In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 24th, 2017, 4:28am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2011 Summer Meeting & Draft
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft  (Read 3295 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 4:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 18th, 2011, 9:11am, DB wrote:
However, I am interested in knowing what is up with the draft? I am in Ocean County anyway that weekend, so I'm around. Steg? You coming to NJ? ... Frank? Pak? Trout?

Alright, on to 2011's GBRFL Summer Meeting and Draft... on the fly. To recap, it is scheduled for Sunday, August 28th and cuts are, therefore, due at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 21st. As for me, no, unfortunately, as it has turned out, I will not be able to attend this year. We will have the free conference call service that I will set up for the Draft Lottery, which will be sometime during the evening of Monday, August 22nd, and, of course, we have our trusty message board on "the Gridiron" here. And, if there is a get-together, I surely wouldn't mind being "Skyped" or "Yahoo! Messengered" in. So, in any case, setting up the meeting is on you guys this year. Whatever we end up doing, let's plan to start up around noon or one o'clock (EST). I will just add this... I do not know how often Frank, Rob and Trout drop by here. My suggestion, you may want to get an e-mail out to those guys and/or hit the horn so as to get things moving along. I will be getting on the awards/plaques in due course here. Don't know, though, if having them by the 28th is going to be possible at this point. I will get that ball rolling soon.

Quote:
When do you get the results?

As for the prelim exam, I think I did well. We will not find out the results for a MONTH or two, though, which kind of sucks (I thought it would be more like a week or two). Thing is, as most people (in various disciplines) who have gone through this process would tell you, very few people fail. There may not be very many "high passes", but pretty much everybody passes... as long as a) they did not have their heads up their asses during the courses they took and b) they made a reasonably good effort studying (something like an average of four to five hours a day for a couple months or so) leading up to the exam. On both of those scores, I did my due diligence. Indeed, for a doctoral student (making it to the preliminary/qualifying stage) neither of those should (presumably) be an issue because at this level you are studying the stuff you are because you (presumably) love it. So, the point being, it is not that the exam is not terrifyingly difficult.  IT IS (WAS)! It is just that most all takers are (presumably) prepared (due to both their own effort and the department's). The only caveat for me was as I wrote to Stevo up on "the Sidelines" in response to his wishing me good luck and saying that he thought that I will be just fine...

on Aug 11th, 2011, 2:57pm, StegRock wrote:
I think so, too... But, remember I specialize in all the non-traditional stuff, Eastern thought, and, even on the Western side of the ball, I mainly do Wojtyla. NONE of this will be on the exam... That stuff is just a side dish to the History of Western Philosophy that we have to know. This is the predicament a person with interests like mine, who wants to study the material in the light of Philosophy and not Religious Studies, has to endure. Indeed, most professors in Philosophy Departments who do the Eastern stuff do not have their higher degrees, their Ph.D.'s at least, in Philosophy. They typically have their degrees in Religious Studies or Asian Studies or something like that. To wit, my guy, Dr. Berger here at SIU has his Ph.D. in Religious Studies, and remember that I too wound up in a "Philosophy and Religion" program for a year of my graduate school career. Anyway, bottom line, if you want to do the Eastern stuff or a "seemingly" more theological figure like Wojtyla in a Philosophy Department, you have to know that that is a side dish and you still have to know all the regular Philosophy stuff.

Bottom line, though, the feel I have is that I did well!
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2011, 2:48pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 7:15pm »

(Let me move this to its rightful place...)

on Aug 19th, 2011, 5:24pm, Pakman wrote:
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the draft in person this year.

I will be available via phone and hopefully the internet.

My dad suffered a stroke and I will be with him in the rehab center that day.

Pak, all the best, my friend! I hope he recovers swiftly and like new. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you guys. "See" you on the 28th!
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2011, 7:16pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 22nd, 2011, 2:01am »

I just e-mailed you all with the info on our free conference call account.  Start time for the Draft Lottery tomorrow (Monday, that is) is 7:30 p.m. (EST).  See yous then!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:32pm »

During the Draft Lottery tonight, a very modest request was made to have the Draft start at 2:00 (EST) instead of 1:00.  As we are really just going to be drafting this year and I anticipate things' moving fairly quickly (as in the whole event's not taking more than three hours), I do not see a problem granting this request.  Indeed, it gives us all an extra hour to prep.  So, barring any serious rebuts, I am calling the Summer Meeting & Draft to be on Sunday, August 28th at 2:00 p.m. (EST).  It will be administered via conference call AND on-line here on our GBRFL board on "the Gridiron".  Actually, as was also discussed tonight, it would really be ideal if everybody could be at a computer.  That way everybody can just input his own pick.  Indeed, the whole draft could really just be administered on the board.  That actually would be the most efficient way to go about it, and that is the direction I think we should go in, with the conference call as just a sort of amenity for us to play around on.  But, whatever, it will work itself out how it works itself out...  See yous on Sunday!
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Aug 23rd, 2011, 9:15am »

Where are the lottery results?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Aug 23rd, 2011, 5:41pm »

Oops, sorry about that...  I forgot that some of you weren't there...

First through fifth are as follows (without factoring in trades): Joe, Mark, Trout, Travis, Frank.  In other words, only Mark (8th place) and Trout (9th place) flipped, and, yes, Mark has the first two picks of the draft.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 6:54pm »

Heyas, fellas, it looks like Hurricane Irene is going to be hitting the northeast, where most of you are located, right smack-dab and all day on Sunday.  In a way, this could be good because it will make it a good indoor day for you guys.  On the other hand, could we be faced with any power outages?  How concerned are we?  Should we have a Plan B?  And, if so, what kind of Plan B, one where we just proceed as planned and adjust on the fly, or do we consider changing the date now?  All yous guys, let me know what you think...
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 7:28pm »

We're VERY concerned. I rather plan out a different day than have to stop in the middle. But we can make that decision as we get closer.

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 8:26pm »

on Aug 25th, 2011, 7:28pm, Art Vandalay wrote:
We're VERY concerned. I rather plan out a different day than have to stop in the middle. But we can make that decision as we get closer.

Very concerned in VA too.   Our plans to go to the outer banks in NC got screwed since it is the bullseye!!!!

Power outages a concern here too as major wind and rain is expected in the DC area.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 11:42pm »

I agree with Frank. Let's stay up to date on here and see how it goes. The storm has many different directions that it can go now.  

More coming soon.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 1:01am »

Draft won't happen that day, you guys are fucked. I think there needs to be a plan b which will be the draft day. I know everyone likes to do an entire day and whatn not but I would rather pick one night during the week and do a conference call and bang it out. Put on weather channel, no way it's happening over the weekend!
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 9:07am »

I agree.  We can shoot for Sunday, but let's establish a plan b.  Any night next week is ok for me if we start after 8 pm.
FLESH
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 66

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 9:19am »

I agree. Any best case scenario with the storm track has 85-100 winds atleast 100 miles inland up the coast. Honestly think that is a potential nightmare situation for a long power outage. I'm certainly in favor of any proposed change at this point. I pray for the safety of all of you guys and your families. Stay safe.
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 12:39pm »

Thoughts and prayers from Colorado as well...you guys all be safe this weekend.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 10:58pm »

I know our weather guru made this very definitive and very thoughtful and compassionate proclamation to which I know we ALL assent without question,...

on Aug 26th, 2011, 1:01am, IbdFunk wrote:
Draft won't happen that day, you guys are fucked. ... Put on weather channel, no way it's happening over the weekend!

... which was accompanied by these words of sheer wisdom...

on Aug 26th, 2011, 1:01am, IbdFunk wrote:
I think there needs to be a plan b which will be the draft day.

... to which I safely think I speak for everybody when I say... ...

I think some words more in the ballpark of wisdom got lost in the good will and frenzy of anticipation here...

on Aug 25th, 2011, 6:54pm, StegRock wrote:
In a way, this could be good because it will make it a good indoor day for you guys.

Let me preface, however, that I wish all you guys in VA, NJ and eastern PA the best if Irene hits you all full-force. There is an "if" there, though. I do not want to make light of this, but, indeed, I have watched the forecast go from, last night, category 3 upon landfall in North Carolina/category 2 up towards you guys to, this morning, category 2 upon landfall/category 1 up towards you guys to, now, category 1 upon landfall/tropical depression up towards you guys. Next thing, it will be sun shower upon landfall and piss on Danny's head, that is to say, a golden shower by the time it gets up to you guys (I am joking; please don't get your panties all in a ruffle here). Secondly, upon a little reflection, save for your roof being blown off, your windows being blown out or your house being flooded, a power outage is not an insurmountable obstacle. Indeed, cell phones will likely still work, and, moreover, even during power outages, lan-line phones usually still work. Again, assuming it is not pandemonium in your neighborhood beyond a power outage, what else is there better to do than hang out with a bunch of dudes sharing storm stories and doing a fantasy football draft? In a way, unless it does hit full-force and knock you guys for a total loop (knock on wood), if it is just a hardy storm, this can actually be looked upon as sort of a good thing (aside from Stevo's vacation getting jacked up), a reason to stay inside.

Bottom line, we ain't commencing the Draft unless/until EVERYBODY is present (on the conference call or on-line), and even then the first order of business will be to get the thoughts of those in Irene's path as to what their respective weather is like and how comfortable they feel proceeding with the Draft. If there is genuine concern at 2 o' clock on Sunday afternoon, voice it and we will figure things out at that time. If someone is missing, again, we will figure things out at that time. Probably the most efficient way for us to go about adjusting is via that conference call on Sunday, that is, "if" we even need to.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011, 12:18am by Stegfucius » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #40 on: Aug 27th, 2011, 2:37am »

That sounds great to me.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Aug 27th, 2011, 10:36pm »

Do you guys on the east coast have any weather updates for us?  How are we looking?  Are yous thinking the Draft is a go for Sunday afternoon?
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #42 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 12:14am »

Looking really good in Va. Storm seems to be a lot of rain, but not that high of winds.

Update:  7:15am   Looking good.  Still have power.   Internet is really slow.   Hope all is well up north.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2011, 7:18am by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #43 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 9:26am »

Ok here.  Still lots of rain but have power.
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 11:17am »

I am up and running here as well.

What is the phone number for the conference call?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 11:31am »

on Aug 28th, 2011, 11:17am, Pakman wrote:
What is the phone number for the conference call?

I will be resending the conference-call number to everyone by e-mail.  I also would really appreciate it if people could be behind their computers and able to input their own picks...
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #46 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 11:39am »

Good here on the shore. Alot of cleanup to do but didn't lose power or drown. Good to go for 2.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2011, 11:40am by Art Vandalay » Logged

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #47 on: Aug 28th, 2011, 12:23pm »

Heyas...  I know Steve resent the conference call info along with the up-to-the-moment draft grid.  However, unbeknownst to that, I also resent the conference call info.  I also included SOMETHING ELSE.  So, PLEASE, even if you already consulted Warner's e-mail, LOOK AT MINE!  In very short, it deals with this: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=386959.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.