In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:05am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Referee, Umpire, Field Judge, Back Judge, Side Judge, Line Judge, Head Linesman, Replay Official)
   What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San  (Read 32720 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
« Reply #200 on: Mar 4th, 2016, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dissertation update...  On PAGE 161...  In "overtime" as far as I am concerned!  Still see it being done by page 175-ish.  Made my presumably final, partial submission earlier this week.  Still do not know if I will make it this semester, but I am giving it the proverbial "old college try", quite literally, I suppose.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #201 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 8:02am »

As of 1:48 a.m. local time, the writing of the Stegsertation is... DONE!!!

For all intents and purposes, at least!  On page 182...  Have a 1-to-2-page conclusion to write.  Will likely end up being 183 pages.  Plan to write that, proofread and submit tomorrow/today/Thursday!  Will check back in at that time...

and but
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2016, 9:55am by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #202 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 1:32pm »

on Mar 24th, 2016, 8:02am, StegRock wrote:
As of 1:48 a.m. local time, the writing of the Stegsertation is... DONE!!!

For all intents and purposes, at least!  On page 182...  Have a 1-to-2-page conclusion to write.  Will likely end up being 183 pages.  Plan to write that, proofread and submit tomorrow/today/Thursday!  Will check back in at that time...

and but

CONGRATS!!!!!!!  I know you worked very hard to get to this point- and I know you will reap the benefits
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2016, 1:33pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Travistotle
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #203 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 2:18pm »

Steg!!!!  Great news!  Give me a call sometime so we can catch up and I can hear all about the dissertation.

Approximate defense date?
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #204 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 10:20pm »

CONGRATS!!! I know you have invested a lot in this, more than we will ever know.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #205 on: Mar 25th, 2016, 10:39pm »

Just sharing the journey, fellas...

Did not get much done yesterday because of the late night,... correction,... morning the night before.  But, anyway, I am right now on the LAST PARAGRAPH!!!  I cannot believe it!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #206 on: Mar 26th, 2016, 12:26am »

DONE!!!  DONE!!!  DONE... with the writing.  184 pages!

Thanks for ALL the supportive words, Double D, Joe, Travistotle!!!  Words of encouragement have helped me along the way!!!

on Mar 24th, 2016, 2:18pm, Travistotle wrote:
Approximate defense date?

As to this, I have hit a possible,... nay,... likely snag.  Since time is of the essence and logistics need to be worked out fast if I am to graduate this spring, I put in a call to the Philosophy Department.  The secretary asked me if I turned in the "graduation application".  I said, "What?"  Dum-dum here, I did not even know there was such a thing, no less that it was due on February 12th. For reals though, I am TOTALLY out of the loop on this kind of stuff.  So, anyway, I immediately put an e-mail in to the Graduate School.  I have not yet heard back (which I hope means it is working up the chain).  Point being, defense dates and such will be scheduled relative to that.  If I am allowed to graduate here in the spring, the dissertation is due on April 15th, so shit has got to move super fast.  If not, I suppose it will be the summer.  But, I do want to walk, and that would have to be in December because SIU does not have a summer commencement ceremony. We shall see...  I really want to do this now, so please put in some prayers that my request for late submission of the "graduation application" is met by a reasonable, understanding soul. ...
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016, 12:31am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #207 on: Mar 26th, 2016, 3:47pm »

Well, 187 pages...  Could not help myself this morning as the girls were sleeping in...  It has become an addiction that I now see is hard to kick.  BUT, really, outside of proofreading, revising and defending, THAT IS IT!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #208 on: Mar 28th, 2016, 1:21am »

Just finished proofreading it and sent it on in.  It ended up being 189 pages... Wait-and-see mode now...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #209 on: Mar 29th, 2016, 7:16am »

Okay, 192 pages...  Resubmitted one last time!  BUT, that is it!!!  ...  Yea, I could not help myself...  I tinkered.  'Tis really an addiction...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #210 on: May 30th, 2016, 3:22pm »

Been largely out of pocket here for a while...  RIDICULOUSLY busy! Final revisions took some time, but it is now REALLY over!  Ended up 198 pages (213 including Abstract, Acknowledgments and Preface).  Anyway, NO MORE tinkering allowed! Just moments ago submitted the completed dissertation to the committee!!!  Defense scheduled for June 22nd at 2:00 p.m. ...
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2016, 3:22pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #211 on: May 31st, 2016, 6:00pm »

Congrats Steg!!!! Great job!  

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #212 on: Jul 15th, 2016, 12:38am »

I assume by the name change that your doctorate defense went well?  Doctorate in hand?
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2016, 8:22am by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #213 on: Jul 18th, 2016, 6:35am »

'Tis my first post as Stegfucius!  Indeed, been waiting some time to use that message icon on this thread for this occasion!

Thanks for asking, DD.  My reason for not posting earlier: am still caught up in this...

on Jun 1st, 2016, 3:41pm, StegRock wrote:
Crazy times yet again in the world of Steg, so things with the league have to remain on hold until July, and we are definitely looking at a late draft this year.  Stegs will not come up for air until July 3rd, but even then not really.  That said, amidst it all I would not mind hooking up with some of you east coasters.  Here are our upcoming dates...

We are in the throws of moving to a new place (YET AGAIN).  With some overlap in leases,.. we are currently in the process of packing; movers coming on June 3rd; will be out of this place and on a plane heading to New Jersey on June 7th, arriving on June 8th.  Reason for this current move: we are moving Mama Steg out with us.  That said, on June 20th, will hop in the car and head to Illinois to ... get that dissertation defended on June 22nd.  Then, back to mom, and, after getting some movers and chuckers involved, we ALL head back to Hawaii on July 2nd.  Steg, of course, then has to be back in the classroom on July 5th to teach Deductive Logic for the first time, which means that I should devote a good amount of time to reacquainting myself to formal logic and preparing the class... on the planes, I guess.

So, here we go...  Gonna be crazy, not much time to ditz around, but if you want to get together, let me know a.s.a.p., and let's see what we can do.  If you want to drop by the old Steg residence one last time, this is the last opportunity, preferably before June 20th, that is, before things are in total upheaval, and visitors are not really going to be welcome.

Over and Out...

Mama Steg is now here in Hawaii.  She is making out,... well,... okay.  The events of the past couple months have been a strain on us all, but things are slowly working themselves out.  We are still living in partial heaps and piles, and mom remains somewhat raw.

BUT, at any rate, yes, on the evening of June 22nd I changed my handle here from StegRock to Stegfucius to commemorate the fact that at 4:10-ish that afternoon after about a two-hour-and-ten-minute dissertation defense I became Dr. Stegeman!  It went outstandingly.  All five members voted "Pass as is" (as opposed to "Pass requiring revisions" or "Fail") in what was totally unflippantly told to me was the fastest deliberation in recent memory, less than two minutes.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #214 on: Jul 19th, 2016, 8:22am »

on Jul 18th, 2016, 6:35am, Stegfucius wrote:
'Tis my first post as Stegfucius!  Indeed, been waiting some time to use that message icon on this thread for this occasion!

Thanks for asking, DD.  My reason for not posting earlier: am still caught up in this...

Mama Steg is now here in Hawaii.  She is making out,... well,... okay.  The events of the past couple months have been a strain on us all, but things are slowly working themselves out.  We are still living in partial heaps and piles, and mom remains somewhat raw.

BUT, at any rate, yes, on the evening of June 22nd I changed my handle here from StegRock to Stegfucius to commemorate the fact that at 4:10-ish that afternoon after about a two-hour-and-ten-minute dissertation defense I became Dr. Stegeman!  It went outstandingly.  All five members voted "Pass as is" (as opposed to "Pass requiring revisions" or "Fail") in what was totally unflippantly told to me was the fastest deliberation in recent memory, less than two minutes.

CONGRATS!!!   I know how much time you put in and the journey to this point.   Pretty cool they approved it in 2 minutes as well.   Well done!!!!  
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2016, 8:23am by DirkDiggler » Logged

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #215 on: Dec 8th, 2016, 9:49pm »

Doctor Stegeman-

Your name was mentioned tonight at the dinner table as my freshman son was telling us about his day.  He had to write a paper comparing and contrasting Confucianism and Daoism.   After a brief discussion as to why the ruling class preferred Confucianism - I mentioned what you wrote your doctorate on.  

(I will let you know if he writes on the pope anytime soon   )

Meanwhile, I just realized how much I am glad I am not in school anymore.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2016, 9:56pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #216 on: Jan 27th, 2017, 6:39pm »

Been meaning to reply to this for some time...

on Dec 8th, 2016, 9:49pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
Doctor Stegeman-

Your name was mentioned tonight at the dinner table as my freshman son was telling us about his day.  He had to write a paper comparing and contrasting Confucianism and Daoism.   After a brief discussion as to why the ruling class preferred Confucianism - I mentioned what you wrote your doctorate on.  

(I will let you know if he writes on the pope anytime soon   )

Meanwhile, I just realized how much I am glad I am not in school anymore.

I am honored to have come up in the Warner household over dinner... even though coming up during dinner is not always a good thing!

As for Confucianism versus Daoism, actually, at least at the point of their original official cultural appropriation, that is to say, when the study/memorization of the core texts became mandated during the Han Dynasty, there was a preference for Daoism (perhaps, in part, as a backlash against the Legalism of the Qin Dynasty that had won the day of the Warring States Period).  That said, philosophically, what you state is right given the small-government, low-taxes, anti-regulation, anti-war libertarianism of philosophical Daoism.  Of course, the Confucians were also for low taxes, minimal regulations and by implication smaller government, too.  However, Confucians are for institutionalization.  Daoists most assuredly are NOT.

Much of the difference between the two camps can be understood via their philosophies of language.  They both see the inadequacy of words to capture reality and solve problems (which is the fundamental problem with legalism and, indeed, the law -- the concrete manifestation of which we call loopholes).  The Confucians advise the "rectification of names (zheng ming)", that is, fix and standardize the use of words (top-down) and on a personal level choose your words carefully and in accordance with standard meanings.  Metaphor muddies the waters of meaning and is, therefore, dangerous.  The Daoists proffer the "doctrine of no words (wu ming)", that is, speak as little as possible, use words only for communication and never for phenomenologically affirmative philosophical understanding.  Metaphor transcends the limitations of words and, therefore, is valuable.

Feel free to share with your son, Steve!

As for painting the whole picture and giving JPII some play here, well, announcing this has been long in the waiting...  Here are the goods, all:

http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/dissertations/1256/

or

http://gradworks.umi.com/10/16/10163451.html.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #217 on: May 13th, 2017, 2:05am »

Late notice on this one...  Steg, wife and child are in southern Illinois...  It is belated by almost a year, but I am walking in graduation and getting "doctorally" hooded on the morrow (indeed, later this morning) at SIU's commencement.  What a journey it has been...

Football is getting to be around the corner...  See yous soon!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #218 on: May 13th, 2017, 12:28pm »

Congrats Steg!!

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #219 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:17am »

on May 13th, 2017, 2:05am, Stegfucius wrote:
Late notice on this one...  Steg, wife and child are in southern Illinois...  It is belated by almost a year, but I am walking in graduation and getting "doctorally" hooded on the morrow (indeed, later this morning) at SIU's commencement.  What a journey it has been...

Football is getting to be around the corner...  See yous soon!

Congrats Steg!  You and your family should be very proud of your accomplishments and I am glad you got to walk in the ceremony.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #220 on: Aug 6th, 2018, 1:46am »

It has been a long time since I gave an update on this thread.  Frankly speaking, as some of yous know, it has been a rough couple years for the old, now "Dr." Stegger on the job-hunt front.  Disappointment after disappointment abounds in the Stegeman household.  That said, this is an interesting development heading into fall semester:

https://www.sis.hawaii.edu/uhdad/avail.classes?i=WIN&t=201910&s= PHIL.

All other (adjunct) professors' classes have been cancelled, and not in every case due to low enrollment.  Indeed, I too may lose one, but nevertheless it kind of gives me goosebumps to think that little old me is holding down a college, albeit community college, Philosophy program all by myself!

And, yes, again for those in the know, this is the school that I have mentioned dating back to when Gino and I had left Hawaii for, then, California in 2008.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.