In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:38pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Side Judge, Back Judge, Umpire, Referee, Line Judge)
   Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site  (Read 5208 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Slight technical difficulties on "the Gridiron
« Reply #50 on: Jun 16th, 2003, 8:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

-"Asta la vista 'Internal Server Error'!"

As always, though, given the "team effort" here, do keep me abreast of any glitches or problems you do incur in the future.  Thank you!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #51 on: Jun 16th, 2003, 9:02pm »

on Jun 16th, 2003, 8:44pm, StegRock wrote:
-"Asta la vista 'Internal Server Error'!"

As always, though, given the "team effort" here, do keep me abreast of any glitches or problems you do incur in the future.  Thank you!

YEA!!!  Great job!!

This bitch is much faster!!!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 6:08pm »

Guess who is back...

I've just gotten a slew of Internal Server Error messages.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 9:03pm »

Me too!  Oh, how ironic!?!?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 8:34pm »

I'm gettin' it again here tonight. Oh, brother!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 9:43pm »

Knock on wood... I've been error-free so far.  Must just be that lousy dial-up connection you have.  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:10pm »

on Nov 17th, 2003, 9:43pm, Philly wrote:
Knock on wood... I've been error-free so far.  Must just be that lousy dial-up connection you have.  

Tell me about it!  Another "reality" that "indirectly factors into my running things" that needs to be "considered"/"dealt with" eventually.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #57 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 2:56pm »

As someone once sang(I wanna say Elton John but not positive)

"The bitch, the bitch, the bitch is back!"

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2003, 6:44pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 4:41pm »

Oh, I'm gettin' KILLED right now!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 3:38pm »

That Internal Server Error has been vicious all day today.  Just about unbearable.  When I try to post, it keeps popping up, then once I get it to go through, I see there are 3 or 4 of the same posts.  Then I have to try to remove the extras, and the error comes up again.  Ack!  
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 6:59pm »

If you're looking for feedback, I don't have a clue about this error.  I come on a lot.  Never got that error.  If it helps to know, I have Optimum On Line cable modem, but I'm told by the experts I know that this shouldn't be the cause and it could be a problem with the browser people are using.  You may have said this already.  I didn't read the whole thread.  The experts say that the first thing to ask is if the people with problems are using Internet Explorer or Netscape.  If so, Netscape could be the problem.  Otherwise, like you said, look to see if the right scripts or applets are downloaded.  I guess if it isn't, it asks for it.  Don't know.  You guys are better than I am at this.  If none of this is right, check to see if you have the updates loaded in Internet Explorer.  Check to see if you have the service pack for Internet Explorer downloaded.  Go to Microsoft.com and you can find it.  Sometimes people with dial-up modems don't want to spend the on-line time it takes to download this stuff.  But it may be the problem.

Let me know if any of this makes sense to you, and if so I'll ask around some more.

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:00pm by Callie » Logged

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #61 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 11:13pm »

This is ultimately an in-house problem, so to speak.  You've been getting lucky, Callie.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #62 on: Mar 10th, 2004, 7:35pm »

The bitch has really decided to visit me again!!  Ms Internal Server Error has visited me at work and at home.

BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #63 on: Mar 10th, 2004, 7:37pm »

I got it as few times as well at work. It wasn't that big of a problem though...not like it normally is...
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2004, 7:37pm by BarnabyWilde » Logged

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #64 on: Mar 10th, 2004, 10:05pm »

I had it once while cruising the forums, but had BIG problems with it in the chat room.  Thing chased me right out of there earlier today while I was chatting with kidcrash.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #65 on: Mar 10th, 2004, 10:21pm »

I haven't had any problems. The timing of this is interesting, though...  April begins the months during which I pay for all this stuff.  All of my annual fees are due between April and July.  Anyway,...
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #66 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:05am »

Here we go again.  All morning I've had it come up numerous times.  Traffic has been non-existent when I've been here.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 1:19pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:05am, Philly wrote:
Here we go again.  All morning I've had it come up numerous times.  Traffic has been non-existent when I've been here.

Regarding the part I've put in bold, as I have mentioned before, I believe on this thread, remember this is not only a function of the traffic coming through here.  It has more to do with our being on a SHARED server, i.e. on a server that hosts MANY sites, not just ours.  This has two relevant ramifications:  1) other sites' being busy affects the "user resources" available to us (which can ultimately cause the "Internal Server Error", which, again, is not a "problem", as such, which implies "fixability"; it is an an "overflow" thing based on the "resource limit settings" of the server) and 2) because there are many sites on one server, so as to avoid the server's crashing, the "resource limit settings" (like a governor on an engine) that they program in are (of a) low (threshold).

The best way to absolutely change this reality, as I have suggested before, is for us to move from a "Shared Server" to a "Dedicated Server", i.e. a server dedicated to/used by us only.  This, however, requires a MUCH GREATER financial commitment, one I am NOT even close to being able to make. A 10-buck or so donation from EVERY ONE of our members surely could make a difference.  Thank you to those who have given me "a hand" (substantive help) and not just "a hand" (an ovation).  ...  So, for those wondering how they can help.  There ya have my (proactive) answer in very straightforward terms.  No further questions are necessary.  If that is just not doable for you or you don't feel comfortable with that, that's fine.  Just don't complain and continue to contribute your written energies to the site, which I also appreciate!

One other note, though, as per my immediately prior post above, I still have not experienced the "Internal Server Error" at all lately. On the other hand, also as per that post, April still starts my high billing period.

Here's to hoping it goes a way. It's really all we can do at this point as I ALREADY went through moving the whole site last year in a "band-aid" move, i.e. a move to a "better" shared server, which I really do not want to do ever again as the "Internal Server Error" will ALWAYS catch back up to us as we continue to grow, but still have to "share" space.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004, 1:20pm by Stegfucius » Logged
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #68 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:38am »

I am getting the Internal Server Error 500 this morning when I try to access my instant messages. It hasn't shown up anywhere else  . I normally use Firefox as my web browser, so I switched over to IE just to be sure - no luck. I cleared out all my history, cookies, cache, etc. (in both browsers) and that did not help either.

There is one IM in my inbox I can't get to... if whoever sent that sees this post, and the IM was relatively important/urgent, please email me at bgsgfan@yahoo.com. Thanks!

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #69 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:54am »

I got that too when I was trying to respond to one of Philly's PM's yesterday while at work.  

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #70 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:08pm »

Its working now!  

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #71 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:56pm »

Guys, you don't know the havoc this caused me yesterday.  Did any of you happen to notice "StegRock" and "Referee" coming in and out of the forum (yea, in order to tell the whole story here I just gave that up... to the few who will notice... and are probably the ones who know, anyway,... and as if it wasn't obvious, anyway)?  I was having to use that alternative account because as admin so many scripts have to run (and, moreover, I had, key word there had, a packed IM box) that I could not log on successfully as "StegRock", i.e. as the admin, even though it said I was logged in.  Then, it was clusterfucked.  Since I was technically (in both senses) logged in, I could not even attempt to log in again unless I went into the guts of the system and manually extracted myself from the log.  What a pain-in-the-ass process! Then, after I figured out how I could get in as admin, i.e. "StegRock", I went and accidentally deleted ALL my IM messages, incoming, outgoing and storage. Oh, well,... it probably needed to be done.  I have the REALLY old, original stuff saved on my computer at home, anyway.  In any event, this caused me a HUGE all-day headache.  I put in a trouble-ticket with Hostica last night and the system seems to be faster than it's ever been tonight! From what I can tell looking at things on the back end, some ('s) was (were) attacking us with a VIRUS.  I don't know if it was us specifically or Hostica generally, but I wouldn't put it past some of our fantasy football foes as our eminence and immanence in the fantasy football world becomes more and more imminent. ...
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:57pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #72 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 5:13pm »

on Feb 8th, 2005, 9:56pm, StegRock wrote:
Guys, you don't know the havoc this caused me yesterday.  Did any of you happen to notice "StegRock" and "Referee" coming in and out of the forum (yea, in order to tell the whole story here I just gave that up... to the few who will notice... and are probably the ones who know, anyway,... and as if it wasn't obvious, anyway)?  I was having to use that alternative account because as admin so many scripts have to run (and, moreover, I had, key word there had, a packed IM box) that I could not log on successfully as "StegRock", i.e. as the admin, even though it said I was logged in.  Then, it was clusterfucked.  Since I was technically (in both senses) logged in, I could not even attempt to log in again unless I went into the guts of the system and manually extracted myself from the log.  What a pain-in-the-ass process! Then, after I figured out how I could get in as admin, i.e. "StegRock", I went and accidentally deleted ALL my IM messages, incoming, outgoing and storage. Oh, well,... it probably needed to be done.  I have the REALLY old, original stuff saved on my computer at home, anyway.  In any event, this caused me a HUGE all-day headache.  I put in a trouble-ticket with Hostica last night and the system seems to be faster than it's ever been tonight! From what I can tell looking at things on the back end, some ('s) was (were) attacking us with a VIRUS.  I don't know if it was us specifically or Hostica generally, but I wouldn't put it past some of our fantasy football foes as our eminence and immanence in the fantasy football world becomes more and more imminent. ...

Well...thanks for fixing it!!  Mucho appreciated.  Sorry it was not an easy process.  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 4:05am »

Guys, gals, remember the days of the "Internal Server Error"... Looks like they're a thing of the past... ...

But, aside from that HUGE technical issue, we had/have been living with two other really very slight technical problems, but as you guys have come to know the old Stegger , NOTHING is too small.  The anally-retentive perfectionist in me wants every "i" dotted and "t" crossed.  But, truth is, unless you guys noticed them yourselves, only my helpers and staffers behind the scenes were apprised of them.  Now, I digress...  Remember I'm NOT trained in computer programming.  I'm just hackin' it out.  Anyway, the problems were:

1. The missing icon for the instant-message preview page;  

2. When you "preview" or "modify" a post for which one of the "extra" smiley message icons I added, i.e. not one of the standard 12, was used, it reverts to the "Standard" (notepad page) message icon even though the original smiley used still displays (and if you don't reset it to the one you want, you get the "standard" one).

I figured out a solution to #1 just within a year after opening shop, and behind the scenes this was the announcement I made to my staffers (look at the date on that one )...

on Aug 8th, 2003, 6:32pm, StegRock wrote:
Another brilliant fix (pat self on back)...

1. The missing icon for the instant-message preview page.

I'm actually surprised this SIMPLE FIX didn't dawn on me before; I'm actually MORE surprised it didn't dawn on the YaBB techies right off the bat as we went around in circles on this small issue for months without getting it solved, unbelievably.  But, whatever, in the end...

And, now,... FOUR YEARS after opening shop,... I am SO PROUD to announce... #2 there too has, ALAS, been SOLVED...

2. When you "preview" or "modify" a post for which one of the "extra" smiley message icons I added, i.e. not one of the standard 12, was used, it reverts to the "Standard" (notepad page) message icon even though the original smiley used still displays (and if you don't reset it to the one you want, you get the "standard" one).

No more... I felt that I had progressed in my understanding of the programming to the point that I could conquer this, and I got it in my craw to figure it out today, and I SUCCEEDED!!! Boy, are our FF-specific Junior Correspondents going to love this fix or what!?!?  This makes me want to preview my message before posting it...  I think I'll do just that... (I've actually tinkered with and "refreshed my preview" about a dozen times now...  I used to avoid previewing before, at least when I was using one of the "extra" message icons, which I usually do, because I didn't want to have to see this problem staring back at me... Now, it NEVER will again! ... Boy, that was fun "modifying" too! )
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2006, 4:19am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:27pm »

Fellow Gridironers, we did experience serious technical difficulties today.  It was that same problem we experienced twice last year, (VERY severely) in March and (then again in) December.  As result, I regret to inform you all that some posts that were made during this troubled period were lost.  I apologize greatly for the loss of your words and any inconvenience and/or frustration this causes you.

For future reference, though, if you ever notice that the forum is malfunctioning, it is best to NOT post until I give the high sign that we're good to go or you've seen me (successfully) make a post myself.  Thank you for your anticipated due diligence as regards this matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.