In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2017, 9:59pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Extended Week 17

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   Extended Week 17
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Extended Week 17  (Read 2424 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Extended Week 17
« on: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay, just want to make sure you all get this (mainly for future reference as it's not coming into play this year in an effectual way; it has come into play, though, on Danny's team)... You just got to think through what makes sense logically given our "cascading" lineups...

Say someone's extended Week 17 lineup of quarterbacks in total (i.e. considering all the QB's on his roster) looked like this this year:

1. Byron Leftwich
2. Steve McNair
3. David Garrard

Questions
#1) If the season ended Week 17, i.e. if we were still working under the old format, what quarterback(s), if any, would be in his lineup and who would that or they be?

#2) After the Wild-Card Round, how many quarterbacks would be going for him at that point and who?

#3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, in the end, does he have two quarterbacks in his lineup? If so, which two and for what weeks (W17, WR, DR, CC, SB, PB)? If not, which one does he have going for him and in which week?

Now, what if his extended Week 17 lineup had looked like this:

1. Byron Leftwich
2. Steve McNair
3. David Garrard
4. Jon Kitna

Question
#4) Bottom line, who does he ultimately have going for him in the extended Week 17? Which quarterback(s) and for what week(s)?

Your careful consideration of this is much appreciated! PLEASE give it a try!!! TEXT
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2008, 1:00am by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: (Thought) Exercise regarding the extended Week
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:43pm »

Quote:
Say someone's extended Week 17 lineup of quarterbacks in total (i.e. considering all the QB's on his roster) looked like this this year:  

1. Byron Leftwich  
2. Steve McNair  
3. David Garrard  

Questions  
#1) If the season ended Week 17, i.e. if we were still working under the old format, what quarterback(s), if any, would be in his lineup and who would that or they be?  

#2) After the Wild-Card Round, how many quarterbacks would be going for him at that point and who?  

#3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, in the end, does he have two quarterbacks in his lineup?  If so, which two and for what weeks (W17, WR, DR, CC, SB, PB)?  If not, which one does he have going for him and in which week?

1)  Only David Garrard would be in his line up with those 3 guys under old format.  Leftwich and McNair did not play week 17.

2) Under the new format, after the wild card round, he would only have Garrard.  The reason I say this is because although Leftwich played in the WC game, any line up that does not have a designation next to it is ASSUMED to be week 17.  The cascading principle of WEEKS does not apply.  If it was indicated WC next to Leftwich, he would get the stats.

3) His final line up after all the games would be  Garrard for Week 17.  That is it.

4)  Ultimately, his line up would be Garrard for WEEK 17 and Kitna for Week 17 since no playoff round designations were made.   Ultimately, he COULD of had McNairs probowl stats and Leftwich WC stats if the designations had been made.  

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 3:03am »

SOLD!!!  Right on, Steve...  You were right on...

As I told you, Stevo, because of Danny's sitch with Steve McNair (and my weary brain these days), I kind of duped myself into thinking that cascading WEEKS was implied by this new rule.  The fact of the matter is that there was NO mystery here.  As I had originally stated, if nothing is specified, Week 17 is assumed, period.

BUT, there was one interesting development worth teasing out here...  Dave Trout's lineup of running backs looked like this...

RB1:  Lamont Jordan(wk17)
RB2:  Mewelde Moore(wk17)
RB3:  Jerome Bettis(all)
RB4:  Brandon Jacobs(cc/dr)
RB5:  Michael Pittman(dr/cc)
(From there I would then defer to the "Rosters" page and go down his list of running backs.)

Without looking at the spreadsheet, can anybody tell me what three running backs Dave ended up fielding (remember that even on submitted lineups players can appear multiple times (for different weeks) on your list)???
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

Just a reminder for the upcoming week...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 11:56am »

Here is some info for week 17...

The last week can (potentially) be extended through the NFL postseason, i.e. the playoffs, the Super Bowl, the Pro Bowl, by any given team by opting to play players in the postseason instead of the last week of the NFL regular season.  This is done by submitting a lineup indicating usage of players in postseason games rather than the final week of the season.  Team owners may list any one player multiple times for multiple games (the postseason and/or the final week) and the "cascading lineups" principle kicks in.  The stats for any one player can only be used once, however (i.e., a single player's numbers in a Wildcard Playoff game and the Super Bowl, e.g., could not count as two players).  Determining the starting lineup in these cases is done by using the topmost "game" selection that produces stats for any one given player and then skipping down to the next player listed.

Steg had used the following abbreviations to describe the post-season weeks:

on Feb 13th, 2006, 3:59am, StegRock wrote:
W17, WR, DR, CC, SB, PB

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: Just a reminder for the upcoming week...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 1:46pm »

on Dec 28th, 2006, 11:56am, Drew Rosenhaus wrote:
Here is some info for week 17...

The last week can (potentially) be extended through the NFL postseason, i.e. the playoffs, the Super Bowl, the Pro Bowl, by any given team by opting to play players in the postseason instead of the last week of the NFL regular season. This is done by submitting a lineup indicating usage of players in postseason games rather than the final week of the season. Team owners may list any one player multiple times for multiple games (the postseason and/or the final week) and the "cascading lineups" principle kicks in. The stats for any one player can only be used once, however (i.e., a single player's numbers in a Wildcard Playoff game and the Super Bowl, e.g., could not count as two players). Determining the starting lineup in these cases is done by using the topmost "game" selection that produces stats for any one given player and then skipping down to the next player listed.

Steg had used the following abbreviations to describe the post-season weeks:

Of course, the above only applies if you are going to bother to submit a weekly line-up...
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2006, 1:47pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 2:17am »

Even though Week 17 lineup submissions are behind us, I just want to get this out on the table while it's fresh on my mind.  So, this is really "for future reference"...

I also want to get it out now because of the noted error that was made (again) this year and, even more so, because people like to, and justifiably so, consolidate their Week 17 "Extended" lineups like so:

Peyton Manning SB, CC, DR, WR, PB, W17

I think, though it is not a problem to do so, this can conflate how this works and cause a problem in understanding.

The (somewhat analogous) simple way to think about this is to just think of each one of those games as separate "Peyton Mannings" that you can insert into your lineup like this:

Peyton Manning PB
Peyton Manning SB
Peyton Manning CC
Peyton Manning DR
Peyton Manning WR
Peyton Manning W17

As "individual" "Peyton Mannings", you can insert them into your lineup wherever you want.  They need not all be together (look at my lineup at how I am playing Muhsin Muhammad this week).  The ONLY caveat is that, going down the list, once a "Peyton Manning" is reached that has stats, all the following "Peyton Mannings" are discarded.  So, as per the order of that mock list immediately above, if Peyton Manning had numbers in the Pro Bowl, that would be it; that would be the "Peyton Manning" you would get, namely "Peyton Manning PB".  If not, let's say he got injured or something and that caused him not to participate in the Pro Bowl, then it would drop/cascade down to "Peyton Manning SB".  Let's say, though, that the Colts did not make it to the Super Bowl, then it would cascade down to "Peyton Manning CC" and so on, bottoming out, according to that list above with "Peyton Manning W17".  Of course, you do NOT need to list all of these games/"Peyton Mannings".  Again, you are treating each of the "six Peyton Mannings" as an individual player, only one of whom, though, will be counted, namely the first/topmost one you have listed.  Follow, fellas!?!?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26th, 2008, 1:00am »

Just bumpin' this as a reminder...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Extended Week 17
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 2:27pm »

Danny, in particular, put down your IBerry or BlackPod or whatever the hell gadget has you distracted from the reality going on around you, and READ THIS WHOLE POST (and this whole thread, I would advise) CAREFULLY!!!

on Dec 31st, 2010, 12:41am, StegRock wrote:
Guys, a heads up and a sort of reminder...  Assuming you want to take advantage of our "extended" Week 17 lineup options, that is, fielding your players in the postseason (instead of Week 17), I would highly recommend your getting on that sooner rather than later (if you want to do a good job of it).  Case in point, I started putting thought into my "extended" Week 17 lineup early this evening; I just pressed the submit button on it a little bit ago.  The calculus on these things can get really hairy if you want to submit an "extended" Week 17 lineup with any level of specificity.  Anyway, just my word to the wise... Trying to submit an "extended" Week 17 lineup in a rushed-up manner last-minute will almost inevitably result in your inaccurately conveying exactly what you have in mind.

Incidentally, the "standard" abbreviations that I prefer for the final week and postseason games are as follows:  SB, PB, CC, DR, WC and W17.  Note that Week 17 is assumed if nothing is indicated.  In fact, the only automatically distributed stats are those accumulated Week 17.  No postseason stats will be assumed and automatically distributed when it comes to calculating the results of the games!

Other than that, good luck to all...

Here is a further resource for understanding how to submit a "thoughtful" Week 17 lineup...  Go to the league site and go to the "Lineups" section; on the left click "Guests Click Here"; follow the steps until you get to the lineup submission form (which we are all accustomed to); click "View My Current Lineup" (that is to say, you do not need to submit a lineup), and then scroll down to the sample Extended Week 17 lineup I submitted on December 27, 2005.  Look carefully at what is going on; read through this thread; put it together!!!

All, bottom line, I will be WAY out of the pocket here for a bit.  We are checking out of our hotel today and may finally have a home this afternoon or may not, may be checking in elsewhere or may not, and may have internet access or may not (probably will not, at least not conveniently), and, even if I do, probably will not have much time to be dicking around on it.

So, Danny, please get help with this from the guys.  FELLAS, please help Danny with this!   if need be!  I do not want him whining if he blows the championship because he fucks up his Extended Week 17 lineup.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding!  I am hoping this post along with all the information contained on this thread and with you all's assistance we can get Danny through this.
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 6:47pm »

Well of course i dont understand all of this. Can i have 2 players i want to play into the first playoff game how do i submit into lineup? Anyone?
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 1:48pm »

Dan -  

With great reluctance I will actually try and help you with your lineup. I would love to provide a sarcastic response, call you out and make a derogatory remark about your lack of height. However, in the spirit of the Season, I will try my best to assist you today.

THIS APPLIES ONLY DURING WEEK 17:

If your player might play in the playoffs, you have the choice of one of six games to get your stats:

1.  Pro Bowl (PB)
2.  Super Bowl (SB)
3.  Conference Championship (CC)
4.  Division Round - 2nd week of playoffs - (DR)
5.  Wildcard Round - 1st week of playoffs - (WR)
6.  Week 17 (W17)

You can play as many players as you want in the playoffs. You just have to list the games in the order you wish.

EXAMPLES:
I am going to play Tim Tebow in week 17 and not the playoffs, as I think he will have better stats this week. So I will simply list him as:

Tim Tebow W17

I think Mark Ingram will have a great Division Round game. However, there's no way of knowing if he will make that game. So I will list all the games in the order I choose, just in case he doesn't make that game.

Mark Ingram (DR, W17, SB, CC, PB)
Note: I didn't list WR as New Orleans won't play in that game.

I only list these two as examples. Check your entire lineup and make sure you assign a week to everyone. If you don't, I believe the most current week the player plays (week 17) will be used.

Hope this helps.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 12:18am »

Thanks, very helpful!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 12:28am »

Line up page needs to be turned over?
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 6:23pm »

on Dec 30th, 2011, 12:28am, IbdFunk wrote:
Line up page needs to be turned over?

Yep.  I guess you have more time to figure it out......until Stegeman returns to connectivity.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29th, 2012, 7:24pm »

Thought this needed to be bumped up...  Good luck in our final extended week, all...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26th, 2013, 9:03pm »

Just bumping this up as a reminder, fellas.

Give yourself time to enter your Week 17 lineup as, given its extension into the postseason, it can get complicated and probably merits your taking your time and thinking it through.  Good luck!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 31st, 2016, 7:21am »

on Dec 26th, 2013, 9:03pm, StegRock wrote:
Just bumping this up as a reminder, fellas.

Give yourself time to enter your Week 17 lineup as, given its extension into the postseason, it can get complicated and probably merits your taking your time and thinking it through. Good luck!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.