In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 8:43am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Playoff Rule Change - NAFFLIU members only, please

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Outside the Lines
   Forum Archives
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   Playoff Rule Change - NAFFLIU members only, please
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Playoff Rule Change - NAFFLIU members only, please  (Read 1125 times)
MKleid
Tackling Dummy
NAFFLIUer
# 238

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

Playoff Rule Change - NAFFLIU members only, please
« on: Sep 18th, 2003, 10:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Morris has recently suggested to me a rule change that will affect the year-end scoring system, but that may need to be changed now that NAFFLIU is ten teams and not two eight-team divisions.  Currently, the system is as follows:

Top 2:  3 wins, no losses
Next 2: 2 wins, one loss
Next 2: 1 win, two losses
Bottom 2:  no wins, three losses

As you can see, this only adds up to eight teams.  Therefore, two new rules are being proposed and put up for a discussion and vote.  The first is this:

Seeds 1/2:  four wins, no losses
Seeds 3/4:  three wins, one loss
Seeds 5/6:  two wins, two losses
Seeds 7/8:  one win, three losses
Seeds 9/10: no wins, four losses

which preserves old system and increases the role of the extra games.  The other option is one that will decreases the role of the extra games, and would be this:

Seeds 1/2/3:  two wins, no losses
Seeds 4/5/6/7:  one win, one loss
Seeds 8/9/10:  no win, two losses

I have made a new thread on the NAFFLIU section of fantasyfootballer.com entitled "Playoffs Rule Change."  I am going to have 5 days of discussion regarding this change, which can be done over the listserve or on the bulletin board.  By the time the MNF game ends this week, I would like everyone to have e-mailed me their vote for Option #1 (four categories) or Option #2 (three categories), or a third option if one comes up during the discussions.  Simple majority rules, and I'll let everyone know what the decision is in the next NAFFLIU Notes.

Thanks,
Micah
mcohen
Water Boy
NAFFLIUer
# 59

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW

Re: Playoff Rule Change
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 3:07pm »

I am mindful of the fact that I am voting here as the current points leader of NAFFLIU but even so I think this is the right system, and I would probably feel that way even if I had a crappy start.

I prefer the first system that creates a fourth extra game.  The schedule consists of 17 head to head to matchups, and having 4 games based on total ranking still doesnt seem like a lot.

I did think of an alternative solution if people want to consider it:  it's just an idea, but we could have "extra games" at two junctures in the season:  once after week 8 or 9, and another at the end of the season.  The one at the end of the season would reflect only points since the midpoint.  Each of those would be worth two games under system two [the one where the top three seeds gets two extra wins].

One advantage to this is that it decreases the uncertainty, and it makes the playoff picture a little bit clearer in advance of week 17 because the end-of-season extra games dont mean as much.

Yet another alternative would be to abolish the extra games altogether, if people have a philosophical opposition to begin with.

My current vote, though, is to expand the extra game system to four total, which is system 1 that Micah proposed.

-Morris

"Good food is humankind's greatest achievement."
MKleid
Tackling Dummy
NAFFLIUer
# 238

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

A Third Option
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 4:16pm »

A third option has been proposed to the proposed rule.  It is:

Seeds 1/2:  3 wins, no losses
Seeds 3/4/5: 2 wins, one loss
Seeds 6/7/8: 1 win, two losses
Seeds 9/10:  no wins, three losses

So now everyone has four options to choose from - the three that I have posted and the one that Morris posted regarding having extra games during the season.  A fifth option is to abolish this rule entirely.
wakleyr
Tackling Dummy
NAFFLIUer
# 241

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

Re: Playoff Rule Change - NAFFLIU members only, pl
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 8:10pm »

I would vote for option #3.  This way we keep the total of 20 games like in years past.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 8:40pm »

I would vote for option #1.    I think this keeps the emphasis on the extra games.

By the way...did we decide if 8 or 10 will make the playoffs?

I vote for 8.

Oh yea.,...how about double draft picks for one round in the playoffs?

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
mcohen
Water Boy
NAFFLIUer
# 59

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 5:27am »

I thought the consensus was on six teams in the playoffs, and double rounds for the playoffs AFTER the first round.  It was a little rushed in the pre-draft mayhem but that was the sense that I got.

"Good food is humankind's greatest achievement."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.