In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 25th, 2021, 5:29pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Eagles In-Season Report

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Co-commissioner Services
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Red Zone
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Back Judge, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Referee, Line Judge, Umpire)
   Eagles In-Season Report
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Eagles In-Season Report  (Read 1493 times)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Eagles In-Season Report
« on: Sep 6th, 2007, 11:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Eagles beat writer Les Bowen has a number of questions about the defense. Unfortunately for Eagles fans, they're all justified. Until we see the defense stop the run, we're afraid that they won't.

Eagles season preview yields more questions than answers
Philadelphia Daily News (9-6-2007)

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Eagles In-Season Report
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 3:48pm »

CB Sheppard injured... according to "The REAL Feed":

Eagles CB Sheppard injured against Packers
SI.com: NFL (09.09.2007 15:19)

Eagles' Sheppard leaves with knee injury
The Sports Network: NFL (09.09.2007 15:34)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 5:26pm »

Jeremy Bloom may not have returned any kicks or punts for TDs in preseason, but he caught everything and made good decisions. Andy Reid cut him anyway and decided to go with Greg Lewis (never returned a punt for the Eagles before today, muffed the first one when he decided to try to catch and return it despite defenders closing on him -- it got batted into the endzone and resulted in the Packers ONLY touchdown). Lewis made the same mistake later on, but managed to hold onto the ball. Then at the end of the game, they had JR Reed (he was a decent returner for the Eagles a couple years ago before suffering a serious injury) try to return a punt. He decided to call a fair catch on a very short punt that he had to weave through traffic to try to get to before coming up about a foot short. Packers recovered and kicked the game-winning field goal with 6 seconds left.

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 5:48pm »

on Sep 9th, 2007, 5:26pm, Philly wrote:
Jeremy Bloom may not have returned any kicks or punts for TDs in preseason, but he caught everything and made good decisions. Andy Reid cut him anyway and decided to go with Greg Lewis (never returned a punt for the Eagles before today, muffed the first one when he decided to try to catch and return it despite defenders closing on him -- it got batted into the endzone and resulted in the Packers ONLY touchdown). Lewis made the same mistake later on, but managed to hold onto the ball. Then at the end of the game, they had JR Reed (he was a decent returner for the Eagles a couple years ago before suffering a serious injury) try to return a punt. He decided to call a fair catch on a very short punt that he had to weave through traffic to try to get to before coming up about a foot short. Packers recovered and kicked the game-winning field goal with 6 seconds left.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

So frustrating!!!  I can not wait to see the cut list on Monday!!  Reed has got to go.  What a retarded decision.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:20am »

If it's any consolation, a sports reporter in Philly (Vai Sikahema, for any who remember him as a player) has reported that the Eagles contacted Reno Mahe. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back this week. Jeremy Bloom must have some skeleton in his closet that we're not aware of (failed drug test???) to have gotten cut and for the Eagles to have no plan B.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 3:45am »

Update on Sheppard... from "The REAL Feed":

SHEPPARD DOUBTFUL FOR REDSKINS
Sporting Life: NFL (11.09.2007 03:13)
Cornerback Lito Sheppard is likely to miss Philadelphia's next game with a sprained MCL.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 7:57am »

Losing Sheppard is a blow for the Eagles who face a decent receiving corps (Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Chris Cooley) next Monday night.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 7:45am »

The Eagles have re-signed Reno Mahe to a one-year contract to return punts (actually, they signed him just to fair-catch the ball ).

JR Reed, the bungler who lost the game for the Eagles in week one, has been given his walking papers.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2007, 8:05pm »

Westbrook dinged up during his big game today, but the early word is that it looks okay.  From "The REAL Feed":

Eagles RB Westbrook bruises ribs, X-rays negative
SI.com: NFL (23.09.2007 19:10)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2007, 3:00pm »

Update on Westbrook... from "The REAL Feed":

Eagles RB Brian Westbrook day to day with abdominal strain
SI.com: NFL (24.09.2007 12:34)

My guess,... he loses no on-the-field time.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:07am »

Let me just apologize right up front. I've been off the mark with the Eagles thus far this year. I'd like to just think that I've been off my game, but sometimes I scratch my head and think, Is it really just me?

We've been all over the other games. Last week they finally get the offense righted, but we see it had SO MUCH more to do with the defense of the Lions. They did NOT press the Eagles receivers (allowing them to get off the line cleanly) and get open. In the Eagles three losses, the CBs have been physical with the receivers at the LOS and they have been unable to get open as a result.

Last night, admittedly, they were playing hurt. There was no reason to think that Westbrook was going to sit out. He hasn't practiced much all season, but has played brilliantly. This week it was an abdominal strain, which probably would have been painful, but isn't a long-term issue and the Eagles have a bye in Week 5. So you play BWB (in a crucial game) and let him rest the next couple weeks. But Reid decides, last minute, to make him inactive.

Then, Tra Thomas is also hurt, so Winston Justice gets his first-ever start at LT in the NFL. He's a second-round draft pick (with an even higher draft grade), so they should be OK. But we see quickly that Justice isn't ready for the NFL, as he doesn't have the footwork to deal with Umenyiora's speed rush, nor does he have the strength to handle Umenyiora's bull rush (despite the fact that Umenyiora is an "undersized" DE). Not the end of the world, though. All the Eagles have to do is make an adjustment and put a FB in the game to help out, or put a TE on the left side. They do neither and continue to leave Justice all alone against a guy he cannot block. They could even slide Todd Herremans out to LT (he played there extensively as a rookie, with some success too, when Thomas was hurt) and put Max-Jean Gilles inside at LG.

I'm starting to think that the Eagles biggest problem is their head coach. He's making bad decisions (cutting his PR/KR at the end of pre-season and having back-up plan other than using two inexperienced returners and a guy who had a career-ending injury--except that the Eagles decided to give him a try anyway). I wonder if the troubles at home (two of his sons running afoul of the law) are interfering with his football decisions.

It's going to be very hard to project for the Eagles at this rate. The coach is making decisions counter to basic common-sense. I will tell you that McNabb will be OK if he gets some blocking. Westbrook, when healthy enough to play, is as good a RB as there is in the league. Reggie Brown is an average receiver who will tease everyone with a big game before long, and then will disappear again. Kevin Curtis needs to be put in motion so he can get a clean release off the line, and then he'll be a very nice fantasy option. Jason Avant and Hank Baskett will have a big game here or there, but not enough to warrant fantasy attention (just enough to annoy owners of Curtis and Brown). LJ Smith is going to have a very quiet season and then leave via free agency in the off-season. Brent Celek will continue to improve and emerge as a bye-week or injury fill-in as the season progresses.

The defense has played quite well. Even last night they only allowed 10 points (although I haven't seen a fantasy scoring system yet that takes pity on a defense when the offense gives up a TD via turnover). They are also playing short-handed as their starting CB (Lito Sheppard) and FS (Brian Dawkins) are injured, but they've been able to manage without them.

Maybe things will be clearer after the bye in week 5, but I doubt it.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:22am »

The Eagles made the Giants defense look like a Super Bowl quality defense. 12 sacks?!?! WTF?

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 2:14pm »

on Oct 1st, 2007, 10:22am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
The Eagles made the Giants defense look like a Super Bowl quality defense. 12 sacks?!?! WTF?

And to think I was excited when Winston Justice slipped through the first round and fell to the Eagles in the second!  
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 8:18am »

Andy Reid stepping aside? It's pure rumor at this point, but it's out there...

from ProFootballTalk.com, via Phillymag.com
Quote:
MORE ON THE REID RUMORS

Our pal A.J. Daulerio of PhillyMag.com has some details as to the rampant rumors that Eagles coach Andy Reid might pack it in with the team after eight-plus years on the job.

Here's what Daulerio has to say:  "It's been a constant rumor all year, but after Sunday night's loss to the Giants, sources close to Andy Reid and the team say there's a strong possibility Reid may get off the sidelines sooner than expected.  All year, Reid's family troubles have been taking a noticeable toll, and many of his players are biding their time until Big Red makes an announcement.  With Marty Mornhinweg already assuming much of the offense, Reid's a lame-duck coach at this point, just poking around on the sidelines to keep his mind off of his woes.  The likely scenario is inserting Mornhinweg in the coach's seat so Reid can ride out the rest of his contract as Executive Vice President of Football Operations, leaving him more time with his fractured family."

Daulerio's article suggests that the move could come as soon as this week, since the Eagles are on a Week Five bye.

Though we haven't heard that anything immediate could happen, the pervasive talk in league circles is that Reid's return for 2008 is, at best, a toss-up.

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 9:54pm »

Brian Westbrook practiced today, albeit in some pain.  
LJ Smith also participated.  
William 'Tra' Thomas warmed up, but did not practice.
Todd Herremans (knee was scoped) did not participate.
Lito Sheppard did not participate.
Brian Dawkins did not participate.

Otherwise, everything looks great!  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 5:16pm »

What a yucky sitch...  I don't know if I "feel Reid" on "The REAL Feed" ():

Reid says he'll stay as Eagles coach despite judge's criticism
SI.com: NFL (02.11.2007 19:25)

Any thoughts on this,... Jeff,... anyone???
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24th, 2007, 4:33am »

McNabb may be a no-go this Sunday.  It probably doesn't matter against the Patriots.  From "The REAL Feed":

With McNabb injured, Eagles could throw Feeley against unbeaten Patriots
SI.com: NFL (23.11.2007 17:52)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 25th, 2007, 4:01am »

McNabb out... according to "The REAL Feed":

McNabb out for Pats game
The Sports Network: NFL (24.11.2007 13:34)
steelkings

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25th, 2007, 8:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Which brings back this oldie but goodie

Jeff West Was The Only One Left In Philly Who Could Read Donavan McNabb's latest list of Injuries to The media With A Straight Face......Well Almost
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 10:41am »

Andy Reid indicated that he wouldn't use Donovan unless he was 100%. He hasn't been 100% all season, so the latest injuries on top of the previous rehab should guarantee another week of work for AJ Feeley.

You might want to consider him as a decent start this coming week. He probably won't throw for 300+ again and he'll continue to make mistakes, but he's better than some of the alternatives.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 5:42pm »

McNabb update... from "The REAL Feed":

McNabb?
CBS SportsLine.com NFL News (29.11.2007 17:16)
Donovan McNabb didn't practice Thursday, and the quarterback's availability for the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend against the NFC West-leading Seattle Seahawks is still in doubt.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:06am »

Since we're entering the home stretch of the NFL regular season, I thought I'd offer a State of the Eagles Address.

Team:
What they WILL do: Since the Eagles are still only one game out of the second Wild Card spot, they'll insist that this season is worth playing for. Their remaining games are against the Giants, Cowboys, Saints, and Bills. It's reasonable to assume that they'll lose to their division rivals and beat the Bills, with the Saints being a bit of a toss-up at this point. They'll finish either 7-9 or 6-10.
What they SHOULD do: Start giving some of the younger guys some experience and start laying the foundation for next year and beyond.

Coaching Staff:
What they WILL do: Status quo will be the marching orders.
What they SHOULD do: Ask Andy Reid to step down as coach and become the VP of Football Operations immediately. In the interim, let John Harbaugh become head coach for the final four games of the season to see how he reacts. Reevaluate the coaching staff following the season.

Quarterback:
What they WILL do: A.J. Feeley has thrown 7 picks in his two starts which means that Donovan McNabb (who looked pretty healthy on the sidelines yesterday) will return as the Eagles starter against the Giants this coming Sunday. A.J. Feeley will return to his #2 role and Kevin Kolb will continue to tote the clipboard.
What they SHOULD do: They should name Kevin Kolb the starter now. The season is done and returning Donovan McNabb to the field does nothing but risk further injury, subsequently lowering his trade value. A.J. Feeley can remain as the backup, as he is serviceable in that role.

Running Backs:
What they WILL do: Use Brian Westbrook in the same inconsistent manner they have thus far.
What they SHOULD do: Call more running plays and spell BWB with C-Buck and Tony Hunt some more. See if there is any trade value for C-Buck in the off-season.

Wideouts:
What they WILL do: Who knows?
What they SHOULD do: Keep working the younger guys into the lineup (Jason Avant, Hank Baskett, Reggie Brown) and draft/sign a true number one guy in the off-season. Say farewell to Greg Lewis who, ironically, seems ONLY to be able to perform against the Pats.

Tight Ends:
What they WILL do: Continue to feature LJ Smith, and throw one pass a game to either Celek or Schobel.
What they SHOULD do: Start getting Celek more PT. Let him gain experience and take advantage of his great hands as a receiver. Put Schobel on special teams or waivers.

Offensive Line:
What they WILL do: Keep trotting out the Thomas-Herremans-Jackson-Andrews-Runyan line they've been using.
What they SHOULD do: Start rotating Winston Justice, Max-Jean Gilles, and Scott Young into the lineup. (Just wait until after the Giant game to give Justice any time.)

Defensive Line:
What they WILL do: They've actually been doing a pretty good job of recognizing the strengths/weaknesses of the line and trying new things.
What they SHOULD do: Keep using Patterson/Bunkley as starting DTs, while rotating in Ramsey. At DE, it's clear that Trent Cole just can't stand up to a full season as he disappears in the second half. Juqua Thomas seems to come on more in the second half. Victor Abiamiri needs more playing time and Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard (and their huge salaries) need to go.

Linebackers:
What they WILL do: Ride the combo of Gocong-Gaither-Spikes the rest of the season.
What they SHOULD do: Experiment more with Gocong as a situational pass-rusher and give Stewart Bradley some playing time. Move Spikes to the middle once in a while and let Akeem Jordan get some PT as the WLB.

Defensive Nacks:
What they WILL do: Run the standard Sheppard-Brown-James combo at CB and Dawkins-Reed at safety.
What they SHOULD do: Get rid of Joselio Hanson. Start giving Nick Graham and Marcus Paschal more time to develop. Give Sheldon Brown a few snaps at SS here and there, to see if it's a position he'll be able to transition to.

In summary, this is a team whose 2007 season is essentially over, regardless of what the standings say. It's important to give the younger guys some playing time now in order to evaluate them and determine if they provide any worthwhile depth (or potential future as starters) for this team. If they don't, then let that help direct your draft strategy.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 3:44pm »

Nice insight Philly!!

I definitely agree that they need to get Kolb some time in the game.  Feely has proved he is a back up QB.    

I am not so sure about getting a back up TE some time.  I don't think getting Celek more time.    

And I totally agree that Reid has got to go....but I would just make a clean break at the end of the year.

And finally, amen to the fact the Eagles have GOT to get a true #1 WR.  Problem is, there is not much out there in Free Agency.  I BELIEVE Randy Moss is a free agent.   After him, you are looking at Bernard Berrian, Bryant Johnson, Andre Davis, Patrick Crayton, etc.  None of those say too much.  Better hope someone becomes a salary cap issue......

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 8:37am »

I'm a big fan of Celek and I doubt LJ Smith will be wearing midnight green next season, so I'd prefer to see Celek out there. He's a quality receiver, but he needs to work on his in-line blocking. While spending time in the weight room is the best way to remedy that, experience against NFL pass-rushers is very important as well.

At WR, there are a few free agents I'd like to see them make a run at. We can forget about Randy Moss... he's not coming to Philly. If he's smart, he'll sign a reasonable deal to stay with New England. For the Eagles, I'd be interested in DJ Hackett, Patrick Crayton, and/or Bernard Berrian.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:43am »

Well... it seems like the Eagles will be continuing with the status quo. Andy Reid has no intentions of resigning or reducing his responsibilities, and the Eagles ownership won't ask him to leave or change positions, so he's back in the same capacity as the past year.

Donovan McNabb, long-rumored to be a trade possibility to Chicago or Minnesota, is probably sticking around for 2008. The Eagles will certainly listen to offers for him, but they'll want a lot more than anyone is willing to offer (read: multiple first round picks). I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles went with McNabb-Feeley-Kolb again next season.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2018 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.