In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 10:41pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron League Issues: Defense & Plaques

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   League Issues: Defense & Plaques
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: League Issues: Defense & Plaques  (Read 2948 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: League Issues: Defense & Plaques
« Reply #25 on: Jan 4th, 2014, 4:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 4th, 2014, 11:45am, DB wrote:
Are we still talking about the issue of adding another defense?

Ab-solutely! Indeed, now we are really talking about it! And, we do not have much farther to go...

Yes.

So, we can strike the second sentence from your earlier post as being off-point.

on Jan 3rd, 2014, 11:43am, DB wrote:
Retrospectively, we know by looking at the statistics. Prospectively, we can only predict how a player or defense will perform.

And, just to confirm, we cannot know the future, right?
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15
# 22

7X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 7:06am »

No I do not agree with that.  What you said is correct, that we cannot definitely know the future and what I said is correct, that we can make predictions.

I really don't mind adding an extra D if you think it would minimize the luck factor.  That is fine with me whether it is done administratively or by a vote.  However, once again, I think our system is fine the way it is.  Again, I attribute the fact that my defenses were bad to my own inability to predict rather than a league-wide increase in the unpredictability of defenses.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 4:47pm »

Either way, I think scoring should be slightly reduced for defenses.....

I DIGRESS...
    Did anyone see my kicker scoring suggestion?

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 6:33pm »

So, are we striking this instead, D?

Yes.

And, so, your answer would actually be "No."

Bottom line, with respect to your use of the word "better", which is what was specifically under analysis, one or the other needs to be struck.  Either the aforementioned statement needs to be struck as irrelevant to the analysis at hand OR your answer to the question about, to turn a phrase, "knowing better" cannot be "Yes."

Please understand that I enjoy this kind of pithy Socratic back-and-forth (moreover, because of its pressing logically and linguistically revelatory importance in our times, but I digress).

I know where I stand on this issue with regard to defense, but I also know that it is not at all a firm stance.  I am just feeling my way around here and want to bring clarity to the conversation and avoid a rush to judgment.  'Tis just early January, after all.

on Jan 5th, 2014, 4:47pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
I DIGRESS...
    Did anyone see my kicker scoring suggestion?

I am just trying to keep both this thread and my thoughts organized, so I am trying, at least for my part, to avoid the discussion of too many things at once, moreover, of something as minute as kicking.  That said, I do have responses to what you proposed, and, when I think the time is right, I will surely reply.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 7th, 2014, 7:44pm »

(I am just leaving this one little quoted portion of D's removed post and the portion of my reply relevant to it up as it does speak to the heretofore ongoing discussion.)

on Jan 7th, 2014, 6:00pm, DB wrote:
I said yes assuming that this had to do with retrospective knowledge.

That is precisely what it has to do with... That was my point!

But, anyway, I will, when I have the time, cut to the chase on my ultimate point.  That is going to take some time and effort, though. I was just trying to do this by way of dialectic, that is, a pointed question-and-answer, which can be conducted with shorter posts and evokes precision, and, admittedly, in a quasi-Socratic way, a philosophical motif that I enjoy, but anyway...
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2014, 4:01am by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.