In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:02am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Head Linesman, Umpire, Replay Official, Referee, Field Judge, Line Judge, Back Judge, Side Judge)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music  (Read 24753 times)
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music
« Reply #50 on: May 13th, 2004, 7:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My next three selections all deal with the same topic: relationships, and the emotions revolving around breaking up.  

The first song, " The Heart of the Matter" , by Don Henley is probably my favorite song. In it, Henley sings of an old flame, the one true love of his that got away somehow and the fact she has found someone else, and how he deals with it. It really hit home when a friend of mine told me about my ex wife and her new boyfriend.

Another favorite of mine is "Breaking Us in Two", by Joe Jackson. In this song, he sings of a couple who try to work things out, but are always thwarted by one thing or another.  

Lastly, "Woman In Love", by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Petty also sings of a woman who has found love, but not with him.

So far, here is my list:

"Be My Downfall" by Del Amitri
"Blue", by the Jayhawks
"Hero In Me", by Jeffrey Gaines
"Heart of the Matter", by Don Henley
"Breaking Us In Two", by Joe Jackson
"Woman In Love", by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: May 16th, 2004, 12:28am »

Steggie Steggum's Top 40 Countdown

#32...  You guys just had to know that this weird shit was going to be on my list.  I only, at best, have a theory as to what this song is about. If you have a take, please, by all means, explain away and let's discuss.  In any case, I just love the sound of this tune and I like the way it makes me, no forces me to think EVERY TIME I hear it... for the last 20+ years of my life. Inevitably, I get all mentally cramped up. But, the philosopher in me loves it.  This song also hearkens back to my early MTV roots.  The video for it was really weird, but cool and takes me back to the "good old days" of MTV when limited technology made being "ingeniusly" creative, or should I say insane job one.  It and its video are classics!  Enjoy...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/32.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: May 18th, 2004, 2:29pm »

NO ONE has a theory as to what #32 is/might be about?!?  I'm shocked! ...
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: May 18th, 2004, 3:39pm »

I'm sure there are plenty of theories.  However I can't say for sure that I have any idea what it is all about.  The song never made sense to me and I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten a definitive answer from the artist as to his intentions...

Anyway, great selection.  I love the artist (as you probably already know)... However, if I was ranking this particular artist's songs, I doubt this song would be in my top 5.  Interesting how divergent musical tastes can be even with the same artist.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: May 18th, 2004, 9:54pm »

#31...  Not all too much to say about this song on a personal note.  It's just an awesome tune with a great rhythm and a VERY unique sound, featuring the very rarely featured bass, and it has stood the test of time, at least with me.  I will say this much, it is not just (yet) a(nother) meaningless rock/pop song; it is "poppy", but it is a song with a point somewhat along the lines #'s 40 and 36.  But, mainly, it is just aesthetically pleasing and remains VERY MUCH so for me to today.  I will make this a "hint" song, though.  You already have the message icon; I will add this:   ...  You're at least halfway there...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/31.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2004, 11:15pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: May 19th, 2004, 4:16pm »

So, pretty quiet,...  Did anybody guess #31 from the clues I gave? Or, did everybody guess #31 from the clues I gave?
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: May 19th, 2004, 4:38pm »

on May 19th, 2004, 4:16pm, StegRock wrote:
So, pretty quiet,...  Did anybody guess #31 from the clues I gave? Or, did everybody guess #31 from the clues I gave?

The first two smileys did it for me.  There will definitely be a song from this group on my top 40, possibly two songs -- neither of which are the one you listed.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #57 on: May 19th, 2004, 5:22pm »

I was fortunate enough to see this next duo in concert recently, when they reunited after too many years apart.  

I grew up listening to Simon and Garfunkel in my home, along with the likes of Neil Diamond, John Denver, Wings, the Beach Boys, etc...all of whom have a special place in my heart, for all of them were my late father's favoirte artists. I remember listening to my dad play his guitar and sing while he sat on the edge of his bed like it was yesterday.

MY favorite song by the duo is their signature one, "Bridge Over Troubled Water." I still put the headphones on and sing along...good times, and good memories.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: May 21st, 2004, 11:38pm »

on May 19th, 2004, 5:22pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
the Beach Boys

Well, that's one of just eight bands I have seen by way of only four concerts in my life, as I mentioned earlier on this thread.  ...  So, as per what I said earlier, will they be the "other" band on my list that I have seen live??? I guess you will just have to wait and see...
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #59 on: May 22nd, 2004, 2:40pm »

on May 18th, 2004, 2:29pm, StegRock wrote:
NO ONE has a theory as to what #32 is/might be about?!?  I'm shocked! ...

on May 18th, 2004, 3:39pm, Philly wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of theories.  However I can't say for sure that I have any idea what it is all about.  The song never made sense to me and I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten a definitive answer from the artist as to his intentions...

Anyway, great selection.  I love the artist (as you probably already know)... However, if I was ranking this particular artist's songs, I doubt this song would be in my top 5.  Interesting how divergent musical tastes can be even with the same artist.

I've always been under the impression that Gabriel was using some sort of college sociology/physcology experiment where students had choices between something unpleasant being persoanlly done to them, or literally, shocking a lab monkey. Part of it involved ever increasing voltages to the monkey. I'll have to poke around and see what I can find.

Awesome song, none the less. Looks like I better get crankin' thru the years faster or ALL the good Peter Gabriel songs are gonna be gone.  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: May 22nd, 2004, 5:43pm »

Never thought of it that way, 420, old friend!  I think the "shocking the lab monkey" angle is !  It makes some sense... of it all, for sure.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #61 on: May 23rd, 2004, 12:52am »

Funny you should mention the Beach Boys Steve, because the next song on my list is from them. I really enjoyed the made for TV movie made on the boys that aired recently (within the last year or so I believe). To see how Murray Wilson was behind the scenes, to watch a brillaint Brian deteriorate under the infulence of all of those drugs...it was amazing. One of my favorite songs of all time is "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Brian's masterpiece in my opinion, the song is a three minute symphony complete with the wonderful Beach Boy harmonies. A classic.

Here's my list, up to date:

"Be My Downfall" by Del Amitri  
"Blue", by the Jayhawks  
"Hero In Me", by Jeffrey Gaines  
"Heart of the Matter", by Don Henley  
"Breaking Us In Two", by Joe Jackson  
"Woman In Love", by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers  
"Bridge Over Troubled Water", Simon and Garfunkel
"Wouldn't It Be Nice", the Beach Boys

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: May 23rd, 2004, 10:32pm »

#30...  Alright, confession...  I, like many, am a sucker for a good hook, I cannot lie. This genre of music, however, is not really known for its hooks, at least not like pop or hip-hop and it's not like they would want to admit to it, anyway. I say, "Hooey to that!"  Yes, they may be better known for and more concerned with their guitar riffs and solos, but this song has one hell of a hook, which is what originally allured me big-time.  This is one of the first "other" songs by this artist/group that I really took to, and it definitely hearkens to/foreshadows a song VERY high on my list.  I like the fact that this song, and this artist/group in general, didn't just sing about the usual trite BS.  Mind you, though, that I did not even get really into this artist/band, or this genre of music as a whole for that matter, until sophomore year of college when I realized "normal" dudes from my fraternity house were into it (I kind of mention that vis-a-vis Philly's mentioning that he was the opposite; he was into it during his early-mid teens and then the implication was that he grew up out of it; whereas, I was one of those who had a negative predisposition toward/impression of it based on the kinds of kids that listened to it in my high school; then, I came to REALLY like it, or should I say appreciate it for what it itself is, by way of a few of my ATO brothers).  Moving right along, though rather youthfully and naively angry and rebellious in nature, this artist/group tried to speak to issues and history.  The "topic" of this song is actually very biblical/historical in nature though that may not be obvious after one quick listen.  It actually may seem to be just the opposite (whatever that would be ).  It may not be absolutely accurate, but I commend this artist's/these guys' efforts to take it up a notch, both musically and in meaning.  Yet again, though, this is one of those often forgotten end-of-the-album tunes.  It is actually the second-to-last song on the album, but the last one with vocals.  The very last song on the album is actually an instrumental (and as I admitted earlier in this thread, I haven't evolved to the point where I really enjoy instrumentals ).  That said, this is another one of those tunes that if you know it and recall it (which kind of de facto means you like(d) it), you'll be !  Others will probably be somewhere between and and .  Incidentally, for those other English nerds really following this thing closely, this is the "other" song the title of which begins with a present participle.  With that said, on to #30...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/30.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2004, 2:54am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #63 on: May 26th, 2004, 10:01pm »

#29...  THIS SONG, if we were doing an "objective" all-time rock classics list, moreover, specifically if we did so in the very limited sense (as I discussed earlier on this thread) of meaning "classic rock" in particular, would be my CLEAR-CUT #1, HANDS-DOWN.  It doesn't get much more personal than that for me, but I think that in and of itself says a lot about and is a big part of me.  This song is smooth and yet rocks! And, like some other tunes on my countdown here, it has that signature rhythm guitar that I just go gaga over. As I described the process of my making this list earlier on this thread, when I was at the point of just doing a top 20, it was hard for me to leave this one off.  It, in that context, just lacked that "personal" flair that I want this thread to have.  But, when I expanded to 40, this tune fit in just nice here at #29.  So, without further ado,... give 'em more "cowbell"!  Funny, SNL did a "best of" Christopher Walken show last Saturday and this skit was on it... (Well, it's a blue fish... that's as close as I could get. )

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/29.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #64 on: May 27th, 2004, 5:10am »

Having graduating high school in 1986, my group of friends went to many a concert in the late 80's through early 90's. Van Halen, Night Ranger, Ratt, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Poison, the Scorpions, Motley Crue, Dokken, Metallica, Great White, Tesla...the list goes on.

Here are my favorite songs from the "hair band" era:

"Dreams" Van Halen
"When You Close Your Eyes" Night Ranger
"Jet City Woman" Queensryche
"Burning Like A Flame" Dokken
"Too Late For Love" Tesla
"Wanted Dead or Alive" Bon Jovi

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #65 on: May 28th, 2004, 1:15pm »

on May 27th, 2004, 5:10am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
Having graduating high school in 1986, my group of friends went to many a concert in the late 80's through early 90's. Van Halen, Night Ranger, Ratt, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Poison, the Scorpions, Motley Crue, Dokken, Metallica, Great White, Tesla...the list goes on.

Here are my favorite songs from the "hair band" era:

Don't know how Metallica would feel about being called a "hair band", Jim!? ... ...

Also, for some reason (though I kind of know what clicked), Jim's last post there made me remember that I have actually seen three of the bands on my top-40 list live in concert (not two as I had stated a few times before).  I got the number of concerts (not many) and all that right.  But, I was forgetting that one more of the bands/artists made the list.  In any case, only the one I had pointed out has been listed so far, though, #33.  The other two are yet to come. ...

Well, that's all, folks! Over and out!
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #66 on: May 28th, 2004, 9:51pm »

I'd call them a boderline hair band. I once went to a Monsters of Rock show that featured Van Halen, the Scorpions, Metallica, and Dokken.

on May 28th, 2004, 1:15pm, StegRock wrote:

Don't know how Metallica would feel about being called a "hair band", Jim!? ... ...

Also, for some reason (though I kind of know what clicked), Jim's last post there made me remember that I have actually seen three of the bands on my top-40 list live in concert (not two as I had stated a few times before).  I got the number of concerts (not many) and all that right.  But, I was forgetting that one more of the bands/artists made the list.  In any case, only the one I had pointed out has been listed so far, though, #33.  The other two are yet to come. ...

Well, that's all, folks! Over and out!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: May 29th, 2004, 6:53pm »

#28...  This artist/These artists, , became huge by way of a few monstrous hits.  This tune, however, predated those.  It was before this artist's/group's big breakout.  And, when they broke out, man, did they "sell out" (not really in the negative sense if you follow even though some harder-core fans might say so ).  I mean it is this "selling out" that brought more attention to ALL of this artist's/group's music, including this goodie from the earlier days.  Truth be said though, this artist/group wasn't that big for that long, in any event.  Anyway, this tune is another one of those that hearkens back to my early MTV roots.  The video wasn't awesome, but the song was.  Very unique sound; very cool tune, featuring, of all instruments, the xylophone.  This is another one of these "forgotten" tunes on my list.  If it "comes back to you" when you hear it here, you'll be like ...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/28.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #68 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 1:44am »

#27...  This is another tune with that signature rhythm guitar I oh, so love.  However, we have got a significant shift in genre from the previous songs with sig rhythm guitar.  From the songs I have at 30 and 29 to this,... those dudes at 30 and 29 would be spittin' angry.  I believe about myself that I like music with "an edge", and I think that that has generally been the case thus far (Mind you, a song doesn't have to be loud or hard to have an edge, at least to me.  The other question is, though,... most of the songs have "an edge", but does any of them have "the Edge"?  ...  Will "the Edge" appear at all on this list? Well, I will tell you this much... that will not be answered here).  Anyway, back to the point, this song is the anti-edge (but not anti-the Edge, I don't think ) song of the list, for sure.  This song is SO smooth-flowing it would be impossible for it to have an edge.  This one is for dancing, definitely, especially with a chick.  Also, it is another tune that takes me back to my early youth.  It is a song I always knew, but did not know the title of and could never find.  I'll never forget finally finding it in some bin on some random vinyl MTV hits album with a weird black-dotted, lavender album cover.  When I bought it, I still wasn't 100% sure it was the right song.  It was!  ...  This, like #28, is one of this artist's/group's early, somewhat forgotten songs though this one had a fair amount of success on the charts, I think.  Also of note, the "producers" of this tune share something very in common with my wife... a surname. ... ... On that note, enjoy being "taken back" in many ways by this smooth oldie of sorts (I can't believe I'm saying that)...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/27.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #69 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 6:33am »

on Jun 2nd, 2004, 1:44am, StegRock wrote:
This, like #28, is one of this artist's/group's early, somewhat forgotten songs though this one had a fair amount of success on the charts, I think.

This one had more than a fair amount of success on the charts... it was one of the bigger hits of its year.  
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #70 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:38pm »

Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols
This song doesn't have any deep meaning. It doesn't bring back any great memories or make me think of a particular person/time/place. It's just a great song. It starts off with the solo drumbeat and then the guitar kicks in... great intro. The lyrics are simple - just (one side) of a dialogue between a guy and a girl who just met. This is typical college radio fodder.  

Check out the song and video for free:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2475932?htv=12
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #71 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:40pm »

My Current Favorite Songlist (in no particular order)...    

Peter Gabriel (with Kate Bush) - "Don't Give Up"      
Don Henley - "Boys of Summer"    
The B-52s - "Rock Lobster"    
John Cougar Mellencamp - "Jack & Diane"  
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "Summertime"  
Violent Femmes - "Kiss Off", "Add It Up", "Gone Daddy Gone"    
The Dandy Warhols - "Bohemian Like You"

The explanation behind the selection of each of the songs is in a separate thread above.  More songs are on the way... stay tuned.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: Jun 5th, 2004, 11:36pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:38pm, Philly wrote:
Check out the song and video for free:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2475932?htv=12

No dice on this,... and I tried everything. Oh, well...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 12:47am »

#26...  Well, I am once again going to show (off ) my diverse tastes, either that or my being all over the place. This song is surely a classic in its own right though based on its genre it might get dismissed by many (it may be a bit on the side).  With all due respect, I must myself admit that I can't name another tune by these artists/this artist. ... #34 notwithstanding, this is probably my favorite-favorite "story" song (as I had stated, I can relate to #34 philosophically, but not personally).  This tune doesn't get me big-time (I don't think it should), but right at its climax I definitely get a bit vaclempt. It's not another yadda-yadda "love song"; it's a unique "love story", which really works for me for whatever reason.  The musical aspects of the song are just okay; this one, for me, is ALL ABOUT the lyrics.  Enjoy this goodie... while drinkin'... and gettin' caught...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/26.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Jun 10th, 2004, 10:33pm »

#25...  This song is virtually a mere reprise. Not exactly, but it is the concluding song (here we go with the "last song on the album" thing again) of an AWESOME album by a "classic" (in both senses of the term) group/artist and the "nature"/"feel"/"sound" of this tune definitely is one of tying up a VERY fine album, which boasted a number of hits, a couple HUGE ones.  It's kind of an "album reprise" if you will.  That said, this song did receive some radio play and, I am not sure, but it might have crept onto the lower ends of the charts itself (that is, if it was even released as a single, of which I am not even sure ).  As I have stated before on this thread, I like "edgy" songs.  This tune definitely fits that description in a way:  the "emphatic" rise to this song's hook pushes me right over the edge.  Also of note, there is somewhat of an odd, peripherally-related connection of sorts between this group/artist and the one of #26 (see the respective message icons)!  In any case, this is a fantastic tune by a truly "classic" group/artist.  I hope you all enjoy it!  #25...  Oh, and by the way, SNL had it wrong with regards to #29...  This... is the "cowbell" song...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/25.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2004, 2:58am by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.