In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 4:17pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron The Greatest Team Ever!

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   The Greatest Team Ever!
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Greatest Team Ever!  (Read 757 times)
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

The Greatest Team Ever!
« on: Dec 14th, 2009, 11:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As my team approaches history, all I can do is really sit back and soak it all in.  No need to trash talk ... what is the point?  This is what I expected (and pretty much so did everyone except for those dumbass pre-season predictions by JP having me come in second.   .  Please).

Will my team set the record (my record) for most wins in a season?  Will we topple the record (my record) for best points differential?  I don't know, but individual achievements are not what is important here.  It's about the team and the team stuck together to get the job done.

We all hear legendary sports stories.  Whether it's Babe Ruth calling his shot, the Immaculate Reception, etc.  Everyone knows where they were when OJ was in the White Bronco.  

The stories that helped build my team will rank near the top stories of all time.  We'll be telling our grandkids about my deal with Parsons, what was it?, a young, not yet playing, Aaron Rodgers for 1500 yard back Travis Henry .... a deal cut while I was drunk and stupid in A.C. the night before Thanksgiving.  (ok, maybe there was more to the deal, but it makes the story better).   Feder will need oxygen and Pepto Bismol to talk of the Tony Romo for Willie Parker deal.  Of course, we all know where we were when Pak pulled out my number, the #1 pick, and there he was, Adrian Peterson!

We are living history my friends.  I'm glad you can all be part of it with me.  

DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

Re: The Greatest Team Ever!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2009, 4:26pm »

If they ever do a movie about my team, the following scene will definately be in it (the facts are only slightly exagerated):

The scene takes place in my backyard about 1.5 years ago.  Steg and I are throwing a football around, cooking on the grill.

Steg: Dude, I am interested in trading for Tavaris Jackson.  That guy is f'ing awesome.

Me:  Okay.  He sucks and is about to lose his starting job, but I will trade him for a worthless draft pick.  Then I will trade that draft pick and turn that deal into Joe Flacco and Josh Freeman.   That way I'll have two young stud QBs for the future on my bench while my current stud QBs rock me out some championships.

Steg: Deal.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 1:02pm »

on Dec 15th, 2009, 4:26pm, DB wrote:
If they ever do a movie about my team, the following scene will definately be in it (the facts are only slightly exagerated):

The scene takes place in my backyard about 1.5 years ago.  Steg and I are throwing a football around, cooking on the grill.

Steg: Dude, I am interested in trading for Tavaris Jackson.  That guy is f'ing awesome.

Me:  Okay.  He sucks and is about to lose his starting job, but I will trade him for a worthless draft pick.  Then I will trade that draft pick and turn that deal into Joe Flacco and Josh Freeman.   That way I'll have two young stud QBs for the future on my bench while my current stud QBs rock me out some championships.

Steg: Deal.

(Then...)

Steg (thinking to himself):  GREAT...  Now I can cut Kurt Warner!

Anyway, CONGRATS, brother D! Hell of a job! Four rings...  Feels pretty good, doesn't it? Of course, you have two distinctions, one of which I nor anybody else will ever be able to attain:  two consecutive championships, for which you join the ranks of Danny boy, and, the one quite surprisingly no one else ever pulled off and will presumably never be able to, the old 1st Place League Championship and Super Bowl sweep.  Incidentally, you also, as you point out, hold on to the record for most wins in a season, but Danny still does hold on to the record for best winning percentage in a season.  In any event, we got some fantasy footballers with some distinction around these here parts...
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 7:59pm »

Holy SHIT. I just threw up a little in my mouth.  

Dave ol' boy. Your run has INSPIRED me.  

It isnpired me to work out and get in shape and devote the winter to preparing for this summer's pool basketball game. (picture Stallone carrying a telephone pole up the mountain in Rocky IV) You will be my Drago. I will not stop until i pull Adrian Peterson out of your kidney, through your left ear.

The truly sad thing is (and mind you, I haven't done the math) but at a glance it looks like 9 teams have the potential to finish at .500 or worse. That has to be some kind of record as well.

So i guess the point is, we've done everything we could to help you get in this wonderful record setting position.  

ENJOY AND YOUR WELCOME.

^)(*&)(&_*()&(&*^*$*^%$&*^

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 9:49pm »

Yes, Dave, your team is good. Ridiculously good, in fact. Given the caliber of fantasy football players in this league, a team could only get this good in one (or more) of four ways:

(1) getting high lottery picks for several consecutive years
(2) blackmailing other owners for advantageous trades
(3) blackmailing other owners to throw games so you can win them
(4) straight-up, unbelievably prescient and shrewd managing

We can rule out #2 and #3: there's been nary a whiff of suspect trades (or, at least, none that involve DB; Steg, on the other hand . . . ), and #3 doesn't work in a league where most of us play more than one team a week (besides, Dave's team is real good on paper, so #3 isn't feasible). #1 is quite possible, given Dave's suckage for several consecutive years (before I joined the league), but the problem is that #1 only works (i.e., causes your team to be really good) if the owner picks wisely. In other words, #1 requires some level of #4.

Two observations. First, looking at the rosters and standings from past years, it seems clear to me that Dave's success perfectly exemplifies the distinction, the unique challenge, of keeper leagues. Dave didn't just have a good year, didn't just make a killer trade: he built a team over several years, gradually fashioning a championship team. Look at his rosters from the past few years: not a whole lot of change, relatively speaking. It just took "grooming" his players: getting young players and sitting on the talent till it bloomed, as well as projecting the players peaking at the right time (Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, DeAngelo Wiliams, etc.). It's harder than it seems, but it's important to fashion a team not just of good players, but of players whose production occurs at the right times. You need to have a team whose stars productive years overlap or, better yet, coincide, and Dave has that: Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, Steven Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, AP, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss -- all are highly productive RIGHT NOW! We all strive for that in our teams, but it's hard to do. This aspect of keeper leagues adds a whole new dimension to fantasy football: it's not just stacking your team for the year (Yahoo leagues), but rather building for the long-haul by considering youth and age, amount and time of production, etc.  Anyway, you all know this: as the newbie in the league, I'm just thinking out loud here.  It's taken me some time to figure out the ins and outs of this part of the GBRFL.

Second, it took some luck: Dave hasn't had an injury to any of his major players this year. But there's a caveat here: Dave also won last year, and was 3rd the year before, so luck isn't a huge factor in this year's success.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Hat's off to you, DB! Very well done!

PS: A comment on Frank's comment. Frank said that it was sad that 9 teams could conceivably finish below .500 this year. I disagree, not about the math but about the judgment. Here's why: on the flip side, 7 teams (or more, mathematically) could finish ABOVE .500.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009, 10:00pm by Travistotle » Logged
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2009, 2:40pm »

Can't argue with any of that.   Thank you. Travis, next time I see you in the GBRFL Champions' Only Lounge I will buy you a beer and we can talk about and analyze the success of my team all you want.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009, 2:40pm by DB » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 3:41pm »

Congrats Dave.  
Your team is dominating yet again. You have assembled alot of stud players. You survived basically 2 years w/o major injury too!!! Great Job!!
You are coasting, and riding the wave. I hope am curious to see if you can threepeat.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 8:00pm »

I hate this part of a congratulatory message...

on Jan 4th, 2010, 3:41pm, DOLFAN wrote:
You survived basically 2 years w/o major injury too!!!

It only serves to mitigate the "great job" you are crediting the guy with.  Truth is, D's team probably could have withstood one or, depending on the players, two big injuries.  I'm with Danny on this...  D, your team is the straight-up shiznit!  Great job,... period!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.