In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 19th, 2024, 1:54am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Gridiron Newsstand & The REAL Feed

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Referee, Line Judge, Field Judge, Back Judge, Replay Official, Side Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman)
   the Gridiron Newsstand & The REAL Feed
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Gridiron Newsstand & The REAL Feed  (Read 9632 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: the Gridiron Newsstand & The REAL Feed
« Reply #25 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 6:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, Philly, I don't know what everybody else thinks.  But, why don't you go on over to "the Gridiron Newsstand" and see what the admin here thinks about your idea?

Nice to see an admin that listens to his constituents and, when appropriate, let's their thoughts become reality!

I will say this, though, for aesthetic purposes, I do like to add these IN PAIRS.  Right now, "Football.com" is hangin' down there like a dingleberry!  So, if you guys can propose ONE more here soon, that would be great.  BUT, NO (WHAT I WOULD CONSIDER) SECONDARY (fantasy-specific) SOURCES, like KFFL, FootballInsider, etc., etc.  Fanball, actually, pushes that envelope.  They are kind of somewhere in between a primary and secondary site in my opinion.  Anyway, got another ONE, fellas!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:01pm »

Steggy--

I would leave it as is.   I don't think it is dangling or looks funny.  Looks good to me.

One suggestion, would be to shrink the fonts of the writting "The Reel Feed" OR just stick that at the top of the Reel Feed section.   I can't read it all without scrolling.

On the left, I would shrink the font a little too EXCEPT, I would enlarge the print that says, "INCLUDING ALL NEWSPAPERS COVERAGE........."  

or/and

get rid of the GBRFL logo.  As I have said in the past, you got a killer site here. Promote Footballer.com instead the GBRFL.  

Just minor suggestions.  I know you have done a shit load of work and it shows!!!  I also know you have a ton of other stuff going on.

I do love having the resources RIGHT THERE.  IT IS SWEET!!!!!!!  I use it all the time.  Especially to get all the draft info. and to follow my keeper players!  (Like Stacey Mack who will be the starter in Houston.)

Take care,

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:03pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:02pm »

Well, guys, don't leave a request like that laying out there too long, 'cause you gotta' know that Steggie is gonna' be on it like white on rice!  Point being, I already went out and found a nice site to add to make the page look nice.  So, now we are back at needin' TWO proposals, at least if we want to keep things looking aesthetically pleasing over there.

Oh, by the way, the next NEW site added was NFLPlayers.com!  Really good site for info, actually!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:12pm »

Steggy--

One other thing, that INSIDERS.com website is basically a pay site.  I could not find any info there that wasn't subscription based.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:33pm »

Dirk, thanks for the thoughts, but I got bad news for your proposals, unfortunately...

1)  You are going to have to scroll on "The REAL Feed" no matter what!  There are 50 items in that feed, and I want to leave it at that max amount that I can have.  That would be the only thing I could do that would really make a difference.  As for font size, I would rather leave those the way they are.  It is the old "easier on the eyes"/"less scrolling" debate regarding font sizes.  I go with easier on the eyes on that one.  As for the graphic, again, its removal is only going to help marginally!

2)  I thought about the same thing when I made that GRAPHIC.  Point is, that sentence there is part of the GRAPHIC, and graphics changes involve much more work than just text alterations.  That sentence in that font fit under there evenly, which I needed for spacing reasons that are unapparent to the viewer.  Again, I kind of agree with you, but I ain't opening that can of graphics worms, at least not right now, especially when the can is much bigger than the significance in this case.

3)  Get off the "downplaying the GBRFL" kick...  You know my eventual plans with the home page/index page.  However, GBRFL-style leagues are still a BIG part of the plans I have for things @ FantasyFootballer.com.  Also, I think it is the GBRFL logo that makes "the Gridiron" graphic look complete.  That's why I originally made that SINGLE graphic look that way.  Again, all that aside, this is ultimately a sticky, time-consuming graphics issue.  To start taking "the Gridiron" graphic there apart and tinkering... oh brother!  That's a TON of work!

SO, in conclusion, guys, all ideas are welcome and I do not ever want to disappoint you guys.  BUT, that having been said, given that fact, please try to consider the other side of things, i.e. the work it is going to give me, when making suggestions.  Obviously, something like proposing an additional link, smiley or avatar is something I can do in a jiffy.  But, things involving the general layout of the site typically are going to take A LOT of time and effort, and in many cases may actually be debatable, e.g. your first suggestion.  I, for one, am a surfer who does not mind scrolling.  Notwithstanding that tiny font for "the Gridiron Newsstand" pitch, I, personally, generally have more of an aversion to smaller fonts, a style that most sites take, and even "the Gridiron" based on YaBB defaults, than extra scrolling.  You will notice that sites that I have made from the bottom up, the GBRFL site, the CBFL site, the English Master site, tend to have bigger fonts (and, yes, more scrolling).  Anyway, I hope you (all) can appreciate where I am coming from here!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:38pm »

Steg--

Quote:
Dirk, thanks for the thoughts, but I got bad news for your proposals, unfortunately...  

No, not bad news.  Just news.

Quote:
Just minor suggestions.  I know you have done a shit load of work and it shows!!!  I also know you have a ton of other stuff going on.  

I know you worked your ass off.  As you know, I have been super fan of this sucker.  Thus why I said just suggestions!!  And I said I know you have a ton of other shit going on.......  

Not being critical.  I am always completmentary, thus why I am trying to pimp this baby!!

As far as GBRFL kick, no kick.  Just did not know it was all one Graphic....... I thought it could just be removed.  That is what I get for knowing nothinh regarding that type of stuff.

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:42pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:41pm »

on Apr 10th, 2003, 7:12pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
Steggy--

One other thing, that INSIDERS.com website is basically a pay site.  I could not find any info there that wasn't subscription based.

Dude, I just went back there again, and I could visit a number of articles no problem (when clicking on the featured article as well as the "team-specific" links down the middle).  I don't know what you are talking about.  Based on what I said above about adding two sites at a time (though you disagreed on the necessity of that) AND the fact that I am able to surf around the site in question here for free, it makes me think that you just want to give me MORE WORK.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 7:49pm »

on Apr 10th, 2003, 7:41pm, StegRock wrote:

Dude, I just went back there again, and I could visit a number of articles no problem (when clicking on the featured article as well as the "team-specific" links down the middle).  I don't know what you are talking about.  Based on what I said above about adding two sites at a time (though you disagreed on the necessity of that) AND the fact that I am able to surf around the site in question here for free, it makes me think that you just want to give me MORE WORK.

Steg--

Hmmm...  I am pretty sure my goal in life is to not give you more work.   Thus why I said in an earlier post that the one "dangler" as you called it looked fine, IN MY OPINION.   I surfed the site and got  insiders subscription for 7.95 on basically every article.  Maybe it was just the draft articles.  

SHIT,. I AM NOT BEING CRITICAL!  If I have said it once, I have said it twice, this site is incredible.  I appreciate all the work you have done.  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 8:46pm »

Dirk, I re-checked out "The Insiders" again.  I clicked on different things, based primarily on what you said above regarding the direction you went in at that site.  Yes, it does appear that ALL the draft stuff is only available to their paying customers.  I even went to some of the other team pages that I had not gone to earlier and realized that there was a significant amount more pay-only stuff there as well.  I then realized that they differentiate their pay services from their free stuff with a "red star".  If it has a red star, you are not going to get the "whole story."  That having been said, there is still a nice amount of free stuff, including the summary preludes, which I find quite useful in a "KFFL hot wire"-type way irrespective of whether they are for a pay article or a free one.  And, the articles that are available for free are nice.  That having been said, they are getting dropped down from that cozy, second-row position on "the Gridiron Newsstand" they currently hold. , Dirk! Thanks!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 10:37pm »

I use that Insiders site quite a bit in my pre-draft analysis.  There is a lot of premium (i.e., $$$) info there, but I've been able to find quite a fair amount for free.

Their draft pages are very nice.  Their player profiles are a bit lacking, but there's plenty of other info there.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Apr 12th, 2003, 11:35am »

Guys, "The REAL Feed" is making me "REAL Fed up"! Anyway, really, the point being, we are experiencing some technical difficulties on "The REAL Feed".  I was adding some more sources to the feed last night and after I updated the system, it went down.  I thought I would wake up this morning and it would be working again.  No dice, though! I have made the contact to our e-syndication company's technicians, and I am sure it will be back up shortly, by Monday the latest, I would expect.  Thank you for your anticipated understanding and patience!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: Apr 12th, 2003, 11:45am »

on Apr 12th, 2003, 11:35am, StegRock wrote:
Guys, "The REAL Feed" is making me "REAL Fed up"! Anyway, really, the point being, we are experiencing some technical difficulties on "The REAL Feed".  I was adding some more sources to the feed last night and after I updated the system, it went down.  I thought I would wake up this morning and it would be working again.  No dice, though! I have made the contact to our e-syndication company's technicians, and I am sure it will be back up shortly, by Monday the latest, I would expect.  Thank you for your anticipated understanding and patience!

CANCEL the above!

I just went back over to the "control panel" for my account with our e-syndication company and tried ONE MORE thing.  Well, either it worked OR the techs over there are just that good and already responded to my message!  At any rate, "The REAL Feed" is back up and going, so get on over and get your fill, boyz!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19th, 2003, 10:52pm »

Okay, this is going to be a self-praise session, I must admit.  But, fuck, how much easier has FF research been made by "the Gridiron Newsstand" and "The REAL Feed"?  At least it has for me!  Since launching that page, I have totally changed my daily FF diet.  No more religiously going to the CNN/SI and ESPN index pages, KFFL's Hot Wire, Fanball, etc.  I mean I just tonight went to the ESPN and CNN/SI index pages because I wanted to get NBA and NHL news.  For goodness sake, those pages take like forever to load.  Whereas, for my FF research now, I just go to "the Gridiron Newsstand", on which also is "The REAL Feed", all of which opens like in a jiffy.  If I want to click to further articles, cool, 'cause at least I get around those damn index pages with all their graphics and scripts and what-not, or should I say, what-"knot"!  But, usually, the headline and the article description, which often goes therewith on "The REAL Feed", is enough.  I then just hit up "the Gridiron Newsstand" and corroborate things from the "primary" sources, i.e. the local newspapers.  Then, having all those "Big Media" links right there is a nice bonus for occasional use.  I mean that page, if NOTHING ELSE, has totally streamlined my FF research.  I still basically get the same news intake, but spend like probably 75% less time.  I mean you could do more, you could always do more, I suppose, but there is a point at which it's overkill and you are actually not being efficient anymore and drowning yourself in information.  Just get the basics and apply your God-given ability to reason!  That's the key to the kingdom... of fantasy football greatness!  Okay, I'll step down now!
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2003, 3:07pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 2:59pm »

Hey Steg...

You da muhfuckin' man!    <-- I love this smiley.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 5:01pm »

I think it is a stroke of GENIUS to have the REAL feed and the Newsstand on the same page.  I get a blurb on the REAL feed and the whole story from the Newsstand, should I desire more depth.    

I think you've done an outstanding job with all of this Steg.    

My only complaint (here it comes ) is that I think sometimes the REAL feed is a little bit slow on the news reporting.  I've already read the story about Weathersby on a few different outlets.  And no sign of it on the REAL feed.  I've also found some interesting stories/rumors concerning the Lions trading out of their #2 spot and shopping Shaun Rogers for a #1 pick.  When I look on the REAL feed, I get 3 stories about the Ravens draft plans and 1 story on Russian oil in Siberia.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2003, 5:02pm by Philly » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #40 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 5:33pm »

on Apr 21st, 2003, 5:01pm, Philly wrote:
I think it is a stroke of GENIUS to have the REAL feed and the Newsstand on the same page.  I get a blurb on the REAL feed and the whole story from the Newsstand, should I desire more depth.    

I think you've done an outstanding job with all of this Steg.    

My only complaint (here it comes ) is that I think sometimes the REAL feed is a little bit slow on the news reporting.  I've already read the story about Weathersby on a few different outlets.  And no sign of it on the REAL feed.  I've also found some interesting stories/rumors concerning the Lions trading out of their #2 spot and shopping Shaun Rogers for a #1 pick.  When I look on the REAL feed, I get 3 stories about the Ravens draft plans and 1 story on Russian oil in Siberia.

I hear ya Philly.  However, I can say that usually the real feed is right on top of it.  I have compared versus some other sites.  And I would be willing to bet that there is something wrong with the feed today.  There have been no articles on todays date at all.  I would have to say that the news service fucked up.  There would be a ton of articles concerning the draft, Weathersby, and the Lions dangling S. Rogers out there.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 5:38pm »

on Apr 21st, 2003, 5:01pm, Philly wrote:

I don't know if I agree with your assessment that "The REAL Feed" is slower at disseminating relevant news than others.  I find it to be ahead of other sources sometimes and behind them at others.  It just seems to kind of depend on our "update/refresh" times versus the others' and when the articles are actually published.  Now, as for today specifically, with regards to the dearth of news coming through as well as that Russian news item, which I just now removed yet again, NewKnowledge, our e-syndication company, is having some technical problems.  So, today is NOT a good litmus test of "The REAL Feed's" overall/typical effectiveness!  Thanks for the de facto heads-up, though!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 9:05pm »

I hate being critical, because I have an idea how much blood, sweat, tears, and cold hard cash you put into this site... and the last thing you want is bitching and moaning...  but I also believe in being honest and hope that my criticism can be construed as constructive.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 9:17pm »

on Apr 21st, 2003, 9:05pm, Philly wrote:
I hate being critical, because I have an idea how much blood, sweat, tears, and cold hard cash you put into this site... and the last thing you want is bitching and moaning...  but I also believe in being honest and hope that my criticism can be construed as constructive.

Absolutely understood... and agreed with!  And, I meant that "thank you" above, really!  I did, however, mean to dissent on the issue of the timeliness of the news provided on "The REAL Feed".  In any event, I always want to be apprised if any of you notice something that needs to be fixed or whatever.  It is just that in this case it's out of my hands.  These are technical difficulties that I cannot do anything directly about.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: Jul 22nd, 2003, 4:04pm »

Just picked up another resource for "the Gridiron Newsstand", a fourth newspaper for the San Diego Chargers.

Again, if any of you all have any to contribute, LET ME KNOW!  It's all about teamwork here on "the Gridiron"!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: Jul 23rd, 2003, 6:36pm »

HELP WANTED!!  HELP WANTED!!  HELP WANTED!!  HELP WANTED!!  HELP WANTED!!

Well, fellas, you all are gonna' get another great chance to make a substantive difference on/contribution to "the Gridiron".  After much deliberation over a specific suggestion given me a bit back, which, again, had me thinking for quite some time, I believe I have come up with a great middle-ground idea that WILL make our newsstand that much better!

I am going to add FAN SITES to the current list of newspaper sites and official team sites, high-quality fan sites that is!  So, I would like your guys' input on this!  I am just going to go to a search engine and find them that way.  BUT, if there are certain ones that you guys are already familiar with or want to go out and find on your own and, of course, like, those are the ones I would rather add. For an example of the kind of fan site I am talking about, here is one for the Broncos:  http://www.orangemane.com/.  All in all, I plan to add 2 to 6 for each team, ideally, probably 4.  Given those parameters, I will then go by "first come, first serve".  So, you wanna' leave your mark on "the Gridiron" and make a difference, let me have it, or should I say, them.

This site may be "by me", but it is "for us", and I once again want to thank YOU ALL for ALL the help you guys have given me!  I am...

...Sincerely,
Steve Stegeman of "the Gridiron @ FantasyFootballer.com", the site where you can make a difference, maybe even the difference!
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

View Profile WWW

« Reply #46 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 12:18am »

Hey 'yall

Any Jets fans in the house ?  Can I get a 'Woot' 'Woot' ? --- OK, now the ladies (woot woot).

Steggie, here's some cool Jets fan sites that should pass your rigid standards of approval:

http://www.nyjetsfan.com/  
http://www.jetsinsider.com/  
http://www.theganggreen.com/  

Geez, what's with all these wacky commands and psycho faces, it's going to take me a bit to figure this out.

Later !
Junkyard Jake :^)

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #47 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 8:33am »

Hey, JunkYardJake!  Good to see you aboard...

Anyway, here are a few "friendly" Eagles sites that should be listed...

www.700level.com
www.nestofdeath.com
www.eaglefan.net
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2003, 10:30am by Philly » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 4:14pm »

on Jul 24th, 2003, 12:18am, junkyardjake wrote:
Hey 'yall

Any Jets fans in the house ?  Can I get a 'Woot' 'Woot' ? --- OK, now the ladies (woot woot).

Steggie, here's some cool Jets fan sites that should pass your rigid standards of approval:

http://www.nyjetsfan.com/  
http://www.jetsinsider.com/  
http://www.theganggreen.com/

Well, I don't know about a 'Woot' 'Woot' for the Jets, BUT I'll give a BIG 'Woot' 'Woot' for Junkyard Jake of JunkyardJake.com and his comin' 'round these parts!

And, thanks for those suggestions, guys!  Keep 'em comin'!

As for the ladies, 'Hoots' 'Hoots' ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Jul 25th, 2003, 1:42pm »

Guys,

I have not yet gone about adding the "Fan sites".  Keep them comin' at me, PLEASE!  That is going to be a BIG job (with which I am not getting as much assistance as I anticipated )!

But, in any event, I have added a handful more newspaper links.  The teams whose resources were added to are the Jets, Ravens, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Giants (as if we needed another one), Eagles (2), Redskins, Rams (2), 49ers, and Seahawks.  I also added About.com's football page to our "Big Media News Sources".  I hope they help you all out!

Also, peripherally related, I have just updated my "Great Eight FF Information Sites", which are displayed on the GBRFL home page.  If you are interested, go to:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/gbrfl/index.htm#Information%20Sites.

Again, I'd really like to tailor-make "the Gridiron Newsstand" by adding resources you would like to see there (within the scope of what the page is, of course, i.e. not "yet another" links page for other "second- or third-tier" FF sites... that's what the aforementioned "Great Eight" is for and, anyway, long, "difficult-to-wade-through" lists of those are readily available elsewhere).  But, I don't read minds, and I surely can't do this for "you" if "you" don't speak up!

Again, I hope everything that is going on here helps and adds a unique, new taste to your usual FF diet!

Peace out,
StegRock
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2003, 9:00pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.