In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:39pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Remembering 9-11...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Line Judge, Side Judge, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Umpire, Referee, Replay Official)
   Remembering 9-11...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Remembering 9-11...  (Read 6764 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Remembering 9-11...
« on: Sep 10th, 2002, 11:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Guys,

In accordance with our developing a close-knit group here, let's come together briefly, AS AMERICANS, over an event which has affected (and effected, I suppose) all of our lives immensely over the last year.  I know it is a huge, unfortunate reason why I am even back in the ROK right now.  It is important for us to stick together and not be hostile to one another during this time.  This thread was started in that vein.  Respond however you like, but make sure you indicate that your hand is extended to your fellow Americans, by writing...

..."I extend my hand out to you, my brother."  (or something of the like)

Thank you for participating!  You will at least make this fella, who is from Jersey, i.e. fairly close to New York, but is currently displaced (misplaced) in South Korea, but wearing his Stars & Stripes, feel good.  It has been "September 11th" for over a half day now!

I extend my hand out to you, my brothers...
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2003, 12:25am by Stegfucius » Logged
paulinstl
Head Coach
# 4

View Profile

Re: 9-11-01... Extend your hand...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 11:15pm »

At the risk of sounding trite, I hope everyone  takes the  oppurtunity tomorrow to reflect on what really matters in your life, be it family or friends, and make the most of it by telling them or showing them how you feel.

Chili D.
Assistant Coach
# 3

I love "the Gridiron"!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 1:01am »

Hey Steg, guys,

I could just blame my lack of posting on my being so busy here teaching in Korea, and taking care of my boys while Mom's back in the U.S. for a few weeks, but truth is I am a straight up beginner here.  I often do come over and check out all your posts and I should offer some thanks because I am learning a lot here, slowly but surely.  But, I couldn't pass up posting something something today.  It was just a year ago that I was here in Korea watching the 9/11 events unfold live on television after just having completed Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor", a fictional piece that had just become non-fiction/tragic reality for so many back in my homeland.  Yet, maybe even more unbelievable now is that already a year has passed since those horrific acts.  I've had occasion to remember it and pay some sort of a tribute, if only holding the American flag at the World Cup games in Korea.  Though those small acts of remembrance may have meant nothing to anyone else around me... I hope my post here today and my hand out in salute to those who were lost or lost will mean something to some or all of you here.  Take care guys!  Peace!
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 4:23am »

I feel like anything I say on this subject will appear trite, but my thoughts and prayers (at least as close to prayers as an agnostic can get) are still with the victims and survivors of this tragedy.

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Jay
Tackling Dummy
# 6

I love "the Gridiron"!

View Profile

9-11-01... Extend your hand...
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 6:24am »

I'll take the opportunity to say that I am very proud to be an American.    Watching an entire country come together like we did in the midst of a tragedy really does send shivers down the back of my spine.     It's so easy to forget what a wonderful luxury it is to grow up in the greatest country in the world, and it's easy to get caught up in our own lives and forget the people that need our help the most.     I remember.    God Bless those who were hurt by this vicious attack, and God bless those who continue to work for freedom throughout the world.
someone
Assistant Coach
# 31

Some day I'll be someone

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 9:23am »

Peace to all.  Not just today, but everyday.
ColaSteeler
Assistant Coach
# 46

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 9:59am »

As a foreigner living in the US, I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with the victims and families of those affected by what happened a year ago.

Peace to all.
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12, '18, '22
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 3:50pm »

My prayers and thoughts to all on this somber anniversary day. Our lives have been changed forever.

A few lines from a song will always ring true for me every time I reflect on September 11, 2001. They are simple words but they have come to have great meaning for me.

Find the cost of freedom
Buried in the ground.
Mother Earth will swallow you
Lay your body down.

- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 8:36pm »

Like Steg, I'm also a Jerseyan, though a bit more southern than him.  But I'm also close enough to have been touched personally by the events a year ago.

On 9-11-01, I was actually on a biz trip in Minneapolis.  I felt much safer there than I would have at home.  I saw the flight path one of the jets that hit the towers and it did its u-turn almost right over my office in Princeton, NJ.  As it was, I got stuck in Minneapolis for a few extra days and ended up having to drive home with a colleague of mine (20+ hours).

It was awful being stuck in a hotel room all alone, not knowing if friends back home were OK.  It really made me realize that I was taking many things - friends, family, work, life - for granted.  Many things have changed for the better since that tragic day and that is what I choose to focus on.

Thanks for reading this and peace be with you all.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12th, 2002, 3:50am »

Yo, Chili!

What up?  I'll be talkin' to you in a bit... about some crazy-ass shit, but...

As for what you wrote, great "sentiment."  That is weird about the Clancy novel.  As for our trials and tribulations over here in the ROK during the World Cup, well, the guys in here that also frequent FFToday should recall my threads during that time and the frustration and dose of reality I gave them about the situation.  How 'bout that 9-11-01 sign at the U.S.-Mexico game?  That was sweeeeeet!  Go U.S.A.!

I also want to thank each and every one of you that participated in this thread!  A special THANKS from me to... paulinstl , Chili D. , bgsgfan , Jay , someone , ColaSteeler , Sckus Redef 2 and PhantasyPhilly .  You guys are an "alright" bunch in my book.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Remembering 9-11...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 12:34am »

Lest we NOT let get lost what happened just two years ago on this very day amidst all the "politics as usual" that is going on once again.

On all the sites @FantasyFootballer.com, "the Gridiron" forum here, the GBRFL and GBRFL2 sites, and the CBFL site, there are remembrances of that day and the American brand of courage, heroism and perseverance that we displayed then and since then.  In particular, if you have the time, visit the CBFL front page.  It has a particularly striking patriotic theme that harkens back to 9-11:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cbfl/.

Keep your chin up, my fellow Americans, and do remember that we are NOT the ultimate bad guys that many want to make us out to be!
komments
Tackling Dummy
# 463

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 1:11pm »

I'd like to add a prayer request for those of you that pray.  Pray for the victims and their families.  Pray for our troops and their families.

And say a special prayer for those that made this happen.  Pray that God open their eyes and hearts to the pain they have wrought and bend them to his will so that they no longer use these methods against innocents.  Pray that they receive enlightenment from the only one that can give it to them.

I don't believe we will ever change their hearts.  But I do believe the He can.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 11:55am »

A moment of silence.  Feel free to add your moment of silence or break the silence with a "thoughtful" and, moreover, "thought-filled" comment.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 11:24pm »

Tonight after dinner, my wife and I (and our son) got in the car and went up to Hoboken where we spent some time along the river looking over into NY and the twin lights.  While Hoboken on a Saturday night (with tremendous weather) is always hopping, things seemed a bit more subdued.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 3:33pm »

Guys, amidst our joy today for kickoff Sunday, a privilege we as Americans have, let's remember not to forget, lest we take our privileges as Americans for granted...

If you've never checked out the CBFL site, check out it's home page.  It is a tribute and memoriam to that time:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cbfl/.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2005, 3:42pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 12:44am »

Never forget!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 2:21am »

Continued unrest calls for no rest in our search for the rest...
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 8:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'll not forget you my brothers!!

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11th, 2008, 9:04am »

It was very sad driving to work this morning listening to all the events going on today.  It really makes you think.  

My sister and brother in law are attending the dedication of the memorial today at the Pentagon.  My brother in laws brother has a bench dedicated to him since he was a victim of the attacks.  Gary F. Smith......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/interactives/pentagonmemoria l/victims/?hpid=artslot

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11th, 2009, 3:02pm »

A date that should remain seared in the memories of those who lived through it.  Eight years later, and to think of what was lost on that day still staggers me... as does its fairly evidently largely passing from our (social) consciousness.  They knocked down the 2nd tallest buildings in our nation in the largest city in our nation... with our own commercial planes.  Are you kidding me?  And, just weeks (days???) later the "sensitivity training" had begun...  ONLY in America!
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2009, 3:03pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 1:37am »

Divide and conquer!  Not a philosophy that is born within, even when emotions run high along party lines.  We cannot turn a blind eye lest we will end up with another black eye...  Don't rationalize away with legalese what's staring you in the face!  Don't be a sucker... twice!  Don't let yourself forget the day there was no rest because of the unrest!  Remember 9/11 today!  Remember its lessons everyday!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 1:51pm »

on Sep 11th, 2010, 1:37am, StegRock wrote:
Divide and conquer!  Not a philosophy that is born within, even when emotions run high along party lines.  We cannot turn a blind eye lest we will end up with another black eye...  Don't rationalize away with legalese what's staring you in the face!  Don't be a sucker... twice!  Don't let yourself forget the day there was no rest because of the unrest!  Remember 9/11 today!  Remember its lessons everyday!

Look...  I am not one who believes that we are at war with all of Islam or, better put, all Muslims.  But, I am not a fan of the disconnect.  Everything after 9/11/2001 has been tinged with politics.  That is doubtless.  To have gone as far as to have reduced the enemy to a "rag-tag band", though, is a contradiction in terms.  Setting aside ALL the rest, by definition rag-tag bands don't knock down two of the four tallest buildings in the world.  But, I digress...  Aside from all the political rhetoric subsequent to that day, there is "An Inconvenient Truth"...  From media outlets that cross the spectrum, we saw in real-time the virtually univocal response of Muslims in various Muslim countries as the events unfolded that day.  That, as politically inconvenient as it to say, was the Muslim "Main Street".
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: May 2nd, 2011, 1:06pm »

Finally, from "The REAL Feed" and everywhere...

Peter King: NFL draft takes backseat to bin Laden's death
SI.com: NFL (02.05.2011 09:01)
On a day of celebration and reflection for America, Peter King reflects on the past 10 years before sharing his views on the 2011 NFL Draft -- the highs, lows and everything in between.

Job well done by all!  Obama and his administration for sticking with a mission unpopular to most of his constituents, escalating on that front, and making sure the job got done (and not undone); Bush and his administration for having great resolve under terribly rough circumstances and doing the right thing and sticking with the mission in the face of nasty opposition, and, most of all, those unheralded ones who accomplished the mission!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #23 on: May 2nd, 2011, 9:10pm »

I also have no issues with the Islamic world/beliefs...
I believe strongly in freedom of religion...

I am very happy for the friends/families/co-workers/armed forces that we finally tracked down...AND KILLED!!!!!!.. the worlds most wanted  criminal.  
It is a great day. Thanks to all involved in finding him.

God bless America....and all the other countries of his innocently murdered victims.

I hope all victims families can find some peace now. They will be in our prayers and thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2011, 9:21pm by DOLFAN » Logged

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11th, 2011, 11:42am »

Kickoff Sunday notwithstanding, this thread must be raised to the top on this, the TEN-year anniversary of 9/11.  I hope everybody stays safe and sound.  I just hope that the authorities and the NFL do all that is in their power to keep the stadiums across our nation safe today.  There have supposedly been threats about attacks in NYC, but I have been thinking that it is actually at NFL games that we are most vulnerable today.  If you are going to a game, especially today, this is a day to really remember the contemporary adage, "If you see something, say something."  All the best, everyone...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.