In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 8:38pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San  (Read 22337 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
« Reply #50 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 6:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For those interested,... conference web site has been updated...

http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/gradconf/!!!

Getting just a little bit nervous... Remember, besides having that feeling just "in general", I will be presenting this thing in front of Dr. Roger Ames... I mean... he's cool and all,... but... critique is critique... ... ...
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2007, 6:57pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:48am »

Well, boyz and galz, this'll probably be the last time I will be "en communicado" until after I present, roughly seven hours from now. I'm just now heading into the shower and hoping to be in bed by 4:15 to get me all of about three hours of... Ultimately, though, I'm "philosophically" sharper, a little tired... Anyway,... send the old Stegger the good vibes, everybody... ... ...
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:50am by Stegfucius » Logged
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #52 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:33am »

Steve -

Enjoy yourself and kick some philosophical butt! Look forward to hearing the positive news.

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #53 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 8:41pm »

We are waiting to hear how it went!!!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #54 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good Luck!
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:17pm »

You'll be great.

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 7:01pm »

Hey, all...  Just makin' a quick drive-by,... quite literally. I want to thank all of you who wished me well. Stevo did give me a buzz and actually caught me the other day.  He was eager to know how I made out.

It went swimmingly... as in... ... Really, it went great!  I definitely raised a few eyebrows and furrowed not a few. Whether heads were knodding or quizzical faces glared at me, people were in shock... and awe. ... Mind you, they were so not just because my shit was the FUNNIEST presentation to probably ever be presented at an "academic" conference,... IT WAS (EVERYBODY, profs not excluded were like... BLAHAHAHAHA... ),... but because JPII does provide and shocking source of resonance with Confucius , one that cannot be denied, and, moreover, the results/residual ripple effects of this echoing, like it or lump it, just flat-out rings true.  Mine was definitely the presentation to cause some fireworks... as was expected.  However, none of the questions critically addressed the critical and foundational content of my paper.  Basically, I had my home-teamers again and, then, people who (ironically) cannot put aside their extreme biases.  Dr. Ames, who, cool cucumber that he is, took everything in stride, and, as my wife put it, actually looked on and sounded like a proud father, asked a good question, but it still dealt with the peripheral issue of the biography of JPII.  My response then was "eh".  I now have a GREAT one.  I guess that's part (and parcel) of what participating at these conferences is about, improving your position and making for a better center of gravity to your stance that is.  I also got a fluff question about Whitehead, which is not in my wheelhouse, though (I mean,... come on,... take the UNIQUE opportunity to inquire about Wojtyla, not Whitehead, a bastardized version of whom we are already inundated with here at UH).  Then, finally, the lambasting came.  A professor, who obviously had not read my paper and obviously has "issues" with his Christian, Lutheran, upbringing (and, don't get me wrong, I think justifiable issues; it's just that they were misplaced here), freaked out on me about the "Christian Distinction" (in short, the belief in a radically transcendent creator God vis-a-vis a pantheistic immanental God).  This is NOT AT ALL important to my paper or my project.  He just got hung up on my using this term, which, mind you, appears only ONCE in the 37 PAGES of my paper and even then in the context of the ideas Ames eschews and wants to distance himself and the Chinese tradition from, "a la," and I quote, "the Platonic Forms, Aristotelian Prime Mover, Neoplatonic One, Christian Distinction, etc."  I only used it there to knock it down, for goodness sake (again, not that I think it needs to be knocked down; I'm just speaking in terms of this paper and the audience here).  Point being, I used it in the paper in a way so as to "play to the crowd". At the conference, our panel was asked about points of tension between our papers.  I brought it up with respect to that, period.  This not about my proclamation of who is rightfully or wrongfully dubbed a "Christian".  I could give a rat's ass.  However, these two parenthetically aforementioned interpretations of a "Christian" God is SURELY a source of tension!  Bottom line, he was unfamiliar with the phrase, which is thrown around at CUA like we throw around the phrase "Process Philosophy" here at UH.  I definitely learned not to assume common nomenclature across venues, at least.  Defining terms is part and parcel of the job of the philosopher, in any case.  Anyway, much did come out of discussions with folks afterwards.  I must say... the phrase "suspension of Metaphysics" was on the tip of many a tongue for the remainder of the conference and, I am sure, will remain so in the mind of many a scholar henceforth. As people came "out of the closet" one-on-one with me (get your heads out of the gutters, Gridironers ), it became immensely clear to me that people were by and large very happy to see JPII's being brought to the table of East-West philosophic conversation.

Anyway, I may have some footage for yous.  My wife only got 12 minutes and change before the battery on the camera that was lent her ran out, and, perfectionist that I am, I don't know if that's all I want seen.  I do know that others were taping as well.  If I can get my hands on anything that covers my presentation in full (the Q-n-A session isn't necessary) and it's not TOO HUGE of a file (that's kind of problem even with the one my wife taped), I will definitely be posting it.  If not, I'll think about posting the one Gino did.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 11:31pm »

Still trying to get the video stuff together...  But, anyway, I'm getting ready to step up to the plate again tonight, and this time it's my show.  I actually thought I told you guys about this, but from reading through the thread I guess I didn't.

The good folks over at the Newman Center on campus (the Catholic chapel and ministry dudes) have welcomed me to do my Confucius-Wojtyla thing there tonight at 7:30. Theatrics and comic relief aside, it will be a "watered down" version of what I did at the conference, more like what I did at/had planned for the colloquium I did back on February 8th.  In short, the agenda will run a little something like this:  1) How I came to be interested in Wojtyla and Confucius (mainly JPII), 2) Short biographies of the two (mainly some fun ditties about the young, pre-papacy Wojtyla), 3) Hermeneutical concerns - Jesuit/Christian misinterpretations of Chinese text and how to approach the four kinds of writings Wojtyla produced, 4) Comparison between Wojtyla and an "Amesian" Confucius, 5) Comparison between Wojtyla and a more "traditional, conservative" Confucius (like that of Wing-tsit Chan), and 6) Main comparison (my thing) - the "Suspension of Metaphysics".

Here's a link to the flyer for it:
http://www.internetstitute.com/Wojtyla-Confucius%20Flyer.doc.
I actually made it myself.  It's not just a flyer.  It's a piece of artwork.

And, here's the outline/summary/agenda for tonight:
http://www.internetstitute.com/Wojtyla-Confucius.doc.

Anyway, here we go!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: May 1st, 2007, 6:39am »

First off, real fast, the presentation at the Newman Center went AWESOMELY!!!  There were about 30 people in attendance (only four from the Philosophy Dept., though). Anyway, everybody walked away enriched...  One fella in the audience pointed to a new door of exploration for me that was, in fact, inherent in my outline, and another person in the audience (a fellow philosopher, actually) helped me get to a new plateau in my thinking. The folks there were very into it, it was apparent to me that they definitely walked away with something.

IN ANY EVENT,... tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 (Hawaii time) I have my Master's Culmination Exam...

Them during ->
Me during    ->    

Them after ->

Me after ->

Me between now and then ->

Wish me... , guys...
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: May 2nd, 2007, 3:41pm »

Good luck with everything, Steg. Should be a piece of cake for ya!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: May 5th, 2007, 9:08am »

Thanks for the well wishes, Philster, anybody else who sent me some good vibage... I did pass... So, pending the completion of one more paper and a Japanese exam, I am... MASTA!!! Only thing, though, is they are holding us over a barrel until Monday to let us know who has been admitted into the Ph.D. program. Mind you, the decision has been made.  The decisions were made during this afternoon's faculty meeting.  I, us all, with the exception of two, one who knows he's outta here and onto Thailand and another who knows she is so good to go, are sweatin' it out.  I mean... I should be fine... BUT, truth be said, I was flat during the culmination exam.  I just wasn't really "on". At this point, I've just got to wait and see,... get work done while in the back of mind I wonder about the status of my future... until 11 o'clock Monday morning. ... ... ...

Incidentally, what a nightmare the exam was...  You hand in three revised and beefed-up papers and are tested on any one of them or all three.  I'm the Chinese Philosophy, Phenomenology, Catholic Personalism, Tibetan Buddhism guy...  Two of the papers were along those lines (one was the Confucius/JPII one I presented at the conference), 40 pages each, 80 pages in all.  My third was off-the-beaten-track for me, an "okay" 21-pager.  Just an afterthought, throw-in, really...  What do you all think was the paper they chose to exclusively test me on?  You guessed it...  The third one, my far-and-away third choice.  What was that paper on?  ...  NIETZSCHE!!!  THUS SPOKE ZARATHUSTRA!!!  F'n NIGHTMARE!!! Unbelievable!
captainpurple
Red Zone Master
# 179

oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Norsemen!

folske   casahojo
View Profile

« Reply #61 on: May 8th, 2007, 10:14am »

21 pager vs. 2 40-pagers. suppose it was just tester laziness that made them gravitate to that one?

Anyway, good luck! I hope you did as well as you deserve!

Let us know!

P.S.   I hope you did as well as you deserve!I realized this quote could be misconstrued as a double entendre (or more!).  and as a philosophy guy, that wouldn't be lost on you    Rest assured, just good vibes there...L8R!
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2007, 10:18am by captainpurple » Logged

3 straight underperforming seasons, one nitwit head coach, 2 problem child WRs, 1 collosal trade bungle....but a wild boat party with booze and hookers!!!????? Priceless.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: May 10th, 2007, 12:42am »

Actually, fellas,... the news is BAAAAAAD!!!  Only 2 of the 6 of us were passed on to the Ph.D. program.  Despite a 3.8 GPA and already having been awarded money weeks ago for next year,... I, shockingly, was NOT one of them.  Furthermore, applications did not go well as, because I was basically content with staying here (as we LOVE Hawaii), I shot VERY high with apps to other programs, assuming (never do that) that I was a shoe in here.  Things are a mess right now.  Somehow, though, over the last 48 or so hours since the announcement was made, I had to muster up the strength to write a 20-pager (22 pages) and prep for a Japanese exam, which I can't fluff off on because I, unlike almost all my colleagues, take the language class for a grade and not just pass-fail.  I literally wrote this paper over the weekend with a bad premonition and since the announcement on Monday with a half a heart, a lump in my throat, a clenched fist, and an apprehension about a now uncertain future.  To be frank with yous, I am hearing word that my philosophical pursuits (see above... if you follow) and the success I was having (remember I wrote that paper for a professor who was visiting here for just one semester) ended up coming back to bite me.  In any event, needless to say, I, along with my ever faithful wife, are picking up the pieces.
captainpurple
Red Zone Master
# 179

oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Norsemen!

folske   casahojo
View Profile

« Reply #63 on: May 10th, 2007, 12:48pm »

Man, I wish there were something I could say to help you guys.  I know the "...God opens a window" cliches are overdone, but hopefully you can find the next step in your journey is revealed to you more clearly.  Whether that be to continue pursuing this dream or set your sites on another.  

God be with you, as are my prayers.

All the best.

3 straight underperforming seasons, one nitwit head coach, 2 problem child WRs, 1 collosal trade bungle....but a wild boat party with booze and hookers!!!????? Priceless.
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #64 on: May 10th, 2007, 3:15pm »

Sorry Stegger,  things will work out for you in the end. The education you've already received is an amazing accomplishment in itself!! Be proud of what you've already accomplished and keep persuing the Ph.D. It will all fall into place for you...I'm sure of it!!  

Adversity is like lightning, if you can harness it it becomes usable electricity. Harness this adversity Steg, and ride it to bigger and better things!!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #65 on: May 12th, 2007, 12:04am »

Hey Steg... sorry to hear about your circumstances. I thought for sure that you were automatic.

If it's any consolation, I hear this fantasy football thing is a burgeoning industry.  
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

"The Dark Side is Within You"

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #66 on: May 12th, 2007, 10:49pm »

Man Sorry to here that Stegrock    

What a shitty thing to have happen.  Especially after all the hard work you have done.  Well, I know its not very consoling (sp) for a bunch of "sorry mans" but sorry man, that really blows.  

QB Mcnabb, Warner
RB- LT2, F. Gore, S. Young, K. Keith
RC- Ocho Cinco, G. Jennings, K. Curtis, J. Jerevicous
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: May 13th, 2007, 4:23pm »

Just saw this, Steve.  Sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to.  But in the years that I've known you, you've always managed to turn apparent disappointments into something even better.  This one will be the same.

If you haven't talked to your mom yet today, tell her I said Happy Mother's Day.  And give my love to Gino, too!

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
steelkings

Email

« Reply #68 on: May 16th, 2007, 8:01am »

Its not over till we say its over!

Was it over when the Germans bombed pearl harbor?
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2007, 2:02pm by steelkings » Logged
steelkings

Email

« Reply #69 on: May 16th, 2007, 4:54pm »

What do we do now? Toga.......Toga......Toga
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2007, 2:04pm by steelkings » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #70 on: May 23rd, 2007, 5:05am »

Keep your chin up Stegger!!!!!!

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #71 on: May 25th, 2007, 11:47pm »

Hey, all!

Thanks for the kind words...  I wanted to let yous know that the reason for my extended absence over the last two weeks does not have anything to do with my going in the tank or anything like that.  I had flown my mom in for the graduation.  She was here a couple weeks and just left last night.  So, I've been busy enjoying time with her as well as having family powwows about the future.  To be honest, we went around and saw more stuff on Oahu over these last two weeks with my mom than we have over the almost two years we've lived here.

At any rate, with my mom's departure last night, I am now in the process of picking myself up, brushing myself off and moving forward... in earnest.  I digress...  Make no mistakes.  This experience has been surreal.  If you remember from above, I was selected to do this book review for China Review International.  That still stands.  So, here I am, the guy given the heave-ho, working on this.  It's a significant resume item, so I press ahead.  But, the overall situation remains... ...weird, to put it mildly.

Anyway, some general decisions have been made,... and,... word is,... the old Stegger may be coming to a town near you.  One or two of you in particular (at least that I know of) is, at least according to preliminary determinations, "in the lead" to get the Stegger as a neighbor, perhaps as soon as this August-September.  Hmmmm... Who could it be? The truth, though, is that the window of possibilities remains wide-open, and, in fact, if any of you would like to have the Steg up-close and personal, Steg is listening.  I.e., if any of you come across any jobs, most likely community college teaching jobs, that minimally require a Master of Arts, preferably teaching Philosophy (but whatever), or would, at least, just like to point me in the direction of community colleges near you (as looking up community colleges nationwide is a time-CONSUMING nightmare, to say the least), please feel free to give me a hand and get the info to me.  I am, at present, a free-agent, and, as yous know, geography is not an issue for the Stegemans.  "Have bags.  Will travel."  That's my motto!  In fact and in short, the ideas thus far in the books range from everything from my returning to school this fall to the one school that still accepts applications for this fall that I would (even) consider attending (believe it or not, there are a few, only a couple of which am I even remotely interested in and only one of which would I be willing to even try to pick up and get to this August-September) to packing it in and moving on from the pursuit of a doctorate in Philosophy and making a career move right now,... and then there are all kinds of possibilities, actually probabilities, in between that you all can probably imagine.  I.e., the aforementioned two possibilities represent the two ends of the spectrum of possibilities, but something in between is what's more likely to happen.  However, if I do take the first of those aforementioned roads, "some one or two of you" stand to have little old me... as your neighbor!!! In any event, this is a case where your input could very well "make a difference", a very real one in a person's life, that person being me.  So, if you have any (specifically applicable) ideas, lay 'em on me (please remember, though, that I don't really need general advice; I need apropos job listings and/or lists of community colleges)!!!

Moving right along to a fairly closely-related issue to all this, at least as regards my heavy heart these days, but, in any case, one that is of direct interest to you all,... there is some sobering news regarding "the Gridiron" I'll be delivering soon.  It is not catastrophic, but it is a reality check. Expect a post over the next few days or so...

I'll leave it at that for now.  I am...

...Sincerely,
Steve Stegeman
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 5:44pm »

Okay,... guys and gals,... I'm starting to find my footing again. I finally finished up that book review for CRI last Friday and turned it in yesterday. Doing it definitely dripped with SO MUCH irony that, at first, it really was holding me back,... literally, from all else that I need to get goin' on (like WORK), and psychologically. But, after a day with a colleague and friend here,* during which he talked some sense into me about forgetting the "irony" and focusing on the opportunity and the fact that I deserve it. From that point, my attitude changed... I began regaining my confidence... I got philosophical about it... I started to "play" loose and not tight with it. It went from being something that was dragging me down and hindering me from getting on to the next chapter to something that gave me strength to overcome these circumstances, look ahead... at far horizons and closer destinations, and press on. At this point, the short-term moves and the long-term vision are beginning to take form, and I'm excited. As for the short run, after finishing the writing of the book review on Friday, I began the job search in earnest on Monday. On that very first day, I procured myself a really nice interview for next Monday, and it's been generally promising overall. So, let the... and begin... in earnest. As for the long run,... believe it or not,... I, once again, (think I) have a school I am VERY passionate about attending. ... Remember that my original plan was only to come to UH for my Master's and, then, go elsewhere for the Ph.D. "Conventionality", though, was starting to rule the day. But, that does not change the fact that my staying here at UH beyond the Master's would have meant that I was... we were "settling" (in both senses of the word). Truth is they did me a favor (though that does not justify their decision), allowing me to get "back to the future". I unfortunately must admit that I won't push it as hard with this school as I did with UH. As such, I have in line a safety school that (I believe) I wouldn't mind going to as well, as well as a bunch in between. That said, I now have a top school that I am ABSOLUTELY... about. Furthermore, both that top school and the safety school have programs that are as close to exactly what I want as I can expect, especially that top school. So, I'm in a comfortable place. Most of the schools on my short list (of 12 or so) I cannot return to studying at until fall of '08 with the exception of two, one of which, the safety school, I still could, believe it or not, possibly be enrolled at this fall. But, (barring unforeseeable circumstances and an unfathomable windfall) I won't do that. ... That said, who might get Steg as a neighbor???

So, all in all, things are lookin' up... because that's the way my chin is now, again, pointed. To boot, I'm lookin' at enjoying the '07 football season without graduate schoolwork hanging over my head. I still have a few loose ends... like securing a job... to tie up. Hopefully that will happen soon, so I can start devoting a little more time to "the Gridiron". I must admit, though, I, emotionally and psychologically (and financially), am having a hard time getting it back up for this place this year. I'm hoping that once things normalize in my life and I start getting (back) into gridiron goings-on, that'll change. I, nevertheless, hope to see "encouraging signs"... from you all...

*(Funny, crazy note... Understand that I am good swimmer and have done my share of boogieboarding in my time having grown up on the Jersey shore. But, to my ever-increasing chagrin, I never surfed. I have been determined to here in Hawaii. Well, to make a very long story short, I finally did that aforesaid day with that aforementioned "friend" of mine here. My first day out surfing ever, where do we go? The infamous North Shore of Oahu. I was like... The "fing" in surfing quickly turned into "viving". He went surfing. I went surviving. My first day really was almost my last. ... ... Really, paddling a longboard is a NIGHTMARE!!! I was spent before we even got going... and I was getting pummeled by 10 footers and almost thrown into the rocks that the current had swept us over near. )

Anyway, amidst all this, once I got my philosophical mojo back on, I came up with a pretty cool aphorism... It's more appropriate for another thread. That's where I'll post it.

Out!
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2007, 7:53pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 4:30am »

Well,... frankly speaking,... things have been going so-so in Steggie's World... I've gotten interviews, but no full-time job.  I am, however, cobbling together a living by way of two part-time gigs, classes at Kaplan and, of all things, a job as a building manager (how this happened is a looooong story,... but, believe it or not, it does "fit" the grand master plan... on multiple fronts, including this one).  All in all, it does allow me to pour a good portion of my energies back into this place... like back in the old days of "the Gridiron".  However, I digress... Today was the first day of classes for fall semeter at UH, and as I was driving home this afternoon from part-time job #2 toward where we still live up near UH.  It was tough... Seeing all the students and the hubbub and the building which houses the Philosophy Department and in which I would have been, either in class or in an office, probably at that very moment,... my heart sunk.  I mean... it's all for the best, I'm sure.  But, the intersection of the two worlds, what would have been and what is, was,... well,... poignant.

ALL of that having been said, the reason why I'm making this post right now,... I had something said to me that I'll never forget and always cherish, especially in light of what happened to me and the fact that today was the first day of fall semester at UH.  An old guy in this building I manage came down to my office.  He knows of my educational background.  He himself is (was) a bit of a scholar (in his day), having an Ed.D.  He came to break up the monotony and share something "philosophical" with me.  But, at any rate, he prefaced his conversation with this:  "It shows that you are a true man of Philosophy.  You don't say 'Plato' or 'Aristotle', but you speak it, and, just from my observations of you a couple days here, it is obvious that you live it." The timing couldn't have been more right, and the sentiment,... well,... it resonates...  I remember about a year ago, standing around with a bunch of my Philosophy colleagues between classes, wrappin' "Phil-o-sophy", Zhuangzi in particular.  And, I remember saying that though I like Zhuangzi, he isn't really my cup of tea (I'm more of a, as yous know, Confucius/Laozi guy), during which one of my colleagues cut me off, saying, "Yea,... whatever,... that's because you already 'get it'.  You don't need to read it.  You live it.  You are Zhuangzi."  It was an immensely flattering thing to say, no less in front of a group of our colleagues.  In any event, point being, it all gives me strength to press on...  It affirms the genuineness of my effort, that I am on the right track... and that there are others who can see it and "get it".  Again, where I am right now can surely be termed an "uneasy" place.  However, because of what that old gentleman deemed worthy to come down and say to me today (as well as my colleague back a year ago), where I am is just a "not easy" place, but one of inner peace and personal satisfaction .
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 4:17am »

Hey, everybody,... T-Rave, my fellow philosopher!

I have been admitted for spring (or, if I want to defer it, fall) semester enrollment into the Ph.D. program of my "safety" school.  But, this is a program one of my primary mentors from the University of Denver, Dr. Frank Seeburger, thinks is PERFECT for me, and I don't disagree.  In terms of being "what I want", it is indubitably in the top 2 to 5 (of the 12 or so schools on my list).  In any event, with other applications in the works, I'll probably go in the spring and find out for myself.  It is the Asian & Comparative Studies department of the Philosophy and Religion program (the Ph.D. is actually in "Philosophy and Religion", which does have pros and cons,... BWTFE) at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco.  SO, now the dudes that I was alluding to earlier in this thread that might get me as a neighbor should now know who they are. Anyway, bottom line,... Steg's got a pulse and "officially" back in the game!!! Ain't nobody gonna get me down... or, at least,... keep me down!!! ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.