In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 4:38pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Experts Getting it Wrong No. 3: C. Ivory

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Red Zone
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Back Judge, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Referee, Line Judge, Umpire)
   Experts Getting it Wrong No. 3: C. Ivory
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 3: C. Ivory  (Read 547 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Experts Getting it Wrong No. 3: C. Ivory
« on: Jul 1st, 2015, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, this column is going to be quite a bit more nuanced than my prior two (regarding Charles Johnson and Brian Quick) insofar as I think where Jets RB Chris Ivory is being ranked, typically around 26 to 31, is about right.  The bone I have to pick is with the role the pundits seem to see Ivory filling in a backfield that is, granted, cluttered with similar-type tailbacks and the low ceiling they are projecting for him.

They seem to think Ivory is a poor fit for offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's offense because he is not a good receiver.  I would contest whether or not that is really the case, at least to the degree that the pundits seem to think, but, setting that aside, he seems to be just as serviceable as the others.  Moreover, head coach Todd Bowles is defensive-minded, and, regardless of the team's implementation of a spread offense, he is going to want a ball-control offense with a smash-mouth rushing attack that sets up the pass and takes the heat off of Geno Smith, and of the four tailbacks they have Ivory is far-and-away the best runner.  I mean the only one who could give him a run for his money is Stevan Ridley, who is coming off a torn ACL and MCL and remains sidelined for the foreseeable future.  Thing is, Ivory runs very violently and is thus prone to injury, hence the need for depth and the signing of Ridley, who is not ready, and so also Zac Stacy.  Bilal Powell is no threat for regular early-down work.  While the Jets have a glut at running back, I think it is more for the purposes of depth than a desire to implement a full-blown running back by committee (RBBC).  Ivory will surely lose third-down work to Powell, but I do not see either Ridley or Stacy rotating in on early downs too much.

Indeed, it would not surprise me at all if Chris Ivory, providing he stays sufficiently healthy (to not lose his job), had a "Fred Jackson" couple of years under Bowles and Gailey.  You know the kind of career Jackson had with the Bills where there was always the new guy who was supposed to be the new starter, but you just cannot get old steady Freddie off the field.  Bottom line, Ivory's floor is about 800 yards rushing, 100 yards receiving with a combined five touchdowns (however, that is what has been getting pimped by the pundits as his ceiling), but, while his ceiling is admittedly not too high, I would say that 1,150 yards rushing, 200 yards receiving and 11 combined touchdowns, finally his breakthrough season, are not at all out of the realm of possibility.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Experts Getting it Wrong No. 3: C. Ivory
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2015, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Murmurs about Ivory's being every-down-back material are already starting to emerge...  It is what head coach Todd Bowles is thinking...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52784/jets-chris-ivory-h oping-2015-is-his-breakout-year
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.