In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2017, 6:55am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Vanderjagt rips Manning and Dungy

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Vanderjagt rips Manning and Dungy
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vanderjagt rips Manning and Dungy  (Read 742 times)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Vanderjagt rips Manning and Dungy
« on: Jan 30th, 2003, 9:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Aren't kickers funny little guys?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0129/1500456.html

Summary: Vanderjagt feels that Manning and Dungy are too mild-mannered to lead the Colts to greatness.

Thoughts? I think he might be right.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2005, 7:44pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Vanderjagt rips Manning and Dungy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 12:48pm »

I, too, tend to agree with Vandy here.  Moreover, Mike is not just your typical kicker.  I believe the guy played some quarterback in college and also served as the kicker.  So, the guy's got a little more "football sense" than your Gramatica types and his words here do ring true.

In any case, dudes are pmsin' this week.  I debated posting anything about this yesterday, but Philly's post here seems to be a good segue.  Jerry Porter is out of his skull criticizing the Tampa Bay secondary the way he did.  You don't get scorched like that and then talk the kind of shit he did.  Granted the front four played a HUGE part in those interceptions by getting extreme pressure on Gannon, but the secondary definitely sealed the deals.  Here's the article quoting Jerry Porter talking smack about the Buccaneers secondary:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0128/1499962.html

Puullleeeeeeeease! You have a lot to learn, Mr. Porter.  Start takin' more notes from Jerry and Tim while you've still got them around.
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 12:52pm »

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong... he made a HUGE mistake and I'm sure he'll pay for it. I'm all for speaking your mind and expressing your honest opinion, but be smart about it. If he had a problem, he should have addressed it internally and not brought it to the attention of the entire world. What the hell was he thinking? Sounds like a guy that desperately wants to be traded or sit on the bench... What an idiot.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 12:54pm »

I guess he figured that since he said it in Canada, no one would care?  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 8:15pm »

WW! Did you hear those scathing comments of Peyton's directed toward Vanderjagt? HLY shit! Someone's in for an ass-whooping!

Ya' know I finally saw the Vanderjagt interview! It really did not seem like that big of a deal. Stupid on his part, but more hype than anything, in my opinion. However, and I'll say it again, I do think the guy has a point. Just bad execution!

I also wanted to say that Manning's condescending attitude when he made his comments came off dickish to me. Whatever.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 4:30pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2003, 1:27pm »

Via "the Gridiron Newsstand" and out of CNN/SI, I thought these two pieces on this topic were GREAT reading (read the two articles in the order presented as the second further develops the point the first one leaves off on):

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/2/020248-2292-038.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/phil_taylor/news/2003/02/03 /hot_button/

Check out this quote in particular from the former piece:

"If the Colts cut Vanderjagt before June 1, he would count $750,000 against the 2003 salary cap instead of his full salary of $1.65 million. If the Colts cut the kicker after June 1, they can split the $750,000 salary cap hit over the next two seasons.

Mortensen said he's surprised Colts president Bill Polian hasn't cut Vanderjagt and expects the move in the next week or so. Mortensen also said he knows Dungy well enough to suspect the coach wants Vanderjagt released.

'To me,' Mortensen said, 'you've got to make a statement and get him out of there now.'"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 9:49am »

With the dearth of decent kickers available, I imagine teams will be lining up to sign Vanderjagt.

I realize the statements that started this whole ball rolling were not handled in the best manner, but who wouldn't want a kicker with a little bit of fire and desire to win??
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 11:58am »

on Feb 5th, 2003, 9:49am, Philly wrote:
With the dearth of decent kickers available, I imagine teams will be lining up to sign Vanderjagt.

I realize the statements that started this whole ball rolling were not handled in the best manner, but who wouldn't want a kicker with a little bit of fire and desire to win??

I agree, Philly!

Here is ESPN's Sean Salisbury's take on Manning's comments:

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/salisbury_sean/1503415.html

Whatever! Manning did the right thing, and, in any case, it seems like all is good and well ??? , or good and done, or well and done, or well, done and good, or well-done and good, or well and good ??? , now. Everybody has made up.  BOOOORRRING! Anyway, here's the proof right off "the Gridiron Newsstand":

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/020461-7846-038.html

The soap opera was fun while it lasted! - Mu-ah-ha-ha-ha!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 2:53pm »

Manning did the right thing by accusing his kicker of getting "liquored up"?

Did you listen to the comments he made?  He sounded quite sober in my opinion.

Sadly, I still think that Vanderjagt is right and unless Dungy and Manning take more vocal leadership (and less wishy-washy leadership) of the team, they're destined to be Wild Card casualties each year.

Remember how lifeless the Bucs were each year in the playoffs under Dungy?  Seems a lot like the crash Indy took this year against the Jets.
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 4:05pm »

I read today that both Manning and Vanderjagt have called each other on the phone and have apologized to one another.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2003, 11:10pm »

on Feb 5th, 2003, 2:53pm, Philly wrote:
Manning did the right thing by accusing his kicker of getting "liquored up"?

Did you listen to the comments he made?

Come on Philster! Do your homework, my friend! Where is that wavelength that we are both usually traveling on? As per the article from the Indianapolis Star that I cited, I was pointing out that I thought Manning "did the right thing" in "apologizing." What else could I have meant, especially given the context of the rest of my posts? Jeeese, even KJ 76 got confused here, evidenced by his post, the point of which is basically out of sequence. :sheesh:
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:10pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:00am »

Something tells me that the Colts will be playing with more fire next season... "I'll show that idiot kicker!"
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:02am by Walker Boh » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:27am »

on Feb 6th, 2003, 12:00am, Walker Boh wrote:
Something tells me that the Colts will be playing with more fire next season... "I'll show that idiot kicker!"

Could CNN/SI's Phil Taylor have hit the nail on the head when he jested that this might have been Vanderjagt's master plan all along? - Mu-ah-ha-ha-ha!  And they say kickers just swing their legs! Hmph!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 9:14am »

on Feb 5th, 2003, 11:10pm, StegRock wrote:

Come on Philster! Do your homework, my friend! Where is that wavelength that we are both usually traveling on? As per the article from the Indianapolis Star that I sited, I was pointing out that I thought Manning "did the right thing" in "apologizing." What else could I have meant, especially given the context of the rest of my posts? Jeeese, even KJ 76 got confused here, evidenced by his post, the point of which is basically out of sequence. :sheesh:

My board hasn't been waxed in a while now, so I haven't been surfing many wavelengths.  (Go ahead and twist this statement around... I know you're chomping at the bit...)

Also, you sited an article?

If you cite a site, can it be considered a siting or is it still a citing?  What a sight that would be...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:29pm »

on Feb 6th, 2003, 9:14am, Philly wrote:
My board hasn't been waxed in a while now, so I haven't been surfing many wavelengths. (Go ahead and twist this statement around... I know you're chomping at the bit...)

Also, you sited an article?

If you cite a site, can it be considered a siting or is it still a citing? What a sight that would be...

I don't know what you're talking about!

And, just for your information, I had typed that "Last Edit" part at the bottom myself for fun! See!  You probably don't even remember seeing, or should I say, siting that. You don't know what you're talking about!

Uhhhh...  If that doesn't work, uhhhhh... I was merely tryin' to say that that was an article I saw.  I mean... what if I decided after the fact not to "cite" the article, but just wanted to tell the reader that I "sited" it, would that then be "exciting"?

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 12:13am »

I am so glad someone in the "kind of big, kind of mainstream" media finally stated "the fact of the matter as a matter of fact" regarding this whole debacle.  Paul Charchian of Fanball.com states what I, and a couple others of us, have been saying throughout this ordeal.  That is that "Vandy has a point."  Well, read it and weep or disagree or whatever it is that you want to do...

"Lost in the shuffle of the Manning-Vanderjagt cat fight is one unmistakable fact: Vandy is right.  

To this point, Manning and Dungy have proven themselves capable of getting teams to the playoffs, and incapable of winning once there. Winning playoff games requires intensity and focus beyond what is needed to salt away a regular season patsy.  

Manning and Dungy are both low-key competitors. They win with smarts, not fiery emotion. To win three or four playoff games, a team needs intensity, especially from its leaders. Did anyone else notice that the Raiders seemed passive throughout the Super Bowl-even in its pregame introductions?

Vandy was right to be concerned. The Colts will only go as far as Manning and Dungy take them. Unless those two learn to become more effective leaders, they'll never hoist the Lombardi Trophy."

Here is the link to the entire piece:

http://www.fanball.com/article.cfm/ID.1195.
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 4:17pm »

Well, it looks as though Vanderjagt will pay for his comments... literally!

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/6188673

I don't think anyone will argue that Vandy has a legitimate point; it's the way he expressed it that caused the problem. This is not over. The damage has been done and you can't just take back what he said. He questioned the heart of his coach and quarterback PUBLICLY. He better have a career year or I think he'll be gone before the season ends.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 7:42pm »

I'm diggin' up this oldie up with some new Vanderjerk news. I used to really like this guy. I thought of him as somewhat of a real athlete as he played some quarterback in college. But, he once again goes about putting his true colors on display. From "The REAL Feed":

Another challenger for Vanderjagt
SI.com: NFL (28.07.2005 12:50)
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2005, 7:43pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 4:56pm »

The IRONY...

That shit's DEFINITELY going to come back and HAUNT his ass!!!
Chumpzilla
Red Zone Master
# 203

"I Love The Gridiron"

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 10:22pm »

One can only hope.  He dished out the BS.  Let's see if he can take it!  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: May 28th, 2009, 6:16pm »

Remember this guy...???  Wonder if anyone will decide to the on him in the NFL...  From "The REAL Feed":

Ex-NFL kicker Mike Vanderjagt obtains release from Toronto Argonauts of CFL
ESPN: NFL (28.05.2009 15:16)
Mike Vanderjagt has given the Toronto Argonauts the boot.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.