In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 9:27pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2010 Summer Meeting & Draft... AND...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2010 Summer Meeting & Draft... AND...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 Summer Meeting & Draft... AND...  (Read 2092 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

2010 Summer Meeting & Draft... AND...
« on: May 26th, 2010, 12:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heyas, Guys!

A couple important notes...

First, yous all should remember that the Annual GBRFL Summer Meeting & Draft is scheduled for Saturday, August 14th.  This was decided at last year's meeting.  This was done in the hopes of facilitating the attendance of the guys whose attending is difficult because they live far away, those guys being Mark, Danny and Travis, two of whom have unfortunately been unable to date to be present at the Summer Meeting.

In any case, regardless of that, regarding the date, I must regretfully announce that we really do not have much in the way of flexibility this year.  In terms of the PERENNIAL "later the better" discussion, the weekend of the 14th is the LATEST it can be this year if I am to attend.  I HAVE TO be back in Illinois the following weekend for the start of the semester that following Monday, the 23rd (especially given my "situation" this upcoming fall; to see what I mean about that, go here:  http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1037120039;start=125. ).  The only options we would have is to move it up to the weekends of either July 31st or August 7th.  So, with that said, I'm thinking we're gonna wanna stick with the 14th!  Start time 12:30... yadda, yadda!  Probably at Frank's, assuming he's game!  As we discussed, and another reason to have it on Saturday instead of Sunday,... maybe a Dave & Buster's run this year, especially if guys from a distance make the trek!

Anyway, the other note,... Dave Trout will be returning this year.

Well, that's all for now...  Let the discussions commence, but, again, as you prepare to tap the keys, fellas, do please be attentive to the reality this year that wiggle room is very limited and technically this decision was made last August by all of us.

Over and Out,
Commissioner Steg
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

Re: 2010 Summer Meeting & Draft... AND...
« Reply #1 on: May 26th, 2010, 3:57pm »

I will be riding with Steve Warner again this year, so whatever works for him.  

I am open to all three options. I was just talking to my wife about this last week when we talked about our vacation. I have not made any plans yet for vacation.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2010, 1:41pm »

Gentlemen,

My situation from Colorado has become very muddled for the draft. Due to a passing in my wife's family during Christmastime, we will be in Minnesota August 14-15 for a memorial/family reunion. I won't be able to be on the phone during that Saturday (and for that matter, Sunday). I know plans are in the works for many of you and if it has to be that weekend, I will submit picks via a list.

If I could impose on the league and see if August 7th (Saturday) works for people, I really would appreciate it. In fact, I'm sincerely working hard to make a personal appearance in NJ for the draft. My only holdup is I had been planning to work in a business trip and the owner decided yesterday to make it back east this year instead. So I am trying to find reasonable air as we speak. However, if there is a way to move the draft up to the 7th, I will plan on being there.

Again, I hate to throw this at everyone and I don't mean to impose my will on the entire league. If the 14th works better for others, I completely understand. Just wanted to see where things were for everyone.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 5th, 2010, 10:26am »

I have concert tickets for August 7th. If the draft is at Frank's, I would have to leave around 3:00-ish.  If the draft is a D & B's, I wouldn't be able to make it. August 8 is ok.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010, 10:27am by DB » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 5th, 2010, 1:33pm »

My only quick response to DB's post - and, mind you, this is not at all a knock on DB - is that here we go having to potentially go with a Sunday again. This seems - and I think this only makes sense - to always be the case when we have to move the date, that is, insofar as Sundays are generally freer. Ideally, moving forward, we'll get into the habit of scheduling the next year's draft at the prior draft, being more conscious of that date, taking it seriously and, ultimately, sticking to the date set. I say this, because I think as long as we continue to have to move dates somewhat last minute, we're destined to Sundays [which, in a general sense, have an inherent level of inconvenience, given that most are heading back into a workweek, and are particularly inconvenient for some (I'm thinking Steve and Joe), and, in any case, ultimately, as we all know, put severe limitations on our "extracurricular" activities (I'm thinking Dave & Buster's)]. This was the first year we tried to schedule a year prior, so... let the chips fall where they may this time,... but let's try to get in the habit of planning a year ahead and seeing if we can't right this ship in the long run. ... Others?
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2010, 1:35pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 9:36am »

At this point, I am totally flexible.  I would lean towards the 7th/8th if Mark can actually make it in.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 3:47pm »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 9:36am, DirkDiggler wrote:
I would lean towards the 7th/8th if Mark can actually make it in.

I think we're in a little bit of a "clusterschtook" here.  On the one hand, Saturday, the 7th is not at all good for DB, but, on the other, if Mark can make it (which I think is probably a fairly big IF at this point), you'd think we'd want to really do it up with a Dave & Buster's run or something, which the 8th, a Sunday, would indubitably preclude, especially if Mark would have to be back to work in Denver the following Monday, but, in any event, for most everybody else.  So,...
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 11:08am »

Hey guys, I cannot make it on the August 7 or the weekend of July 31st.  I have a wedding on August the 7th and will not be available via phone for the draft.  On the weekend of July 31st, I will be in Maryland.  I may be able to do a phone draft, but will not be able to be there in person.  Also, I am on vacation from July 17-24th.  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 9:42pm »

Just to get this out on the table, since Sunday, August 8th is good for everybody who has responded thus far, and given Mark's predicament, let it be known that I am not opposed to moving this year's Summer Meeting & Draft to that date. That said, let it also be noted that this is in spite of the reality that Sundays really do put an end to after-hours activities for those attending. As I stated a couple messages ago, I really think that we have to get into the habit of hammering in a date at the prior year's summer meeting and doing our absolute best of sticking to it.

So, in any event, regarding this year, I guess we are at the point of putting to informal vote moving the draft from Saturday, August 14th to Sunday, August 8th. Please post your preference (and thoughts) at your earliest possible convenience. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2010, 12:34am by Stegfucius » Logged
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 10:24pm »

The 8th of August will work for me
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 9:09am »

August 8 is good for me.  

As far as planning ahead is concerned, I agree, but we'd be lucky to get a 50% success rate with that.  For example, Mark had an unforeseen event and you can never predict when people will get married, have anniversaries parties, etc.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 12:06pm »

on Jun 8th, 2010, 9:09am, DB wrote:
As far as planning ahead is concerned, I agree, but we'd be lucky to get a 50% success rate with that. For example, Mark had an unforeseen event and you can never predict when people will get married, have anniversaries parties, etc.

This I don't know...  I think we came pretty close to success this first year of planning ahead the prior year.  What I do know is that, every time (I can think of off the top of my head) we've had to adjust the date as the date approaches, we land on a Sunday, which is surely the lamer day to have it.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 1:28pm »

This has probably been discussed ad nauseam before I joined the league, but what about having the draft on a Friday night?  Would all you guys who are going be able to take off sometime in the afternoon and arrive in NJ Friday evening?  

The draft could be in the late evening, and that would leave Saturday free for those who could stick around . . .

Is this even possible?

- Travis
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 3:04pm »

Just to put the icing on this, I can't do the 14th either. I'm taking a kid to college. Any time the weekend prior would work.  

As always, i'm happy to host although I would be up for a Dave and Buster's night as well.

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 9:04am »

Looks like August 8 is going to be the draft date.

However, as an alternative, why don't we just forget the draft and just get everyone together for a D & B run on July 31. Mark, you can get away for one night. Philly is pretty central located for everyone else. Even Travis can hitch a ride with the Dukes of Hazzard and we can see if Mark and Travis are really different people with the same voice.

Then we can just do the draft the end of August in 2 hours online or something. Is the championship really in doubt this year?
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010, 9:05am by DB » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 11:36pm »

Yes, insofar as a move to August 8th looks inevitable, I am here to officially announce it.  Now, as that is a Sunday, unless guys express otherwise, can get off on Monday, or whatever, I'm assuming that grounds us in terms of after-hours festivities aside from the usual water basketwrestling, which, mind yous, between cramps I really enjoy.

As for DB's, I'm guessing, half tongue-and-cheek alternative, there are a number of fronts on which I don't think that would work, but...  What 10- to 14-day span the Steggies will be back there visiting my mom has yet to be put in stone, but it very well won't include the weekend of July 31st.  In fact, the plan heretofore has been to be back there between August 5th-ish and 17th-ish.  It is the return that is more crucial, though.  We could potentially bump up our dates (I would just assume have the draft on the 31st if even guys from a distance can come, though, but I digress for the moment).  Bottom line, I would really need to hear some definitive affirmative word from the distance guys, one of whom, mind you, we haven't even heard from here yet (Danny).  With that said, their coming or not does not preclude DB's proposal.  Hypothetically, we could just do our D&B "thang" on the 31st and roll the draft on-line later in the month or even in early-early September.  Honestly, for me, that wouldn't be so great because school is then back in session and my time is going to be much more limited than it just was a mere couple weeks prior, but that is the case.  If we could actually get everybody together on the 31st or any date around this time (now or in the future), I just say that's the day we have the draft, then.

The point is, while I surely would like us to spend quality time together and I think that possibility is enhanced by getting together on a Saturday, I personally am not looking for the "social" side of things to take precedence over the GBRFL side of things in our discussion of setting draft dates.  That is to push the pendulum in the extreme opposite and I think wrong direction.  Furthermore, moving in the direction of on-line drafts seems counter to the spirit of, and I even think detrimental to, the league.  Look, I understand that DB was not suggesting this, but I think the temptation of doing the draft on-line has its allure, but it is one we have to reject for the better of this league.  I mean, the trajectory of this is, sooner (not later) we would be in the situation of not being able to get the guys together for the social outing (I mean it's hard enough to get the guys together for a reason, namely the draft, no less just for a social outing), but the draft is already scheduled on-line, and, before you know it, getting together becomes an afterthought, drafting on-line becomes the norm, especially with the pull towards "the later the better" acting as a further facilitator, and the GBRFL Summer "Meeting" is a thing of the past.  I mean, I understand that this is, in DB's mind, at best just a one-year suggestion.  But, taking a step back and considering the bigger picture, especially since we have three guys at a distance for whom the get-together really isn't a central issue and, again, since the mindset of "the later the better" always (understandably, mind you) lurks, I think seriously entertaining, no less trying out, such a notion is at the eventual peril of the live draft, and I firmly believe, again, that losing the live draft is to lose the spirit of the league.  The strictly social league get-together, let's face it, wouldn't last long (especially given the distances, even for us "local" Virginia/Illinois guys), and the camaraderie of our league would deteriorate (as naturally tends to happen with on-line leagues).  Again, I'm not saying that DB was suggesting all this.  I'm just saying that, further thought through, that's what the proposal suggests when the logic of it is extended.

Again, if we really can get EVERYBODY, the distance guys and all, together on July 31st, hell, let's just have the draft that day (we've had it that early before)... and head out afterwards.

That, as we know, ain't happening...  So, back to reality, which, mind you, all my idealistic striving aside ain't that bad (Frank puts on a great show), the draft is now set for Sunday, August 8th starting at around 12:30 (EST).  Any problems with that date, which I pray that there are not, please post A.S.A.P.  Thank you!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 9:18am »

good with me i am in!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 12:23pm »

August 8th is good for me, as usual I'm the co-pilot/ for Steve Warner, so whatever he decides works for me.

FLESH
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 66

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 10:59pm »

I will be attending. Sharpening my elbows now for the annual bball pool tourney.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 6:40am »

I will be participating in the draft.....the question to still be determined is if I will make it up to Jersey or not.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 12:14pm »

on Jun 17th, 2010, 6:40am, DirkDiggler wrote:
I will be participating in the draft.....the question to still be determined is if I will make it up to Jersey or not.

While I am very appreciative of your efforts to make the 8th work, Stevo, I am bummed that you (have to even consider the reality that you) may not be able to make it up.  BUT, I understand.  Sunday is a drag on you (and Joe).  I get it, and I apologize that this is the circumstance yet again.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 9:05pm »

on Jun 17th, 2010, 12:14pm, StegRock wrote:

While I am very appreciative of your efforts to make the 8th work, Stevo, I am bummed that you (have to even consider the reality that you) may not be able to make it up. BUT, I understand. Sunday is a drag on you (and Joe). I get it, and I apologize that this is the circumstance yet again.

No need to apoligize.  But thanks.   My issue is a life circumstance issue.  At this point it is leaning towards a stong go, but won't be able to finalize until later.    

Driving home on a Sunday night does really suck.  Took me 6 hours to get home from Haddon Heights, NJ last week.  BRUTAL!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 1st, 2010, 3:50pm »

Well, guys, with the Summer Meeting & Draft now firmly in place for Sunday, August 8th, cuts will be due by 11:59:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 1st, that is, ONE MONTH to the day of this message! As I prepare to update the league web site for the 2010 season, it would be much appreciated if everyone could post how many protection spots they respectively have. On that note, I have 12 (I traded one away but got one back). Next...
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2010, 4:08pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Jul 1st, 2010, 4:38pm »

I still have 12 protection spots......

DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 1st, 2010, 4:48pm »

Steg, I sent you the updated draft grid with all infor for you to verify.  

ALSO, I have a question????the draft lottery....like last year...will it be the Monday evening August 2nd, like it was last year???

I have 13 Pro Spots.

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.