In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:38pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2007 CBFL Cheatsheets/Commentary Thread

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   between the 20's
(Moderators: Replay Official, Umpire, Back Judge, Side Judge, Line Judge, Referee, Field Judge, Head Linesman)
   2007 CBFL Cheatsheets/Commentary Thread
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2007 CBFL Cheatsheets/Commentary Thread  (Read 5664 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 2007 CBFL Cheatsheets/Commentary Thread
« Reply #25 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 7:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I honestly feel that T.O. is too risky of a pick in this format where you're saddled with him.  There is no way to get out from under him via trade and no free-agents to pick up to save the day.  MUCH of the CBFL is about making the "safest" choice of the choices you have.

That is because we play out this "mock" draft, which embeds accountability that real mock drafts do NOT give you.  And, incidentally, ALL that is PRECISELY why the CBFL produces such useful and commonsensical cheatsheets.  It's a magical formula!  But, LIKE IN LIFE, it's an open-ended, self-referential formula, i.e., it takes us drafting for a league to generate a cheatsheet to help us draft for leagues, and all we can do is build on that to produce truly valuable cheatsheets vis-a-vis those given us via "actual" mock drafts.

A real-life example is like this.  If I want to live the life of the "Good Book" (insert whatever "great book" you like), I have to, with rigor, read the book.  But, just in doing that, I'm already living the life of the "Good Book".  You follow???  In doing a "real" draft (instead of a "true" mock draft), we are already doing what it takes to "really draft".

When this stuff starts to play mind tricks on you, when you go (rapidly) back and forth between Nietzsche lightning flashes of profound insight followed by mundane realizations like "wait, yea, there's nothing special about that", as you're thinking it through, that's when you know you are REALLY getting it,... which is, just to mind fuck yous, "really getting it".  That back-and-forth between profundity and mundanity is your plugging yourself into the two "realities", so to speak, reality and meta-reality.  You "really get it" when you "really get it",... which requires your "really getting it"!  Get it???  It is what it is.  A = A.  It's all immanent (reality); yet, it's also all transcendent (meta-reality). In fantasy football as in life, coordinating that meta-reality with reality on the ground, so to speak, getting it so that the two come together to complete the circle, is the key to self-mastery.

WOW...  I'm having some mind explosions today.  This is wonderful (for me, at least, even if it falls on deaf ears with you guys).  The Ph.D. program that "gets me" (think "two" realities) will be lucky.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:07pm »

The "Cheatsheets" in the initial post of the thread have been updated through the latest pick!
rickgpin
GM
# 487

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:15pm »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 4:07pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
rickgpin...I have made a voodoo doll of you and you will feel great pain very soon.

(for taking the Ravens right before I was going to)

i may reget that early pick...i guess we will see what is left of the offensive players in the later rounds.    

Ozark Hellbenders:TBD
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:23pm »

There really is no argument here on whether or not to draft a defense much higher in the draft than has happened in past drafts and that's the true reality.  He who hesitates loses the chance at the golden ring.

The false reality is to sit back and make picks that will never net you the 50 points week in and week out that a good defense will get you.  That's not only a documented fact, it's an in your face reality.  Year after year you can see otherwise good teams in this league crumble under the load of their defensive ineptitudes.

The other false reality is to accept the norm of waiting to make the right pick because others are waiting to make the right pick until you make the right pick.  The right pick then becomes incumbent on the luck of the draw and not on the logic dictated by the reality of the facts.

No team will ever win this league with out the benefit of a good defense...you can win it without a beyond belief performance like LT had last year or the Priest a couple years ago...but you will never never never never never win this thing losing 50 points a week with a poor defense. You will take an   every year.

I thought the reality of the negative stuff that went on last year was the   crying over not executing good picks within the parameters of the rules...you know the rules...you make the picks...you live with the consequences and hopefully learn from it and live to play another day.

cwhams

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:28pm by cwhams » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:41pm »

cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:22pm »

Okay, not all the negative stuff.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:24pm »

THAT is a GREAT pick!!!  I have Thomas Jones #11 in my rankings, ahead of Benson, who I took MUCH earlier, in fact.  So, INCREDIBLE value!  I did that thinking that Jones had a greater chance of falling (back to me) than Benson (and he almost did), combined with the fact that I have Benson, and not Jones, in the GBRFL, and I'm all about "consolidating" my rooting interests whenever reasonably possible.  Anyway, , Primer!
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #32 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:58pm »

Agreed...that guy was a real hard one for me to pass up...very good pick.  He and Benson are both in a position to do some great things this year.
PrimeTime
Fantasy Field General
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '06
# 169

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:38pm »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 9:24pm, StegRock wrote:
THAT is a GREAT pick!!!  I have Thomas Jones #11 in my rankings, ahead of Benson, who I took MUCH earlier, in fact.  So, INCREDIBLE value!  I did that thinking that Jones had a greater chance of falling (back to me) than Benson (and he almost did), combined with the fact that I have Benson, and not Jones, in the GBRFL, and I'm all about "consolidating" my rooting interests whenever reasonably possible.  Anyway, , Primer!

While I already had two good RB's he was too good to pass up.  I was surprised to be able to get him in the 4th round of a 12 team league.  

Thank God three defenses were picked in the third round!    
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:45pm »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 10:38pm, PrimeTime wrote:

Clever, clever, clever... I haven't gotten a good laugh like that here in a while.
rickgpin
GM
# 487

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:47pm »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 10:38pm, PrimeTime wrote:

Or maybe it was 5 QBs or 1 TE in the first 3 rounds.  you just never know.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:51pm »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 10:47pm, rickgpin wrote:
Or maybe it was 5 QBs or 1 TE in the first 3 rounds.  you just never know.

Okay,... enough now...
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:54pm »

It was a great move as far as blocking other teams from picking up a quality RB...and will be an even GREATER move if one of your other guys gets hurt...

The way I see it though if you planned on success from the first two RBs (which is why you draft them) then it somewhat seems like you would want to take someone here that will score points for your team...I mean that's a great handcuff for yourself but is the 4th round the time to be picking up backups when starters are still on the board??

who am i to question the champ?!?!?!?   ahahahahaha

be kind!!!  

When a defining moment comes...you can either define the moment or let the moment define you!!
PrimeTime
Fantasy Field General
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '06
# 169

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 11:10pm »

There is a little secret to the scoring in this format, but I am not going to tell you what it is.  You will need to figure it out for yourself or get Steg to tell you.
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 12:57am »

Are you referring to the "best ball" approach, if you will?!?  

Where the top two performances of your group are used in the total?!?

Ok, I had a nice long explanation of exactly WHY I had a bit of doubt for your particular team to have made that pick.  Then i started to read it over and thought about some of the things i talked with steg about this afternoon.

I was basically giving you all my entire strategy laid out on the table!!    There's no reason for me to help everyone else out by explaining why there were better picks out there for YOUR team then T.J.

This grasshopper may seem to be in over his head...why go toe to toe with the champ...lol...obviously he's proven himself (then again, he DID have the Bears D/ST last year)!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 1:01am by Takamine305 » Logged

When a defining moment comes...you can either define the moment or let the moment define you!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 3:38am »

on Jul 20th, 2007, 12:57am, Takamine305 wrote:
Ok, I had a nice long explanation of exactly WHY I had a bit of doubt for your particular team to have made that pick.  Then i started to read it over and thought about some of the things i talked with steg about this afternoon.

I was basically giving you all my entire strategy laid out on the table!!    There's no reason for me to help everyone else out by explaining why there were better picks out there for YOUR team

While I agree with what you've said here, Tak,... this is definitely NOT (one of) the secret(s) to CBFL success.

Quote:
(then again, he DID have the Bears D/ST last year)!!!

Yes,... but procured a WHOLE TWO ROUNDS later than you took 'em this year. ...
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #41 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 9:55am »

What's not the secret??

Me not telling the secret??

the scoring format comment was wrong??

and the Bears D/ST in round 5 would be a steal in my opinion! (for the CBFL's -1 point per point and per 25yards system)

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 9:59am by Takamine305 » Logged

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:15am »

Bears defense is going to see a significant decline in their stats this year.

They play improved offenses in the NFC Central (Detroit WILL score some points, Minnesota still has a nice O-line and have a pair of RBs and better WRs this year, and Favre is still capable of throwing 3-4 TDs in a game) and they face the always dangerous AFC West, so their schedule is tougher.

Also, it's very possible that Lance Briggs will NOT be playing for the Bears this year, or at least until week 9, meaning Jamar Williams, Leon Joe, or rookie Michael Okwo will have to pick up the slack. Tommie Harris won't be nearly as effective without Tank Johnson next to him, and there's not a lot of depth at DT for those Bears. Adam Archuleta is clearly not the player he was early in his career.

I would not be surprised if the Bears are merely a middle-of-the-pack defense by year's end.
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #43 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:28am »

you might very well be right... (   )

monkeys might fly out of my ass too!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:29am by Takamine305 » Logged

rickgpin
GM
# 487

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 12:23pm »

being a season ticket holder for the Rams, Adam Archuleta on your defense would be enough to scare me.  

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 1:44pm »

on Jul 20th, 2007, 11:28am, Takamine305 wrote:
you might very well be right... (   )

monkeys might fly out of my ass too!!!

Wow! When confronted with analysis like that, I guess I have no reason for argument.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 2:50pm »

The "Cheatsheets" in the initial post of the thread have been updated through the latest pick, 5.01!
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #47 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 6:11pm »

This whole draft thing hardly seems fair.  I'm way to use to talking with and dealing with folks who really don't know football that well...or maybe they know one or two teams.

The picks in this draft are way too good ...destroying all my feable attempts at success.

Think I'll go home and just wait until my next pick rolls around.

cwhams
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 6:12pm by cwhams » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 10:09pm »

The "Cheatsheets" in the initial post of the thread have been updated through the latest pick, 6.01!

Also, to get a little discussion going,... as I see it,... best value pick so far... DB's 4.07 pick of Roy Williams.  Right after that, I think, would be the aforementioned 4.04 pick by PT of Thomas Jones.  But, right now I have Williams ranked #2 among wide receivers!!!  That's GREAT mid-fourth round value.

What do you guys think... of what I think... and in general about the picks thus far... best/worst???  Let's discuss...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 6:08pm »

The "Cheatsheets" in the initial post of the thread have been updated through the latest pick, 7.02!
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.