In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 5:15am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Bleachers

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   the Bleachers
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Bleachers  (Read 9025 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

the Bleachers
« on: Apr 25th, 2003, 2:32pm »

the Bleachers
If you want to chat about anything under the sun besides football and without its having to be intertwined in a football-related conversation, such as other sports, baby announcements (eh-hem), cooking, pets, politics, economics, religion, philosophy, sex, chicks, books, whatever, etc., etc., as long as it is not covered by one of our other "thematic" threads like birthdays or news-makers, this "STICKY THREAD" is for you!  Enjoy!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: the Bleachers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 2:48pm »

Okay, a couple notes here first...

1. Why did I start this thread? Because, well, frankly speaking I, the admin, really wanted to talk about something unrelated to football and, especially because of its timely and general nature, did not want to have to weave it into a football-related thread. I do not think that would really have been possible, as you will see below. I have to admit to you, though, that my need to do this is due to my lack of human contact at this juncture in my life. If I had a proverbial "water-cooler" to go to, I probably would not have needed this outlet. Anyway...

2. Why is it called "the Bleachers" and not "the Cheap Seats", which had been suggested by one of our esteemed members on the "Offseason on 'the Gridiron'" thread? That is because, with all due respect to the member that came up with that, if you really think about it, "the Cheap Seats" really does not fit the categories of the boards on "the Gridiron", at least not even close to how well "the Bleachers" fits. If this forum were called "the Stadium", the board breakdowns could then be something like "the Luxury Box", "the Box Seats", "under the Ledge", "the Second Tier", "the Cheap Seats", "the Nose-bleeds", etc., etc.! WOW! I must digress.  Where else would you find a forum admin with enough confidence to permit a cool idea for another FF forum to be described so openly like that, no less give the idea himself? Nowhere fuckin' else is the answer! Just remember to give me my due if you do take the idea and strike out on your own. Anyway, the point being, "the Red Zone", "between the 20's", "the Sidelines"... and then "the Bleachers", logicially, just makes more sense and fits the context better.

3. Given the implication of what I state above, "the Bleachers" sticky thread gives you guys somewhat of an opportunity to show me the value of having a "free-for-all" board, which I am still disinclined to add. So, is this a bit of a test of sorts? I suppose yes! It could be looked upon as the first step in a process that could lead to "the Bleachers'" becoming the "open-discussion" board of "the Gridiron"! Ultimately, though, right now and for the foreseeable future, it is what it is and nothing else!

Well, let's get this sucker moving...
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2003, 11:05pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 3:27pm »

Well, what I wanted to bring up...

Yesterday was one of those GREAT sports days for me (outside of football)! I am basically a fan of the other three major professional-sports leagues... the MLB, NBA and NHL, and I WON BIG yesterday (remember I am not a gambler, so this does not mean money)! All three of MY teams in each of the respective leagues WON while all three of my MOST-HATED teams LOST! Fuckin' awesome! And, two of those losers' losses came in dramatic fashion, keeping me up until like 2:30 in the morning last night.

- MY New Jersey Devils smacked the Lightning!
- MY Boston Celtics whacked the Pacers!
- And, MY Montreal Expos (I know that is a weird one, but I never really had a baseball team that I was smitten with until I learned of their story, i.e. their storied history as being the MLB's GREATEST farm team... farm system, back during the strike season when they were probably cheated out of a championship... run at least, and I fell hard and deeply in love ) reduced the Diamondbacks to broken goose-eggs!
Between MY Devils and MY Expos, we gave up "0" points yesterday!

ON TOP OF THAT...
- The cheeseball L.A. Lakers got their bell rung and got humiliated by the Minnesota Timberwolves in a home-court game where the officials were trying their asses off to GIVE the La-la-land Lakers the win and, instead, gave them a demoralizing loss; making it all more poignant, you should have heard those whiny, fair-weather La-la-land fans of theirs.
- The wanna-be Dallas Stars , who should still rightfully be the Minnesota "Northstars", up where they live and breath hockey and with a cool name, not just the Stars, which is the proper name for a tee-ball team of 5- and 6-year-olds, blew their Game 1 against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, another suspicious game in which the officials handed the Stars a huge call discounting the Ducks first overtime goal , the ultimate result of which, though, will probably be the demoralization of the Stars in the process.
- Papa Steinbuyers' (tell me that wasn't an awesome usage of "what a dickhead" ) spendthrift and media-hungry New York Yankees took one on the chin at the hand of the Anaheim Angels.

The sychronicity of it all is SO great. The Minnesotans got their around-about paybacks while the Californians, who I have nothing against, actually, still got to enjoy a night of overall victory.

AWESOME DAY OF SPORTS!

Go DEVILS! Go Celtics! Go Expos!
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2003, 3:44pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 7:37pm »

Yes, the Lakers lost.
Yes, the Lakers played like crap and deserved to lose.
Yes, the referees were terrible and blew a TON of calls.
Yes, the Lakers were pathetic.

But...

The Lakers are still the Back to Back to Back World Champions and the Boston Celtics have abosolutly ZERO chance of winning it all.  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 9:25pm »

on Apr 25th, 2003, 7:37pm, Walker Boh wrote:
Yes, the Lakers lost.
Yes, the Lakers played like crap and deserved to lose.
Yes, the referees were terrible and blew a TON of calls.
Yes, the Lakers were pathetic.

But...

The Lakers are still the Back to Back to Back World Champions and the Boston Celtics have abosolutly ZERO chance of winning it all.  

PA Outlaws

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 10:14pm »

Always liked you Steg but now I find out your really a   Devils fan! Go Flyers!!!

Anyway, I think I have a great topic for the new bleachers section ::: Hot Wing Recipes  
I'm looking for anyone who has a good hot wing sauce recipe! The hotter the better!! . I hope this is the kind of studd that belongs in the Bleachers!!!
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 11:35pm »

The amazing thing about the LA vs. Minny game is that the Minnesota played basically the entire OT period with out, in my opinion this year's MVP, Kevin Garnett.

You can't say that the refs were purposely giving bad calls in favor to the T-Wolves, because towards the end of the game, Kobe had a drive to the bucket and was blatantly fouled but there was a no call.

NBA has always been my favorite sport to both play and watch, even though the NFL is alot more fun to watch. Though, I can't really say I have a favorite NBA team considering that my favorite team has been totally dismantled... The Sonics of the 90s were my team, with phenom Shawn Kemp, Detlef Schrempf, Gary Payton, Xavier McDaniel, Nate McMillan, though, absolutely no one remains from that team, therefore my lack of a favorite team.

Though, the teams I've been rooting for would have to be Phoenix, Golden State, and the Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix is playing great, Golden State will be a playoff-calibre team next year, and well... the Clippers will still be the Bengals of the NBA.

I have litte interest in hockey, although I'm a  Devils fan.

And even less interest in MLB, though I root for the Seattle Mariners.  
PA Outlaws

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 10:47am »

Personally, I am not much of a baseball or NBA fan anymore. In the 80's and early 90's before I kind of lost some interest, I like the Mets (Mookie Wilson was and still is the MAN!!! ) and I like the Bulls (How could you not like Jordan!, even though John Paxson was always my favorite!) Now I follow all the Philadelphia (local) teams! Hockey and football are my sports....GO FLYERS!!!!! ......... GO EAGLES!!!

P.S. Quick message for all Devils fans ..

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26th, 2003, 12:24pm »

on Apr 26th, 2003, 10:47am, PA Outlaws wrote:
....GO FLYERS!!!!! ......... GO EAGLES!!!

P.S. Quick message for all Devils fans ..

"Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh) "Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh)
"Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh) "Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh)
"Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Cel--tics------and-Ex-pos)

And, this ultimately is a football forum.  So, let's never forget my Donkeys!

God, I am more committed to my sports teams than my wife!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 2:09am »

I'm proud to say that I'm a four-for-four fan...  Yes, I cheer all four local teams in the four major sports.

Philadelphia Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, and Sixers (in that order).
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 8:12am »

on Apr 27th, 2003, 2:09am, Philly wrote:
I'm proud to say that I'm a four-for-four fan... Yes, I cheer all four local teams in the four major sports.

I too am a 4 for 4 fan!!  Same teams!!  

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 11:02am »

I'm proud to say that I'm a four-for-four fan... Yes, I cheer all four local teams in the four major sports.

Georgraphy by chance, principle/"reason" by choice!

And, by the way, anybody on PA's hot-wing sauce recipe that he needs?  I am at a loss on that request!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 12:50pm »

Quote:
And, by the way, anybody on PA's hot-wing sauce recipe that he needs?  I am at a loss on that request!

I must confess, I never make my own - always order out.
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 1:47pm »

I'm proud to say that I'm a four-for-four fan...  Yes, I cheer all four local teams in the four major sports.

This is really cool , but it's not something you can control . Favorite teams come about in so many different ways. Here's my story:

I was born in CT and my Dad and Grandpa were HUGE Yankee fans, therefore I was "raised" as a Yankee fan. Then we moved to CA where my old man had season tickets for the Angels. I grew up watching guys like Brian Downing, Freddy Lynn, Bob Boone and Reggie Jackson, so naturally, I'm a huge Halo fan.  

Baseball = Angels (geography) & Yankees (family)

When I was about 10 or so, we moved to CO and I started watching football and this young QB named John Elway. I got to meet John at a Broncos' practice and that was it. 18 years and 5 Super Bowls later, I'm still a diehard fan.  

= Broncos (geography)

Now Basketball gets a bit hairy... As a child, my father was (and still is) a HUGE Celtics fan and my Mom rooted for the Lakers (seeing as she has absolutely no interest in sports now, I think she was just doing it to piss my Dad off! ) so I could have gone either way. For some reason, I found myself rooting for the Celtics and it stayed that way until we moved to CO and I went to a Denver Nuggets basketball camp. It was one week long and I got to meet guys like Alex English, T.R. Dunn, Calvin Natt and Fat Lever (remember Blair Rasmussen, I do ). I didn't stand a chance... my new team became the Nuggets. When I was about 14 or so, we moved back to CA, and for years I was hounded by all the Laker fans. I just couldn't bring myself to root for guys like Magic, Kareem and Worthy, my Celtic roots just wouldn't allow it (for some crazy reason I liked Kurt Rambis, I think it was the glasses. ) That all changed when Shaq and Kobe came to town... All the old guys were leaving and after a few years of watching them play all the time I found myself rooting for them.  

Basketball = Lakers (geography & friends), Celtics (family) and Nuggets (geography)

I was never a big hockey fan and a few years ago, I figured out why. I always had a hard time following the puck and I didn't really understand the rules (for some reason, "Offsides" and the "Two Line Pass"  just didn't click in my head ). Then, I went to see my first game at the Pond in Anaheim and gained a whole new respect for it. It was much easier to follow the puck and it was awesome to actully watch the plays develop. (TV typically follows the puck and you don't see a lot of things until the last second). Instead of "seeing" the hits, I "felt" them and since that day, I've been rooting for the Ducks. I also like the Kings, but that has slowly changed since the loss of Robitaille, Blake and of course, "the Great One". IMO, Hockey and Baseball are better "LIVE", but Basketball and Football are best enjoyed sitting on the couch.

Hockey = Ducks (geography) and Kings (geography)

There are endless possibilities to finding a favorite team, but I think the two biggest factors are geography and family/friends. As long as your loyal, you're cool in my book. It's those "bandwaggoners" or "frontrunners" that get under my skin. For example, one of my friends roots for Dallas, Sacramento and San Antonio simply because they have the best chance of beating the Lakers... Now that's what I call pathetic.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 3:44pm »

In specific response to Walker's post...

First off, in hockey, I still don't really "get" offsides, two-line passes or, for that matter, icing, and I have been to my share of hockey games... went to one of the bigger hockey schools in the nation, the University of Denver.  Don't worry about explaining this stuff here, though, fellas, at least not for/to me!  As I see it, it is something that is on a "need-to-know" basis and I don't need to know, and getting into it here is going to get VERY convoluted.

Secondly, I agree with your last paragraph, Walker, wholeheartedly.  "Bandwagoners" SUCK! Bunch of 's...

However, lastly, your whole thing about how die-hard fans "choose," or should I say "do not have a choice in," what their favorite teams are, I really question.  Don't get me wrong!  I think you are right.  I too think that is how (too) many people choose their favorite sports teams.  Actually, that is the way (too) many people make (almost) all of their "choices" () in life.  Moving right along, you point out three categories:  family, geography, and friends.  First of all, what is not covered by that?  That is a pretty broad (but valid, as I mentioned above) spectrum.  Moreover, though, my issue is one of logic.  All of those three factors to which you mention (people "come about" having their favorite teams and based upon which I would say people make even greater life decisions) are very subjective as opposed to objective, impulsive or conditioned vis-a-vis "chosen" by way of individual creative thought/reason/free-will and, ultimately, chance and not choice.  I am going to leave it at that for now.  You guys are going to get to know me down through the years here (hopefully), and I, you all.  You will learn about me, though, that that is how I live life... all the time, which includes here on "the Gridiron".  I want my decisions... my life to be about something "inside" me that I see, understand or have "reasoned" through (by way of my free-will if you will ) and not just only about what happens to be around me, my surroundings, circumstances or other external influences.  We/I could go on forever here philosophically.  Just try to think through whence I am coming before, perhaps, jumping down my throat!

Oh brother! That was heavy, huh?  You guys who have come to know me on a philosophical level and read Walker's post above, though, had to know this was comin'!
PA Outlaws

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 11:03am »

Enough of the heavy shit already! Now on to inmportant things: HOT WINGS!!!   Seriously, I find it hard to believe that with some many hardcore football fans, thta no one has a good hot wing recipe!!!  
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 5:13pm »

When it comes to sports teams, I too am just like Walker.  

I too grew up in Connecticut. My late father was a huge Giants, Yankees, and Rangers fan. I too rooted for the Giants and Rangers, but in the 70's, I was infactuated by the Red Sox. Fred Lynn, Dwight Evans, Yaz, Rice, Fisk, Tiant, Hobson, Remy...man, they were great to watch. Then we moved to Houston, and we watched many games at the Astrodome. We became huge Nolan Ryan fans, so we rooted for the Astros. My neighbor across the street went to high school with one of the Oiler wide receivers, so we rooted for the Oilers as our AFC team, because we were still diehard Giant fans. Three years later, the move to Northern California and the sucess of the A's at the time made us cheer for guys like MacGwire, Canseco, Stewart, Rickey and Dave Henderson, Carney Lansford and such. Now, basketball was never big for me. I really love college hoop, and while living in Houston, Akeem Olajuwon was in college at UH. When he went to the Rockets, I followed him. Now, since I live close to Sacramento, I kinda follow the Kings, although the Warriors are exciting to watch now days. So, in a nut shell, these are the teams I root for...

Football: Giants and Titans, alhough I am starting to like Marvin Lewis and the Bengals now. I think he's a great coach.

Baseball: Astros and A's

Hockey: Rangers  

Hoop: Kings and Warriors

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30th, 2003, 3:04pm »

Users online

0 Guests, 7 Users

Philly, Cirrinone, ZAGS, dowens11, StegRock, PA Outlaws, Daunte Williams  

Not too shabby for a Wednesday in April...  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30th, 2003, 3:14pm »

Actually, the best today, as I recall, was 3 Guests and 6 Users!  But, whatever, it's ALL GOOD, right?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: May 1st, 2003, 3:24pm »

on Apr 28th, 2003, 11:03am, PA Outlaws wrote:
Now on to inmportant things: HOT WINGS!!!  Seriously, I find it hard to believe that with some many hardcore football fans, thta no one has a good hot wing recipe!!!

Still NO word on PA's hot-wing sauce recipe!
PA Outlaws

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 1st, 2003, 3:53pm »

I know Steg, I can' tbelieve it! ???
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: May 1st, 2003, 9:09pm »

Are you all seein' what my MY Boston Celtics are doing to the Pacers tonight?

And, MY Montreal Expos continue to "sweep" through MLB!

And, what do I have to say about MY #1 New Jersey Devils other than, "They fuckin' ROCK!"?

And, now, our Chief is proudly speakin' to our couragous and victorious boyz and girlz !

What a GREAT night!
PA Outlaws

Email

« Reply #22 on: May 1st, 2003, 10:37pm »

Big Win for the Flyers tonight!! Steg, I'm hoping for a Flyers vs. Devils series!
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #23 on: May 2nd, 2003, 8:20am »

How about those Lakers! That was a great series full of awesome highlight plays. Minnesota gave us a much needed wake-up call and LA is in a good frame of mind heading to San Antonio. This may sound crazy, but I'm glad we don't have home court advantage. All the pressure will be on SA in the first 2 games and the Lakers play well away from home. I look for them to take at least one of these first 2 games and head back to LA with the home court. The Spurs were the best team durring the regular season, but I can't imagine them playing any better then the Timberwolves did. We'll see. Go Lakers!  

Did anyone catch Artest's latest outburst? That guy is a walking time bomb. The Celtics had a great series but they will have their hands full with New Jersey. Like any of that matters... Everyone knows the East is playing for second place. Anyone disagree and think the East can beat the West?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: May 2nd, 2003, 9:14am »

on May 2nd, 2003, 8:20am, Walker Boh wrote:
How about those Lakers! That was a great series full of awesome highlight plays. Minnesota gave us a much needed wake-up call and LA is in a good frame of mind heading to San Antonio. This may sound crazy, but I'm glad we don't have home court advantage. All the pressure will be on SA in the first 2 games and the Lakers play well away from home. I look for them to take at least one of these first 2 games and head back to LA with the home court. The Spurs were the best team durring the regular season, but I can't imagine them playing any better then the Timberwolves did. We'll see. Go Lakers!

I knew something was going to ruin yesterday!

Quote:
Did anyone catch Artest's latest outburst? That guy is a walking time bomb. The Celtics had a great series but they will have their hands full with New Jersey. Like any of that matters... Everyone knows the East is playing for second place. Anyone disagree and think the East can beat the West?

But, you were basically nice to my Celtics, so I'll change that to a...
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.