In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 6:13pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron NFL "issues"

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   NFL "issues"
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NFL "issues"  (Read 20358 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: NFL "issues"
« Reply #225 on: May 19th, 2011, 6:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Amidst the mad(dening)ness, this (a sane voice in the crowd?) seemed to be worth posting here.  From "The REAL Feed":

Giants owner John Mara warns of chaos if players' strategy succeeds
USA TODAY: NFL (19.05.2011 16:03)
New York Giants co-owner John Mara is warning that the players' strategy in the labor impasse, if successful, would lead to NFL chaos. Mara wrote ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #226 on: Jun 10th, 2011, 11:47am »

Oh, no, not again...  This time from the other side...  From "The REAL Feed":

Hawaii governor says $4 million 'bribe' for Pro Bowl is wasteful
NFL.com (10.06.2011 09:37)
Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said Thursday it's "so stupid" that the cash-strapped state pays millions to play host to the Pro Bowl when the money could be used for education.

F'n Democrat!  Notice that there is NO mention of how much the Pro Bowl brings into the economy... and, yes, the government by way of sales tax and ultimately income tax.  Just overgeneralized bleeding-heart liberalism about, of course, the poor children... as if pouring more money into education has proven to be the answer to our educational woes... NOT!  It will just end up being more money this guy's cronies in education administration will be lining their wallets with.  And, so goes round the merry-go-round of obfuscationist leftist politics, that is to say, shell games.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #227 on: Jun 13th, 2011, 7:13am »

This is the latest update/tidbit that I found. It is from the great guys at PFW:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/06/09/report-of-lockout-ending-is- premature-but-signs-of

More info around July4th would be great!!!  

I read in another article that the "framework" for a deal would take about 2 weeks to put together. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'll take this as good news...considering there is "no news."

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #228 on: Jun 15th, 2011, 8:57pm »

I found something else. This is actually one of the "main topics" for the players. Take a peak and be informed.  

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jeff-Pash-Owners-have-offered-90perc ent-cash-guarantee.html

DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #229 on: Jul 7th, 2011, 3:49pm »

I found another nugget about the lockout.  
This article says July 15th is the drop dead day to not lose any preseason games.  
Take a look and update yourself:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_745570. html

I'm hoping for a deal this weekend or early next week!!!!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #230 on: Jul 8th, 2011, 2:13pm »

There will be no injunction; lockout declared legal... according to "The REAL Feed":

8th U.S. Circuit Court rules in favor of NFL, says lockout legal
NFL.com (08.07.2011 11:46)
The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has thrown out a judge's order lifting the NFL lockout, handing theleague a key victory.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2011, 2:15pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #231 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 11:40am »

Let's get current on the lockout situation... From "The REAL Feed":

NFL owners ratify new CBA proposal
The Sports Network: NFL (21.07.2011 23:23)

Next, hearkening to my rants on the "Politics thread", you tell me the overabundance of lawyers (needing jobs), especially UNION lawyers as in this case, isn't ruining our country. They waste no time tainting the thinking of their constituency, that is, the players by immediately predisposing them against the owners' agreement.  Remember the longer this drags out, can be dragged out, the more billable hours they can put in for.  Anyway, get this union lawyer rabble-rousing right out of the gate of the owners' vote...

NFLPA shows displeasure with league in email to player reps
NFL.com (21.07.2011 23:17)
The NFLPA sent an email out to player representatives Thursday night, in the hours following the owners' 31-0 vote to ratify a settlement proposal that would end the four-month-old lockout, detailing the issues it had with the potential deal.

Then, in response the Pied Piper lawyer-led lemmings respond, marching in lockstep...

NFL players sound off on Twitter
New York Daily News: Sports - Football (21.07.2011 23:20)
NFL players had plenty to say after the owners announced they had voted to ratify the proposed collective bargaining agreement. Jets CB Antonio Cromartie, Saints RB Heath Evans, Redskins DE Vonnie Holliday and many more took to Twitter to sound off. Let's just say the players were displeased....
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:12pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #232 on: Aug 10th, 2011, 1:41pm »

Don't know if this is good or bad news for the NFL...  From "The REAL Feed":

Logistical hurdles cleared, NFL to begin game-day drug testing
NFL.com (10.08.2011 06:25)
The NFL is adding game-day testing for performance-enhancing substances -- but not recreational drugs -- this season under the new collective bargaining agreement.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #233 on: Sep 12th, 2011, 2:18pm »

This is one team putting its foot down, but really this is a league and, indeed, life issue...  From "The REAL Feed":

Patriots put Twitter ban on Ochocinco?
SI.com: NFL (12.09.2011 11:50)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #234 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 11:29am »

HGH banned and needs to be tested for... according to the U.S. Congress per "The REAL Feed":

Congress wants NFL, union to start HGH testing
SI.com: NFL (29.09.2011 18:19)
Congress is stepping up its efforts to push the NFL and its players toward an agreement on testing for human growth hormone.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #235 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 7:53pm »

Still looking for a way to expand overseas.  From "The REAL Feed":

Goodell: Regular teams in London would help NFL expand there
NFL.com (22.10.2011 12:49)
Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL is considering a plan to have a few teams play regularly in Britain to build an overseas fan base. This would be part of the league'sevaluation about whether a team could be permanently based in London.

My position on this is well documented (on this thread).  I am not for it.  However, the best run that can be made at it I think would lie in some kind of a "sister city" setup.  Teams would play one or two of their home games in their international sister city/country.  That would (perhaps) get the people of the city/country vested in the team.  It would facilitate some kind of real connection.  That said, stateside, would teams, their fans and the local businesses who rely on game day really be up for giving up two of their home games?  Almost definitely not!  Such an idea as I am proposing would basically require extending the season by two games to 18, which brings in a whole nother issue that, again, I am not in support of.  The globalization of the NFL just seems like a hopeless venture.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #236 on: Mar 21st, 2012, 11:19pm »

What's currently on the plate... according to "The REAL Feed":

Owners will decide whether to change overtime, IR rules
NFL.com (21.03.2012 16:37)
The NFL's Competition Committee announced during a conference call Wednesday that it will introduce multiple rule-changes and by-law proposals to ownership at league meetings next week in Palm Beach, Fla.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #237 on: Apr 26th, 2012, 4:29pm »

The Pro Bowl has an existential crisis.  The unfortunate bottom line is that NFL players have gotten too glitzy for the Pro Bowl.

One infusion of a couple million dollars, and I would be set for life (and still, on my accord, working/contributing to society, mind you).  Yet, like lemmings at the altar of self-interest, we even go about defending players' not signing their franchise tags and holding out for long-term contracts under the ridiculous assumption of long-term security [as if something like $10,000,000 (yes, look at all those 0's) is not enough of a lifetime insurance policy]. As much as attention needs to be devoted to concussions, attention needs to be devoted to balancing checkbooks (and, maybe, rendering money-sucking sports agents irrelevant; NFL players have gone to college for goodness sake ).  (Well, what is going on on college campuses is a whole nother issue.)

It is not so much greed, per se, that is the problem.  It is that we justify choices in terms of, "Well, he is just looking out for himself and doing what is best for himself."  Such a mindset undermines sacrifice.  It is an unwillingness to sacrifice that is destroying our country.  Nobody wants, has been brought up anymore to do it.  Our problem is not so much ambition and greed.  It is unwillingness to sacrifice and, frankly speaking, laziness.

But, I digress...  From "The REAL Feed":

NFL, union in discussions about Pro Bowl
NFL.com (26.04.2012 10:27)
Could the future of the Pro Bowl be in jeopardy? NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said no determination has been made regarding the future of the game following a report the game itself is in jeopardy.

Thing is, the game still generates stats, and, as such, is potentially fantasy-relevant, which means, perhaps, fantasy football is in a position to give back to the real game upon which it is based.  If the NFL and the fantasy football powers-that-be out there were imaginative enough, maybe they could figure out a way to play off the fantasy angle.  Of course, that does not serve to change the reality that the game is not worth it to the player's anymore (and, of course, to hell with the fans, especially those in Hawaii, where, mind you, there is a great love of American football, which has to a great measure been engendered by the history of the Pro Bowl in Hawaii).
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #238 on: May 3rd, 2012, 4:28am »

Goodell's scales of justice drop another bomb on participants in the very "unsaintly" behavior of putting bounties on opponents... From "The REAL Feed":

Four players suspended for Saints 'bounty' roles
Star-Telegram: Dallas Cowboys (03.05.2012 00:01)
Hoping to close the book on bounties, the NFL suspended New Orleans Saints defensive captain Jonathan Vilma without pay for all of next season Wednesday and gave shorter bans to three other players for their leading roles in the team's cash-for-hits system that is alleged to have knocked key oppo...

Then, go figure... The player's union, that is, a union takes (yet) a(nother) silly self-contradictory position on a matter. What's new, though, right? More union irrationality... More from "The REAL Feed":

Brennan: NFLPA wrong to defend Bountygate Saints
USA TODAY: Sports (02.05.2012 20:09)
Once again, Roger Goodell has done exactly the right thing in the Bountygate scandal. The same can't be said for the NFL players union.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2012, 4:30am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #239 on: May 26th, 2012, 8:49pm »

Currently atop "The REAL Feed" a growing issue for the league, one that weighs morality and ethics against practicality:

Column: Time to do away with sports betting stigma
Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Sports (26.05.2012 19:43)
Column: Time to do away with sports betting stigma  

Turns out what they really want in the Garden State is to be able to bet 100 bucks on the Jets in the sports book at the Meadowlands race track before strolling over to the stadium for the Sept. 9 home opener against Buffalo.  

Probably not...

This is a kind of dilemma that has troubled me for a long time (vis-a-vis other issues besides gambling, like abortion, intoxicants, etc., etc.). What is the argument against habitually legalizing bad activities and behavior patterns and, thus, matter-of-factly endorsing them as a society and culture when they do in fact hurt people? It hit me some time ago now... Remember that the law is NOT the basis of ethics and morality, nor should it be. It is just making the best out of inappropriate behavior and contributing to social order. As long as one does not make law his or her standard for ethics, we can be okay. But, the danger does lurk.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012, 4:22am by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #240 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 10:22pm »

I would rather have people have the ability to bet legally and fairly rather than have them go to a bookmaker who may give even less favorable odds.

Hell, over 50% of Americans gambled last year.....by playing the lottery.   Why not allow them to place a wager on football where the odds are probably better?

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #241 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 3:39pm »

I am mainly posting this because of an erudite comment made by a "Troy Cook" at NFL.com about this article.  Marketing, the downfall of western civilization... From "The REAL Feed":

New footballs cause concern among NFL quarterbacks
NFL.com (15.08.2012 12:54)
College and high school football teams use synthetic laces in their footballs but many NFL quarterbacks are voicing their disapproval of the ball change being tested in Week 2 of the preseason.

Make sure to scroll down and read Troy's comment...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #242 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 5:27pm »

Two reports... one, a stride made in the (I think, ill-advised) move to export the NFL; the second, one of the BEST pieces I have seen on the referee lockout, pointed and poignant,... and ALL "From "The REAL Feed":

London calling for Jaguars
Sporting Life: NFL (21.08.2012 16:07)
Jacksonville have made a four-year commitment to be the "home" team in the NFL's games hosted in London from next season.

Nobody asked me, but ...
The Sports Network: NFL (21.08.2012 10:02)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #243 on: Sep 1st, 2012, 4:00pm »

Looks like there may be some funky calls Week 1... From "The REAL Feed":

NFL, referees break off talks; replacements likely for Week 1
NFL.com (01.09.2012 15:35)
The latest round of negotiations between the NFL and it's officials have ended without an agreement, increasing the likelihood that replacement officials will be on the field Week 1.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #244 on: Sep 27th, 2012, 6:18pm »

So, another union victory...  This time that U.S. union that represents those poor, poor NFL referees. And, we lemmings just cheer on...  Listening to those liberal-leaning morons over at ESPN talk about this is sickening... It is like they would like to line up to suck off Ed Hoculi. Wasn't it old muscly Ed who made that MNF-Seahawks-over-Packers-esque HORRIBLE call that cost the Chargers a game against the Broncos a few years ago???  And, as I recall, there was actually another really bad call toward the end of that game that went against the Chargers.  Hoculi ended up getting ridiculed BIG-time, receiving death threats and having to publicly apologize.  We have become a bunch of short-attention-span, instant-gratification idiots!  Screw the bigger picture!  Give me what I want now... Indeed, it is my fellow conservatives that have made me the most sick in this instance.  Way to go!  Way to be consistent with and uphold our ideals!  You are no better than the liberals!  No entitlements, but don't take away mine!  We are a bunch of candy-asses!  Sacrifice is a meaningless word!  Look, I have my qualms with NFL ownership.  But, a union of "very well-off" part-timers!  Give me an f'n break!  If that is not an example of unionization run amok, then nothing is!  We deserve the screw job on the horizon.  Regretfully, though, our young children DON'T!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #245 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 7:01am »

Infamous "tuck rule" in jeopardy... according to this LOCAL source on "The REAL Feed":

NFL could eliminate tuck rule
Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Sports (14.03.2013 17:07)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #246 on: Jun 11th, 2013, 5:44pm »

Draft could be moved out of New York in the near future... according to "The REAL Feed":

Draft close to becoming traveling tour?
SI.com: NFL (11.06.2013 11:04)
The recent two-week shift of the 2014 NFL Draft that was necessitated by a scheduling conflict at New York's Radio City Music Hall could wind up being just the beginning of the changes coming to one of the league's glamor events in ensuing years.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #247 on: Sep 29th, 2013, 2:17pm »

Reducing the preseason has been under serious consideration for some time, but, while the proposal of expanding the regular season has lost steam, attention has now turned to expanding the postseason... according to "The REAL Feed":

Sources: NFL considering expanded playoffs
ESPN: NFL (29.09.2013 10:33)
The NFL is urgently discussing a new scheduling formula that would include a three-game preseason and could also feature an expanded postseason field from 12 to 14 teams, sources league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #248 on: Oct 9th, 2013, 3:54pm »

I am not posting this because of the change to futuristic uniforms.  I am posting it because within this short article there is a stat about the TV ratings of the Pro Bowl that is news to me... and makes me wonder "what's been the problem then"!  From "The REAL Feed":

NFL unveils 'vibrant' new uniforms for Pro Bowl
SI.com: NFL (08.10.2013 09:38)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #249 on: Oct 23rd, 2013, 5:51pm »

Anecdotal, but surely worth considering... in these lawyer-driven wimpy times in which we now live... From "The REAL Feed":

We Chose This Profession
SI.com: NFL (23.10.2013 09:05)
Football is a violent way to make a living, but players know that. If you don't like it, stop watching.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2013, 5:53pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.