In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 10:39am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2009 (New-style) Draft Lottery

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2009 (New-style) Draft Lottery
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 (New-style) Draft Lottery  (Read 668 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

2009 (New-style) Draft Lottery
« on: Aug 8th, 2009, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heyas, Guys!

Per the decision we made last year, the Draft Lottery will no longer take place on the day of and at the Summer Meeting & Draft.  Per our decision, it is to take place six days prior or, in other words, the day after protections are due.  So, this year it will be held on Monday evening, August 10th starting at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and conducted via conference call provided by FreeConferenceCall.com.

Steve Warner will provide the 2009 GBRFL randomized spreadsheet by e-mail to all those who are participating, aside from myself, who will be blindly pulling the numbers from a hat.

As for using FreeConferenceCall.com, I just sent out an e-mail with instructions.  Again, as I stated in an earlier post on the "2009 Protection Lists" thread,...

on Jul 29th, 2009, 4:49pm, StegRock wrote:
Do note that each and every GBRFLer does not need to participate.  In fact, we need only three people, one to "pull the numbers out of the hat" (his ass) and two dudes checking the result on the spreadsheet and acting as a check on each other.

... we can get the lottery going once I and two other participants are present on the conference call.

Good luck to all interested parties!

See yous then and there!

Out,
Steg
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

Re: 2009 (New-style) Draft Lottery
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 6:40pm »

I know that current rule says that we don't draw for draft order until 1 week before the draft.  
I have talked to a few owners about trading draft picks and I keep getting the same response/reason for not moving forward..."they don't know where the lottery draft picks will land. Too much risk and uncertainty"...why should we wait until 1 week before the draft.
Since the actual NFL draft is complete, our draft next year is coming into focus for those with draft picks, some guys are getting excited about players and want to make moves to try to get that guy.  
I guess my question is this: does the current system hinder/restrict/limit trades because of uncertainty.  
I was wondering if anybody may be interested in moving it up sooner. The way the system is now makes us have to wait and ...IMO...could hinder trades.  

I really think that we should maybe revisit this...at least talk about it, so that we can discuss later if we do change something. As for me the sooner the better, now that the NFL draft is over. Let me know what you guys think.
Of course this is a topic to discuss on at the draft I'm just bringing it up now for minor discussion/thought.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010, 8:07pm by DOLFAN » Logged

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 9:07pm »

Joe, with all due and undue respect, I think you are your greatest obstacle to making trades. To wit, I think that the lottery-pick qualm, especially here in April, is largely just an excuse people are giving you so as not to make a deal, particularly at this very early hour, they,... eh-hem,... otherwise don't like, but I'll get to this more below.  Moreover, I still stand firmly that a lottery pick's flexibility can be a selling point in a deal.  Unfortunately, what I think makes this not the case for you is that you, in your incessant drive to squeeze every ounce of (so-called) advantage out of every deal, in your head process the value of lottery picks to your advantage, i.e., my (meaning your) 2.5 could be a 2.1, and your (your trading partner's) 1.1 could be the 1.5, therefore emphasizing, at least in your own mind, that I (you, that is) could be giving up the 2.1 for a 1.5, instead of the other more likely scenario that you end up getting the 1.1 for the 2.5.  I just think that is how you spin it in your head, at least, that is how you come off when formulating deals, and that surely is going to be a hindrance to your making trades.

WITH THAT SAID, both sides of the vote on this issue back in 2008 ended up being right.  On the one hand, a couple trades went down the week heading into the draft that, based on experience, probably would not have if the lottery were scheduled the day of.  That I cannot deny.  On the other hand, the lottery conference call itself did end up being very poorly attended and, thus, fairly anticlimactic with just three of us (gee, guess who?) on the conference call (at least, at any one time, I think someone arrived late, like after it was all over).

As I see it, once we got away from the value of having it the day of... as our anchor, THIS was inevitable.  Let's not monkey around here!  The question now, based on our decision in 2008, is, why not whenever?  Why limit it to the day the NFL Draft concludes?  Why don't we have it the day the season ends?  Why not two weeks before, a month, two months, eight months?  Once we reduced the matter merely to "when", and set aside the event itself, draft day and fun, we forsook substance for whim.  (In fact, Joe, this actually speaks to an element you bring to the league, which goes against what this league is about that made it so great.  The point of the GBRFL isn't to make an ideal system, but rather a good, fun league, which involves facilitating camaraderie.  You tend to pull us toward the former, moreover, typically according to what you experience goes against you, and I hate that.  But, I digress.)

So, ANYWAY, enough bullshit (right?)!  Where do I stand on the matter?  Unless we are going to consider moving it back to the day of the draft, I really don't give a rat's ass "when" we have it.  Really!  As far as I am concerned, since catering to Joe's whims is not good for my blood-pressure, why don't we just lay this to rest for good and make it the day the season ends?  There is an added bonus here.  Doing so removes the (flimsy) excuse about lottery picks that people often give Joe, and Joe can then see people's not making trades with him, with which they are otherwise dissatisfied, based on qualms with lottery picks for the excuse that, I'm sure, it more often than not is.

So, have at it, fellas!  Make your decision, and let me know.  Unless we are voting for moving it back to draft day, my vote is "abstain".
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 11:09pm »

I DIGRESS...
    You know, one of the greatest ways of going about making early offseason trades is to use early offseason uncertainty to make big or, at least, clear-cut moves.  When time was more on my side than it has been in late years, I made an art of this (and plan to do so again someday).  Forget about after the NFL Draft...  Prior to it, February, March, April, is the time to acquire and get rid of players you one way or the other have a "feeling" about.  That's still the way deals can be had in a league like this.  BUT, you gotta have the stomach for taking risks, something which, Joe, you have not shown a propensity for.  That's not to say that you haven't cut some deals, moreover, that have not gone your way.  But, still, at the time of the deal it seems to either side with you or be a rat's nest of multiple entangled draft picks, the value of which is virtually indiscernable, but somehow doesn't feel good.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 6:44am »

Not that I am going to let my vote be influenced by the fact that I am still bitter of my perception that some people might have tanked games in the last weekend to get a lottery pick........

With that said, my vote is:
HELL NO.  Keep it as it is.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 2:33pm »

After having several lengthy conversations with Steg over the past several years on this topic, I know that it does touch a nerve. Steg fought to keep status quo foremost to preserve the tradition of the day of the draft. I get this. I see this side and have absolutely no problems with it. On the flip side, we see that it did facilitate a couple of moves before the draft. To Steg's credit, he sees this as well and notes it above.

If we are going to discuss potentially reverting back to the original draft day lottery, I am up for discussion - it does have history and tradition with our GBRFL. But if that's not on the table then I feel no need to change the current structure.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 2:59pm »

Thank you for your thoughtful posts, Mark and Steve!

I know I'm being non sequitur and speaking to my subpoint here, but I just can't help myself because I do think it is importantly, albeit seemingly peripherally, connected...

on Apr 26th, 2010, 11:09pm, StegRock wrote:
I DIGRESS...
    You know, one of the greatest ways of going about making early offseason trades is to use early offseason uncertainty to make big or, at least, clear-cut moves.  When time was more on my side than it has been in late years, I made an art of this (and plan to do so again someday).  Forget about after the NFL Draft...  Prior to it, February, March, April, is the time to acquire and get rid of players you one way or the other have a "feeling" about.  That's still the way deals can be had in a league like this.  BUT, you gotta have the stomach for taking risks, something which, Joe, you have not shown a propensity for.  That's not to say that you haven't cut some deals, moreover, that have not gone your way.  But, still, at the time of the deal it seems to either side with you or be a rat's nest of multiple entangled draft picks, the value of which is virtually indiscernable, but somehow doesn't feel good.

Now, CASE, maybe not closed, but, IN POINT...

on Mar 26th, 2010, 2:38pm, Drew Rosenhaus wrote:
Opening the off-season trading for GBRFL...

DB receives:
Matt Forte
protection spot

MH receives:
Tony Romo
DB 2nd round pick 2010
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.