In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 25th, 2017, 4:22am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call  (Read 5423 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
« on: Jul 11th, 2012, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heyas, All! Holy Moly, it is July 11th, and we have not even broached the issue of the GBRFL Draft & Meeting! YIKES! For my part, while things really were looking to be settling down for the first time since our move back to Hawaii, around the time when I sent that CBFL invite e-mail out and was really feeling good about things being increasingly calmer moving forward, we incurred a setback that, well, set things back. I was in a car accident. Indeed, the "FantasyFootballer.com" mobile is no more. That said, as far as automobile accidents go that (technically) total your vehicle, this could not have gone better. I will not bore you with the details here. If we talk and you are curious, I will fill you in. The bottom line is that nobody was hurt (I was alone; the girls were not with me), and the biggest cost, in a sense, was time, peace of mind and further unnecessary hecticness. We (as of yesterday, in fact) are on the other side of it all now, and things are onward and upward yet again.

SO, the GBRFL Draft & Meeting... I will not be back in NJ this summer, and, given how late in the going we are here at this point, I am guessing a "meeting" is highly unlikely. That said, if you guys back there want to put together a gathering, by all means go for it! But, one way or another, we are looking at a conference-call and on-line administration of the draft this year.

With that said, most importantly we need to hammer out a date! First, the season starts (oddly) on Wednesday, September 5th. Also, I already know of one date that will NOT work for one of our owners, Saturday, August 11th. As far as I am concerned, we could go as late as Labor Day weekend, September 1st or 2nd, or we could go as soon as, well, we can get our act together here. So, let's commence discussion...

There is one more important matter I must bring up. Things have been quiet, for sure, and you all are probably busy as hell and perhaps even being considerate of me and the ridiculously hectic existence my family has lived through over the past nine or so months (really, this was the most challenging transition of them all, hands down), but it has been particularly... I have heard from very few of you, and I am having a hard time getting through to some.

As such, I want to take roll call. So, please, no matter what, take a minute to reply to this thread, letting me know that you are in or, on the other hand, if you are bowing out (you could private-message me if that were the case). I am not expecting the latter, but I say this this bluntly because we really are working with a limited amount of time. I do have guys (friends) in the queue wanting in, but I would have to let the person know very soon so that he could adjust his life and get up to speed! It is already short notice!

Also, along these lines, one person I am particularly concerned about is Frank. His e-mail address does not work, and I have called numerous times and left a couple messages, all to no avail. One thing, I only have his home phone number. I know he has a cell phone, but I cannot find that number for the life of me. Does anybody have it and could pass it along to me?

Otherwise, "Frank, are you out there???"

Alright, guys, please do your due diligence here. Sign in, or let me know what's up! Outline dates for the Draft that are good and not good for you...

Out,
Steg <-(Well, here and almost in that frame of mind.)
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2012, 10:31pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: 2012 Summer Meeting, Draft & Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2012, 11:13pm »

I am in and looking forward to another year.    In regards to a date, I need to speak to the boss.  Will respond by this weekend.

Most importantly, glad to hear you are ok and no one got hurt.  I have had more than my fair share of accidents.......

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 12:04am »

I am the fucking champion, of course I'm in! Dates, later the better?
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 8:04am »

All is good from my end - I'm in NC for the remainder of the week on vacation but will be back in CO on Monday.  

Feder sucks.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 9:59am »

I am in, but will be on vacation from 8/18 through 8/27 and will not  be available via phone during that time.

Therefore, either the weekend before or the weekend after should be fine.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 4:42pm »

on Jul 12th, 2012, 9:59am, Pakman wrote:
I am in, but will be on vacation from 8/18 through 8/27 and will not be available via phone during that time.

Therefore, either the weekend before or the weekend after should be fine.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12th, 2012, 9:42pm »

You know I am in.  The sooner we set a date the better.

I heard that Frank is in London playing pool basketball, which is now an Olympic sport.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13th, 2012, 2:35am »

I'm in.  Any date other than the 11th works for me.  I prefer before August 19th, but just let me know.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 12:41am »

I'm in.  
August 25th is not good for me.  Other than that I'm open.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2012, 12:43am by DOLFAN » Logged

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 7:11pm »

The situation with Frank remains a cliffhanger, but I have spoken with Trout, and from what he said and what I am gathering reading through the replies here is that the long-bandied-about idea of doing the draft sometime over Labor Day Weekend is a real possibility here this year, indeed, one of the few possibilities (given Pak's knocking out two weekends there in the prime draft time of mid/late August).

I, for one, am VERY game for doing it around Labor Day.  Here are my further thoughts on the matter.  Since any kind of centralized gathering is extremely highly unlikely this year and since preseason games that weekend are next to meaningless and conclude on Saturday in any case, we could just do a totally ON-LINE administration of the draft right here on "the Gridiron" like we have done in the past for the CBFL.  Since the draft would be conducted totally on-line, it then would not have to be done in one sitting; indeed, it could run throughout the weekend.  To me that sounds like a blast!  We could set the start time, say, sometime the evening/night of Thursday, August 30th or Friday, August 31st or whenever and let it run for the weekend through Monday, September 3rd.  We would adopt drafting rules similar to the ones I have set up for the CBFL, of course with some tweaks to ensure completion of the draft by Monday night.  I think this is very doable, and, in fact, with my wanting to start infusing some life back into this place and commence the slow, but sure comeback of "the Gridiron", this would be a fantastic year to give this a whirl!  And, mind yous, we have the chatroom here for instant communication, and I will still set up the conference call for the Draft's opening "ceremonies", which will also remain available to us throughout the draft if we have to call a quick meeting or something.

So, whatchyas think???  As for me, count me IN on the 2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza!!!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 7:26pm »

This would work for me.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 8:17pm »

Joe, the picture of your wife with the beer , can you have her take her shirt off? I have been looking at this same picture forever, have her lift her shirt up some more!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 9:00pm »

on Jul 16th, 2012, 8:17pm, IbdFunk wrote:
Joe, the picture of your wife with the beer , can you have her take her shirt off? I have been looking at this same picture forever, have her lift her shirt up some more!

Ha, ha...  Actually, it is Angelina Jolie.  Joe has explained this before.

ANY-way,... how about getting back to the IMPORTANT topic of discussion and task at hand here?  Are you good to go for an on-line draft Labor Day weekend, per my post above???
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 9:38pm »

I believe the on-line draft weekend should be doable for me - count me in!

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 11:10pm »

What is exact date of labor day?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 2:14am »

on Jul 16th, 2012, 11:10pm, IbdFunk wrote:
What is exact date of labor day?

Labor Day is Monday, September 3rd.  We could begin as early as the evening of Thursday, August 30th.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 2:16am »

on Jul 15th, 2012, 7:26pm, DOLFAN wrote:
This would work for me.

on Jul 16th, 2012, 9:38pm, Drew Rosenhaus wrote:
I believe the on-line draft weekend should be doable for me - count me in!

Well, that makes three of us in on the 2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza!
Pakman
Head Coach
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 11:07am »

How would this work if we started on Thursday?
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 12:15pm »

Fine with me.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 12:35pm »

This is fine with me.  I can take EITHER Sat or Sun at this point.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 5:06pm »

on Jul 17th, 2012, 11:07am, Pakman wrote:
How would this work if we started on Thursday?

Well, we would just schedule the commencement conference call for that evening/night.  We would discuss what we need to discuss and be by our internet-accessible computers; I would then unlock the draft thread here on our message board and let the picking begin.  People would make their picks according to rules similar-ish to the ones we have used for the CBFL with the end set for Labor Day Monday night.

Since you ask about a Thursday start specifically, I will add this...  I am currently on the schedule for a (Tuesday/)Thursday late afternoon/evening class, so Thursday is probably not going to work for me.  I am thinking a Friday start or, thinking outside the box (with the NFL season itself starting oddly on a Wednesday), a Wednesday, August 29th start.

Anyway, let's keep this convo rolling, fellas...  I am liking hearing the openness to the Labor Day Weekend alternative!
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 10:56pm »

Thursday nights are no good for me but I'm flexible other nights. Can someone explain to me what we are thinking for a weekend draft online? How would this work?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 12:04am »

on Jul 17th, 2012, 10:56pm, IbdFunk wrote:
Can someone explain to me what we are thinking for a weekend draft online? How would this work?

The very short of it, Danny, because I know you are not going to read a longer detailed response (and I have not figured it all out yet, anyway), is that everybody will make their picks by posting to a thread dedicated to making picks (not all too dissimilar to what we have done in recent years when we have conducted a regular draft; see here: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=53;a ction=display;num=1314544249).  Everybody will be on a two-or-three-hour clock when their pick comes up.  In other words, when the person before you picks, you will have two to three hours to make your pick and so on.  The clock will be shut off during wee hours.  The only thing is, with me back in Hawaii there is a six-hour time differential we have to deal with.  So, I have some figuring out I am going to have to do regarding the specifics of the clock and the shut-down times.  But, anyway, that is generally how it will work.  Got it?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 5:15pm »

Guys, we are going... here again, and ten more days have now passed us by. Of those who have chimed in, I am taking it that, besides myself, the 2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza works for Joe, Mark, DB, Warner and Trout (whom I have spoken with... ), which makes six of us, that is to say, a majority. The only (weekend) dates that are even hypothetically possible are all very early: July 28th/29th, August 4th (5th is no good for me) and 12th, and, based on responses, THAT'S IT!!! Save perhaps for the 12th, all of those days are a) earlier than we all would probably like and b) somewhat too soon at this point and going to make for a messy rushed-up affair.

Labor Day weekend is almost our only and really our best option. As such, I would like to make this "official" and start moving forward with hammering out the specifics, such as the exact start date and time, the cut-down date (which is typically one week before) and posting a protections-list thread here, and the Draft Lottery (which is typically the Monday night before the Draft). So, can I get you guys to circle the wagons here, confirm or state your ratification of the "2012 GBRFL Labor Day Weekend On-line Draft Extravaganza" plan or present problems you have with it, and make suggestions regarding the start date (maybe not the specific start time because that is something with respect to which I am going to have to do some figuring out given the time difference; suffice it to say, it is going to be evening/night for you all, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 o' clock)???

Thoughts...???!!! ...

For those of you wondering, I still have not gotten through to Frank. Assuming he is in, he is just going to have to go with the flow at this point. Time is waning, and soon, within the blink of any eye, we are not going to have any choice but Labor Day weekend.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:54pm by Stegfucius » Logged
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 7:13pm »

I asked what exactly is a online labor day draft, how does that work? Just make picks online? No phone conference?
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.