In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:02pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Uh-oh...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   Uh-oh...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Uh-oh...  (Read 573 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Uh-oh...
« on: Oct 27th, 2009, 1:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fellas,

As I emerge, stumbling, from the haze and gaiety of our after-party here celebrating our big 22-21 win over 1st-place Team Francis and look forward, I am bowled over by the sobering reality that is Week 8 for me. I realize that, even if Josh Johnson somehow held on to his job AND Jason Campbell were benched and Todd Collins given a chance, bottom line, I am down to one quarterback (if you want to call him that) next week, Michael Vick.  ALL the rest are on bye.  So, I would actually need two QB's to give myself a reasonable chance at the position because, as I see it, especially considering my competition next week, I'm better off just going with Vick and praying that he goes 1-for-1, winning me Comp. % and the bonus and pretty much ensuring at least a wash at Int's, than fielding just one (other) quarterback, potentially a scab at that.  Compounding matters, at running back all I have besides Grant are McGahee and Harrison. ALL the rest are on bye, even the injured ones (besides Davis).  YIKES!  Furthermore, I see that I play two games Week 8, and, as if that is not bad enough, here's the real kick in the head, one of them is against BOHRER,... who, moreover, is unscathed by next week's byes!

So, where am I going here?  I am up for making a big trade, three-way if need be... as, as I said above, I don't really see the point of my acquiring just one QB for Week 8, no less one scabby quarterback.  I need two to compete at the position (at least, with Bohrer).  Otherwise, I could just deal with it Week 9 when Big Ben's back and it's a matter of my trying to field two QB's again, and in that case it potentially could just be a bargain-basement scab a la the scab I currently have to go along with Roethlisberger, Josh Johnson.  I also could be up for acquiring a tailback that would enhance my chances at that position, as well, next week.  On my end, I am willing to part with ANY PLAYER or DEFENSE on my roster with it understood that I am NOT desperate and looking to sell my team short out of concern for this one week or even this season, in which I think I am unlikely to contend for a championship or even a plaque.  I know that charity is not the venue here, but, given that I play DB, there should be at least some interest on the parts of the contenders to help give me a fighting chance against him.  I mean, as things stand, I won't even bother watching football next Sunday as I literally don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.  If my combined loss were kept to under 100 next week, I would consider that a sort of victory.  It's just that bad...

So, ANYBODY,... with a heart OR a calculating mind who happens to find themselves on "my" side here... HELP!!!

- Steg
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

Re: Uh-oh...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 1:56am »

Steg, give me a call.  I'm looking to trade also.  I may be able to make you an offer you couldn't refuse.

(In this vein, without attempting to co-opt Steg's thread here, I feel the uncontrollable urge to vent.  Uh-oh is right.  I lost Leon Washington to a season ending injury, I lost Andre Johnson to a bruised lung, and now Chris Cooley is out indefinitely with a broken ankle.  What a crappy week . . .)

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 5:32am »

If you need a third person to make a deal happen, consider me in.  I have RBs and QBs to level it out.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 12:25pm »

Uh, Travis, you may want to consider that Stegeman's "other" game is against you.  If not sure whether he strategically left that little fact out or if he was insulting you.

However, I hope that someone does conspire to make a trade with him, that I kick Stegeman's ass anyway, and that that trade backfires and leads to Stegeman getting a plaque over the fool who he is competing with for that plaque.  Please, go ahead, knock yourself out (literally).

Now, if you don't mind, I am going to go back to reading about Danny calling Joe and asshole and Joe responding that his sucky team is going to be great or that his great team is going to be sucky or whatever the case may be....
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 4:28pm »

Steg, It sounds bit like desparation to me. With that said I would interested in a deal. I have planty of RBs.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 5:13pm »

I object to none of this post of DB's, except the intimation of underhandedness of this...

on Oct 27th, 2009, 12:25pm, DB wrote:
Uh, Travis, you may want to consider that Stegeman's "other" game is against you. If not sure whether he strategically left that little fact out or if he was insulting you.

Funny thing... After reading Travis's post in the wee hours LATE last night before shutting my computer down, I thought that some asshole may make that leap in judgment and thought that I should address it before said asshole did (said asshole was expected to be Joe), but it was already LATE as hell, so I let it slide for the time being. I was planning to mention it when I spoke with Travis, anyway. I may be MANY things, but, if you don't know me well enough by now that THAT (kind of underhandedness) is NOT my m.o., I don't know what to say...

Quote:
However, I hope that someone does conspire to make a trade with him...

"Conspire"...???  Come on, dude.  Am I not permitted to actively try to improve my team, especially vis-a-vis the extreme circumstances I am up against next week.  I guess you just want me to lay down for you...

on Oct 27th, 2009, 4:28pm, DOLFAN wrote:
Steg, It sounds bit like desparation to me. With that said I would interested in a deal. I have planty of RBs.

The operative word there, Joe, is sounds... At the proverbial end of the day, my actions will bear out that it is not "is".
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009, 5:26pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 5:50pm »

To answer your question, YES, you can try to improve your team and one of the ways to do it is through conspiring with other teams that may have a joint interest. Just like I wanted you and Steve to beat Frank this week. I just didn't do anything except root for you guys. Either way, right or wrong, how is it not conspiring, especially the way you worded it (guys, I play DB, I need help...)???

However, the key point is there is nothing wrong with what you did and there is nothing wrong with my response. You have a right to rally the troops to help you win and I have a right to point out certain facts to blow it up. It's all good. But then to go and call ME an asshole ... well that's fucked up, especially given the way I wrote it.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2009, 5:51pm by DB » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 8:58pm »

The point about playing "you", Dave, has nothing to do with conspiracy... It just speaks to the further severity of my circumstances next week given how good of a team you have. I'm just trying to "pile it on" (myself). I didn't mention my game with Travis because a) record aside, his team is a far cry from yours, but, moreover, b) he also has a rough bye week next week, not quite as bad as mine, but... pretty bad. You, on the other hand, do not! You are a top team at FULL CAPACITY next week. So, while my game against you speaks to my EXTREMELY "desperate" circumstances next week, my game against Travis really doesn't (so, I guess according to your post, D, I was "insulting" T). Though, do note, just my having two games does, AND, to wit, I did mention that! Now, maybe our problem here is one of definition. I take "conspiracy" to indicate a course of action that at all costs you want to keep hidden (because of its insidiousness/underhandedness, like if I did a trade where an agreement was made to reverse it later after my game with you). By that definition, what I am doing here, trying to prompt a LEGIT trade by all means available to me OUT IN THE OPEN, is not conspiracy, at least not in its "negative sense". Now, if by "conspire" you don't mean anything negative, you mean something like "collaborate", then I apologize greatly for my reaction for it was based on my reading of the word. But, I would suggest that, if by "conspire" you do not mean anything negative, you might opt for another word which has less of a negative connotation for fear of hurting someone's feelings even if ultimately joking. I could have handled "gang up on", as in ganging up on you, or something like that. But, a conspiracy guy I am not, which is testified to by my making my plea here in public. In this light, the comparison between my "actual" situation next week, which I have to figure out how to play through, and your "rooting" interests this past is tenuous at best. I mean, you canNOT equate the implicit suggestion there of the possibility of your cutting deals with Steve and me to help us against Frank this past week with my trying to elicit deals in any way possible to stay above water next week. The circumstances are, for all intents and purposes here, TOTALLY different. As you said in the end, it's all good... But, at the moment, I am more concerned about the "logic" behind your definition of conspiracy and how you're applying it here to me than the bottom-line simple point you made in the end, which, though I appreciate vis-a-vis this particular exchange, I don't think really captures the nuance of ethical life. I will get around to that, though.

But, I digress... I thought, if anything, from you my post might inspire, at worst, a joking "roll up your sleeves" sense of "Come get me, Steg! Give me everything you got," and, at best, maybe even a little sympathy for my particularly brutal circumstances next week and, a gasp, a trade offer to help me out just a little against you this week (because you don't want me "crying" about my situation and making excuses for my defeat) but that also is good for you moving forward because, actually, you are one of the teams, ironically granted, in a position to lend me a hand this week (although you wouldn't have to do so to the point of its being enough for me, or not with your long-term benefit in mind; I mean, how "Fonzie" cool would that be?).

Finally, though, insofar as you meant it all tongue in cheek, I do apologize for my response. You know me... I love joking around, but I have my buttons. One of them, for sure, is jokes that put into question my ethics, which is what I pride myself on. I've devoted myself vocationally to the study of ethical conduct, moving THOUSANDS of miles and enduring great personal and professional disappointments in the process, and accepted a life of virtual poverty heretofore and foreseeably, already coming from an extremely humble background mind you, in pursuit of such. I am thin-skinned when someone puts my ethics into question... like you might be if someone put your legal skills and ethics as a lawyer into question, and, thus, a word like "conspire" becomes a hot-button word for me. Do note, though, Dave, that, if you follow my logic there strictly, my reference to an "asshole" was meant for Joe. So, at worst, you are just an "asshole-by-proxy". But, really, I do apologize for hurting your feelings. Per the above, I'm just sensitive when it comes to jokes about my ethics and motives.

AMENDMENT...

on Oct 27th, 2009, 12:25pm, DB wrote:
However, I hope that someone does conspire to make a trade with him, that I kick Stegeman's ass anyway, and that that trade backfires and leads to Stegeman getting a plaque over the fool who he is competing with for that plaque. Please, go ahead, knock yourself out (literally).

I'll let the rest, above, stand, i.e. not edit it. HOWEVER, in rereading DB's post, I did just realize that he had ME winning a plaque over my potential fellow "conspirator"... I had it the other way around... That would VERY MUCH SO be proof in the pudding of his jesting... and NOT slighting me... So, I REALLY do apologize, Dave... That is REALLY my bad... I was at work when I read it and posted my response and OBVIOUSLY did not read it closely enough. I just saw that word "conspire", reflected upon what I had thought the night before (re: that someone might make just such a post in response to Rave's) and just lost my cool. Also, I must admit that I'm even a little extra sensitive (than my usual PMS self) because I really don't want to seem like I'm "against you", Dave. I really wish in this situation I were going up "against" someone I felt more comfortable "being opposed to", like, say, Joe or Feder. Also, all of this is not even to mention that I REALLY am TOTALLY bummed out about my situation next week, and that too has me hypersensitive. In any event, I'm so sorry! But, please, D, remember it was "asshole-by-proxy"...
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009, 1:03am by Stegfucius » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 9:43pm »

Somehow I knew that my name and "asshole" would be mentioned...

That is Steg's pet name for me in our love/hate relationship. If he didn't call me that 12-15 times  a year I would thing he is too busy for me anymore.  

I tell ya what I do miss though. That is Trout calling me every week to tell me how bad my team sucks, and trying to break my spirits. Interestly enough though, is that he wont answer or return my weekly calls to him when I try to return the favor. I miss our weekly chats, adn I would almost always answer...I wish his team was a bit better, so that he would be hiding in a closet wondering where he went wrong in the draft and trading all of his top picks next year for guys getting benched or suspended for calling coaches fags!!! Whenever you want to call me Trout, I will be here for ya buddy. Pitty you have nothing to say now that your team is a bottom 2 team...like I predicted. Call me anyway and we can talk about Feder's shitty team!!!! HAHA.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 27th, 2009, 10:05pm »

on Oct 27th, 2009, 9:43pm, DOLFAN wrote:
Somehow I knew that my name and "asshole" would be mentioned...

That is Steg's pet name for me in our love/hate relationship. If he didn't call me that 12-15 times a year I would thing he is too busy for me anymore.

That did make me and my smiley buddies there laugh our asses off, I must admit.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28th, 2009, 12:01am »

Well, at this point, LOTS of you have gotten... or from me...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.