In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2017, 5:17am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San  (Read 22307 times)
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

Re: What time is Karma 101 with Prof Steegie-San
« Reply #75 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 4:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That is awesome news, Steg.  Congrats.  Back in business!
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #76 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 6:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Allright Stegger....... keep on chuggin' (Don't know if I could leave the isle!!!)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #77 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 4:43pm »

Thanks for the well wishes, T-Rave, MC!  That you guys give a damn about me as a person (and not just your fantasy football slave ) means a lot to me...

on Aug 31st, 2007, 6:53am, MordecaiCourage wrote:
(Don't know if I could leave the isle!!!)

But,... ya know,... that's (at least, part of) what got me in trouble the first time around...

That having been said, incidentally, the Mrs. and I do have a plan that we're going to try to pull off that would allow us to keep one foot back here...

MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #78 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 6:00pm »

on Aug 31st, 2007, 4:43pm, StegRock wrote:

That having been said, incidentally, the Mrs. and I do have a plan that we're going to try to pull off that would allow us to keep one foot back here...

and what would that be?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #79 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 7:41pm »

One thing at a time, brother...  For now, I just want to relish this victory, which is oh, so "right", given how what happened to me was oh, so wrong,... AND I DEFINITELY don't want to jinx anything else...

Suffice it to say, though, that... I'd love to base the FantasyFootballer.com home offices in Hawaii (combined with a professorship over at Chaminade University or something). I'm hoping my planning along with the bounties of FantasyFootballer.com get us there (here ) someday.  But, I'm gonna need help making it all happen.  Those who are generous and help make it happen will have put themselves in position to reap those bounties.  ...  It is what it is...  "You reap what you sow" is NOT just a pejorative adage.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #80 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 10:47pm »

Congrats on the acceptance, Steg. Hope the program is what you need and that Cali is a good fit for you.  

I guess Jim knew you were eventually heading out to his old stomping grounds and got out before you arrived, eh?  
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #81 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 2:09am »

Wonderful news Steve! All my clan passes along big "ups" to you! You deserve to sit back and enjoy this moment - this should have already happened.

On a completely "inside information" note, I turned on the radio last Sunday night around 8 ish. I think I was looking for a score from the baseball game. Anyway, the big AM station here in CO was on and some guy was talking about...  

Transgender bathrooms and what people thought about their implementation.

I kid you not. Plus, he had probably been on since at least 7 p.m. so he had been yammering about it for an hour.

Now, if he can make it...

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #82 on: Sep 13th, 2007, 3:01pm »

Just saw this.  Congrats, Steve!

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #83 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 2:30am »

on Aug 31st, 2007, 4:17am, StegRock wrote:
Hey, everybody,... T-Rave, my fellow philosopher!

I have been admitted for spring (or, if I want to defer it, fall) semester enrollment into the Ph.D. program of my "safety" school. But, this is a program one of my primary mentors from the University of Denver, Dr. Frank Seeburger, thinks is PERFECT for me, and I don't disagree. In terms of being "what I want", it is indubitably in the top 2 to 5 (of the 12 or so schools on my list). In any event, with other applications in the works, I'll probably go in the spring and find out for myself. It is the Asian & Comparative Studies department of the Philosophy and Religion program (the Ph.D. is actually in "Philosophy and Religion", which does have pros and cons,... BWTFE) at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. SO, now the dudes that I was alluding to earlier in this thread that might get me as a neighbor should now know who they are. Anyway, bottom line,... Steg's got a pulse and "officially" back in the game!!! Ain't nobody gonna get me down... or, at least,... keep me down!!! ...

Well, fellas, the verdicts are all in... But, first, I briefly digress... One of the main reasons you all haven't been seeing too much of me lately around here is because over the past three or so weeks I've been setting "things" in motion... I'm headed this fall to CIIS. Actually, after making targeted contacts, I ended up applying to only one other program. Only two (Philosophy/Philosophy & Religion programs, but not Religious Studies programs as I figured out that that was not the right academic environment for me) ended up being welcoming to my line of work (Classical Chinese Philosophy, Roman Catholic Personalist Phenomenology, and Tibetan Mahayana Prasangika-Madhyamaka Buddhism). In the end, all things considered, I am headed to the best place for me in terms of content and scholarly support.

There are also a couple details of my going to CIIS that could be good for here. They are going to take a couple classes worth of transfer credit from Catholic U. That means that instead of having to take four classes all four semesters (to complete the Ph.D. classroom requirements) I will be able to take just three classes two of those semesters, presumably the two fall semesters, which would free me up a little bit during the football season. So, once the BIG move from Oahu to the Bay area is over, the next couple falls should be markedly easier on me than the last three.

Finally, it is now official that I will be becoming the neighbor of, at least, Tony O. I also know that Jim has connections to the area, and O4l is not too far away. Any help and/or info that would help us with this, yet again, BIG move would be MUCH APPRECIATED. Steg will soon be back running "the Gridiron" from a reasonable time-zone. ... We'll see how this Jersey guy makes out over on the left coast, no less right in the libbo gauntlet of San Francisco, no less at the ultra-liberal California Institute of Integral Studies. ...
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 4:44pm by Stegfucius » Logged
steelkings

Email

« Reply #84 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:23pm »

Quote:
no less right in the libbo gauntlet of San Francisco, no less at the ultra-liberal California Institute of Integral Studies. ...

Aww, you will be all right! Just stick an Obama sticker on the back of the steg-ride and you will blend right in.  

I DIGRESS...
    How does that work? Do you and Mrs Steg load up the back seat of the ride and Chitty- Chitty bang bang the car to the bay? If you do Chitty it, make sure you change the oil first or you might find your selves and then . But....after that you could just the rest of the way to the Bay!!!

Anyway...Congrats... I think......I mean........ + Bay area could = . ...who really says Congratulations for moving away from Hawaii?

BTW...Hi There! I made it all the way to the end of March

Gotta Go!
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:24pm by steelkings » Logged
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #85 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:17pm »

Congrats!!

Gotta go, though.  Hitler Youth Meeting again.  The RIGHT coast just keeps getting more and more interesting.  

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #86 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 12:10am »

Congrats Steg... you looking forward to being in Callie?    (Oops... I meant Cali! )
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #87 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 2:44am »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 12:10am, Philly wrote:
Congrats Steg... you looking forward to being in Callie? (Oops... I meant Cali! )

BLLLLLAAAAAAAAHHHH...

When I come up for air,... I'll answer the question...

But, anyway, thanks for the congrats...  Gino and I are really happy about having "direction" again.  This last year has really been an icky "limbo" period for me, for us.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #88 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 6:13am »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 2:30am, StegRock wrote:
Well, fellas, the verdicts are all in... But, first, I briefly digress... One of the main reasons you all haven't been seeing too much of me lately around here is because over the past three or so weeks I've been setting "things" in motion... I'm headed this fall to CIIS. Actually, after making targeted contacts, I ended up applying to only one other program. Only two (Philosophy/Philosophy & Religion programs, but not Religious Studies programs as I figured out that that was not the right academic environment for me) ended up being welcoming to my line of work (Classical Chinese Philosophy, Roman Catholic Personalist Phenomenology, and Tibetan Mahayana Prasangika-Madhyamaka Buddhism). In the end, all things considered, I am headed to the best place for me in terms of content and scholarly support.

There are also a couple details of my going to CIIS that could be good for here. They are going to take a couple classes worth of transfer credit from Catholic U. That means that instead of having to take four classes all four semesters (to complete the Ph.D. classroom requirements) I will be able to take just three classes two of those semesters, presumably the two fall semesters, which would free me up a little bit during the football season. So, once the BIG move from Oahu to the Bay area is over, the next couple falls should be markedly easier on me than the last three.

Finally, it is now official that I will be becoming the neighbor of, at least, Tony O. I also know that Jim has connections to the area, and O4l is not too far away. Any help and/or info that would help us with this, yet again, BIG move would be MUCH APPRECIATED. Steg will soon be back running "the Gridiron" from a reasonable time-zone. ... We'll see how this Jersey guy makes out over on the left coast, no less right in the libbo gauntlet of San Francisco, no less at the ultra-liberal California Institute of Integral Studies. ...

Well,... "Best laid plans",... not that the above has changed. The plan has just been "augmented". But, it seems as though I've spoken too soon about the auspiciousness of it all as it relates to Steggie, fall semester, fantasy football, and ultimately "the Gridiron". This unexpected "turn of events" is all good, I suppose, though the timing is quite a bit from optimal and, in any event, not according to plan. Thing is,... things are all now more complicated, and the BIG move we were already looking at now has unforeseen,... unforeseeable ramifications that are sweeping, as in affecting the WHOLE Stegeman clan in a HUGE way, i.e. very possibly including Momma Steg, a lifelong Monmouth County, New Jersey resident. The bottom line is that the priority list for the old Stegger is soon to get a HUGE new addition, which, in any event, is DEFINITELY going to shove "the Gridiron", especially as is after six full years, down the list. This is not to mention that I was a bit tendentious above regarding my (conspicuous) absence of late. Truth is that I look more forward to getting back to my (current, cover-to-cover) reading of the Mencius than even dropping by this, at one time most beloved, place. Hell,... I had to fight that urge right now in order to sit here and bang this out. I've knocked out three-and-a-half (dense) philosophy books and a (dense) full-length journal article over the last few months. My love of Philosophy and what I feel I can accomplish with my philosophical project (with people whose lives I have "direct" contact with and who can really "see" and "appreciate" "my way"/"what I am up to") is winning out over my love for fantasy football and what I feel I can accomplish here (with dudes in this disconnected milieu that doesn't lend itself to trustfulness, generosity and humility), and in light of this new "circumstance" third place means getting back-burnered much the same "The English Master" has been (a venture of mine which would have to be sent to the cryogenic lab while "the Gridiron" would go on life-support). Don't get me wrong... As long as the GBRFL exists, which I intend on its doing until my dying days, this place will at some capacity (like "theEnglishMaster.com"). The undeniable fact, however, is that, this new "circumstance" aside, as I've thought less and less about this place and what it takes me to keep it going, the more I've gotten back into enjoying my fantasy "toilet seat press conferences", giving thought more just to the league and,... eh-hem,... my team. But, this is all digression. I had been working on a thoughtful response to sk's "Where is the life" thread, and I will be posting that here soon, possibly tomorrow, despite this SERIOUS change in circumstances which will render much of that message moot or, at least, require most of it to be qualified. Nevertheless, I feel that I should throw it out there so everything is on the table and the decisions I make for and changes I make to the site going into the '08 season can be put into context and understood. The main point here, though, is that the straw,... eh-hem,... bale of hay that is going to break the camel's back is about to be dropped... This is in terms of both finances and life's "to-do list".
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2008, 6:15am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #89 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 8:00am »

(Thought this was about the best thread for me to make this post on,... especially, albeit peripherally, in light of my last couple of big posts on this thread...)

I thought this was worth posting considering some of the other "goings-on" around here...

Understand that, contrary to popular "opinion", philosophically I do not give a rat's ass WHAT you believe at the end of the day.  Again, contrary to what popular "opinion" probably is, I do NOT seek agreement,... never have.  All I seek is not to "agree to disagree" as a way out. ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #90 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 4:48am »

Picking up where I left off on my last post in "the Bleachers",... on the scholastic front, I have made a wonderful choice for my Ph.D. The California Institute of Integral Studies and their Philosophy and Religion - Asian and Comparative Studies program is perfect for me. I get to be somewhat of a big in a little pond. That ain't too bad. It's better than... / The fantastic support I am receiving from the faculty here is unlike what I could expect anywhere else. Dr. Wu, the Chinese Philosophy professor here and my academic advisor, has a personality and philosophical mindset very similar to that of Dr. Ni, the visiting professor at UH under whom I was able to write the Confucius-Wojtyla paper. We virtually finish one another's sentences. In particular, Dr. Wu's take on Confucius is almost exactly the same as mine. He terms Confucius's attitude toward "metaphysics" (using the term loosely) as one of wanting to "set it aside", not stand against it, be ignorant of it, deny it or work to eliminate it. For those of you who have waned philosophical with me about Confucius, you'd know that that is VERBATIM my stance. In my spiel about my proactive skepticism versus radical reactive Pyrrhonian or Cartesian skepticism I'm ALWAYS saying, "Set metaphysics aside." In my philosophy, for those of you with whom, again, I've done this dance, I'm constantly professing the paradox that it is precisely the setting aside of metaphysical beliefs that sustains metaphysical beliefs qua metaphysical beliefs. But, enough digressing... CIIS's genuine academic openness is exemplified by their rule that one of the three readers of your dissertation must be outside the department/school. What this means to me (in both senses), and I think I am correct, is that they provide (the) four main tracks of Eastern philosophical and religious thinking (faculty specialist in parentheses): Hinduism (Ryan), Theravada Buddhism (Sircar), Mahayana Buddhism (Goodman), and Chinese Philosophy (Wu). You then bring with you your source of comparison in the west and the scholar to go with it. For me, that could very well be my guy from back at Catholic U. The point is that there are no agendas at CIIS regarding the direction in which comparative philosophy should go like there were at UH! Furthermore, even though, given the specific nature of my area of interest and anticipated dissertational work, viz. confronting the problem of belief through the, I argue, resonant philosophical visions of Confucius, Wojtyla and Gyatso, a program in Philosophy and Religion (the only non-joint/-interdepartmental one in the nation mind you) with a concentration in Asian and Comparative Studies is perfect for me, when I hit the market, I will "spin" it as a, for all intents and purposes, Ph.D. in "Chinese Philosophy" (which is the main area most Philosophy Departments are interested in when it comes to Eastern thought) "with a heavy dose of Buddhism (which is typically the second area of Eastern interest in Philosophy Departments) by choice". In summation, it's ALL good.

On that "good"... , I do have a couple awesome announcements on the professional front. I may very well have mentioned this way back when it was "in the works" some 16 months ago (proof in the pudding of how slowly the wheels of academia turn), but, in any event, I have my very first professional academic publication coming out, a book review for China Review International. It went to print this past Wednesday, and I was sent my PDF tear sheets. If you are interested and want to give it a whirl, here it is exactly as it appears in this fall's issue of CRI: http://www.internetstitute.com/Stegeman-Chong.pdf. I believe, based on the pagination, that I am the very last piece in the journal. This is kind of cool. I don't get lost in the vast middle, and, if my memory serves me correctly, reviews cannot be in the very beginning as that is where responses to reviews go.

But, anyway, here's what may be the even bigger news. A cleaned-up, further hammered-out version of the Confucius-Wojtyla paper I presented at the conference at UH in Comparative Philosophy has been ACCEPTED for publication by the journal The Pluralist. UNbelievable!!! Again, though, as further testament to the excruciatingly slow rate at which the wheels of academia turn, it is slated for publication next fall or the following spring. Oh, well... It just feels SO GOOD, vis-a-vis what happened to me at UH, to have received this academic stamp of approval from an outside, objective group of scholars. For those who missed out last time or want to read the new-and-improved version, here is the manuscript I submitted to The Pluralist: http://www.internetstitute.com/Stegeman-manuscript-Pluralist.pdf. It includes a 100-word abstract in the beginning on the title page which you gamers here may appreciate. As they say in academia, it's publish or perish. I'm getting out of the gate as a Ph.D. student well... despite all the setbacks/people setting me back. As Nietzsche might say, but in my words, "There are no excuses and pity, just undergoing and overcoming."
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009, 4:05am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #91 on: Dec 10th, 2008, 9:44pm »

I just received my two hard copies of the edition of CRI my review is in... The nascent stages of a publishing career... In my post above, I was wrong about the pagination of the journal.  "Vol. 14 no. 2", the one my review is in, picks up where "vol. 14 no. 1" left off, so mine is in the middle.  Oh, well...  It's all good...  Most of it will be being searched and accessed through some on-line resource like MUSE or JSTOR or something.  But, it does feel good to hold that hard copy in my hands. I'm very proud,... especially vis-a-vis the circumstances (if you recall)...  I think I have a strong chin.  Anyway, following the link below, scroll down to the eighth piece under "Reviews", or just do a "find" for "Steg":

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/china_review_international/toc/cri.14.2.htm l.

It's a start...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #92 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:55am »

This is in specific response to this...

on Mar 22nd, 2009, 7:25am, DirkDiggler wrote:
So does this mean Utah is in your future in some shape, way, or form?

It'll also put this in context...

on Jan 25th, 2009, 12:53am, StegRock wrote:
If you knew what I've been up against (in my personal/professional life) the last couple weeks, you'd more than understand.

While researching for a paper at the end of last semester, I came across a scholar up my alley and, after sniffing around, a program in which I strongly believed I could be a good fit (not Utah). After some soul-searching, I felt with just one semester down and three to go this was the very last time for me to explore my grad-school options. But, right out of the gate, I ran into a devastating setback. My GRE scores had (just) expired. I had taken it in June, 2003. ETS only keeps the scores for five years, at which time they are completely purged from their systems. There is an outside chance, ETS said, that you can get your scores forwarded from one institution to another. I looked into this "option" and realized that this was MUCH easier said than done. Bottom line, I was going to have to retake the GRE... on extraordinarily short notice... in cramped quarters... with a newborn... and a full house of visiting mothers and mother-in-laws... For those of you old-timers around here, remember back when I devoted six-plus months to studying for the GRE and doing little else. This was going to be a nightmare. After MUCH contemplation, I concluded that it was not worth it or, at least, not doable.

This was the decision to which I stuck and, then, around January 5th my final grade for fall semester was posted. I had achieved a 4.0 for the semester (my first since undergrad). Given my age, all things considered, this was it for me. There wasn't going to be another one more time for me to consider another school. After MORE deliberation with my wife, we came to the conclusion, i.e., she convinced me, to let the GRE score make my decision for me. In other words, study for it only enough to refamiliarize myself with the format but not so much that I felt committed. After all, I'm already in a Ph.D. program with which I am generally happy. Well, this resulted in three days of hell, January 12th through the 14th. I just couldn't half-ass it. It's not in my nature. Thing is, I limited myself/was limited to three days, so that was a de facto cap on what I could put into it. Anyway, I took it on the 15th and did very well, enough to not just consider applying to the program that prompted all this but others as well.

In all, I applied to seven programs. As the results came in, it was more of the usual. Based on at least a couple of the schools whence I received rejections, I thought for sure I was down to at best one school where I had a chance because the others, including Utah, were all more highly-ranked in my estimation. And, then, last Thursday came... On my way out to a job interview, I open the mailbox. It's another very thin envelope obviously containing a single letter. It's from Utah. I'm thinking, well, I know what this is. I'll just quickly open it; put it back in the mailbox, and retrieve it with the mail when I get back home. Then, I read,... "We are very pleased to inform you..." My heart almost came up out of my throat as I ran up the stairs yelling out, "Gino! Gino!" She thought that my clumsy ass had fallen and that I hurt myself. Guys, I got into the University of Utah's Ph.D. program in Philosophy! The letter was an announcement e-mail the Department of Philosophy sends out to let you know of the decision and that the packet from the Graduate School will be coming shortly.

Now, they await my decision, which needs to be in by April 15th. Who'd a thunk it? I can't believe it. I have two applications still pending, but, reality is, all things equal, only one of the two can really contend with Utah. As for CIIS, they have been wonderful. I have similar feelings toward them as I do toward Catholic U. I have nothing but love for them. I have received a wonderful education in the stuff I am specifically interested in over the last year as I could nowhere else, and surely the 4.0 was a big additional feather in my cap. But, it would be foolish of me not to jump on this one-last-time-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

In any event, the moral of the story... never, NEVER give up!!! Between how I finally got into Hawaii and now this, if this isn't proof, I don't know what is! WHAT a turn of events... I'm still overwhelmed...
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:14pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #93 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:57pm »

WOW, CONGRATS STEG!!!  

Very impressive on so many levels. Doing so well on your GREs(with only a few days of studying), getting into a great program, pursuing your dreams, never giving up, and being able to give Hawaii the big F.U.  

I am happy for you and the family!!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #94 on: Mar 24th, 2009, 4:18pm »

Thanks for the support, Double D!  Get this...  I just got a second acceptance today...  I don't know if old Chucky and The Rick are poking around, but it would probably put a smile on their faces seeing that I got into Southern Illinois University Carbondale!
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #95 on: Mar 26th, 2009, 6:53am »

Congrats to you Steg   !!!!  Carbondale is a great place to be right now, lots of building projects over the next year...new football stadium going up and a revamped basketball arena.  Also a new student services building in the plans at location of old Andrews football stadium.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #96 on: Mar 31st, 2009, 11:48pm »

Congrats Steg!!! I know that you and I have had many talks about your long term education goals. I am so happy for you to get what you want. I also am very proud of you for not giving up. Just like I told you with Hawaii, keep working and good things will come!!
Good for you bro!!!

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #97 on: Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:00am »

Thank you very much for the support, Joe. Your message that I came home to tonight also was very nice.

Anyway, everybody, there is some new news to report...  The Salukis have, at least at the moment, pulled ahead of the Utes in the race here (I can hear the cheers coming from the Hamilton and Gould households as I type this.  Or, are those jeers? ).  That is based on a couple factors, but, honestly, most notably, a "bottom-line" factor, namely... I'm not going to divulge details, at least not for now.  But, suffice it to say, the difference in funding must be great to allow SIU to leapfrog Utah, the current #1 school in Chinese Philosophy (according to the PGR) as I mentioned up in "the Bleachers".  Things monetarily related could still change with Utah, mind you, but I'm not optimistic.  Things, in any case, are really getting interesting.  In fact, the California Institute of Integral Studies, my present school, with all this stuff going on unbeknownst to them because I haven't told anybody over there yet (which is killing me, mind you), out of the blue offered me a Research Assistantship today.  While, with the scholarship I received from them, the funding is starting to add up, vis-a-vis the ridiculous tuition, it still doesn't even put them in second ahead of Utah.  Though, it does kind of put them in third and, at least symbolically, back in the race.  Also of note, there still remains one pending application, which could take the cake,... but I'm not holding my breath.  This has been a fun ride, though.  I'm so happy my wife cajoled me into going for it.  I'm so fortunate to be surrounded by such a supportive wife... and mother.  I know many a 30-something wife, no less with a newborn, who wouldn't be hearing of this.  I'm a lucky dude! ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #98 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 1:01am »

Update... I found out on Friday that I've been wait-listed at UConn. This just about seals the deal for SIU because, when funding is involved, there are no deadline extensions. They want people who want to come, and, if you don't really want to go, they want to give that money to someone who does. It makes sense. UConn advised me to wait up until April 14th as they set the same deadline for their first wave of offers. However, even if the news were good, that would give me absolutely NO time to "interrogate" the profs I foresee myself working closely with, and the following response to one of my interrogation e-mails to SIU is what they've got to compete with:

"Welcome, Steve, to SIUC's graduate program! I'll look forward to meeting you when you arrive on campus. I'm puzzled, though, by your inquiry: what would lead you to think that your interests in "belief" and Personalism would not be welcomed here, especially since "belief" is central to classical American pragmatism, the main strength of our program, and "The Pluralist," the main journal for Personalist philosophy, is edited by my colleague Dr. Auxier? Moreover, our department has a long history of encouraging comparative East-West philosophy--indeed, it was perhaps the 1st graduate program in America to do so. I work in both the Pragmatist and Personalist traditions, and from my interest in Max Scheler, on whom I wrote my dissertation, I also have worked on Wojtyla and have used his works in my writings & seminars, most recently one on "European Personalism." (As a graduate student at DePaul University I was the research assistant for the late Manfred Frings while he edited Wojtyla's philosophical writings, & I was among those philosophers who met with JPII at the Vatican on the occasion of the publication of the English translation of "The Acting Person.") Indeed, I'm not aware of any Ph.D. program in America that would be more welcoming of your interests."

I'll let that speak (the volumes I think it does) for itself. And, then, the guy who does Chinese Philosophy at SIU followed that up with a supportive e-mail that if it were double-spaced with one-inch margins would have probably amounted to about a three-page paper. ... Funding notwithstanding, do I really have a choice here?
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2009, 6:53pm by Stegfucius » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #99 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 11:00pm »

Steg,  Bring your marrrroon colored shirts!  The Egyptian Dawgs are ready to growl.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  9 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.