In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2017, 12:17pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Johnny Unitas

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Johnny Unitas
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Johnny Unitas  (Read 339 times)
Mossaholic
Head Coach
# 44

View Profile

Johnny Unitas
« on: Sep 12th, 2002, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I thought it would only be appropiate if someone started a thread on Johnny U.  Although he played before my time and I never had the previlage of watching him play the stories I have heard and what I have seen of him on film he has to be one of the greatest stories of all time.  To come from a poor family and make it on a pro team only to get cut.  Instead of quiting and taking the easy way out he worked harder and finally made the Baltimore Colts roster.  Then to throw an interception that is returned for a touchdown on his first professional toss.  But he never quit and of course went on to win a championship and become one of the greatest QB's of all time. What a story

Johnny Unitas 1933-2002
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2002, 6:53pm by Stegfucius » Logged

“I might have to lobby the league to get an extra ball thrown in there during games. We only have one ball to go around, and we a have a lot of guys who want it. That’s a good thing.”
Mossaholic
Head Coach
# 44

View Profile

Re: Johnny Unitas
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2002, 2:28pm »

oh yeah and he would have been fantasy money with 47 straight games with a touchdown toss

“I might have to lobby the league to get an extra ball thrown in there during games. We only have one ball to go around, and we a have a lot of guys who want it. That’s a good thing.”
paulinstl
Head Coach
# 4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2002, 2:32pm »

He is one of the first football players I remember ever seeing when I was a kid. Flat top haircut, high top black cleats....Man, that was football in the 60s.

Johnny U still has people who claim he was the greatest QB to ever lace 'em up. I think that is a pretty neat legacy to leave.

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2002, 9:46pm »

He revolutionized football as we know it.  He was the first true field general.  He was the first QB to really manage the clock (while calling his own plays).

If you ask anyone who the greatest QBs of all time were, his name is always mentioned with the contemporaries.

I'm not nearly old enough to have seen him play, but I've seen plenty of tape of him.  The guy could sling it...    

(Hey paulinstl, I have to admit that I'm starting to have nightmares about that pic of Mrs. Warner.)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.