In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 13th, 2018, 1:26am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Super Bowl Song Stylists...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Co-commissioner Services
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Super Bowl Song Stylists...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Super Bowl Song Stylists...  (Read 411 times)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Super Bowl Song Stylists...
« on: Jan 27th, 2003, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What did everyone think of the entertainment and the anthem singers?

I for one thought it was inappropriate for Celine Dion (a French Canadian) to be singing "God Bless America" no matter how good a voice she has.  Are you telling me that there were no full-blooded Americans available to sing that song?  

I thought the National Anthem, as performed by the Dixie Chicks, was quite good.  I'm not a country music fan by any stretch of the imagination, but they harmonized well and did not take too many liberties with the song.  I hate when singers try to stretch a 2 minute song into 5 minutes...

As far as halftime... Good choices and good performances.  Nothing too wacky or offensive.  A variety of genres represented.

Pregame - Santana was great, Michelle Branch was very good, and Beyonce Knowles was pathetic.

Postgame - Bon Jovi was ok, although I don't think anyone was paying attention by that time.  
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

Re: Super Bowl Song Stylists...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 3:31pm »

Ditto. 'cept for two things. No real problem having a Canadian sing God Bles America, looked at it as a nice gesture to us, not by us.  

Beyonce Knowles, there was a high enough "boobage slipping out" factor that it held my attention, just fine.  
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 3:45pm »

I hate it when the lip sing. Shannia did, but No Doubt and Sting were live, and they did a good job.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 6:00pm »

Oh brother, do I always have to agree with you, Philly? I thought the performances were well-chosen and well-performed, overall, especially vis-a-vis the prior weekend's festivities.  Regarding a Canadian singing our National Anthem, I don't know.  I like FourTwoOh's idea and would like to think that that is the case.  HOWEVER, I never had any opinion of Canadians either way until I "existed" overseas for seven+ years.  Many of them harbor a deep resentment towards us that I never thought could exist.  I unfortunately take from my experiences in Korea and over there in general somewhat of a distaste for Canadians and their counter-American "mosaic" philosophy.  So, for me, though I was not repulsed by the idea of Celine singing our National Anthem, I would prefer, in this day and age, to see an American doing it as a show of unity under our flag.  Of course, given that premise, that would make Celine's singing it much better than American Rosanne Arnold's doing it.
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 6:33pm »

She just sang some religious song. Not our National Anthem.  

Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 6:34pm »

I can't stand Celine, but she did a nice job. The Dixie Chicks were fine as well. I don't have a problem with people changing the anthem, if it's done properly. I thought the best performer was Sting. That guy can sing. Of course Shannia's cleavage was outstanding and I couldn't take my eyes off them... I mean her... I mean her boobs.

IMO, these "Rock and Roll" performances before, during and after the game, take away from the day. If I wanted to hear music or watch a live performance, I'd turn on MTV. Enough already, just show us the game!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 7:17pm »

on Jan 27th, 2003, 6:33pm, FourTwoOh wrote:
She just sang some religious song. Not our National Anthem.  

Oops!  My bad! Got confused/overzealous!

And, yes, that does mitigate my argument.  But, at least, you guys now know where I stand on some other issues/if it were the National Anthem.

I am also going a long way to losing a whole demographic here, Canadians, just like Jimmy Kimmel did last night. Any opinions on that, by the way?
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 9:21pm »

I missed the Kimmel show... was it any good?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 11:17pm »

Listen, I like Jimmy Kimmel; I like "The Man Show"; I liked his little gig on the FOX football pregame show.  But, a Dave Letterman-style late show...  He's in over his head.  That kind of racey shtick works on cable on a show like "The Man Show" with a full complement of hot, half-naked chicks and a drunken audience who will laugh at incessant midget jokes for hours on end.  But, on network TV, where you have to tone it down and, moreover, in a talk show-type format... I found the show to be very repetitive AND I could not believe that Jon Gruden stood him up on the spot.  Kimmel hyped it all up that he had a surprise special guest via satellite for Warren Sapp, who was a guest on the show.  They went to go to Gruden, who was the surprise special guest via satellite, and he wasn't there.  The producer said that he left.  OUCH!  Anyway, the main guest was Snoop Dog and the other guest was George Clooney.  It is like they did not talk about anything.  They went on and on about what you can't do on network TV.  Boring! And hackneyed!  It was really just an hour of gibberish.  Ain't gonna' last in my opinion.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 12:55pm »

Well, for better or for worse, I am starting to think more and more like Rick Kamla of Fanball.  Here is what he had to say about "The Jimmy Kimmel Show":

Two, though I never thought for a second "The Jimmy Kimmel Show" would be solid humor, I still found myself shocked at how unfunny the show was -- and is. The Armenian Comedian? I mean, it's worse than Leno. Please, Jimmy, don't go Antonio Freeman on your career? And please, Snoop, for the love of god get out before it's too late.

Here is a link to the whole article; it's actually a player-rankings piece :

http://www.fanball.com/article.cfm/ID.1181

Enjoy!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2018 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.