In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:44am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Moving of threads on "the Gridiron"

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Umpire, Head Linesman, Side Judge, Line Judge, Back Judge, Replay Official, Field Judge, Referee)
   Moving of threads on "the Gridiron"
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Moving of threads on "the Gridiron"  (Read 883 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Moving of threads on "the Gridiron"
« on: Jan 13th, 2003, 11:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fellas,

This is an important issue as I do not want the extra "effort" I am putting into this to be miscontrued, in an offhand manner, to be anything but an attempt at maintaining order and, thus, a fun environment for us all to enjoy for years to come.  So, I implore all of you to go check out the following thread, BUT continue the discussion regarding "moving threads," if need be, HERE and repond to KJ 76's original query there so as not to clutter up his thread:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=56;a ction=display;num=1042515819.

Thank you!
ugley
GM
# 52

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

Re: Moving of threads on "the Gridiron"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 9:00am »

Head em up-Move em out! (RAWHIDE!!!)

I was framed, I never do nothin wrong but every time I get the blame, I was framed!!!!!
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 3:32pm »

I've always had a hard time interpreting things, correctly, so forgive me if I post  a thread in the wrong board from time to time. Please don't kill me!!  
ScreamingWeasel

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 5:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OK. I may have over-reacted. But the jury's still out on that because I've been here exactly ONE day.

Wouldn't a reminder, or an "e" mail about where to post, especially for new members, be a better 1st step than "OK fellows you should all know by now"?
"Now" for me is one day.
And a comment like that will not produce the best response from me.

I agree with whoever said they make mistakes and "please don't kill me".

If you seriously want to improve the site:
Get off the 7-8 lines of the absolute smallest itallic text I have ever seen that describe the various boards.
Just a suggestion.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:39pm »

To SW:
cc Everybody:

I have been VERY kindhearted about this, but I am starting to lose patience with you(r attitude).  First off, you tendentiously only make reference to the second of the two posts by Referee.  In the first thread that was moved, he very reasonably stated,
"Please refer to the board descriptions and the following thead for an explanation of what is about to happen:  

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1042519004!  

Thank you for your anticipated understanding and cooperation!"

Actually, the same kind of concluding "thank you" was in both of the messages.  You seem to forget that part and only make reference to that which you want to tendentiously reference.  Anyway, the second message, as there were two moves in a row there, was written, yes, a tad more tersely, but also tongue-in-cheek.

At any rate, after the melee yesterday, I humbly sent SW the following e-mail:

ScreamingWeasel,

I assure you that you will never receive a personal e-mail, a plea, like this from another site administrator.  I am trying to make "the Gridiron", which I just opened in August of 2002, a great place for years to come.  To accomplish this, you need organization.  I am also trying to give it a more personal touch.  That is why I care enough to even be writing you right now.  You were posting some good stuff.  I like that and I could really see you as being a significant part of the development of our fledgling forum.  Just keep it in the back of your mind that a good on-line message-board environment needs organization and that my staffers and I are just trying to achieve that and you will be fine.  There is no implicit personal attack when a moderator does his job.  Having to deal with egomaniacs, particularly egomaniacal moderators, as you mention, does occur at other sites and is exactly why we have anonymous moderating on "the Gridiron".  I also implore you to see the latest response on your thread:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1042673127.

Thanks for your contributions heretofore!  And, I hope to see you again on "the Gridrion"!  Be in touch!  I am...

...Sincerely,
Steve Stegeman a.k.a. StegRock

Fair enough, right?  More than fair!  Over and above the call of duty, actually!  What was his reply?  His snide, PUBLIC post above! Thankless jackass!

SW, you obviously have neither the slightest understanding of or APPRECIATION for ALL THE WORK that goes into running a web site and forum like this, moreover, ALL FOR NOTHING other than the enjoyment of it, nor the according humility/humbleness and diplomacy/etiquette to be used when a person is providing something to you and looking for NOTHING (actual) in return.  You are one of these "know it all's" who is full of suggestions that lack any (real) perspective (of a specific situation)!  Listen, as you said, you have been here for all of one day (posting at least, you actually registered 4 days ago).  You don't have a clue about the history around here, how and why this place came to be, who I am and what means I am working with, who all the other players are, etc., etc., and how it all relates to the way this place was set up.  Before taking the time to learn those kinds of things, you barge in with your own set of rules.  The bottom line is I have done the best I can with the time and means at my disposal.  Sure, to improve this site, as you so cavalierly state, I could listen to each and every Tom, Dick and Harry's opinion on the site and according suggestions and then hire the best webmaster in the biz to overhaul my site incorporating each and every suggestion.  Unfortunately, I don't have 20 or 30+ G's to drop on this project.  I suppose I could just quit my job, the rest of my life for that matter, and spend the 10,000+ hours it would take to do it myself.  But, you know what... after all that time and/or money, there would still be some asshole in the crowd to find fault with something.  So, what do I do alternatively?  I continue slowly plowing ahead day in and day out when I have FREE time, honing and making small improvements as I go along in the hopes that someday I will get this place to where I want it, no less to where you or anybody else wants it.  But, again, let's not forget... this is an absolutely FREE forum, not one ad of any kind.  I do not make a dime off of this and cannot anticipate when I might.  Actually, all I do is spend time and money (on server fees).  Thus, I am not REALLY due any carping.

Regarding a specific query of yours, the small italicized board descriptions, look, that's a default setting of the program.  Yea, I could probably take the few hours/days figuring out how to change it.  But, this is one of those subjective things (like my color scheme).  I go and change that font to one size bigger and that will throw the interface out of whack, i.e., the page will be longer and people will have to scroll more.  And, you know what... another jerkoff, who basically has no understanding of what it takes to run a message-board forum, will tell me that the font in my message board descriptions needs to reduced because (in a whiny tone) "I have to scroll too much."  The bottom line is this is something you can take care of for yourself on your end by CHANGING YOUR SCREEN RESOLUTION!  As for your e-mail thing, yea, that's another JOB I could do (you seem to know all the work I should do), but you know what... at least half the folks don't even read greeting e-mails or e-mails like that with much scrutiny.  Let's face it!  What you really want are smaller, easier-and-quicker-to-read message-board descriptions in a bigger font.  That would provide you with the ambiguity you need to post whatever you want wherever you want.  Unfortunately, it would also open the door to deterioration of the forum like has happened so prevalently elsewhere.  And...  Now we go in circles, circles!  Now we go in circles, circles!

Maybe, just maybe, I could tailor everything to each individual in here individually.  I could make boards of every color, all different sized fonts, heck, all different kinds of fonts, e-mails when each person wants one, personalized smiley sets, text-only environments, high-resolution graphics environments... I could then be ruler of the world of fantasy football message board forums, mu-ah-ha-ha-ha! So, who's the egomaniac here, SW?  Is it the guy who plows ahead every day, doing the best he can with the means he has, offering of his time, and a little money too, to make an on-line gathering place for like-minded people to enjoy without looking for anything in return OR the guy who's spent all of ONE day at said site, flips out and finds fault with the aforementioned guy's work?

Listen, SW, I am realizing that I am not even writing this to you specifically anymore as I am pretty much considering you a lost cause on whose deaf ears this is going to fall.  Actually, I am writing this for everybody else but you, so those of you who have kindhearted, humble, reasonable, secure and understanding dispositions can know more about whence I, as the site's developer, am coming.  Thank you for your time!  I am...

...Your Friend in Fantasy Football,
Steve a.k.a. StegRock
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2003, 12:35am »

on Jan 16th, 2003, 1:39pm, StegRock wrote:
Regarding a specific query of yours, the small italicized board descriptions, look, that's a default setting of the program.  Yea, I could probably take the few hours/days figuring out how to change it.  But, this is one of those subjective things (like my color scheme).  I go and change that font to one size bigger and that will throw the interface out of whack, i.e., the page will be longer and people will have to scroll more.  And, you know what... another jerkoff, who basically has no understanding of what it takes to run a message-board forum, will tell me that the font in my message board descriptions needs to reduced because (in a whiny tone) "I have to scroll too much."  The bottom line is this is something you can take care of for yourself on your end by CHANGING YOUR SCREEN RESOLUTION!

Now, take this quote from a thread over in "the Red Zone":

on Feb 17th, 2003, 11:03pm, dropkick wrote:
As far as (the site's) readability, it's the small white font on the green background and the amount of scrolling to read a topic.  Maybe the font size depends on a desktop setting...

Here's the link:
http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=55;a ction=display;num=1045447203

I mean how much more exactly could I have put it!  It's downright scary!

Anyway, on a lighter topic, the same rule stands for all of fantasy football...  Don't over-disect!  Just do your homework and say it the way it is!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.