In remembrance of 9/11/01



Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 24th, 2017, 7:13pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron A Must Rule Change

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   A Must Rule Change
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Must Rule Change  (Read 650 times)
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
*****
# 12



No Vaseline for you!

   
View Profile

Posts: 530

Back to top

A Must Rule Change
« on: Sep 12th, 2010, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not being able to make lineup changes prior to kickoff is a killer. I am in a position this week where Bennie Wells is very questionable and i am now reading he may play in a very limited role. My lineup was put in Th and i would like to change him out for a better prospect but this rule of not being able to make changes is not benificial for anyone. I am sure everyone is in this position at somepoint? Most leagues allow for last minute changes to lineups when more information becomes available prior to kickoff. We need to get this changed asap in my opinion.
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Funny you say this... because I wake up today with nothing but a kiddish Christmas-morning feeling of excitement and joy.  But, truth is, I had the exact same predicament with Michael Bush this week.  Get over it! For the umpteenth time, in VERY brief because it is the umpteenth time, allowing for lineup changes after the kickoff of the first game(s) of the week, whenever they are, in our kind of head-to-head roto-ish-style, moreover, manually run (by one virtually unpaid guy) system is way easier said than done.  There are also the ripple effects of unintended consequences, like the exposure of lineups to opponents when they too can make changes.  Furthermore, this tends not to be that big of a deal (as it seems to you right now) as most weeks kick off on a Sunday and the cascading of lineups often takes care of things by mitigating the blow.  Lastly, for now, this opens up the can of worms of the later games on Sunday, Sunday night and Monday night.  What about people in such predicaments for those games?  The point is, there is no amount of rules that is going to make things entirely fair... in life... in this game.  With the new ordinances comes new (unthought-of) unfairnesses, possibilities of unfairness.  Thing is, here, we've even thought of them beforehand.  Trust me, you'd rather have to make a call on Wells on Thursday than let your opponents have a sneak-peek in on your lineup before they have to submit theirs.
Logged
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
*****
# 12



No Vaseline for you!

   
View Profile

Posts: 530

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I disagree, makes no sense at all. Switching out a player can only help a team and has no bearing on who i am playing. It is retarded!
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I cringed, actually, when I included that last part of my message because I knew, like God made apples, that you would simply respond just to it.  I hoped otherwise...  My knowledge proved right; my hope, wrong.  Funny how that works...  Moving right along,... first, again, that's just one aspect.  Second, even with respect to that one aspect, (I know) you're not even (capable of) putting in the requisite thought to be said to have really "thought it through".  You're just reacting to your circumstances and the "grave unfairness" life has dealt you at the moment.  Again, I am in the same boat here this week and have a totally different take.  The point, is it really about an objective unfairness needing rectification, or is it about personal dispositions?  Insofar as it's the latter (my suggestion is that it is), that's why changing rules (for everybody) based on perceived personal injustices is always a dicey road.  BUT, again, we're just dealing with one facet of the matter here.
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just to get one clusterfucky aspect of this out on the table (which has already been hashed out in the past, mind you),... think through, how would this work vis-a-vis free-agency (clusterfuck #1), moreover, when I, a fellow participant in the league, do the processing of player transactions (clusterfuck #2)?  Anyway,... we've been down this road before.  In Danny's defense, on some simple level, it doesn't seem like a big deal.  But, once you peel it back a layer or two (which, again, we've done in the past), nuanced and problematic complications emerge.
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 12th, 2010, 12:30pm, StegRock wrote:
In Danny's defense, on some simple level, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

 
Danny, I understand, you're just thinking, "I just want to pull Wells out.  What's the big deal?"  The thing is it's not even close to being that simple.
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heya, Danny...  Now that we know Hakeem Nicks's stats on the day, maybe we can pass a new rule on the spot here today letting you put him in your Week 1 lineup...  Alternatively, could I, like in the NFL, sign him off your practice squad?
Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
*****
# 5





   
View Profile

Posts: 3121

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 12th, 2010, 4:21pm, StegRock wrote:
Heya, Danny... Now that we know Hakeem Nicks's stats on the day, maybe we can pass a new rule on the spot here today letting you put him in your Week 1 lineup... Alternatively, could I, like in the NFL, sign him off your practice squad?

 
 
I am REALLY REALLY hoping that Sims Walker catches SOMETHING or Nicks stats will count. Maybe we should change the cascading rule. (effective immediately)
 
Update:  FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!  Arian Foster and Hakeem Nicks fucked me.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:33pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Also, all this hubbub here today was for naught.  It didn't even matter. Yet again, the cascading lineups took care of the situation.  From "The REAL Feed":
 
Cardinals RB Beanie Wells inactive
The Sports Network: NFL (12.09.2010 15:23)
 
Just relax,... and enjoy,... and don't worry about the rules so much, moreover, from moment-to-moment only as they apply to a circumstance you happen to be dealing with at a given moment! We all got to deal with them...  That's my take!
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 12th, 2010, 4:25pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
I am REALLY REALLY hoping that Sims Walker catches SOMETHING or Nicks stats will count. Maybe we should change the cascading rule. (effective immediately)

 
Yea, right, Steve!
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 12th, 2010, 4:35pm, StegRock wrote:
Yea, right, Steve!

 
Expounding on that,... Sims-Walker obviously played.  He was targeted twice.  Not that I think we should make any changes, but, if there is a rule to change (in the spirit of justice?), the cascading of receivers is it!  It is you, Steve, and not Danny, who is really in a position to raise a stink!  At the end of the day here, after all this BS, Danny is going to end up being the greatest beneficiary of the rules, most notably the cascading rule! That said, I think our rules as regards all this are right on!
Logged
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
*****
# 414



Semper Philosophans

   
View Profile

Posts: 487

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 12th, 2010, 12:03pm, StegRock wrote:
I cringed, actually, when I included that last part of my message because I knew, like God made apples, that you would simply respond just to it. I hoped otherwise... My knowledge proved right; my hope, wrong. Funny how that works... Moving right along,... first, again, that's just one aspect. Second, even with respect to that one aspect, (I know) you're not even (capable of) putting in the requisite thought to be said to have really "thought it through". You're just reacting to your circumstances and the "grave unfairness" life has dealt you at the moment. Again, I am in the same boat here this week and have a totally different take. The point, is it really about an objective unfairness needing rectification, or is it about personal dispositions? Insofar as it's the latter (my suggestion is that it is), that's why changing rules (for everybody) based on perceived personal injustices is always a dicey road. BUT, again, we're just dealing with one facet of the matter here.

 
Just to confirm what Steg is saying here (not that it needs confirmation objectively, nor that majority opinion is correct per se, but subjectively it may help if someone else backs him up) --  Steg is absolutely right .
 
Creating laws/rules in reaction to an individual situation is one of the worst policies.  (It is why we have so many gorram laws in this country, btw.)
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 4:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for voicing your support, Rave!
 
...
 
Anyway, vis-a-vis this thread, justice has been served... The results for Week 1 are up...  Go check it out!
Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was dragged into this numbskullery yet again this week. The result of this most recent excursion into inanity is, thankfully, the refinement of yet another (logical) reason why this cannot really even be entertained, at least not without a consideration of the steep cost at which it would come. Any kind of allowance for multiple submissions of lineups within a week is directly at odds with cascading lineups. Think it through logically! (Oh, let me list my Thursday night players fourth in my lineup... See the problem vis-a-vis cascading? I mean, some elaborate system could perhaps be developed so as to get around this, BUT...) It's rife with (administrative and just generally confusing) clusterfucks. Use your noggin and not just your wronged heart here. The only smooth instantiation is one or the other, cascading lineups or multiple lineup submissions (on weeks with Thursday games). This really is a mutually exclusive proposition, one that I hope we can finally put to rest. In any event, I ain't entertaining it unless you guys are ready for an increase in the league fee of about four times (because of all of the administrative headaches that would come with it). Bottom line, this issue is not nearly as simple as it seems to the simpleton who is feeling oh, so wronged by it on a given random week.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2010, 1:34pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
*****
# 5





   
View Profile

Posts: 3121

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 14th, 2010, 12:32pm, StegRock wrote:
I was dragged into this numbskullery yet again this week. The result of this most recent excursion into inanity is, thankfully, the refinement of yet another (logical) reason why this cannot really even be entertained, at least not without a consideration of the steep cost at which it would come. Any kind of allowance for multiple submissions of lineups within a week is directly at odds with cascading lineups. Think it through logically! (Oh, let me list my Thursday night players fourth in my lineup... See the problem vis-a-vis cascading? I mean, some elaborate system could perhaps be developed so as to get around this, BUT...) It's rife with (administrative and just generally confusing) clusterfucks. Use your noggin and not just your wronged heart here. The only smooth instantiation is one or the other, cascading lineups or multiple lineup submissions (on weeks with Thursday games). This really is a mutually exclusive proposition, one that I hope we can finally put to rest. In any event, I ain't entertaining it unless you guys are ready for an increase in the league fee of about four times (because of the all of the administrative headaches that would come with it). Bottom line, this issue is not nearly as simple as it seems to the simpleton who is feeling oh, so wronged by it on a given random week.

 
 
I am not sure why we would change the rule and HOW you got dragged into it again.  Cascading line ups are GREAT!~!~!!
Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

*****




I love ''the Gridiron''!

   
View Profile WWW Email

Posts: 18978

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 11:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just to update... Yet again, as it turns out, this didn't even matter, and the owner who dredged this back up actually benefited from the cascading rule,... though not with a victory. ...
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2010, 11:14pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
*****
# 5





   
View Profile

Posts: 3121

Back to top

Re: A Must Rule Change
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Mark cascaded to his 5th RB this week. Isaac Redman got him 26 yards rushing AND a receiving TD. Gotta love the cascade effect.
 
(maybe the stats above will help Mark win his OTHER game this week )
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:11am by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.