In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 25th, 2017, 6:07am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Experts Getting it Wrong No. 1: C. Johnson

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Red Zone
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Back Judge, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Referee, Line Judge, Umpire)
   Experts Getting it Wrong No. 1: C. Johnson
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 1: C. Johnson  (Read 606 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Experts Getting it Wrong No. 1: C. Johnson
« on: May 22nd, 2015, 11:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems that Minnesota Vikings WR Charles Johnson is typically getting ranked in the 35 to 45 area in offseason WR rankings and oftentimes behind newly-acquired teammate Mike Wallace.  I have seen Johnson ranked as low as 47.  I would argue that all this is way off.

Granted the sample size is small, but, while Wallace is a newcomer, Johnson is returning and, indeed, seemed to be establishing good chemistry with rookie QB Teddy Bridgewater after being acquired late last season.  Johnson's measurables are freakish and of the kind of an NFL WR1, or so the scouts say, while Wallace appears to be settling into a career as the journeyman lid-lifting, but straight-line WR2 the Steelers knew him to be, which is why they did not want to pay him WR1 money.  Most importantly, though, is Norv Turner's scheme.  Johnson is going to play the lead Michael Irvin X-receiver role while Wallace is going to play the supporting role of Z-receiver Alvin Harper, and most of us old-time fantasy footballers know how that panned out: Irvin, fantasy stud; Harper, waiver-wire fill-in guy.

In terms of preseason fantasy rankings, I see Charles Johnson in WR rankings in the range of 24 to 26.  Wallace is more in the 35 to 40 area.  That is my , at least.

What are your thoughts on Charles Johnson???
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 1: C. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2015, 6:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The more I think about it, I think Wallace, whose game Cordarrelle Patterson most resembles, in the ideal at least, was also brought in for Patterson to learn from.  In this sense, I think Wallace's understudy, Patterson, in whom the team has invested a lot, is more of a threat to cut into Wallace's snaps and targets than Johnson's understudy, at least depth chart-wise, Jarius Wright.  Indeed, Wright's game is more Wallace-esque, as well, meaning that Wright too may also be a threat to eat into Wallace's opportunities.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.