In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 5:27am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Offseason on "the Gridiron"

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Offseason on "the Gridiron"
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Offseason on "the Gridiron"  (Read 5468 times)
MordecaiCourage

Email

Re: Offseason on "the Gridiron"
« Reply #125 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 6:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 7th, 2006, 5:49pm, StegRock wrote:
I digress... just briefly...

Just checkin',... Do all you guys have your "the Gridiron/FantasyFootballer.com" icon on your desktops???

I set mine up a little while back...it looks great.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #126 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all,... just bringin' this over here so people know what you're talkin' about, MC, and I can get the word out more and garner more feedback...

on Aug 7th, 2006, 5:49pm, StegRock wrote:
I digress... just briefly...

Just checkin',... Do all you guys have your "the Gridiron/FantasyFootballer.com" icon on your desktops??? (Mine is the third one down in the far-right column...)

To get it, all you have to do is bookmark whatever page you want @ FantasyFootballer.com, FFPro.com, FFPlayers.com or any of our domains, StegsList.com, and when it appears in your browser's address bar, drag it off onto your desktop... Do remember, though, that whatever page it is that you bookmarked will be the one that your desktop icon will link to!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #127 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:51pm »

Next,...

on Aug 7th, 2006, 4:27pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:

Little pig, little pig, let me in..... Or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'l blow that locked site in!!!

...you won't have to huff and puff to get in.  You'll be able to let yourself in... ...soon, might I add!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #128 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 6:04am »

Well, these projects (which involve all kinds of technical computer work) ALWAYS take longer than can be anticipated (by a self-made web-developer hack)...  One little technical snafu with a project of THIS magnitude, and what I thought would take 30 or so minutes ends up taking 3 HOURS. Needless to say, in my effort to get every little detail in order, which needs to be done when you take it up to "this notch" as those of you who partake in the fruits of StegsList.com will understand, I ran into numerous tiny snafus that needed to be dealt with and not ignored.  This project could not be gone about in an "unprofessional" and "insecure" manner.  Anyway, it WILL debut sometime today, Tuesday, August 8th.  I'm basically done.  About an hour more of work left, so, worse case scenario, three hours.  Most importantly, all the hairy technical stuff is behind me. Brace yourselves!
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #129 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 9:13am »

Hold on to your butts!!!

When a defining moment comes...you can either define the moment or let the moment define you!!
rickgpin
GM
# 487

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #130 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 12:12pm »

had it on my desktop for awhile.  looking good!

Ozark Hellbenders:TBD
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #131 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 2:54pm »

on Aug 8th, 2006, 12:12pm, rickgpin wrote:
had it on my desktop for awhile. looking good!

I did fix and replace the original-original icon...  If you downloaded the VERY first one I uploaded, you got a flawed one.  You may want to "re-place"...

The arrival of Steg's List will be VERY SOON upon us, boyz and girlz...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #132 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 11:38pm »

Well,... it's been a looooong, five-day-long "day" for the old Stegger here... But, I just went through it all and "beta-tested" it tooth-and-comb, and, after just one last snafu,... IT ALL works!!! Guys,... the countdown is upon us...  To be honest,... right now, I just look forward to going to bed... ... ... But, I do look forward to waking up to some,... well,... "love"...  (Actually, I am too to fall asleep right away, and I have to go out and pick up Gino soon, anyway, so... I'll be up for a little while longer. )
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #133 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 11:41pm »

StegsList.com is LIVE!!! ENJOY!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #134 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 12:13am »

SO,... who's gonna be the first in...???  I wonder...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #135 on: Aug 19th, 2006, 6:04pm »

I'm brewin' up just a little something else, one last thing for yous right before fall semester begins for me here on Monday... It'll be launched here today.  I've always felt, after seeing a (floundering) site that provides such a service (at DOUBLE the price I'll be asking), that, as far as providing pay services to my fellow fantasy footballers goes, I was cut out for THIS more than anything else... ... and I believe that's saying A LOT!  Anyway, once that is up, I'll get our second "Huddle" rollin' "between the 20's".  It should all be comin' at yous no later than midnight tonight EST. ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #136 on: Aug 20th, 2006, 8:23am »

Famous last words...  The key word in my post above was "should"... Over EIGHT hours later... and... IT'S UP,... my last "BIG" addition for the '06 offseason... as I head back to the classroom and back to hittin' the books full-time.  Here I am in Hawaii and wifey-poo and I didn't hit the beach all damn summer.  It's a great place to read, so... Anyway, enjoy having "Stegmissioner" at your service this season!  Check it out at:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/stegmissioner.htm.

The link up in the header area is over to the right right next to the "Add 'the Gridiron' to your site" link! Enjoy, boyz and girlz!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #137 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 9:07pm »

Well, fellas, I got great news. You may remember that last year we were getting BOMBARDED with spam. Around the end of last season, when I had the time to deal with it, I made a move that stemmed spammers' posting on the boards. (Yeah, Steg! Thank you!) However, preventing spambots from registering is quite another task. Implementing CAPTCHA registration protection (you know, the method that uses images of squirrely letters and numbers you have to type in to be passed on) is VERY DIFFICULT [I'm still working on that, this current band-aid solution notwithstanding, and it seems like the only CAPTCHA program I may end up being able to implement all by my lonesome is far from the strongest as it seems like the stronger they are the harder they are to install/the more they cost; I'm trying to do all this stuff with available FREEBIES when really at this point, I probably need to be hiring a computer programmer (yea, right... as if...)], and digging through code for a non-computer scientist is, well, digging through code for a non-computer scientist, which is what I am. It is TIME-CONSUMING, hair-pulling nightmare.

BUT, ALL of that having been said, it appears that I've been successful implementing a VERY behind-the-scenes method to stem the influx of spambots joining "the Gridiron", a modification to the code. We should be back to a "normal" registration rate of "real" members as of 6:15 this evening (EST), member #9042, JustCheckin, which is me doing testing (actually, so is member #9040, Testman; one last spambot slid in there during my working on this today, member #9041). So, as long as things return to "normal" here, I think I've got them beaten, at least for now. The next 24 or so hours will be crucial. JustCheckin has been our newest member for almost THREE HOURS now,... so it's lookin' good...

Also, one of the great residual effects of this will be on member numbers. Day in and day out I am going to whittle our member count back down, and when I've got it back down roughly to our real members, I'm going to reset the member numbers! So, many of you will inherit (MUCH) better member numbers because of this, and, once again, we will have a member count that is more truly reflective of our community. Again, though, in terms of WORK on Steggie, whittling this back down from 9042 to roughly about 550, when the spambots began to come in droves, is going to take A LOT of TIME,... just to make it clear,... "MY" TIME. NOTE, to the immediate skeptics out there,... there is NO quick, painless way to do this. I don't quite have to delete them one-by-one, but I will have to "tick" them one-by-one and in the process be making sure I don't delete any real accounts, and the batches really can't be done for much more than 25 or so accounts in a batch for fear of the system's becoming too busy and timing out and my efforts' being lost and, perhaps, even screwing things up because of partial deletions of account files because of the system's timing out. If my efforts here to stem the flow of spambot registrations are successful, I'll start the deletions of bogus accounts soon.

So,... moving right along,... frankly speaking,... if you want to show your generosity and appreciation of my efforts (again), NOW would surely be a good time,... especially since the donations rate this year has been pretty lackluster as have the sign-ups over at StegsList.com!!! It's when I put HOURS,... nay,... DAYS into something like this behind the scenes when my skin gets really thin and hypersensivity toward appreciation and cheapness really kicks in,... especially when I'm DEFINITELY workin' yet again in the RED here this year. Again, NOW would be a great time to give just a little bit (more) back by either "Making a Donation" or signing up over at "Steg's List". Don't look over your shoulders to see who's going to step up... Just look straight ahead in the mirror and you will clearly see a person in a position to step up and lend "the Gridiron" and the old Stegger a hand...

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:52pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #138 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 12:21am »

Well, guys and gals, as of late last night registration on "the Gridiron" is also protected by CAPTCHA spambot protection.  You know... the squiggly alphanumeric image code thingamajig so prevelant these days.  If you want to see it in action, go check out our registration page:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=;act ion=register.

(If you are wondering,... yes,... there are more difficult-to-read images that can be implemented... if need be.  Right now, given our current "fame", I think the default images that came with the initial download were sufficient.)

If you are interested in the technical and logistical details and, in general, just giving yourself greater perspective on (and, perhaps, a greater, more "substantive" appreciation of) it all, visit here:

http://www.boardmod.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=new_mods_beta;action=display; num=1186784585.

I just can't wait to start whittling away those bogus spam accounts.  I'm think I'm going to delete some tonight, in fact.  Se la vie, spam losers!!!

Seriously, on the technical side of things, ridding ourselves of these some 8,500 accounts will REALLY cut down on the resources we're using.

on Aug 8th, 2007, 9:07pm, StegRock wrote:
So,... moving right along,... frankly speaking,... if you want to show your generosity and appreciation of my efforts (again), NOW would surely be a good time,... especially since the donations rate this year has been pretty lackluster as have the sign-ups over at StegsList.com!!!  It's when I put HOURS,... nay,... DAYS into something like this behind the scenes when my skin gets really thin and hypersensivity toward appreciation and cheapness really kicks in,... especially when I'm DEFINITELY workin' yet again in the RED here this year. Again, NOW would be a great time to give just a little bit (more) back by either "Making a Donation" or signing up over at "Steg's List".  Don't look over your shoulders to see who's going to step up...  Just look straight ahead in the mirror and you will clearly see a person in a position to step up and lend "the Gridiron" and the old Stegger a hand...

This is a BIG job done!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #139 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 10:39pm »

Well, this is going to take forever,... but we're back down below 9,000 members...  It's such a rush pushing that "Delete" button...  BUT, this is going to take quite some time...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #140 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 6:00pm »

What a GREAT feeling it was to see a REAL member join today!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #141 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 6:30pm »

Offseason,... in-season,... the behind-the-scenes work on "the Gridiron", especially anymore, is constantly ongoing.  We finally are back to a member count more reflective of the number of people who "truly" joined the site:  638.  This is, of course, not our "active" member count, and I'm sure it's probably not absolutely precise.  Those who made the cut were those that "looked", at a glance, albeit a somewhat circumspect one, "real".  But, I had to bring it down from some roughly 9,500.  It was a nightmare...  But, that's how it broke down according to my eyeballing it.  In any event, at this point everything is in sync, and member numbers have been reset according to the new "more correct" count.  Check yours out,... especially you relative late-comers.  It may have, probably has if you are the latter, changed.  In any case, the next member to join will be member #638.  Bottom line, it all has a more "real" feel to it, which makes me feel better (about the appearance of the site). ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #142 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 11:19pm »

Whew... Well, the '08 offseason on "the Gridiron" has, alas, officially commenced in earnest.  All has officially been wrapped up for the '07 campaign.  What a season it's been.  The last two have been rough on me, I cannot tell a lie.  I sincerely hope that things make a turn for the better this year. [There will be more to come on that front on the "WHERE'S THE LIFE" thread when I can get around to it as well as relevant news on the personal front (or should I say... then ) on the "Steegie-san" thread.]  In any case, if any of yous notice any cliffhangers, things that I missed updating, mainly as regards listing the champions of the various leagues where I typically do so, PLEASE LET ME KNOW (right here).  Thank you for another year on "the Gridiron".  Here's to a smoother, more pain-free and progressive 2008.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #143 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 6:24am »

"the Gridiron" is about to get a facelift, quite literally, here very soon...
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #144 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 10:33am »

on Jun 11th, 2008, 6:24am, StegRock wrote:
"the Gridiron" is about to get a facelift, quite literally, here very soon...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #145 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 5:23pm »

We shall see...  (Of course, I think it is...  At least, I think it is very necessary.)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #146 on: Jun 12th, 2008, 5:51am »

This post is actually a continuation of sorts of a post I just made on the "Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent" thread.  If you haven't yet read that post, you probably want to do so so as to situate yourself.  Here is a direct link to that page:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1091218912;start=125.

All,... the scale-backs going on on "the Gridiron" are occurring for a variety of reasons, some specific as is partially the case with, say, the FF-specific team reports, some general and more philosophical as will be elaborated on here.

It is time for us to go "back to the future", to recover the original, I like to think, brilliant "inside-out" idea of building a web site around a message-board forum instead of the bass-ackwards way it has evolved... as the free appendage which almost inevitably ends up taking over for the extant information web site for which it was just supposed to drive up traffic.  The first step in accomplishing this, we got to get back to the old-school basics.  We have got to focus our energies back on the boards, especially the big three, "the Red Zone", "between the 20's" and "the Sidelines".  So, as this scale-back takes place in some areas of the site, there are aspects I hope we scale back up, old staples such as our "Red Zone PRIMED Players for the Week" and "Mirages of the Week" threads and "between the 20's MVP" and "Bitchin'" threads.

More importantly, philosophically, the reality is that the message board fosters a sense of team and facilitates a team effort that, let's face it, a lot of the rest of the stuff does NOT.  We need to get back to the stuff that was making us so successful, not necessarily in a numbersy way, WHICH IS JUST FINE, but rather in more substantive ways like in terms of camaraderie, commitment and loyalty, back during our first couple years of existence here on "the Gridiron".

Additionally, the time is right for this scale-back, not just from the perspective of (the health of) the site as a whole, but also, I think, on a personal level for a lot of us.  This will allow US ALL, and especially the old Stegger, doctor-and-daddy-to-be, to breath just a little easier this season.  We need it!  I DEFINITELY DO!  That having been said, the phrase "throw in the towel" is not in my vocabulary.  My coursework will, alas, be all done, anticipatively, in just two years, four semesters...  At that point, I hope to start ratcheting things back UP!!!  Having learned from experience, though, I would suspect, windfall aside, I will go about turning back up the volume more mindfully and slowly.  I will only move the site as far ahead as finances permit, and I do not mean this just on a coarse level.  I mean this more subtly, for example, better considering the proverbial "bigger picture" ramifications, both direct and indirect, of relying on a staff of volunteer writers.  Another more concrete way of stating things, the steps will be very small until the MAGAZINE and my marketing plan can get off the ground.  Don't worry...  I'm not going to get back on that box.  But, again, windfall or, I suppose, my biting the bullet aside, the latter of which with a... on the way and full-time... & for two more years is unlikely anytime soon, the core members of "the Gridiron" are going to need to buy into, so to speak, the power of pooling financial resources and step up financially if this thing is going to be taken to the next level... all aboard.  If yous just wait for me to do it, it, frankly speaking, is probably not going to happen the way you "hope"/might "expect".  (Okay, note to self,... step down...  This is a waste of time.  It's the past.  It's why we are here,... explaining the scale-back.)  In the meantime, thanks to the scale-backs, let's get back to the basics and have some fun again... ON THE BOARDS!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #147 on: Aug 20th, 2008, 9:35pm »

Guys and gals, just to clarify... in light of this offseason's "going-on"...  I'm BURNT!  AND, to make things worse, I'm presently hoeing a tough row in my personal life.  At least for the time being, I simply just can't handle and shoulder the burden of all the extra free stuff... or "pay" stuff for that matter (i.e. StegsList.com),... that is beyond the three main boards and the regular features that take place on them like the "Red Zone PRIMED Players of the Week" threads.  I just hope that you all are understanding me and "are understanding" of me and don't really think abandoning the site here when the going has gotten a little tough is a good option. I'm just tired... and have a tough nut to crack in my personal life.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.