In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:20am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron NFL "issues"

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Referee, Umpire, Head Linesman, Replay Official, Field Judge, Line Judge, Back Judge, Side Judge)
   NFL "issues"
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  11 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NFL "issues"  (Read 26055 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: NFL issues - Playoffs, OT, On-sides kicks, Rep
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30th, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Regarding the future of instant replay, from "The REAL Feed":

Replay extended for five years
NFL.com (30.03.2004 18:33)
NFL owners voted to keep instant replay for at least five more seasons, and they added a twist: A team successful on two challenges in a game will get a third.

I, for one, like it!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: NFL issues
« Reply #26 on: Jul 15th, 2004, 5:00pm »

Regarding NFL rules and the '04 season, currently from atop "The REAL Feed":

Clayton: Cracking down on corners
ESPN: NFL (15.07.2004 15:18)
Illegal contact enforcement could have huge impactThe hardest thing to figure about the 2004 season is the impact of the NFL's desire to enforce contact or interference penalties after five yards.Some people you talk to tell you the impact will be minimal. Those are the same people who misjudged ...

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 9:59pm »

Uh-oh...  From "The REAL Feed":

S.C. doctor to write tell-all book about steroid use in NFL
USATODAY.com Sports - Top Stories (05.04.2005 16:09)
The South Carolina doctor linked to possible steroid use by members of the Carolina Panthers is writing a book about the drugs ...
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:14am »

on Apr 5th, 2005, 9:59pm, StegRock wrote:
Uh-oh...  From "The REAL Feed":

S.C. doctor to write tell-all book about steroid use in NFL
USATODAY.com Sports - Top Stories (05.04.2005 16:09)
The South Carolina doctor linked to possible steroid use by members of the Carolina Panthers is writing a book about the drugs ...

HUMmmmmmmmmmmm, I certainly hope that J.Peppers isn't involved - he looked like superman last year and played like him too, and, I just traded for him.

Also, he was chuggin Ephedra early on as well.

I have a bad feeling about this.

*BEE BYE BOE BUM!!; I SMELL THE STENCH OF SOME INSANE PLAYER SCUM.
*2004 CHUMP-ION of Insane World!!!!!
*Domination of the DUKE BEEgins right here!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: May 12th, 2005, 5:25pm »

Don't know if this is absolutely ideal for this thread, but I did not want to start a whole new thread for it.  It regards the dress code for coaches and that formal wear like back in the day is out in favor of sponsor-provided clothing. From "The REAL Feed":

NFL becomes the Not (so) Formal League
SI.com: NFL (12.05.2005 13:43)

This post was brought to you by Girls Gone Wild... Spring break video PLUS "America Uncovered" for only $9.99!!!

When you guys are on "the Gridiron", I want you wearin' your "FFPro.com/the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" t-shirts, damn it!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 4:58pm »

Here we go with the "playoff expansion" talk again.  Meanwhile, according to the poll USA Today is conducting, 60% of us are fine with the playoffs the way they are.  It does seem, however, as per the article, that this year those who want it are going to have their strongest argument ever! From "The REAL Feed":

Chiefs president wants more playoff teams
USATODAY.com NFL - Top Stories (29.12.2005 11:19)
Ten wins. In the NFL, to accomplish that means almost certain inclusion into the playoffs. Not this season. And heading into ...

Thoughts, fellas???

Now, this I did not know where to post.  It's rules-related, so here it is.  But, the real thrust of my posting this is to point out that Joe Horn is a bit out of control these days and really needs a copy of The Death of Common Sense sent to him.  His rationale is very childish. (Not at all that one needs to go to college to be smart and live intelligently, but) He's really displaying an particularly uneducated, simpleminded and immature attitude (about this/these days).  From "The REAL Feed":

Saints' Horn questions NFL again, this time on cellphones
Two years after he was fined $30,000 by the NFL for making a choreographed cellphone call to celebrate a touchdown, New Orleans ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 4:43pm »

I DIGRESS...
    on Dec 29th, 2005, 4:58pm, StegRock wrote:
    Now, this I did not know where to post.  It's rules-related, so here it is.  But, the real thrust of my posting this is to point out that Joe Horn is a bit out of control these days and really needs a copy of The Death of Common Sense sent to him.  His rationale is very childish. (Not at all that one needs to go to college to be smart and live intelligently, but) He's really displaying an particularly uneducated, simpleminded and immature attitude (about this/these days).  From "The REAL Feed":

Saints' Horn questions NFL again, this time on cellphones
    Two years after he was fined $30,000 by the NFL for making a choreographed cellphone call to celebrate a touchdown, New Orleans ...

Well, Joe Horn got what he wanted... almost...  From "The REAL Feed"...

Falcons' Mora fined for using cell phone (AP)
    Yahoo! News: Democratic Party (05.01.2006 15:34)
    Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for using a cell phone on the sidelines during the team's overtime loss to Tampa Bay on Dec. 24. Mora was fined under a rule adopted last March prohibiting the use of cell phones or any other form of communications by coaches or pl...

...I wonder if Joe will bitch now about the $5,000 difference.  I won't be surprised if he does.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: NFL "issues"
« Reply #32 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 4:15am »

I think this is good news... with the exception of, at least, how the piece BEGINS.  It reads, "The NFL is satisfied with its officiating..." ... YIKES!  From "The REAL Feed":

NFL might tweak offensive holding, false start rules
ESPN: NFL (22.03.2006 17:21)
Beginning next week at league meetings in Orlando, Fla., the NFL will tweak a few rules, dealing mostly with player safety, offensive holding and false starts.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 3:23pm »

Here we go again with the crackdown...  From "The REAL Feed":

No Fun League? NFL might rein in TD celebrations
ESPN: NFL (28.03.2006 11:18)
The NFL's competition committee is proposing a crackdown on rocking the baby, teeing off like Tiger and anything else that might be considered taunting.

I, for one, like the players to have the leeway to add "creative expression" to the game and show their emotions/"good vibrations". Mind you, whether or not I like this or that endzone celebration is a matter of taste, both the player's and mine considered together.  But, endzone celebrations per se are a fun part of the game and, as long as they aren't overly time-consuming (that would be the one objective attribute I think worth considering), should be left alone.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:50am »

Still pushin' to get a team in that PHAT L.A. market...  From "The REAL Feed":

Tagliabue pushing NFL to put team back in Los Angeles
ESPN: NFL (28.03.2006 21:03)
Before he retires as commissioner, Paul  
Tagliabue would like to see the NFL get closer to placing a team  
back in Los Angeles.

This could end up being Tag's last order of business...  It would be a great way to go out!
bakes781
GM
# 236

Super Bowl XXXIX

bakes781
View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 10:38am »

Can't they just follow Bud Selig's lead & name a team LA even if they aren't techincally in LA.    I mean they've been doing that with NY all these years.  
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 10:39am by bakes781 » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 12:48pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 1:50am, StegRock wrote:
Still pushin' to get a team in that PHAT L.A. market...  From "The REAL Feed":

Tagliabue pushing NFL to put team back in Los Angeles
ESPN: NFL (28.03.2006 21:03)
Before he retires as commissioner, Paul  
Tagliabue would like to see the NFL get closer to placing a team  
back in Los Angeles.

This could end up being Tag's last order of business...  It would be a great way to go out!

Funny--

It would be great to get a team to LA, but the NFL is not going to expand.  So, that leaves the only option of a team moving.  Wonder who it could be? Some team is going to have to not do the 'right' thing.....

Ultimately, IF the agreement gets done to get a team in LA, then everyteam has a gun to hold to the other NFL cities to get a new stadium or they are moving.  Candidates include:

New Orleans, San Diego, and KC.  All three teams are trying to get new stadiums.......

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
bakes781
GM
# 236

Super Bowl XXXIX

bakes781
View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:03pm »

Saints would seem like the obvious choice to move to LA.  The only other matter left would be how to rearrange the divisions.  I suppose St Louis would be the likely choice to swap divisions.  From what I heard it could be another 5 years b4 it gets done.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:04pm by bakes781 » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #38 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 3:45pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 12:48pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
It would be great to get a team to LA, but the NFL is not going to expand.

First of all, I wouldn't rule that out...  Things have a way of changing...

Quote:
So, that leaves the only option of a team moving.  Wonder who it could be? Some team is going to have to not do the 'right' thing.....

You're gonna keep stickin' that to me, huh, bro? Morals and ethics, i.e. discerning and then doing the "right" thing, take priority in my life over economics and politics (personal and otherwise), in the short run, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, BUT in the long run, in my heart, mind and soul (if there is such a thing) always for the better.  The problem is that the "discerning" side of things has become such a convoluted venture in PC liberal America anymore that not only have we become not good at doing it, but aren't even willing to do it for fear that we might "offend" someone,... who's doing the wrong thing, mind you.

Of course, this is not even to mention that the (ethically/morally) "right" course of action in the wake of Katrina may not remain to be the "right" course of action FIVE years from now, when it appears this move is not even likely to take place until.  Even just the tacit and perhaps even unwitting implication that I, by just asserting that there is a right and a wrong way to go here, might be (furthermore) asserting that there is only one permanent right course of action, a static righteousness, so to speak, speaks to the other ugly side of the American moral pendulum.  Mind you, the more tacit, unwitting and unnoticed the implication is, the more it is proof in the pudding.  The modern-day PC (social) liberals are just a reaction to the extreme version of "what's right" espoused by our "religious right", who tend to stubbornly want to hold on to their unchanging truths, fixed maxims, rigid reality and "constant" (in both senses of the term) righteousness.  Thing is, though, things are always in flux, i.e., to bring this around full-circle, things have a way of changing. This is where we could learn a good bit from Eastern thinking (and, eh-hem, why I am here at UH).

Anyway, the state abbreviation for Louisiana is "LA"...  You'd think these executive numbskulls could come up with a creative solution here... ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:10pm »

Out with TD celebrations; in with further protecting a QB's knees,... and MUCH MORE in the way of rules adjustments... from "The REAL Feed":

NFL votes to rein in TD celebrations, expand replay
ESPN: NFL (29.03.2006 17:01)
The NFL owners meetings concluded in Orlando on Wednesday afternoon with owners giving big thumbs up to 15 playing rules proposals by the competition committee. Player safety and player conduct headlined the long list of recommendations.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:12pm by Stegfucius » Logged
bakes781
GM
# 236

Super Bowl XXXIX

bakes781
View Profile Email

« Reply #40 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:20pm »

Eventually we're gonna see the NFL putting red jerseys on the QBs like they do in practice & say no tackling of the QB.  From now on it's 2 hand touch.  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: May 12th, 2006, 1:27am »

At odds over (odd, figuratively and literally) numbers on jerseys...  From "The REAL Feed":

Bush pleads to stay No. 5
USA TODAY: Sports (11.05.2006 23:03)
Reggie Bush won a Heisman Trophy wearing No. 5. But for the New Orleans Saints' savior of a running back to achieve NFL greatness ...

Bush's first pro battle is with the NFL
CBS SportsLine.com - Columns by Clark Judge (12.05.2006 01:00)
Reggie Bush's beef isn't with commissioner Paul Tagliabue. It's with the NFL as a whole. Clark Judge says the Saints' rookie running back may have to wait for a systemic change before he dons No. 5 again.
bakes781
GM
# 236

Super Bowl XXXIX

bakes781
View Profile Email

« Reply #42 on: May 12th, 2006, 10:51am »

If he quibbles this much over a jersey # then how much of a fuss is he gonna put up for a lucrative signing bonus?  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: May 12th, 2006, 7:27pm »

So, does anybody think that Reggie's move to get his way with regards to his jersey number by appealing to donating money to the Hurricane Katrina fund is cheesy as hell???  I definitely do.  Someone should just give him a dose of reality and ask him, "Reggie, why don't you donate the $400,000, anyway?  Whatever number your jersey is, it is going to sell.  You need it to be #5 to show your generosity.  It's not really generosity then."  All I know is if a "lesser" dude, a "little guy" like myself, pulled a move like/analogous to that (like to raise money for "the Gridiron"), people would have called "foul" right off the bat.  Don't get me wrong...  This doesn't address the issue of jersey number assignments and the rationale behind them.  I don't know where I stand on that.  BUT, I do know that the tack Bush is taking is,... well,... "Bush League"!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: May 13th, 2006, 5:15pm »

Still awaiting thoughts/counter-arguments/agreement/consensus on this provocative issue...

on May 12th, 2006, 7:27pm, StegRock wrote:
So, does anybody think that Reggie's move to get his way with regards to his jersey number by appealing to donating money to the Hurricane Katrina fund is cheesy as hell???  I definitely do.  Someone should just give him a dose of reality and ask him, "Reggie, why don't you donate the $400,000, anyway?  Whatever number your jersey is, it is going to sell.  You need it to be #5 to show your generosity.  It's not really generosity then."  All I know is if a "lesser" dude, a "little guy" like myself, pulled a move like/analogous to that (like to raise money for "the Gridiron"), people would have called "foul" right off the bat.  Don't get me wrong...  This doesn't address the issue of jersey number assignments and the rationale behind them.  I don't know where I stand on that.  BUT, I do know that the tack Bush is taking is,... well,... "Bush League"!

The latest from "The REAL Feed"...  Bush pushes the envelope...

Bush wears No. 5 in Saints camp, but that could change
ESPN: NFL (13.05.2006 16:30)
At least for this weekend, at the Saints' three-day mini-camp here, former Southern California tailback Reggie Bush is permitted to wear his familiar uniform No. 5.
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:33am »

on May 12th, 2006, 7:27pm, StegRock wrote:

Ah, in comparison to "having DADDY pick my team for me" - using "Daddy and (possibly) big brother" as a power-end support system and decision maker to DENY a franchise their #1 pickings in the historic NFL draft,

to just about FORCE his way to another team (3rd pick overall I BEElieve),

and although, Reggie wasn't the #1 pick as Eli or Elway was,

we all know, He was the #1 pick,

and so,

in comparison to THAT,

its no biggie at all - I don't find it cheesy and in fact, its awesome that he is donating money which by the way - he does NOT have to do (lets face it - he lost a lot of money by NOT being picked #1 overall - and in fact, Houston is just right down the street from Norleans and so,

why doesn't Mario donate ome of that #1 pickle overall "make me sickle" money to the Big Easy,

Big whoop dee doo whoppers,

he wants #5 - give it to him.

Hes a stand up guy with a lot of talent going to a "forever" losing franchise and a beaten worn down town.

AND, he isn't singing sour grapes,

Hes anything but cheesy.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: May 14th, 2006, 12:56pm »

on May 14th, 2006, 9:33am, KillerKingSting wrote:
I don't find it cheesy and in fact, its awesome that he is donating money which by the way - he does NOT have to do (lets face it - he lost a lot of money by NOT being picked #1 overall - and in fact, Houston is just right down the street from Norleans and so,...

So, it is okay to exploit tragedies for personal gain???  I just don't see how one (Bush's desired jersey number) relates to another (the devastation Hurricane Katrina wreaked) at all, and when the rest of us do that in life, we get called out on the carpet for it.  Isn't there something innately disingenuous about it?  This is the danger of pulling an "apples and oranges" move.  ...  I know for the last couple "Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy Telethons" I've considered doing a drive here where half of your donation to "the Gridiron" over "x" period would go to the telethon on behalf of "the Gridiron".  If it was a healthy amount, I considered heading in to one of the outposts (in New York or L.A. or wherever) to give the donation on air like other businesses do.  It seems like nothing but a good idea (I've discussed it with a handful of friends here, always to a luke-warm response, one I understand, mind you.  But, hey, this is Reggie Bush, right?  Not your personal friend Steg, who provides a beloved service...),... but there is a "but" to it,... an uneasy feeling like somehow I'm capitalizing on people's grief, and, mind you, I'm a little guy strapped for cash trying to get off the ground (so the "consider all the money I lost by getting picked #2, not #1" argument falls on totally deaf ears).  Now, I understand there is a fundamental difference in degree...  He's not looking for money for his own pocket.  He's just looking to get the number he wants on his jersey.  On the other hand, I have yet to make a dime on "the Gridiron" (or, in this context, should I say, off "the Gridiron"...  English is a funny thing).  He's financially set.  So, there is a difference there too.  Both situations have a stinky side to them.  While mine seems more money-grubbing, his seems more childish and, mind you, both moves are calculated.  It's like the beloved family dog lost its bone and he knows where it is (but actually not even because he claims that he will donate part of the proceeds from the #5 jersey sales) but won't tell, holding the dog to ransom, unless mommy and daddy buy him the new toy he wants.  One has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the other.  He should just tell mom and dad where the bone is and do the right thing by the dog and let the toy scenario play out, perhaps, fairly enough with it in mind that one good deed may deserve another and he'll get his toy.  That's at least adjusting the attitude in the right direction, namely reward for right action, as opposed to this bass-ackwards ransom-style negotiation tack.  Of course, when you do a good deed for someone you shouldn't expect anything in return.  When people do that, we usually think that's rather ugly.  So, what is it about turning it the opposite direction, into a negotiation move that makes it more palatable?  It surely shouldn't.  It's just the same move except the expectation of fulfillment of the desire is now embedded and necessary, making for a totally bass-ackwards attitude about "doing the right thing by people in life".  It's a move that can surely be "understood" and "explained away", but it definitely should NOT be encouraged.  ...  Needless to say, I don't plan on doing the telethon drive thing (and I don't foresee being argued out of that by our folks here,... the irony) and, yet, somehow, what I'm suggesting here, in context, doesn't seem to exemplify as poor of an "attitude" (in both senses of the word) as nor be as misdirected or misguided of a move as Reggie's.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006, 12:57pm by Stegfucius » Logged
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: May 14th, 2006, 8:16pm »

on May 14th, 2006, 12:56pm, StegRock wrote:

So, it is okay to exploit tragedies for personal gain???

I don't get this - really???? Its a situation that is already exploited. In fact, I could argue that even YOU are doing the same - exploiting this "issue" (which has to do with the tragedies of Katrina),
for sake of discussion here on the grid - for the activity EXPECTATIONS (pay attention) you have for the gridiron.

or perhaps,

your own personal gain of a debate, which we all know you love (and me too!)

really, I am not going that far with this but,

if we are to ramble over a #5 jersey in a city that got wiped out by a natural force, and a player who got robbed of the #1 pickle status,

and put emphasis on the deed of 400,000$ buckaroos in comparison to a #5 jersey,

certainly I could compare then,

your posssbile/personal gain(s) to what you consider Reggie is also gaining as well ~>

Who knows - if i ponder - and I can ponder with the best of em - I could ponder that, perhaps, you have an alternate goal in mind -  

one that IF, we (you and me and whoever else entered in this discussion) would/could somehow CONVINCE most on here that this were indeed just a good deed without a cheesy after-taste,

just maybe - you could USE this same example to gain for the GRID on down the road - CALL on the peeps who argued FOR the BUSH situation rather than against,

call on them using THEIR OWN rationales against them within this discussion,

and of course,
if they aren't consistent in thought,

..............................................well then ,

(by the way, just for record, I am not saying that you would activate such a situation but this is discussion )

Quote:

Still awaiting thoughts/counter-arguments/agreement/consensus on this provocative issue...

And this (above) follow up to it - the repitition of awaiting response would only add more reality to the "possible" perception that your also exploiting Katrina  - still in comparison - as Bush's would be considered minor as well - both situations - yours and Bush' would be acceptable in relation to one another in the respect that you bring on it..

Which also leads me to this ~>

Quote:
Of course, when you do a good deed for someone you shouldn't expect anything in return.  

Your EXPECTATION of a response is within the same realm of debate that you are referring to when against Bush.

Perhaps you think your doing a "good" deed" with this discussion - maybe teach whoever reads this a bit of a lesson in philosophy - or whatever, or even gain YOURSELF some difference of perception,

We all expect - even if it's a SMILE - from a good deed done - its still an expectation, its still human nature and I believe to what degree is that expectation ias the one - if any - should be discussed - and not the natural response of expecting.

When I do a good deed in a hospital - and I mean - go OUT OF MY WAY COMPLETELY to help someone out - things that aren't expected of me nor within my job description - then,

I expect some level of response from that person in that they are more comfortable within their situation than they were BEFORE I did deed.

Same difference.

MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #48 on: May 14th, 2006, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH......

Cheese or No Cheese...the bottom line here is that he is willing to give. The reason behind it, or the "traps", that are within the situation of him giving really shouldn't matter. It's not my business what another man does with his money. I do believe he is using the situation to try to get his number...but so what. If I'm a victim of Katrina, I don't think I'd care "why"...I'm just happy that someone was willing to help me out. My gut tell's me that we will likely see other charitable gestures from him throughout his tenure in the Big Easy, regardless if he gets his number or not.  

But...I wouldn't hold your breath on my gut !!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: May 14th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Well, I'm not going to say that my response there is not "in a light", Bill.  I obviously framed my take by circumstances that are relevant to my experience... here and, thus, that should "speak to" the reader here.  That was not "unplanned", for sure.  But, I'm not pulling an "apples and oranges" move like Bush.  In fact, I'm drawing an analogy between the situations, and showing that my ethical position (here) is at least somewhat corroborated by my very own decision-making process regarding the telethon idea.  I suppose, at worst, it could be suggested that I am exploiting his exploitation of Katrina to make a point.  And, I will even go as far as to admit that there is a bit of an ulterior motive to my post, BUT it's just to get people to think, reflect and consider the "bigger picture".  That's all.  Let's face it!  Do you really think such a tack as the one you suggest (I might/could be up to) is likely to lead to encouragement en masse of a muscular dystrophy drive here, no less an inordinate influx donations to one?  Moreover, do you think that if I did such a donation drive and threw what my members expressed on this thread back in their faces, that would work?  Come on... Do you think I am that stupid?  That double-standard could be thrown right back in my face, for goodness sake.  I'm neither that naïve nor that optimistic (anymore), in any event.  Again, I am not saying that there isn't more going on, but, really, I am just critiquing Bush and using my very own situation to "bring it home" and, furthermore, to show that there is some "proof in the pudding" behind my take, for whatever that's worth, which could be something in the long run, I suppose.  I have denied myself of the move Reggie is making or at least a very comparable one, furthermore, in part because I felt that I would expose myself to the kind of (appropriate) criticism that I am leveling at Bush.  But, to draw an analogy between what I am up to on this thread and what (I think) Bush is doing is off base and unfair.  It's much more nuanced than that.  Indeed, the only thing I stand to "gain" besides the residual effects of possibly getting people to think, reflect and see the "bigger picture", which I am aware of, mind you, but which I also know all too well is wishful thinking and hypothetical at best, is learning what the bounds of acceptability are with respect to these kinds of matters because my moral compass seems to be way right of center and, perhaps, needlessly so...
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  11 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.