In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 7:13pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron NFL "issues"

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand...  Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   NFL "issues"
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  11 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NFL "issues"  (Read 20353 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: NFL "issues"
« Reply #50 on: May 14th, 2006, 11:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 14th, 2006, 10:35pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
If I'm a victim of Katrina, I don't think I'd care "why"...I'm just happy that someone was willing to help me out. My gut tell's me that we will likely see other charitable gestures from him throughout his tenure in the Big Easy, regardless if he gets his number or not.

While I don't disagree with you, MC, that he may show further charity to New Orleans in the future and, furthermore, that the NFL's policy with respect to jersey numbers may be unnecessary (anymore at least), if I were a victim of Katrina, I would wonder why he needs to get his jersey number to give anything.  Just give... from your heart, no strings attached...  He's set it up for the NFL to now be the "bad guy", and that ain't right... whether or not the rule about jersey numbers is a good or necessary one.  He shouldn't hold his good will to ransom.  Frankly speaking (and I can't believe I have to point this out), Bush's move here is at least potentially tantamount to my saying that I am going to have to stop going in the red and close "the Gridiron" if my wife doesn't make spaghetti for dinner tonight (which wouldn't be any sweat off her brow) and then blame her for the closing of the site if she doesn't.  I mean...  It is this kind of tack that we all HATE about politics as usual and slime-ball lawyers...  In fact, isn't it Bush's agent who cooked up this idea???

Quote:
But...I wouldn't hold your breath on my gut !!!!

Right...
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #51 on: May 15th, 2006, 5:25am »

on May 14th, 2006, 11:07pm, StegRock wrote:
Well, I'm not going to say that my response there is not "in a light", Bill.  I obviously framed my take by circumstances that are relevant to my experience... here and, thus, that should "speak to" the reader here.  That was not "unplanned", for sure.  But, I'm not pulling an "apples and oranges" move like Bush.  In fact, I'm drawing an analogy between the situations, and showing that my ethical position (here) is at least somewhat corroborated by my very own decision-making process regarding the telethon idea.  I suppose, at worst, it could be suggested that I am exploiting his exploitation of Katrina to make a point.  And, I will even go as far as to admit that there is a bit of an ulterior motive to my post, BUT it's just to get people to think, reflect and consider the "bigger picture".

YOUR bigger picture which is YOUR persepctive on this whole thing.

And what I am trying to say is that,

the BIGGER picture here is that,

MY BIGGER PICTURE,

MY PERSPECTIVE,

a t-shirt with a number painted on it - WHICH he was going to get anyhow - a jersey w/ a number,

in comparison to 400,000$?????????????????????

huh!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Lets RECAP what I said in my first comment - IN COMPARISON to ELI and ELWAY who REFUSED to even go to their original drafted NFL teams

MUCH LESS DONATE MONEY to them,

and IMHO,

NOR is much more desolate than either of the teams that drafted ELI or ELWAY,

again ~>........................ whats the problem here????

The NFL compares its players via free agency by way of tag with the top 5 player's salaries,

so,

its only fair to continue this process by way of comparing REGGIE BUSH' conduct to that of his peers, both prior and present.................

which by the way,

AGAIN,

bringing BACK up my original comment in regards to MARIO WILLIAMS who did NOT (IMO) deserve the #1 pickle and who lives in the neighborhood just a couple doors down from NOR (Houston),

HE should be the one on the block here - why isn't HE donating money to this cause???????????????????????????????????? - in fact he should thank his lucky stars that he was even considered for that #1 pickle status,

AND

KATRINA surely could have turned and smashed into Houston just as well as NOR.

Basically dude, he isn't asking for anything he just about wasn't going to get anyhow.

Quote:
That's all.  Let's face it!  Do you really think such a tack as the one you suggest (I might/could be up to) is likely to lead to encouragement

This question was already answered before it was even asked. Please read my post again.

Quote:
Do you think I am that stupid?

I wiull ignore this question. If you REALLY think I need to answer it, I will oblige next postlet.

Once again, I believe your taking this more personally targetted than the BIGGER picture in whichj you kep referring to - that in and of itself is confusing to me (where is the consistency?) since,

your whole rationale here is the BIGGER picture.

And again, what I am saying is that  

exactly what Courage said,

and I agree with him,

the jersey,

in comparison to 400,000$,

big freakin whoop.

Quote:
That double-standard could be thrown right back in my face, for goodness sake.  I'm neither that naïve nor that optimistic (anymore), in any event.  Again, I am not saying that there isn't more going on, but, really, I am just critiquing Bush and using my very own situation to "bring it home" and, furthermore, to show that there is some "proof in the pudding" behind my take, for whatever that's worth, which could be something in the long run, I suppose.  I have denied myself of the move Reggie is making or at least a very comparable one, furthermore, in part because I felt that I would expose myself to the kind of (appropriate) criticism that I am leveling at Bush.

again, your use of yourself to bring this home is fine when you wish to use it but,

if I wish to do so,

then?????????????????????

Quote:
But, to draw an analogy between what I am up to on this thread and what (I think) Bush is doing is off base and unfair.  It's much more nuanced than that.  Indeed, the only thing I stand to "gain" besides the residual effects of possibly getting people to think, reflect and see the "bigger picture",

again, your bigger picture..................but my bigger picture is that its 400,000$ dollars,

to people who really really need it,

lets not forget,

that IN COMPARISON to his PEERS,

he is giving much more than 400,000$ dollars.

He is bringing Reggie Bush HYPE to the table,

he is actually going to the desolate team that drafted him without CRYING and TELLING daddy about it, and playing baseball instead,

he is doing much more than just putting 400,000$ on the table here,

THATS the bigger picture,

and those people need EVERYTHING he has to offer,

I salute him!

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006, 5:26am by KillerKingSting » Logged

*BEE BYE BOE BUM!!; I SMELL THE STENCH OF SOME INSANE PLAYER SCUM.
*2004 CHUMP-ION of Insane World!!!!!
*Domination of the DUKE BEEgins right here!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:01am »

I've never said he shouldn't give the money.  I'm just saying he should give it without any strings attached...  And, perhaps, the question further implied is whether or not he'd have done so if there were no jersey-number issue.  But, that's it...  As for the Eli/Elway allusions,... ... apples and oranges.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:05am »

Oh,... and this, Bill...

on May 15th, 2006, 5:25am, KillerKingSting wrote:
again, your use of yourself to bring this home is fine when you wish to use it but,

if I wish to do so,

then?????????????????????

You really want to go there?!?!?  I'm "bringing it home" as in "relating it to 'the Gridiron'", to which I see a scenario that is analogous,... period.  Don't read too in between the lines,... just enough to get it... me right...
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #54 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:08am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:01am, StegRock wrote:
I've never said he shouldn't give the money.  I'm just saying he should give it without any strings attached...  And, perhaps, the question further implied is whether or not he'd have done so if there were no jersey-number issue.  But, that's it...  As for the Eli/Elway allusions,... ... apples and oranges.

I understand your point and though my understanding not posted moreso because you wished for a different "side" or "take" to this issue,

i see value in what you are referring to,

HOWEVER,

apples and oranges is you comparing your stuff (bringing it home) to HIS stuff,

lets face it,

the NFL is a different animal,

I mean,

guys get paid my salary in ONE day,

so,

if we are to COMPARE BUSH to others,

to be fair,

we should compare him to his peers,

ELI and ELWAY and MARIO are fair comparisons.

KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #55 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:10am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:05am, StegRock wrote:
Oh,... and this, Bill...

You really want to go there?!?!?  I'm "bringing it home" as in "relating it to 'the Gridiron'", to which I see a scenario that is analogous,... period.  Don't read too in between the lines,... just enough to get it... me right...

apples and oranges Steve,

I just posted why.

What I am saying is that,

you brought YOUR comparison into this,

and all I did was use the same comparison,

but in fact,

neither IMO is worth comparing,

as my above post relates why.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:15am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:08am, KillerKingSting wrote:
apples and oranges is you comparing your stuff (bringing it home) to HIS stuff

I don't disagree with you with regards to degree.  I said this earlier (in my post at 12:56 p.m.).  BUT, the "ick" here is the same exact (kind of) "ick" as my telethon scenario.  Actually,... though,... I'm coming to learn that maybe it's not "ick" and that it may be a move I shouldn't absolutely rule out... if I can find in myself the stomach for it...

Quote:
ELI and ELWAY and MARIO are fair comparisons.

This I still don't get.  Just like the rest of us, these guys have to make "career" and "life" decisions...  Their situations had nothing to do with philanthropy...  They were, strictly speaking, decisions about their careers and where they wanted to live their lives.
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #57 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:24am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:15am, StegRock wrote:

I don't disagree with you with regards to degree.  I said this earlier (in my post at 12:56 p.m.).  BUT, the "ick" here is the same exact (kind of) "ick" as my telethon scenario.  Actually,... though,... I'm coming to learn that maybe it's not "ick" and that it may be a move I shouldn't absolutely rule out... if I can find in myself the stomach for it...

I tell yah what,,,,,

I'll BEE the first to BEE critiqued on this then,

I just recently received a "present" from a patient I took care of.................after the fact, outside of the hospital setting mind you,............so all is legal and ethical...........

but here it is,

I will DOUBLE my donations to the GRID this season IF,

I get a BEE smiley

BRING IT BABE-BEE!!!!

Quote:
This I still don't get.  Just like the rest of us, these guys have to make "career" and "life" decisions...  Their situations had nothing to do with philanthropy...  They were, strictly speaking, decisions about their careers and where they wanted to live their lives.

Ah, nice point actually but,

in your point about the nudging of NFL rules in regards to a jersey number,

in comparison to the NFL rules in regards to the LAST placed TEAM should be able to DRAFT and USE the BEST player available,

its a fair comparison.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: May 15th, 2006, 6:53am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:24am, KillerKingSting wrote:
Ah, nice point actually but,

in your point about the nudging of NFL rules in regards to a jersey number,

in comparison to the NFL rules in regards to the LAST placed TEAM should be able to DRAFT and USE the BEST player available,

its a fair comparison.

While I concur with that "all things equal", it is up to the franchises to make their programs appealing to the top prospects.  It's not a rule, per se, that a player has to go where he was drafted.  He has the option to sit.  Furthermore, I have stated numerous times that I don't know if the NFL rule regarding jersey numbers is right.  I'm just saying that I don't think Reggie('s agent) is, that this isn't the way of "effecting change".
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #59 on: May 15th, 2006, 7:14am »

on May 15th, 2006, 6:53am, StegRock wrote:

While I concur with that "all things equal", it is up to the franchises to make their programs appealing to the top prospects.

NOR is anything but appealing my friend and hypothetically speaking,

if Bush was to get a secret visit from a team's "secret" agent, and was told that,

hey!!! Mr. Bush, Mr. Excitement! if all you want is a #5 jersy????????,

sit out for a year, we'll pay you WAY more than the Saints are willing to offer (and do so by making up for the loss of a yr's salary as well) and give you your #5 jersey! when we take you in Free Agency,

so no, given this hypothetical situation which is certainly in LAW to your rationale of player's choosing their right to their careers,

my comparison to Eli and Elway,

is right on target!

Quote:
It's not a rule, per se, that a player has to go where he was drafted.  He has the option to sit.

EXACTLY, so does Reggie

but,

in light that he ISN'T!

is much more admirable than what you are referring to as  his "cheese"

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006, 7:16am by KillerKingSting » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: May 15th, 2006, 7:30am »

Damn, dude!!!  I'm not saying he's not a stand-up guy overall.  He very well may be (granted, I don't know him personally and probably never will; I'm guessing you do...???).  As a matter of fact, I've been deflecting much of the blame on his agent in my posts.  One minute we're talking about rules...  One minute we're talking about personal "life" and "career" choices...  We're ALL over the place!  This is tiring...  I think this particular move to get his way is cheese.  THIS PARTICULAR MOVE!  There might be some lameness to what Elway and Eli did.  I can admit that, BUT at least I can see that those were MAJOR career choices, not at all petty, involving where they are going to be living their lives, potentially making their home bases and raising their families, and what they did did not involve a move even remotely analogous to Reggie's (agent's) move here or the telethon move I've contemplated.  They did not dangle any money anybody's way to get their way.  No bribes were offered.  Maybe there is comparable "lameness", but these are not circumstantial analogues, strictly speaking.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006, 2:50pm by Stegfucius » Logged
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #61 on: May 15th, 2006, 8:08am »

on May 15th, 2006, 7:30am, StegRock wrote:
(granted, I don't know him personally and probably never will; I'm guessing you do...???).

come on man,..................really ,

once again, the "personal" aura you continue to conect this with,..............is not where I have been going.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I've been deflecting much of the blame on his agent in my posts.

Great point! in fact, info I didn't know,

Quote:
One minute we're talking about rules...  One minute we're talking about personal "life" and "career" choices...  We're ALL over the place!

No. Its the BIGGER picture I have been referring to the whole time which is what you were originally referring to - right?

If not then, I debate that the "act" of him suggesting that he would donate a 6 figure amount of money to the city for a measley number on a shirt,

is not worth it's time in posting - not with 400,000$ on the line.

Lets be realistic here,

We are PART of the MEDIA - albeit a very small part, minor even, and one could even argue, unsubstantial when it comes to broadcasting the "decision-making process' of players etc etc,

STILL,

BEEcause you decided to FOCUS your attention on the "CHEESE" portion of what Reggie(s) agent is suggesting,

it lends a "negative" view, -  

in that sense, i believe WE (the unsubstantial media) have a responsibility to ALSO point out the POSITIVE view

which is EXACTLY what I was doing.

AND talking about the POSITIVE aspect on a player that ALSO made a career decision to actually BEE drafted by NOR and actually PLAY there as well................IS WORTH talking about,

whether it's reality or not,

the fact that, you could have emphasized instead,

what I hypothesized about him sitting out as Elway and Eli did,

is where the BIGGER picture comes in play and my comparison comes to frutition and the more important "lesson" to be taught or rather, focused.

Its the WHOLE picture here I thought, and,

if your saying that lets judge this ONE particular move on it's own and without relation to any other scenario,

your asking to NOT look at the BIG picture,

are you not?

And instead, as I posted above, if not asking for the big picture then, your asking to give insight on something too small and insignificant to even bother with.......................

the little picture,

that being,

what he (his agent) asks for in return for donation.

I still say, the comparison of a 6 figure donation in relation to a number on a shirt,

BIG DEAL

One last moment for me on this,

since it is getting tiring to you,

though,

I WAS having fun with it,

This BEE my last post on this subject.

BEE gentle Steg-O-Mania,

I was just having fun, ping-ponging outtakes,

so ciao ciao for now,

P.S. was going to use my BEE smiley but, couldn't find it,

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006, 9:28am by KillerKingSting » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: May 15th, 2006, 3:10pm »

on May 15th, 2006, 8:08am, KillerKingSting wrote:
since it is getting tiring to you

Do remember it was 1:30 a.m. for me... ... ... And, as a philosophy "scholar"/"dude", I have to deal with "disagree"able people/dorks all f'n day (although I am proud to announce that the nightmare semester ended on Friday and somehow the old man survived)... ...

Quote:
P.S. was going to use my BEE smiley but, couldn't find it

See "stung"!

on May 15th, 2006, 8:11am, KillerKingSting wrote:
Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

I triple my donations this year.

"TRIPLE," you say, huh??? ... (although that smiley should still be very red) ... Really???
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #63 on: May 16th, 2006, 4:01pm »

It does not appear that Bush is going to get his way...  The LATEST on the Bush jersey situation currently tops "The REAL Feed":

With No. 5 unsettled, Bush has No. 25 in the cards
ESPN: NFL (16.05.2006 15:06)
The NFL has not denied Reggie Bush's request to wear No. 5 this upcoming season, but early indications are that the New Orleans Saints draft pick will not get his way.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #64 on: May 16th, 2006, 4:38pm »

John Elway and Eli Manning didn't refuse to sign with the teams that originally drafted them because of any lifestyle choices or desires to raise families in a specific location...    they didn't want to go to teams that they perceived were "losers"... in other words, they weren't man enough to take on the challenge of righting a perceived sinking ship. They're players whose egos were already so inflated that they felt they were bigger than the game (than the league) and could call their own shots despite having never played a down of professional football.  I have no respect for players like that, but that's another argument altogether.

In this sense, Reggie Bush is pulling the same stunt.  He's coming into the league and saying "I want to wear #5 and I don't care if there's a rule against it -- I'm Reggie Bush -- I'm important enough that the NFL should change their rules."

Reggie Bush hasn't even signed an NFL contract yet (and will likely be a holdout because he'll demand #1 money despite not being the #1 pick) and he's already trying to buy a rule change?  The fact that the money is donated to a charity does add an insidious element to it all... like Steg said... holding the innocent people (who really need the money to help get their lives back on track) ransom.  I would have felt completely differently about this if Bush hadn't dangled the carrot over the Katrina victims collective heads -- using them to achieve a completely selfish outcome.

I also disagree with the notion that Mario Williams is wrong for not offering money to help the dislocated Katrina victims in Houston.  He has absolutely no obligation to do so.  And not doing so shouldn't taint the way people look at him.  If he decides to give some of his salary to charity, more power to him.  We'll hold him in even higher regard, but to insinuate that he is equally guilty for not offering $400k of his salary is asinine.  What he decides to do with his money is up to him and him alone.  No one has any right to suggest what he should do with it.

As for the resolution to the whole #5 jersey issue... Bush should be allowed to wear #5 because a precedent has been set.  Look at Atlanta... they've got a running back wearing #7!  
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #65 on: May 16th, 2006, 5:28pm »

on May 16th, 2006, 4:38pm, Philly wrote:
John Elway and Eli Manning didn't refuse to sign with the teams that originally drafted them because of any lifestyle choices or desires to raise families in a specific location...    they didn't want to go to teams that they perceived were "losers"... in other words, they weren't man enough to take on the challenge of righting a perceived sinking ship. They're players whose egos were already so inflated that they felt they were bigger than the game (than the league) and could call their own shots despite having never played a down of professional football.  I have no respect for players like that, but that's another argument altogether.

agreed!

Quote:
In this sense, Reggie Bush is pulling the same stunt.

Wrong. Its no where near the comparison you just brought to the table. To suggest so is..............................................asinine

Quote:
He's coming into the league and saying "I want to wear #5 and I don't care if there's a rule against it -- I'm Reggie Bush -- I'm important enough that the NFL should change their rules."

Really? He said that..............or YOU did?

Theres a BIG difference between YOUR PERCEPTION of what HE is thinking in contrast to what HE is REALLY thinking. FACT.

Quote:
Reggie Bush hasn't even signed an NFL contract yet (and will likely be a holdout

Thats funny. I could have sworn I heard yesterday that he is telling his agent that under NO circumstances is he to become a holdout.

You seem to BEE speaking for a man that in fact, can speak for himself.

Let him do so please.

Quote:
 The fact that the money is donated to a charity

Enough said on this - WHICH by the way, is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of this conversation - hands down.

I'm glad you can sit back, in your size 40 waist pants and suit, eating your way into my cardiologist office for a roto-rooter job in 10 year's time,

while the peeps of NOR are suffering like no other,

and yet,

you have the (like Eli, like Elway) inflated ego, the food on table, the access to computer to shoot your mouth off about what someone else is doing to help other's in need.................all for a stupid number on a shirt........get real.

Quote:
like Steg said... holding the innocent people (who really need the money to help get their lives back on track) ransom.

How overly dramatic. May I have another please?

Quote:
I also disagree with the notion that Mario Williams is wrong for not offering money to help the dislocated Katrina victims in Houston.  He has absolutely no obligation to do so.

And neither does Reggie Bush. In fact, if he did nothing at all - just wore whatever shirt was given to him and NO contributions,.............we wouldn't even be talking about this now would we????............but is that scenario actually BETTER for the people of NOR??

Quote:
And not doing so shouldn't taint the way people look at him.  If he decides to give some of his salary to charity, more power to him.  We'll hold him in even higher regard, but to insinuate that he is equally guilty for not offering $400k of his salary is asinine.

Not really. He doesn't deserve the #1 pickle - MOST people who are NOT asinine KNOW that - (looks like I can count you out of that one eh?),

And as I said, Houston is right next door - geographically speaking,............its not that far fetched as you are TRYING to persuade.

Quote:
No one has any right to suggest what he should do with it.

I have the RIGHT, as you so dramatically have done todau as well, to do and say as I please,  

ciao ciao now,

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #66 on: May 16th, 2006, 6:44pm »

on May 16th, 2006, 4:38pm, Philly wrote:
John Elway and Eli Manning didn't refuse to sign with the teams that originally drafted them because of any lifestyle choices or desires to raise families in a specific location...    they didn't want to go to teams that they perceived were "losers"... in other words, they weren't man enough to take on the challenge of righting a perceived sinking ship.

Well,... I'm not going to say that I totally disagree with you.  I do think that Elway went about things quite differently and more appropriately than the way the Manning family did.  I'll get to that below.  Nevertheless, I'm sure what you stated was a factor in both cases.  But, it's not like Denver and New York were franchises on the rise, either.  Denver circa 1982 was at a low point as were the Giants two years ago.  Wasn't San Diego just a season removed from having made the playoffs?  I'd say the Giants were just as worse off.  But, there were other factors like coaching staff and perceived opportunity, etc., etc.  And, in any event, their perceptions of these respective franchises as losers I agree had to be a factor.  That said, I think to just dismiss personal life choices is to miss a huge part of the picture.  I don't know about Eli.  His situation did seem to be all about the "football career" side of things.  But, most players come into the draft single and with few to no attachments.  Elway entered the league with a very serious girlfriend, who became his wife and mother of his children.  Family was on his mind.  He was a west-coast/wild west type guy who wanted to lay roots in a seaport city all the way across the nation in Baltimore, Maryland like he had a whole in his head.  Ultimately, he was going to exercise an option available to him as a player drafted into the league, namely sit out.  I mean to us fans this is the "Super Friends" draft.  For them, this is their career, their lives.  Ask yourselves, "How flexible am I with my life and just picking up (my family) and moving to wherever?"  I understand that as professional athletes they've accepted certain realities that the rest of us will likely never even have to confront.  But, that doesn't mean the basic life issues aren't still there.  It's just that the equation is a bit more complicated in a way that the average Joe's isn't.

Quote:
I also disagree with the notion that Mario Williams is wrong for not offering money to help the dislocated Katrina victims in Houston.  He has absolutely no obligation to do so.  And not doing so shouldn't taint the way people look at him.  If he decides to give some of his salary to charity, more power to him.  We'll hold him in even higher regard, but to insinuate that he is equally guilty for not offering $400k of his salary is asinine.  What he decides to do with his money is up to him and him alone.  No one has any right to suggest what he should do with it.

AGREED!  This is the kind of virtually inevitable residual effect when just one dude decides to go about something the wrong/selfish way, i.e. in a way which doesn't consider the "bigger picture".  The mud ends up getting splashed all over a bunch of bystanders.  It's proof in the pudding of a not well-thought-out course of action.  Mind you, I don't think Reggie intended his course of action to splash mud on Mario this way.  He probably dislikes that it has, which is proof in the pudding that it wasn't well-thought-through and was, therefore, an inadvisable course of action.  I think that is why Reggie has seemed to back down from it all and is planning on moving ahead with #25 (and has made his declaration about wanting to avoid a hold-out at all costs).  His conscience is kicking in.  Mind you, none of this means that the rule is good, no less necessary.  It's just the method that I (and Philly) are putting into question.
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #67 on: May 16th, 2006, 7:01pm »

Quote:
Enough said on this - WHICH by the way, is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of this conversation - hands down.

I'm glad you can sit back, in your size 40 waist pants and suit, eating your way into my cardiologist office for a roto-rooter job in 10 year's time,

while the peeps of NOR are suffering like no other,

and yet,

you have the (like Eli, like Elway) inflated ego, the food on table, the access to computer to shoot your mouth off about what someone else is doing to help other's in need.................all for a stupid number on a shirt........get real.

Quote:
And neither does Reggie Bush. In fact, if he did nothing at all - just wore whatever shirt was given to him and NO contributions,.............we wouldn't even be talking about this now would we????............but is that scenario actually BETTER for the people of NOR??

Ebveryone keeps talking about the BIG PIC. Its right ontop of this statement - hand downs - no other argument has territory nor NEAR REALITY importance than what is displayed right above.

You all are turning this into a ransom (for the sake of Philly's cheese steak sandwich digesting bowels, PLU-LEEZE!), when there are MUCH MORE important implications to the reality which the peeps of NOR are going through,

all for your philosophical BS,.....................to let other's suffer in lue of THIS?????,

Its dehumanizing.

Furthermore, Mario.
he played at N. CAR. State.
Not too long ago, they too were victims of a cane -if it happens again, lets eee if he puts up or not.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #68 on: May 16th, 2006, 8:53pm »

on May 16th, 2006, 7:01pm, KillerKingSting wrote:
You all are turning this into a ransom (for the sake of Philly's cheese steak sandwich digesting bowels, PLU-LEEZE!)

all for your philosophical BS,.....................to let other's suffer in lue of THIS?????

Who's getting "personal" with this?

And,... now the mud is splashing on me...  I'm now letting the people of New Orleans suffer... ...

Anyway,... the $1,000,000, or should I say, $400,000 question,... so now that it appears that Reggie is not going to get his coveted #5 on his jersey, will he still donate the $400,000 to the Katrina victims???  (Just a question...)
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #69 on: May 16th, 2006, 10:16pm »

Every single post I make on this subject screams the BIG PIC - not the personal one - take it as you may,

at least I can recognize your right to that (Reggie says this, says that, thinks this, thinks that,)  

the only mud you see, IMO, is the one that reflects off of your "personal" beliefs on this subject and the unrelentless staoic inflexibility of the pride that is associated and displayed for the IDEALISTIC-PHILOSOPHICAL emphasis on what is happening,  

rather than the MORE IMPORTANT HUMAN-PHYSICAL TRUTH of it all.

Thats all I am saying,

peace babe-bee!

KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #70 on: May 16th, 2006, 10:37pm »

on May 16th, 2006, 8:53pm, StegRock wrote:

And,... now the mud is splashing on me...  I'm now letting the people of New Orleans suffer... ...

Wouldn't you agree that by taking the side that you did,; by brining it to the media; advertising the "negative-philosophical" portion of the deed,

you somehow - be it as it may - personally have taken responsibility for just that?

Anyhow, I do apologize for bunching you with Philly's statement, it wasn't fair of me to do so.

Quote:
Anyway,... the $1,000,000, or should I say, $400,000 question,... so now that it appears that Reggie is not going to get his coveted #5 on his jersey, will he still donate the $400,000 to the Katrina victims???  (Just a question...)

I would hope so,,,,,,,,,,,,but i have heard it wasn't 400,000$ that he was donating, it was 25% of his jersey sales,....his #5 jersey sales,

steelkings

Email

« Reply #71 on: May 17th, 2006, 7:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2006, 7:10am by steelkings » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: May 17th, 2006, 7:15am »

on May 17th, 2006, 7:07am, steelkings wrote:

Oh,... sk,... that WAS funny!!!  I haven't gotten a good laugh here like that in a while!!!  Thanks!!!  That was GREAT!!!
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #73 on: May 17th, 2006, 4:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on May 17th, 2006, 7:07am, steelkings wrote:

Yes sk.......that was good indeed 
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2006, 4:13pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: May 17th, 2006, 8:37pm »

I'm still laughing at this...  That look Spock has there, and I can hear exactly how he'd say that...  And, in response to this,... Don't ever let anybody tell ya Steg can't laugh at himself...  That's what makes it so funny!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  11 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.