into Newark and driving out to Pittsburgh.  At the conclusion of the conference at 5:00 on the 2nd, with Mrs. Steg at my side, I will, alas, head back to Ocean, NJ to see mom after 15 months apart and enjoy some home cookin' for a couple days... and, in a less hectic environment, football. I anticipate our arriving around midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning.  We will be staying through Tuesday early morning.  Don't have much time to get around, but if you want to converge on the old Steggie residence on Sunday for some ball games, mark your calendars and let me know.  Callie, I should surely bump into you over at the Gardens.
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 6:14pm »

We'll definately get together!  I'm anxious to see Gino again, too!  I'll have my famous Christmas lights up before that, and if you want to get together for the games - sounds great!  Either come over to our place or tell me what I can bring to yours.

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 12:35pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2006, 6:14pm, Callie wrote:
We'll definately get together!  I'm anxious to see Gino again, too!  I'll have my famous Christmas lights up before that, and if you want to get together for the games - sounds great!  Either come over to our place or tell me what I can bring to yours.

Oops.  I just found out that Sunday is the date of a business Christmas party (a daytime thing that will probably go on for quite a while) that I cannot duck out of.

Sorry.  No football for me that day.  

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 3:43am »

Well, boyz and galz,... how time changes...  You, old-timers at least, can probably recall the devil of a time I had getting into the program here at UH, spending one year at CUA having to prove myself.  Well, here's the deal...  This could give yous "added" reason for taking a late-winter trip to Hawaii (as if yous need "additional" reasons to come to Hawaii) in March. In March, we have our annual East-West comparative philosophy conference, "Cross Currents", which is now in its second year of funding by some Uechiro foundation out of Japan.  I, for the heck of it, as I've, alas, got people buzzing here about the western philosophical resonances with Chinese philosophy I find, especially that of Wojtyla's/JPII's Personalism, submitted the paper I did for and got an exceptional grade on in my Confucianism class last semester (partial/crux of story above).  I also had, in a not-well-thought-through hectic moment, signed on to be a reader and evaluator for papers submitted for the conference.  Point being, given my anally-retentive sensibility, I contacted the committee and expressed to them whether or not I should be concerned about any "conflict of interest".  I was told that that didn't matter.  A large portion of the students submit papers, and, in any event, the (obvious) focus is on choosing papers coming from outside.  We only look to have a couple people represent us, the host school.  In fact, we only had three UH-ers present last year, and all three were Ph.D. students.  I am just a Master's student.  So, all in all, it was unlikely that my paper would be selected, anyway.  ...  So, get to reading and evaluating.

Well,... you can probably already guess where this is going,... a story of triumph. Only two UH-ers are scheduled to present this year, in fact, both Master's students.  One of them is you all's truly. From rejected by the program twice to being one of two students representing the program alongside presenters we have coming from the likes of Harvard, Columbia, Duke and abroad from, off the top of my head, Germany and Japan.  I canNOT believe it!!!

In any event, I'd love to share this not-all-too-dense, fairly lay-readable work with my Gridiron family here.  In your quiet time, you may just enjoy it, and further come to understand the engineer of this train we got rolling along here, but that was a bit derailed in '06.  A better and better understanding of the heart-and-mind of the old bossman here can only work to heighten the appreciation of "the Gridiron project" and what I am trying to accomplish here, but cannot do alone (though, after successfully "pushing the 'envelope'" here last summer, NEVER again want to endure another '06, which was at the end of the day brutal on me).  Anyway, for those interested, which, as just intimated, should not just include those curious about philosophy, I've posted the paper at one of my domains.  Here is a link to the paper; note, I will be on a four-presenter panel entitled "Metaphysics, Religion and Post-modernism":

http://www.internetstitute.com/Ni-paper.pdf.

I will continue to keep you all abreast (or two) ... of the conference.  Brochures and what-not will probably be coming out at the beginning of February.

I hope those of you who decide to dive in enjoy.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask away right here on this thread.  And, furthermore, if you find any typos, misspellings or grammatical mistakes, let me know,... but not on this thread.  Pop me a private message or e-mail or something.

Over and out...
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 6:27pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 2:00pm »

The link requires a password.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 3:17pm »

No,... it shouldn't.  The page doesn't automatically open up in your browser window because it is a Microsoft Word document ".doc", not a web/HTML page.  You have to choose to either "Open" it or "Save" it to disk.  That's what the IE "File download" box that comes up is indicating.  Give it another whack...
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 3:48pm »

OK, got it!

It still asked for a password. But I just ignored that, left it chugging, and waited till it showed up.  

Can't read it right now, but I will.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 8:44pm »

Just a note to those of you actually givin' this thing a shot, I did (finally figure out how to) make that all-important footnote #4 that, how it had been set-up, started on page 3 and went on into page 4 more readable by having it display in its entirety on one page, page 4.  So, if you are not just taking a look-see on-line and you actually downloaded the paper so as to peruse it later on, you may want to download it again... as that footnote is very important and it is easier to read all in one lump as opposed to at the bottom of two pages.
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #36 on: Jan 16th, 2007, 12:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If I may Steve, apologetically, take liberty (albeit MUCH liberty is being taken) with your paper here. I'd like to try to sum up in a short paragraph or so, as to how I personally see "The Issues of Transcendence and the Insistent Particular" as it pertains to The Gridiron "Community". I do realize that your thought covers (in  immense fashion) life actions in reaching out and beyond all subject matter presented to us, but my intentions are solely to scratch the surface within this community.  
  First of all.... I like the way Schmitz relates transcendence as "our going out to the things around us, in coming to know them, in interacting with them and being affected by them."  Also the way he simplifies vertical transcendence as "a call to us to progress toward the highest realization of values, which in turn would provoke genuine change within us so as to surrender the self that we presently are to the self that we might become." Secondly, I like how JP II defined intersubjectivity  as the dimension that is "reducible to treating and really experiencing 'the other as oneself'".  
  Taking these quotes, along with my own "learned" experiences through my upbringing and in my day-to-day life, I'd like to define "community" as I think it should pertain to the Gridiron. Without diving into and/or quoting your past posts on "participation" to the Gridiron, I think it's common knowledge and reasonable to say that your intent for this community is to bring a "brotherhood" vibe to it. Not merely a vibe, but a closeness that would make the Gridiron more personable and cause each individual to feel  "ownership", and pride in that ownership.
  Our interactions here should be well thought out, courteous and thought-provoking. We should be taking into consideration other's values, thoughts, and ideas. Basically, we should treat others as we would want to be treated ourselves. Participation is the key to transcendence and will keep the Gridiron fresh and fun for all of us and will attract new-comers and assure future growth. It is in that actus personae that I could see the magazine come to a reality.
  Anyway, as I said I am only touching the surface of your paper Stegger. I want to encourage everybody to get involved in what is going on here and participate. Don't just tell us who you'd start or trade for on  any given Sunday. Add the main ingredient..."you".... and allow others to learn about you. If you are not participating in any of the "Get to know" forums here, then I encourage you to do so. Especially with the off-season looming around the corner. Don't be a stranger!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 16th, 2007, 2:48pm »

VERY well done, MC! Well thought-about and well written!  I like what you decided to highlight, most notably the idea of "participation".  Your last paragraph seems to be dead-on as well.

I do, however, furrow my brow at your choice of the word ownership.  For onlookers, I do want it to be clear:  it is not a word that appears anywhere in the paper.  It is a word that has "come up" before.  It is a word I am rather uncomfortable with.  My sensibility is that it is fundamentally anathema to the notion of "co-op" I try to forward here.  It is surely not possession, nor even universal ownership, that defines the co-op as I see it.  It is rather universal non-ownership that provides the right groundwork for a healthy co-op.  However, I just do not think ownership is the right word to even be thinking in terms of.  I am not going to say that there is absolutely no way to navigate around the term, that there is not some sense in which it is applicable.  But, that would be a VERY refined sense.  Again, in general, it is probably not the word for folks to be thinking in terms of.  There are other better ones, namely brotherhood, which you also mention.  I think the following quote from the paper from JPII's The Acting Person captures quite better the sensibility I think you are trying to get at:

"The notion of neighbor has ... a deeper application ... to interhuman relations, and it is thus more fundamental than the notion of membership in a community.  Membership of any community presupposes the fact that men are neighbors, but it neither constitutes nor may abolish this fact.  People are or become members of different communities; in these they either establish close relations or they remain strangers - the latter reflects a lack of the communal spirit - but they are all neighbors and never cease to be neighbors."

One other thing, in your third sentence, MC, I think you may be missing a word, a verb or something, that is making the sentence difficult to understand.  I think you are trying to communicate something very nice to me. It is just that I do not know exactly what it is.

In any case, thank you so much, MC, for taking this time out of your busy life to actually read through this thing and post your thoughtful commentary.  It is not light reading, and you surely displayed a reasonable understanding of it, which surely took patience and due diligence on your part.
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jan 16th, 2007, 3:22pm »

Yeah......I paused when I wrote "ownership" but I just couldn't think of the proper word/words to say. The way in which it was rolling around in my head was self-termed as taking ownership in the sense of treating The Gridiron as if you owned it by putting 100% of yourself  into what is going on here so as "to get it" and hopefully let others "get it". If that makes sense. Any how in my third sentence, I was basically trying to say that I know your paper is speaking about much greater life philosophies than just Gridiron stuff and I was trying to let you know that I "get that". It can be frustrating to put your view out there and then have someone relate to just  the tip of the iceberg while not understanding that there is so much more under the water's surface than what you can see visually. I just wanted to ensure that you knew I was only scratching the surface of what you wrote and not trying to minimize it by saying that I could sum up the whole thing in a paragraph.

also..I never read anything JP II ever wrote until now. I didn't realize he was such a "heavy hitter". It stands to reason that he would be philosophically sound though! Just never thought of him that way. Eye opener for this Protestant!
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2007, 3:29pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 8:30pm »

Just sharin'...  Nothing's been updated at the site yet.  I'll let yous know when there is.  But, here is the initial postcard thingy that was sent out...

Incidentally, I have made a couple important revisions to the paper, one is around the area where I discuss the vulnerability of Ames and Hall's position to the "opposite" critique of the one leveled against Descartes, the other is around the area where I discuss "Chuang Tzu's fish".
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:27pm »

This is almost more me thinking aloud than anything...  But, for those following along,... content has been added and tweaks have been made to the following area of the paper:  between the paragraph that starts at the bottom of page 22 and the paragraph that ends at the top of page 25.  Moving right along,...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 6:40am »

FYI, FTI, footnote 16 on page 8, quote from Wojtyla's/JPII's Person and Community added.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 3:06am »

Subsequent to some in-depth discussion with some colleagues of mine here who have read the paper, I have done some significant reworking and further augmentation.  Bottom line, I'm now going for the jugular... kind of.  I mean I am ultimately very supportive of the Amesian person-making project and vision.  That's clear.  But, heretofore, the paper beat around the bush of the bottom-line problem with his model, its inability to even just allow for an account of consciousness.  That is really where... Before, my paper was leaving the proverbial "elephant in the room" alone and permitting him the easy semantic move of just opting out of the term "intersubjectivity" as a specific response to my paper, but ultimately leaving the crucial substantive issue of consciousness unsolved.  Making the point about consciousness explict really ups the ante and, moreover, ties the paper together.  In the draft that is now up, the sections that have been reworked and augmented are in blue font:

http://www.internetstitute.com/Ni-paper.pdf.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008, 12:11am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 3:23am »

on Jan 15th, 2007, 3:43am, StegRock wrote:
Well, boyz and galz,... how time changes...  You, old-timers at least, can probably recall the devil of a time I had getting into the program here at UH, spending one year at CUA having to prove myself.

Ahhh...  How times, they do change... from fighting my way in to...

I was recently requested to do a book review for the University of Hawaii's Journal China Review International.  Due June 1st and probably published a few months thereafter will be my first very own professional publication in Philosophy, a review of Kim-chong Chong's Early Confucian Ethics.  Yous know...  When I was first asked, I was like, "Are you kidding me?  I'm not worthy."  But, then, I flipped through the book and realized, "Holy shit!  I actually know what this is talking about.  This is what I do!"  It was a wonderful feeling and experience.  Anyway, unbelievable...  I'm building that resume, getting a nice opportunity to get a little ahead of that "publish or perish" curve.

Furthermore, (what amounts to a precursor to my paper presentation at the conference) I will be doing a graduate student colloquium tomorrow (Thursday) on "Alternatives for East-West Comparativists:  The Personalism of Karol Wojtyla".  And, the turnout at my secular home school here looks like its gonna be BIG! Here's the flyer that went up:

Tomorrow I will just be pitching the strong resonances between Wojtyla's Personalism and the person-making project of (the Amesian) Confucius.  I really won't be getting into the thesis of the paper, the problem(s) with the Amesian Confucian vision and my proposed "Wojtylian" solution(s).  That will come at the conference (remember Dr. Roger Ames, with whom I have an exceptional relationship, is the HEAVY hitter faculty member here in UH's Philosophy Department).

So, if you are interested, the version of the paper as it is now available to yous, is further "color-coordinated", so to speak:  what's in blue font is what I will be presenting at the colloquium (tomorrow/Thursday), what's in orange is what I will emphasize at the conference (in March), and what remains in black font is, in short, the mortar, so to speak.

Anyway, patience and persistance surely are virtues...
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 8:24am »

Steg--

Congrats man.  Seems you are on quite a roll!!!  Book reviews and everything!  Pretty funny how things worked out in the end.  Hell of a battle to get to where you are at, but look at you now......

So....how did your colloquium go?

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #45 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 9:49am »

Tony_O

Email

« Reply #46 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 4:10pm »

Congratulations on your hard work and dedication......oh I mean the fruits of your labor.....oh I meant your recent success!
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #47 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 8:02pm »

Ditto!  But not surprising.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 2:39am »

The colloquium went well.  Frankly speaking, though, too much of a "home-field" crowd for my liking,... all those who are already pretty much sold on what I'm pitching.  Point being, I'd rather have dudes who the material challenges and who can challenge me on the material coming so that a rich dialogue can ensue.  With others seeing clearly whence I am coming and in general agreement, the conversation would not have to be between just the questioner and me.  Others could weigh in... and not just on the audience's side, so to speak.  But, alas, at a secular, public school, people aren't nearly as open-minded as you'd expect.  Though UH has grown on me and I'm getting the HUGE dose of Eastern Philosophy I sought, the truth is an irony:  CUA was a more open-minded milieu.  If only Dr. Cua were still there,...

Anyway, update on the conference and the paper (especially for those who have not read the paper yet or at least since like the first time I posted it),... we received our first notice from the conference coordinators.  Our papers in their "final form" for the purposes of the conference are due on March 5th for posting on the conference web site and general distribution.  So, if you want to give it a(nother) read, at this point you might as well just wait until that date.  I must admit it's still "surging".  By March 5th, this thing is going to be... I've already made the problem of consciousness explicit.  I've already been told by the likes of Dr. Rev. Frances X. Clooney of Harvard University that this thing could surely be published after the conference... Here we go...!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 4:16am »

Just two weeks out... The goods have gone live...  Check out your first to bat on the "Religion, Science and Postmodernism" panel...

http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/gradconf/!!!

The paper posted there (as well as the one I have been maintaining via the link above) is the FINAL version, at least, as far as the conference goes...  Personally, I think it's basically ready to go to print...
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2007, 4:17am by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.