In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:09am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Movies

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Referee, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Side Judge, Replay Official, Line Judge, Field Judge)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Movies
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Movies  (Read 5996 times)
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

Re: Get to know your Gridironers - Topic:  Movies
« Reply #25 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 8:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK--

After much thought and deliberation, I am finally ready to post my second movie.  While technically they are two seperate movies, I am counting them as one.   I couldn't come up with a deep meaning as to why I like them so much.  But I can tell you why I am adding them to my list.  

I usually don't like watching a movie a second time.  But these two movies are movies I  watch pretty much every time TBS and TNN run them.  Something about them entrances me and I get sucked in to the "feel good" nature of the movie.

Enough waiting....my second movies are:

Dave   and   American President
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2003, 8:15am by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 10:57am »

on Jun 29th, 2003, 3:23am, StegRock wrote:
What would you guys say here?  Do you think movies like those should be counted in this kind of thing?  Can they even be compared to contemporary movies fairly?  Are they just too "different", in genre and in the "experience" of them?  Should we just stay focused on movies "of our time" (at least as it applies to the vast majority of us)?  Or, does "all-time" mean "all-time"?  What do you all think?

I agree... there can't be any rules or limitations on what movies really connect with an individual...

One of the movies that is probably #6 or #7 on my list is Guys and Dolls (Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando).  It is certainly of a different genre and it is not contemporary (nor are others on my top 5 list).  Guys and Dolls is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.  I love the story, am a big Brando and Sinatra fan, and actually enjoy the musical pieces in the movie.
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 12:10pm »

on Jun 29th, 2003, 10:57am, Philly wrote:

I agree... there can't be any rules or limitations on what movies really connect with an individual...

Great way to put it.

Quote:
One of the movies that is probably #6 or #7 on my list is Guys and Dolls (Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando).  It is certainly of a different genre and it is not contemporary (nor are others on my top 5 list).  Guys and Dolls is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.  I love the story, am a big Brando and Sinatra fan, and actually enjoy the musical pieces in the movie.

I loved Brando's performances in Apocalypse Now and The Godfather, but i haven't seen any of his earlier flicks.  Do any of his other movies show off his incredible presensce as well as those 2?  What would you consider the best places to continue a "Brando" collection?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2003, 12:20pm by bgsgfan » Logged

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 2:58pm »

on Jun 29th, 2003, 12:10pm, bgsgfan wrote:

What would you consider the best places to continue a "Brando" collection?

I only saw it once, a long while ago, but I remember loving On the Waterfront.  I need to see that again.  And if you're bored, why not check out Brando singing "Luck Be a Lady" in Guys and Dolls  (even though it was Sinatra's song, Brando sung it in the movie).  It will definitely be another side of Brando you haven't seen - he does still play a tough guy though.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 5:27pm »

I really love both of these movies...I think it is because of the same reasons you mention DD...feel good and I too get sucked in every time they come on television

on Jun 29th, 2003, 8:13am, DirkDiggler wrote:
OK--

Enough waiting....my second movies are:

Dave   and   American President

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 1:09am »

Well, I'll give you guys what my "#10 through #6" list boiled down to.  This took some REAL soul-searching.  On this list, there will be new movies that are black-and-white and old movies that are color and everything in between (no Kate Hepburn movies, though ).

An important note, first...  During my thought process, I found it VERY difficult to incorporate comedies and horror/thriller movies on my list.  I can only rationalize it that you can only laugh at the same joke so many times and you can only be scared or surprised at a scene so many times, so those genres of movies tend to be, well, less timeless.  It's tough, though, toeing the line between discerning the importance of timelessness versus the power of the experience of a single, initial viewing.  Of my original top-5 list, only two of those movies do I know I saw more than once, Glory and Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

So, , but without further ado, here are #'s 10 through 6 on my all-time favorites list:

#10 - Young Frankenstein
A black-and-white movie (done for affect) from the early 80's!  The one movie among plain-and-simple comedies (or horrors for that matter) that made my list.  It's ironic that it has a monster theme, actually.  Anyway, I have seen this movie a ton of times.  It has worn on me, to be quite honest, but, if there were ONE straight-up comedy and nothing else I had to recommend to somebody, this would be it.  Very creative!  Gene Wilder and the whole cast are absolutely in the comic "zone" in this flick.  The scene, deep into the movie, when Wilder (Dr. Frankenstein) is confiscating the dead body from the graveyard and the arm pops out and a police officer comes up to him and he has to make like the dead arm is his, is hysterical.  And, Igor (pronounced "I"-gor or "E"-gor) with his bulging eyes is an absolute crack-up!  I am chuckling right now just thinking about it all.

#9 - It's a Wonderful Life
Okay, the first sappy old movie, a Christmas one no less.  WHATEVER!  Jimmy Stewart is "the man" and Donna Reed is straight-up hot.  I remember someone mentioning non-linear storylines earlier on this thread.  Well, it wasn't taken to the non-linear extremes of today, but the story of this 1946 movie was WAY ahead of its time in that respect.  And, Clarence, if you ain't when that bell on the Christmas tree rings at the end of the movie, you had better head to the doctor, no, not a psychiatrist, an M.D., because you ain't got a heart.  I am getting teary right now!  I will watch this movie every year for the rest of my life and be entertained each and every time.

#8 - A Christmas Carol
I know... you're thinking YASCM (Yet Another Sappy Christmas Movie)!  But, whatever, it's "awe"some!  I am talking about the "original" one with Alastair Sim made in England in 1951, but looking like it was made in 1921 to be a silent movie.  But, the REALLY grainy quality actually ends up being a boon, adding to the affect of the movie.  Sim is the ULTIMATE Scrooge and they pushed the envelope of what limited technology they were obviously working with.  Even though the techniques were very simple, the scenes are still wondrous and, moreover, apropos for this Charles Dickens classic.  Again, you want "non-linear"...  In any event, this is another movie that I perennially watch and am perennially entertained by.  The George C. Scott version can't hold water to this one and the newest one with Patrick Stewart made for TV comes in a distant second.

#7 - The Wizard of Oz
THIS MOVIE WAS MADE IN 1939... "1939," I said!  Color movie... 1939... enough said, really!  Actually, black-and-white... color... this movie had it all!  Understand I hate musicals!  And, I am NOT an old movie buff.  BUT, this movie is flat-out incredible.  It is a "trip" that was WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time.  The characters are absolutely endearing, right down to little Toto, the Tin Man being my favorite.  Judy Garland is NOT hard on the eyes.  The Wicked Witch of the West is actually a little scary.  The way all the characters "actually exist" in her "real" life is awesome.  They could have actually extended the black-and-white part of the movie in the beginning and spent a little more time developing those "real-world" characters more.  As for its being a musical, since the whole movie is, well, psychedelic, their breaking out into song and dance works.  And, the ultimate DOUBLE TWIST, one that the "wizard" of Oz is, well, you know, and two that it is "implied" that none of it actually took place, is a stroke of brilliance.  This movie is the ultimate ground-breaker of ALL time in MANY respects!

#6 - Big
Okay, I'll come on back to "our" time!  This was Tom Hanks's breakout movie and WHAT a role.  Once again, like those above, just a great idea, ultimately!  It is said that for a performance or show to truly be great, it has to have heart.  Well, that is the case and this movie has BIG-time heart.  This movie will bring you to tears, with laughter, sadness and joy.  The giant electric piano dance scene in FAO Schwartz in New York City is classic and it was done in like one cut.  The innocence of a child's mind in an adult body portrayed in this movie seems absolutely genuine and, moreover, accurate.  Over and above pureness of mind, it exemplified the mournful loss of creativity and open-mindedness that us adults "experience" as we "grow up", or should it be said, "grow down".  If you really appreciate Tom Hanks for ALL that he is, this is a MUST-SEE!  This part was written for Hanks, I think more than any of his others, Forrest Gump and Castaway notwithstanding!
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2003, 1:15am by Stegfucius » Logged
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 2:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well after much debate and soul searching I have whittled my list down to a few GREAT movies.......

#1. A FEW GOOD MEN - A classic movie that examines the true marine lifestyle and dedication with a tension filled courtroom drama. It also explores a father and son relationship and how hard it is to live in the shadow of a successful and famous father. Two great performances by "Jack" and Tom Cruise. The movie is also filled with many great actors playing supporting roles.  This movie grabs me because I am overwhelmed at the dedication and passion soldiers have for each other and OUR great country. I also love the witty courtroom banter.  I also like the fact that you see Tom Cruise's character develop and mature throughout the movie. Is he going to test himself and be more that what he has become?

#2 MY LIFE - A movie that explores many relationships(Husband /Wife, Father/Son Etc.) as well as death, mortality, and Eastern Asian Beliefs(thats for you Steg). This movies touches me in many ways. I lost my father at a young age and I can relate to the loss of a loved one. I also can relate to wanting to be more than what you where from. I was raised by only my mother and she worked exremely hard to provide me with what she could. I think sometimes you want to be more,  have more and provide more than what you were given as a child, and it's not regret or being unappreciative but you use your modest means to push you into being sucessful and having material things. Then you realize that having people you love just close to you and loving you is way more important than just HAVING things. This movie is a tear jerker and I cry everytime I watch it.

I think I will continue my list a little later.......
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2003, 2:13am by Tony_O » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Jul 15th, 2003, 12:30am »

on Jul 1st, 2003, 2:10am, Tony_O wrote:
#2 MY LIFE - A movie that explores many relationships(Husband /Wife, Father/Son Etc.) as well as death, mortality, and Eastern Asian Beliefs(thats for you Steg). This movies touches me in many ways. I lost my father at a young age and I can relate to the loss of a loved one. I also can relate to wanting to be more than what you where from. I was raised by only my mother and she worked exremely hard to provide me with what she could. I think sometimes you want to be more,  have more and provide more than what you were given as a child, and it's not regret or being unappreciative but you use your modest means to push you into being sucessful and having material things. Then you realize that having people you love just close to you and loving you is way more important than just HAVING things. This movie is a tear jerker and I cry everytime I watch it.

I have been meaning to respond to this for some time now.  Sorry for taking THIS long! I just wanted to say that I really agree with the spirit of what you wrote here, Tony!  In the effort (and with respect to and for the "point" of this thread) to get to know each other better by way of this discussion, I have to tell you that I too lost my father when I was young, a junior in high school; making it worse was that it was right before Christmas, December 10th.  I still remember that afternoon VIVIDLY!  My mother, who I almost lost, as well, earlier that same year from a kidney ailment, which cost her one of her kidneys in an emergency surgery, went on to work three jobs to provide for me and help get me through college (no, my dad was not Daddy Warbucks, he was a truck driver who unfortunately did not "plan" for this).  These kinds of experiences make you a certain kind of man and cause you to have a particular kind of worldview, and I definitely "see" whence you are coming, Tony.

Meanwhile, Eric Nies, who I personally know from high school, just flashed across my screen here on the "Jimmy Kimmel Show" because of the new show he is hosting, "Dance Fever".  He's a basically good, cool guy, a good friend of one of my best friends.  BUT, let's just say that he's lived a "different" life and been handed what he's gotten, rather than earned what he's achieved if you follow.  He does not have that "appreciation" that we are talking about above. Anyway, this is another topic for a different thread... place.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2003, 12:32am by Stegfucius » Logged
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jul 21st, 2003, 3:31pm »

WOW,   I was a junior in high school when I lost my father as well! What a small world. We will have to talk about it someday.
Bob_Oswego
Assistant Coach
# 172

Canadians love the NFL!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Jul 21st, 2003, 11:14pm »

I have several favorite movies some happy some sad some just plain entertaining

Honourable Mention List....Follow Me Boys, Remember the Titans, Victory, Patton, Little Big Man, Slapshot, The French Connection, Thirteen Days, Pelican Brief and High Plains Drifter  

5.  Mary Poppins ...a classic that gives you a real upbeat feeling and makes you forget about reality

4.  The Sting ...best clean cut gangster movie ever and how about that handle "Henry Gondorf"

3.  Moonraker James Bond at his best with Jaws to boot

2.  Raiders of the Lost Ark  around every corner a new twist for Indy Jones

1A The Dirty Dozen teamwork at its best and plenty of action too

1 Hoosiers maybe it is the small school thing, I am a teacher coach at a small high school and this idea of taking a group of kids and moulding them and building them and seeing it all work out is an indescribable feeling...it motivates me to keep going.  

Movies are good but I thing I prefer sports

Giants Fan , Organization is the key to success! Prudens Futuri

Bob Oswego
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:30am »

Bobby O, I'm with ya' on Hoosiers.  That was a movie that came to my mind while I was doing my brainstorming.  And, Raiders of the Lost Ark has come up a few times now!  Evidently, a real success (with our generation).  But, Mary Poppins,... I gotta' haze you on that one! I can't believe I am seeing this on "the Gridiron"!  You gotta' be kiddin'!  Whatever, though,... (keee, keee, snicker, snicker) You like what you like! (keee, keee, snicker, snicker) ... (keee, keee, snicker, snicker) (keee, keee, snicker, snicker) (blaaaa...)

on Jul 15th, 2003, 12:30am, StegRock wrote:
Eric Nies, who I personally know from high school, just flashed across my screen here on the "Jimmy Kimmel Show" because of the new show he is hosting, "Dance Fever".

"Dance Fever"... ... Oh God in Heaven!
Bob_Oswego
Assistant Coach
# 172

View Profile Email

« Reply #36 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 4:56pm »

Different stokes for Different folks.....remember variety is the spice of life

Anything goes when opinions are involved and you can't deny the guts it took to post that one.....but I stand by it  

Chim chimney chim chim cherrie...

Bob Oswego
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 7:26pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2003, 4:56pm, Bob_Oswego wrote:
Anything goes when opinions are involved and you can't deny the guts it took to post that one.....

I'm with ya', brother! It did take guts, though, as you state, and you gotta' admit that it is, at least a little, funny!
Bob_Oswego
Assistant Coach
# 172

View Profile Email

« Reply #38 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 8:15pm »

Yeah it is funny....Nuff said!!

How about ranking fave football movies

Let's see......

Rudy
Remember the Titans
Longest Yard
North Dallas Forty
Varsity Blues
Hometown Legend
The Replacements
The Program
Gus the Field Goal Kicking Donkey

Are there others I am forgetting about
Was the book Friday Night Lights made into a movie yet?

Bob Oswego
PrimeTime
Fantasy Field General
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '06
# 169

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:37pm »

How can you forget Airbud, Little Giants, and some movie starring Tony Danza as a trash collector turned field goal kicker for the Eagles. - I can't remember the name.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:49pm »

Also, there is Any Given Sunday.

Anyway, PrimeTime, I got one for ya'.  I am safely supposing based on your avatar that you are an "X-phile" (coined right here, right now, I guess), i.e. a BIG fan of the "X-Files".  I am too.  I have never seen the "X-Files" movie, though.  I heard it was pretty good from one of my friends.  Did you see it?  How did you think it was?  Is it one of your all-time favorites?

Again, guys, a final important note here...  Remember that the point of this thread is for us "to get to know you better through movies, NOT get to know movies better through you", so to speak.
PrimeTime
Fantasy Field General
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '06
# 169

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

View Profile

« Reply #41 on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:16am »

How astute of you  I am a BIG x-files fan.  I was bummed when it went off the air.  I did see the movie and I thought it was pretty good.  

I'm not sure it will make my top 10 list.  (Which I am still working on)  .  I worked in a movie theater for three years so I have seen many, many movies.  It will be hard for me to pick 10.  

I know one will be Arthur (with the late Dudley Moore).  That was in the movies when I started work and my friends and I saw it like 100 times and memorized all the lines  (one of my favorite:  "I wish I had a dime for every dime I have").  I'm still working on the other 9.  

I will need a couple of days to sort it out.
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

View Profile WWW

« Reply #42 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 1:04pm »

Hey guys,  

Here's some more movie lists, separated by whether you are in a thinking mood or not.

JYJ :^)

Top 5 Movies You Can Watch With Your Brain Turned Off:

#5 Half-Baked/Office Space - Two light-weight but hysterical movies featuring two topics that deserve serious social attention:   1) Why doesn't Dave Chappelle make more movies ?  and 2) The absurdity of working in an office from 9-5 everyday.

#4  Meet the Parents - Finally a real depiction of what it's like to meet a finance's relatives.  So many classic lines ('So Greg, how's your portfolio?' -  'I'd say strong, ...to quite strong')

#3 Tin Cup - I don't even like golf, but this 'underdog takes on the prick' movie from Ron Shelton ('Bull Durham' and 'White Men Can't Jump') is one of Kevin Costner's best.

#2- Bull Durham - The quintessential baseball movie of perhaps all-time, maybe the best sports movie ever, also by Ron Shelton.

#1 Raising Arizona - The Cohen Brothers (The guys who did 'Fargo') outlandish comedy starring Nicholas Cage, John Goodman and Holly Hunter; just too wacky to even describe.  

Top 5 Movies That Require Some Thinking :

#5 JFK - Oliver Stone may be a mental case, but never has a movie raised so many questions about a turning point in American history.  The amazing detail of the loosely-based 'factual' material is enhanced by Stone's unique schizophrenic filming techniques and editing.

#4 Raging Bull - Classic Scorsese/DeNiro movie about the brutal world of professional boxing and the volatile personality of middle-weight champ Jake LaMotta.  Also features Joe Pesci as Lamotta's brother in his first major role.

#3 Remains of the Day - One of those Merchant/Ivory classics about unrequited love between two house servants (Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson) that uses such beautifully cinematography, you almost don't care what it's about.  At the very worst, your girlfriend will be very impressed if you have the patience to watch this.

#2 Miller Crossing - Not sure why I like this one so much, probably the quirky dialogue and unpredictable characters.  The other appealing aspect is that you are never really sure if you are watching a comedy or a gangster movie.  This is also a Cohen Brothers thang.

#1 Braveheart - This is an obvious modern classic, and really encompasses so many timeless themes such as love, betrayal, and valor into a thoroughly amazing and inspiring story.  Plus you get to see Mel Gibson kick some big-time a## with cool-looking medieval weapons!

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #43 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 2:44pm »

Not a big movie fan by any means, but what I like tends to be lighter fair. I like a lot of them, but few really draw me in.

A few exceptions to the rule:

Dogma - Can't praise the movie's irreverance enough, but I thrive on that type of humor.  

Con Air - Nichalaus Cage was again masterful, and so many of the prisoners on the plane were perfectly cast.

The Rock - Cage and Sean Connery need to team up more often, seemed a natural fit for both.

I'll add a few more as they come to me.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 6:51pm »

Bumpin' this one for the new guys 'round here!
bakes781
GM
# 236

Super Bowl XXXIX

bakes781
View Profile Email

« Reply #45 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:13am »

[quote author=junkyardjake link=board=58;num=1056353524;start=25#42 date=07/27/03 at 13:04:02]

#5 Half-Baked/Office Space - Two light-weight but hysterical movies featuring two topics that deserve serious social attention:   1) Why doesn't Dave Chappelle make more movies ?  and 2) The absurdity of working in an office from 9-5 everyday.

Dave Chappelle is the funniest man on the planet.  Both of those movies are what I consider CULT classics.  I would also throw in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket & A Clockwork Orange into that category.  BTW, I was at my local library over the weekend & would you believe they have A Clockwork Orange on a shelf specifically for "Halloween Movies."  Imagine being a child & seeing that sh!t.  

My top 5 consists of mostly older movies.  Some more recent movies that I would recommend are the Beach(very sexy), Kids(very real) & Nutty Professor(very funy).

As for sports movies I would put The Natural & The Longest Yard in a tie for 1st place.  

Here's my top 5 favorite movies:

#5~ RISKY BUSINESS
    Tom Cruise has been in some really good dramas.  Born on the 4th of July & Rain Man are right up there.  However, this rare comedy classic tops them all.  "Sometimes you just got a say, 'what the ."  Rebecca Demorney was SO hot. When I was a teenager those scenes were the sexiest ever.  Plus you gotta admit Tom looked in those shades.  

#4~ LITTLE BIG MAN
    Dustin Hoffman is one of my favorite actors.  This was one of his earliest films.  I originally watched this for a college film class.  I fell in love with it instantly.  It's a bit long for some people.  It's got everything from action   to drama to comedy .    

#3~ I AM SAM
    This movie is the most recent of my list.   If you like   then this is THE film to see.  Starring Sean Penn another great actor.  I'm looking forward to seeing Mystic River which was filmed right here in Mass.  

#2~ ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
    Jack is the man.  He's my favorite actor.  From The Shining, Chinatown, Easy Rider, 5 Easy Pieces to more recent movies like & As Good as it Gets he has done it all.  This film is the best of the best.  

Drum roll please.....

#1~ FORREST GUMP
    It's not the most quoted movie ever for nothing.  You may have noticed that I have a thing for movies with a slow witted man perservering through life.  It's funny b/c I love Good Will Hunting(beantown boys).  Which is about a man who's super intelligent.  As mentioned by others, it has sum very powerful scenes.  However, Forrest Gump is the most powerful movie I have ever seen.  The entire cast was amazing.  U know all the famous quotes.  The scene where Forrest is speaking to his dead mother is the most heart wrenching of all.  I don't know the exact quote, but it was very  .    

Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of action or sci-fi movies.  Robert Dinero movies like Goodfellas & Taxi Driver are cool though.  That reminds me.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery from prostate cancer.  

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 4:55pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 2:11pm, Philly wrote:
#1 - Dead Poets Society - This is the former HS English teacher in me with this selection.  Robin Williams is able to deftly combine his comedic genius with a truly dramatic role.  The supporting cast (Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard, etc.) is brilliant.  This movie touched me on so many levels.  The cinematography and accompanying film score was tremendous.  I love the fact that a teacher was so able to inspire his students to greatness and the loyalty they show to him as a result is inspirational and tear-worthy.

I just watched this movie again last night and it inspired me to revisit this thread.  I think this is my favorite thread on the Gridiron.  Sure, we're all here because of fantasy football, but I've learned so much about many of you from this one thread.  I hope some of the people who didn't post here will do so as time goes on...

I also realized I needed to add another movie to my list...

Pacific Heights
Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith purchase an old Victorian house in San Francisco, but in order to afford it, they rent out two units downstairs.  One of the tenants, Michael Keaton, weasels his way into the apartment and never pays rent.  At every turn, he makes the owners' lives more and more miserable.  One of the best psychological thrillers I've ever seen.
Noey21
GM
# 102

Hokies be afraid....be very afraid!!!!

noey21  
View Profile Email

« Reply #47 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 12:51am »

Top five...granted it always seems to change but here it goes.

1. Breakfast Club...just good acting, writing and I could relate to it.

2. Shawshank Rdemption.........Morgan Freeman is incredible and it is a great story.

3 Se7en...makes you think.  Again Morgan Freeman is awesome

4. Sandlot ....i think that could be me and my friends as kids.....baseball 24/7

5.  Stand by Me....again could have been me and I can relate to it.

Honorable mentions....Witness, Crimson Tide, Rdy, Hoosiers, Field of Dreams, and Strang Brew...and of course the Green mile.

I may not be correct very often..........but I am always willing to give an opinion.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 8:36pm »

I just gotta ask given all the commotion...

Has anybody seen The Passion yet?  I have not.  Any thoughts?
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #49 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 1:00am »

Yes I have! A very powerful film. The brutality is almost unbearable. It makes you realize what he actually went threw. I came away with two very powerful images. The first, for those of you who have kids, the unconditional love a parent has for their child, which makes you feel that you would suffer the most horrible death or torture to ensure the safety of your loved ones. Jesus felt this way about ALL mankind. Secondly, you walk away from the movie feeling that my life is very trivial. Take time to appreciate the people and freedoms you have in your life. It made me want to be a better person. That sounds cheesy, but I mean it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.