In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:31pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Funky Plays & How They Are Scored

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   Funky Plays & How They Are Scored
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Funky Plays & How They Are Scored  (Read 557 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Funky Plays & How They Are Scored
« on: Oct 8th, 2009, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Finally time, actually it's probably long overdue, to have a thread that documents how certain types of unusual plays are scored in the GBRFL format, especially since I am starting to notice, over a year in now mind you, the statistical discrepancies between TQStats (our old stats service) and CBSSportsline (our new one), which, I must admit, is a little less configurable and, thus, a little more generic than TQStats's raw stats sheet was (I'm guessing that's because, since they provide league management services, they aren't thinking all too many people are using their stats sheets for their own league software like we are).  This thread will, administratively speaking, stand as an "official rules" resource.  So, without further ado, here are three kinds of plays that have cropped up during this still young season that come to mind...  Remember, guys, this is NOT new stuff...  This is the way these plays have ALWAYS been scored going back to the ASG years.

1) Blocked punt returned for a touchdown,... just like a punt returned for a TD, DOES count against the DU as "Points Allowed" (this happened Week 1 this season, the Chiefs returned a blocked punt for a TD against the Ravens).  Rationale - once the ball leaves the punter's foot, the change of possession has taken place.  Now, if the punter were to fumble the ball, without its ever making contact with his foot, i.e. if it were ruled a fumble, and returned for a TD, it would NOT count as "Points Allowed" by the DU as the change of possession via the kick would have never taken place.  In any event, regarding the play at hand, this is a play that TQStats used to get wrong, but which CBSSportsline seems to record correctly vis-a-vis the GBRFL format.

2) Lost fumble by an offensive player, i.e. QB, RB, RC, on a punt or kickoff return (or hypothetically on defense, if some dude ever played both ways)...  does NOT count against the player as a "Fumble Lost" (this happened Week 2 this season, RB Felix Jones of the Cowboys lost a fumble on a kickoff return against the Giants).  Rationale - simple, a QB, RB or RC fielded by a team is NOT playing for said team in the capacity of punt or kickoff returner; on a punt or kickoff return the team does not get the TD if the player has one, and in the same vain the team does not get the fumble lost if he has one.  While TQStats got this right vis-a-vis our system, CBSSportsline does NOT!  Be on the lookout!

3) Lost fumble on a punt or kickoff return returned for a touchdown (by the defending team)... does NOT count against the DU as "Points Allowed" (this happened Week 4 this season to the Steelers when a fumble lost by their punt return man was returned for a touchdown by the Chargers).  Rationale - it is a defensive (special) team, not an offensive (special) team, that scored the TD.  (In fact, anytime the ball is turned over more than once, e.g. fumbled more than once on a single play and recovered by the opposing team each time, if a touchdown results, it will not count against the DU.  Rationale - every time after the first turnover which is the defensive unit and which is the offensive unit changes with each turnover.)  TQStats did not get this right, and it seems as though CBSSportsline does NOT as well!  Be on the lookout!
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15, '17, '19
# 22

9X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

Re: Funky Plays & How They Are Scored
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2009, 6:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Randy Moss didn't do much but he did have an INT.  Don't suppose I get credit for that ... in fact I played against the N.E. DEF so it counts against me right? ...  not that it matters this week.  
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009, 6:35pm by DB » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.