In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 2:05pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Experts Getting it Wrong No. 4: T. Tebow

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Red Zone
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Back Judge, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Referee, Line Judge, Umpire)
   Experts Getting it Wrong No. 4: T. Tebow
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 4: T. Tebow  (Read 1798 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« on: Dec 21st, 2014, 9:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Seriously, especially with what is looking to be a fairly mediocre 2015 quarterback class (even at the top with Mariota playing in a college spread offense and Winston with serious maturity and leadership issues), Tim Tebow would be an upgrade for a number of teams heading into this offseason, including but not limited to the following (in no particular order): Jets (the irony), Browns (Manziel's ball really looks like it has NO zip), Redskins (if they give up on RGIII), Bears (Cutler just does not have "it"), Buccaneers (needless to say), Rams (Bradford is a HUGE question mark heading into 2015), and perhaps also, the Bills (Orton, really?), Titans (Tebow would be a great fit for that fan base), Texans (Savage is an unknown) and 49ers (Kaep is really not that good).

Tebow could easily be installed as a Russell Wilson-type QB.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2015, 10:05pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Attn: Dynasty & Deep Keeper Leaguers - Tebow
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:10am »

Well, A LOT has happened since I made the previous post...

Is Charley Casserly a worthy pundit? If so, you think Chip Kelly saw this old interview...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000127542/Woul d-Tebow-be-a-good-fit-for-the-Eagles.

Two years ago Casserly pegged Tebow as a great fit for Kelly's Eagles!
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:11am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2015, 10:03pm »

(This "Experts Getting it Wrong" column is being done differently than the rest, that is, as a reply to this thread I randomly started back in December because we do not need two Tebow threads similar in spirit topping "the Red Zone".)

The production of fantasy football rankings for the 2015 season is in full swing.  There are rankings of the Top 60 or 70 quarterbacks, Top 200 to 300 overall QB's, RB's, WR's and TE's, and whole magazines with Eagles team previews where you cannot even find the name QB Tim Tebow.  It is as if he does not exist, and that is ridiculous.  Bottom line, if he makes the team, he WILL get on the field, and, if he gets on the field, he WILL be fantasy-relevant!  Only if he falls totally flat on his face during the preseason will he not make the team, which I would bet against happening.  He looked better in his first OTA's with the Eagles than QB Mark Sanchez did a year ago or QB Matt Barkley has in two prior offseasons, and Tebow has been out of football for two years.

Presumed starting QB Sam Bradford is not at all a lock to be ready for the start of the season.  Meanwhile, Tebow has the second strongest arm on the team, is far-and-away the best runner, rarely turns the ball over and knows how to run the read-option, and, if head coach Chip Kelly could have his way, he would really like to run a full-blown read-option, where ball accuracy and timing are important, but also, moreover, a strong arm, running ability, ball protection and experience and success running the read-option are key.  Sanchez, Barkley and a hobbled Bradford are not good fits for the read-option.  Tebow is!  It has already been hypothesized that, while Sanchez would serve as Bradford's "starting" backup, Sanchez would not be on the active roster for games.  Rather, Tebow, who brings so much more and something different to the table, would be active for games and serve as Bradford's in-game backup.

At the very least, Tebow, who has recently been touted as a quarterback and "offensive weapon", is going to enter games and run some read-option, maybe even to the tune of two to four series a game, which comes with the added benefit of keeping Bradford off the gurney.  In fact, he may become a regular in the red zone, on fourth down, on third and short, in blowouts, and on two-point conversions.  Heck, in a 2-QB or scoring-only format, it might be worth fielding the gadget OW/QB Tebow over a low-end starting QB, and, in a dynasty or deep-keeper format or as a handcuff to Bradford, Tebow is definitely worth rostering at the back end.  And, if, just if, he somehow ends up becoming the starter, he then catapults in fantasy relevance and value, and that is not that far-fetched of a scenario given Bradford's history of injuries and Sanchez's and Barkley's history of play.  

Of course, Tebow still has to make the team, and that is the risk you run.  But, his upside for fantasy purposes is so much greater than that of the other stiffs you are looking at late in your draft.  All in all, at this point Tebow is easily a Top 300 player in all formats, and a Top 200 or maybe even Top 150 player in 2-QB, scoring-only and dynasty formats, and the absence of his name demonstrates the ignorance of these publications!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 4: T. Tebow
« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2015, 7:29pm »

Latest headlines on Tebow VERY positive...

Chip Kelly: Tim Tebow has skills other quarterbacks don't have

And, highest grade on the day...

Report card for Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow from Eagles' training camp

I am telling yas...  Get this guy on your team!  You WILL feel good about it! Be a part of this feel GREAT story, AND reap the benefits that will eventually come!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2015, 8:04pm »

on Sep 5th, 2015, 7:42pm, StegRock wrote:
In somewhat of a surprise to many, from "The REAL Feed":

Philadelphia Eagles release QB Tim Tebow
NFL.com (05.09.2015 17:55)
Tim Tebow is looking for a job again after the Eagles cut the quarterback on Saturday. Is there any other NFL team willing to take a chance on the former Heisman Trophy winner?

I am going to get this on the record now... Chip Kelly may very well have his poker face on here. This is not necessarily the end of Tebow's QB career in the NFL OR with the Eagles. It is rather likely that Tebow, assuming he is not claimed off waivers, which is what Kelly is betting on if I am right here, is back with the Eagles as early as Tuesday, September 15th, that is, after Week 1 is in the books. (Of course, if he is claimed, he is back in the NFL.)

You may think, "How is this so?" The contract Tebow signed with the Eagles had $0 guaranteed as long as he was cut before Week 1. Non-guaranteed contracts are allowed during the offseason/preseason. But, according to what the NFL and NFLPA agreed to some years ago, salaries for players who are on Week 1 rosters become guaranteed. Salaries for players signed after Week 1 are NOT guaranteed. In other words, Tebow can be brought back as early as the conclusion of Week 1 under the same terms he had been playing under since April 20th and throughout the offseason and preseason. He would perhaps have a short leash in that case as such a new non-guaranteed contract would suggest, but he would be back in uniform.

Moreover, Chip Kelly has already declared that they will carry three quarterbacks. He says they will be scouring the waiver wire, and with that said Kelly did something remarkable that may already hint at a plan to bring back Tebow. Surrendering both talent and leverage, Kelly cut his team down, not to the mandated 53, but to 52, thus, keeping a spot warm for "someone", perhaps, in a good faith gesture, tipping his hat... and his hand! Maybe Kelly was hoping for E.J. Manuel, for whom he has expressed fondness, or, gasp, RGIII, who would seemingly satisfy Kelly's appetite for the read-option, to be cut. Neither was, and, after perusing the post-cuts, updated list of free-agent quarterbacks, it is actually hard NOT to see the Eagles re-signing Tebow. Topping that list is Matt Cassel. For all of the criticisms of Tebow, Cassel REALLY is AWFUL. Yea, Tebow may be a system-fit guy, but there is NO system that can prop up Cassel, and, again, he is #1 on the list. Tebow is #8. Between the two is a "who's who" of proven losers and "who the hell is that" from Christian Ponder and T.J. Yates to Brad Sorensen, Bryn Renner and Seth Lobato . Give me a break. Tebow is better than those guys and, in any case, far-and-away so for the Eagles.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2015, 8:05pm by Stegfucius » Logged
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2015, 10:15pm »

Tebow sucks, always has! He is one of the worst draft picks to ever go down in the NFL and that includes Jamarcus Russell. The only reason he even got consideration is because he is a jesus loving, great christian guy. Thats me going on record!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 6th, 2015, 5:44pm »

Well, I got this one wrong for now at least.  Tebow is assuredly not going to be back with the Eagles (anytime soon).  From "The REAL Feed":

Eagles fill Tebow's spot by claiming QB Morris
ESPN: NFL (06.09.2015 15:39)
Eagles fill Tebow's spot by claiming QB Morris
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7th, 2015, 6:47pm »

If the Browns were smart, they would sign Tebow after Week 1 when his contract does not have to be guaranteed! Where am I going with that?

Of all the editorials out there on Tebow, positive and negative, there is one qualifier about him that I must concede is absolutely the case. He needs an offense designed around -- and I will state this euphemistically and optimistically -- his unique type of quarterbacking, and the problem that lies therein is what do you do about your other quarterbacks who, at least relative to Tebow's unique skill set, are almost inevitably going to have a more conventional skill set. It is not practicable to have multiple offensive identities: one for Tebow and one for your other quarterbacks. I agree. Indeed, it is precisely this line of reasoning that had so many of us so excited about his landing in Philadelphia with Chip Kelly who seemed to want to run an offense which Tebow would fit. Moreover, it is in this way that Cleveland makes so much sense.

They have a solid offensive line, want to emphasize the run, and they have not yet given up on Johnny Manziel, whose style of play is similar (though inferior) to Tebow's (thus making Manziel a perfect backup for Tebow), and they have Terrelle Pryor, who, though transitioning to receiver, is also cut in this mold. Manziel lacks the size and arm strength to be sustainable in "this kind" of offense, but he would be a great backup to Tebow. Indeed, they could learn from each other. Josh McCown... come on! He is old, not good, and, moreover, conventional. He is not the future and could be yanked at any time for ineffectiveness but at the same time does not provide a good model and partner for Manziel. The kind of offense that will be run under McCown will be very conventional, even conservative, which will make the transition to Manziel all the more difficult, potentially fated to fail. If Manziel has any future with the Browns (and, for that matter, Pryor any future at all at quarterback), they have to have another quarterback on the roster who plays in that same mold lest they run the risk of a schizophrenic offense and Manziel's inevitably having the same charge leveled against him as Tebow. Tebow and Manziel together is the solution to that dilemma. The Browns just have to be willing to think outside the box and commit to it. After all, they have already demonstrated a penchant for thinking outside the box in keeping Pryor, who would serve as a perfect emergency #3 QB in this scenario.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2015, 7:11pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2015, 8:26pm »

Meanwhile, almost right as I am posting this,

on Sep 7th, 2015, 6:47pm, StegRock wrote:
If the Browns were smart, they would sign Tebow after Week 1 when his contract does not have to be guaranteed! Where am I going with that?

Of all the editorials out there on Tebow, positive and negative, there is one qualifier about him that I must concede is absolutely the case. He needs an offense designed around -- and I will state this euphemistically and optimistically -- his unique type of quarterbacking, and the problem that lies therein is what do you do about your other quarterbacks who, at least relative to Tebow's unique skill set, are almost inevitably going to have a more conventional skill set. It is not practicable to have multiple offensive identities: one for Tebow and one for your other quarterbacks. I agree. Indeed, it is precisely this line of reasoning that had so many of us so excited about his landing in Philadelphia with Chip Kelly who seemed to want to run an offense which Tebow would fit. Moreover, it is in this way that Cleveland makes so much sense.

They have a solid offensive line, want to emphasize the run, and they have not yet given up on Johnny Manziel, whose style of play is similar (though inferior) to Tebow's (thus making Manziel a perfect backup for Tebow), and they have Terrelle Pryor, who, though transitioning to receiver, is also cut in this mold. Manziel lacks the size and arm strength to be sustainable in "this kind" of offense, but he would be a great backup to Tebow. Indeed, they could learn from each other. Josh McCown... come on! He is old, not good, and, moreover, conventional. He is not the future and could be yanked at any time for ineffectiveness but at the same time does not provide a good model and partner for Manziel. The kind of offense that will be run under McCown will be very conventional, even conservative, which will make the transition to Manziel all the more difficult, potentially fated to fail. If Manziel has any future with the Browns (and, for that matter, Pryor any future at all at quarterback), they have to have another quarterback on the roster who plays in that same mold lest they run the risk of a schizophrenic offense and Manziel's inevitably having the same charge leveled against him as Tebow. Tebow and Manziel together is the solution to that dilemma. The Browns just have to be willing to think outside the box and commit to it. After all, they have already demonstrated a penchant for thinking outside the box in keeping Pryor, who would serve as a perfect emergency #3 QB in this scenario.

... the Browns sign Austin Davis, whom they are "intrigued by" and whose salary is guaranteed as long as he remains on the roster through Week 1:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-intrigued-by-new-QB -Austin-Davis/7c61c1f0-4897-47f6-809e-ba77b057974c.

Look, I understand the idea of bringing in a #3 who will just run the scout team and be otherwise invisible rather than bring a media circus and immediate pressure to play him,... but intrigued, really...??? With McCown and Manziel, your #3 is likely to be called on to make starts, and, moreover, given the makeup of your quarterbacks and willingness to run the read-option with Pryor, you want Davis over Tebow, moreover, with a guaranteed salary! No wonder the Browns suck!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.