In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 9:29pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site  (Read 3025 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron"
« Reply #75 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 1:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Guys and gals, nothing like the nightmares we have dealt with in the recent past, but that old "Internal Server Error 500" issue is again resurfacing.  Based on the same old story yous all know all too well and are tired of hearing because I beat yous over the heads with it, ., and now , we are SO not in a position to upgrade things around here, the forum, our hosting, (in the foreseeable future) so all I can say is live with it.  I've got a trouble ticket into Hostica on this, but it's the second recurrence in just the last couple days.  I apologize for the inconvenience, but please just bare with it, all. I'm sure it'll get solved.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron"
« Reply #76 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 8:54pm »

Guys and gals, as it turns out this is becoming a "cleansing" time of sorts on "the Gridiron"...

Some of you may have noticed that for a 14-or-so-hour period from Sunday night into late this morning, we experienced one of the worst bouts we've ever had with the old "500 - Internal Server Error".  It knocked us out.  The site was completely down during this period.  Where I am going with this is that that is a function of my going with (one of) the cheapest hosting plans available to us.  We are not on a dedicated server.  We are on a shared server, which means that any one site that causes the server to have problems causes us all to have problems.  I am sure that "little old us" are not usually the cause, surely not this time based on my assessment.  But, to swing this back around to my prefacing comment above and the "forced sensibility" around here at present, the ultimate solution lies in upgrading our hosting, ideally, to a dedicated server, WHICH COSTS!

Furthermore, the techies reply to the trouble ticket I submitted last night on this issue included the following peripheral comment:  "Also, you're currently running YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1 which is a very old version (Release Date: March 23, 2002).  This can leave your site vulnerable to hacks/attacks.  We advise upgrading immediately to the latest version (YaBB 2.2.2)."  This is surely the case, but with all the custom modifications I've made, unless I just want to toss history out the window and clean the slate, an UNACCEPTABLE proposition, upgrading would be a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.  It would be like tossing a complex 10,000-piece puzzle out a windy window and having to locate all the pieces and put it all back together.  I probably do not even have the know-how to even do the whole upgrade, no less the time even if I did.  (Heck, as I've told the GBRFLeaguers, I got a big enough technical battle on the ever-nearing horizon just getting around impending issues with the move away from FrontPage and its Server Extensions.)  The bottom line is that an upgrade to the forum program is going to almost definitely have to be outsourced, which means that it only comes AT A COST.

And, both of these COSTS are, in all likelihood, SUBSTANTIAL.  Again, four donations in to the high "billing season" here, and we have yet to even cover the cost of "The REAL Feed", with the fee for the aforesaid web hosting, which we canNOT do without, due now in less than ONE WEEK.  I hope this post serves to further "perspectivize" the measures I am currently taking,...  having to take.  I am hoping to see progress here, but, reality is, "we" as a group, are not even meeting the bare minimums, which aren't that bad (can't be in light of the fact that my poor ass has, by and large, been the one bearing them).  It's just that I've reached my limit... on various fronts.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Sit
« Reply #77 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:27pm »

For those who might have noticed,... over the last 60 or so hours we have experienced serious problems with "The REAL Feed".  It simply hasn't really been moving.  Actually, there have been intermittent problems for about a week now.  I've been working [yea, that's what that's called, contrary to the "opinions" of some (not) around here (anymore)] on resolving the issue.  The process is a bit slower going that I'd like.  But, I'm sure it'll be rolling along here soon enough. I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this caused any of you who regularly support the site by using it and thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #78 on: Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:00am »

We are not around here anymore because of statements like the one in your above post. You act all high and mighty, like a god or something, when you are not. I am glad you are having fun on your website with the handful of people you have not chased off yet weith your holier than thou attitide.  

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #79 on: Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:56pm »

I DIGRESS...
    THIS, of all things, is what you take time to respond to... How magnanimous of you, old "friend"! You know, Jim, maybe if you didn't troll around and look for and "make it a point", make it "your vendetta", to hone in on this one post from over the last two months and, instead, responded in some other "areas" that engage me as a "person" (or, at least, don't engage me as a mere FF slave, though, there is some "really good 'fodder'" out there right now over which to actually engage me as a person), and not just with lip service, you'd be worth keeping around. But, no, this is your one post in over two months, and, moreover, it speaks no differently than your last number of posts. You lack the relationship with me for me to even care what you have to "point" out (as if you had a good point and were making it in a stand-up way), and, more importantly, you lack the ability to self-reflect and see any middle ground to such a degree that you can't even see how your "bigger picture" actions undermine any "point" you think you have to make. All you are here anymore is a mere "point maker" [sticking it to me (with a sense of joy, I find), no less] with, mind you, a boring old point, which, once it is understood and duly noted, doesn't matter, which, in turn, makes you not matter. Maybe if you showed just a speck of consideration and compassion for me as a person and the "bigger picture" circumstances I was facing this year that prompted the dominoes on "the Gridiron" to fall the way they did, you'd be a person to me worth taking seriously "beyond 'this' point" (in both senses of the phrase, I suppose). These are the kinds of people I hear out,...

on Jul 25th, 2008, 6:01pm, cwhams wrote:
    It is the greater good that is at stake here, the "good" or "positive" that is the essence of what I believe we should seek.

In your case, my case, other member case, I would hope we could take this moment in time and use it to learn.

The site is essentially you Steg. It will only grow if you allow it to do so and only in the direction that you choose to direct it. Larson's departure or the departure or for that matter the arrival of others to this site does not signify or define it's death or health. Instead it is all a matter of growth.

You are tired and need a period of rest, upon your full return, not that you have ever left, who knows where this journey will lead?

For me it is a matter of interest and observation...it applies to all aspects of life...I hope others may get a glimpse of the universal applications to be found here.

on Jul 13th, 2008, 11:40pm, T-Rave wrote:
    On top of this, you maintain more than a merely cordial-but-curt relationship (which is the kind of relationship "administrator" brings to mind) with us Gridironers. You initiate discussions, you wear your heart on your sleeve, you get completely (sometimes, perhaps, too much so ) involved in said discussions, you rail at us when we're indifferent, you thank us when we're not, you beg for help, you reward for labor, etc., etc., etc.

... not one-sided antagonists as you, Jim, have become. This is just rhetorical, but can you even take pause for a few minutes, Jim, and comprehend, no less appreciate, the kind of sensibility C-Dub and T-Rave express there? Or, do you just short-circuit and ignore? Again, rhetorical questions...

The reality is, I've enjoyed my beloved hobby of fantasy football and web site too and the small coterie of true friends I have here more this year than I have in some time. I was just making a(n albeit sore) statement of fact (at least as I see it/don't see it being belied). In my post above, I'm not bitching about nor pining over you all's absence. I'm just stating a(n albeit sad, but somewhat) poignantly related fact. In any event, the post required no response (from you), no more than the birth of my first child did. What it maybe called for was just a touch of compassion from an understanding soul who sees that I'm still a little bit hurt (rightly or wrongly). [Now, you may be thinking that some (forced) congratulations to me at this point would just come off, if not in fact, be hollow BS, and in thinking that you wouldn't be off-base. BUT, there is a way to do it, Jim. Of course, it has to be underlain by genuine good will, but it just takes a little time and effort, more than a few words, more like a good-sized paragraph, and a little well-thought-through tact,... which is a perfect segue...]

I'm sorry this is not 9-1-1-style communication, Jim. But, especially in this kind of on-line envirnoment, it takes more than that style of communication (and actually something that more so resembles philosophical discourse), no less mere lip service, to truly express and share one's thoughts and feelings, personhood (who someone is deep-down) and personality (one's traits) and forge any kind of true friendships. Put another way, you don't call 9-1-1 to make a friend [and, I'm learning, maybe people don't come to these places to make friends, at least not real ones, (maybe they don't even walk out their doors to do it anymore)... but I'm not giving up on that one just yet: this is not going to become yet another run-of-the-mill bullshit FF forum; it'll remain just like this before I let it become that]. The amount of verbiage contained in this post and many of my others is just representative of the level and depth of thought and consideration that went into them and, moreover, how much I care. Posts that aren't reasonably reciprocal in thought and care are bad enough; you even throw my "dissertations" back in my face.

At any rate, it seems that efforts thus far have paid off... "The REAL Feed" seems to be back in working order. But, still, we'll have to wait and see. The problem usually crops up on the weekends, especially, of all times, Saturday into Sunday.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008, 5:51am by Stegfucius » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #80 on: Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:17pm »

I have no problem showing compassion. Contrary to what you believe about 9-1-1 operators, we do show compassion in our work. It is a big part of our jobs.  

What I see as a problem here with you Steg is your definition of middle ground. What you don't seem to realize is that our departure from the Gridiron was mostly your doing. You forced us out with your ultimatum about the GBRFL2. I donated what I could but I guess that was not good enough to keep the duece afloat, at least here anyways. Do I miss the Grid? Sure, but I don't miss being talked to like a 1st grader sometimes by you. We cal talk another time if you'd like.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:18pm by BarnabyWilde » Logged

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #81 on: Nov 4th, 2008, 3:38am »

I DIGRESS...
    on Nov 3rd, 2008, 6:17pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
    I have no problem showing compassion. Contrary to what you believe about 9-1-1 operators, we do show compassion in our work. It is a big part of our jobs.

Oh, brother... Duuude, I'm not saying that you've never shown compassion or, moreover, that you usually don't show compassion in your (real) life or that you don't have compassion in you. In fact, I don't know, but I'm quite sure you do. That's what makes this all the more distressing. You are not a ZAGS. The point about 9-1-1 regarded communication, not compassion.

Quote:
    What I see as a problem here with you Steg is your definition of middle ground. What you don't seem to realize is that our departure from the Gridiron was mostly your doing. You forced us out with your ultimatum about the GBRFL2. I donated what I could but I guess that was not good enough to keep the duece afloat, at least here anyways. Do I miss the Grid? Sure, but I don't miss being talked to like a 1st grader sometimes by you.

What-ever... The site's still here. It's your (you all's) (spiteful, might I say) choice not to use ALL that still IS here. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is preventing you (all) from participating on "the Gridiron" except yourself (yourselves)! That's what you(s) could do... But, quite the contrary, I sense (and I think correctly) that you (guys) are relishing in/deriving satisfaction from/taking joy in making a point by not doing so (and even watching me suffer... a little bit; gee, there's a noble mindset).

In this context, Jim, of mainly your current non-participation on the site and also your dislike of my "way", it's virtually logically impossible to believe that, when you say you miss "the Gridiron", you mean something other than you miss the GBRFL2, WHICH WAS VERY LABOR-INTENSIVE ON ME AND WHICH I SIMPLY COULD NO LONGER HACK UNDER THE USUAL TERMS. I couldn't imagine what things would have been like if I were still running all three leagues, no less without (hardly) any donations. I would be pulling my hair out right now and probably fighting with you guys, moreover, at a time when I couldn't come close to affording to. In the least, I've avoided that virtually inevitable misery.

As for the first-grader comment, that's surely a serious concern. But, that's not my problem, strictly speaking. It's yours. It's how you feel. It's surely not how everybody feels. I cite, at least, C-Dub and T-Rave above in support of that claim, but, truth be said, I could cite any of a number of friends and family members to corroborate the healthy, albeit at times difficult/"uneasy" so to speak (but that's part of it), relationship I have with them. Truth is, I treat you guys, and people in general in my life, quite the opposite of your first-grader depiction/perception. I just ask that you think and reflect, kick it up a notch in terms of your rationally thinking through and critically reflecting on what you want to say/the position you want to argue. This is not an enterprise for grade-schoolers. In fact, I ask you right now, Jim, to reflect on the way in which my posts make you feel like you're being spoken to like a first-grader and then reflect on the validity/appropriateness of that feeling vis-a-vis what I specificially wrote. You might just find that your reading deserves at least the same amount of scrutiny as my writing.

The bottom line is that you are still bent out of shape about how things ultimately went with your last donation/pledge. We've done that dance, though, quite thoroughly (I even made a partial apology, for goodness sake), but in a more appropriate place on the site, which is where we should be doing this. Look, I understand that you (guys) are also hurt. My tack may have been a bit abrupt, but, again, I had to do what I had to do... to preserve my sanity. It wasn't going to play out well no matter how I did it (and actually I think I went about it fairly reasonably... right until the very end when I offered you guys a partial way back into the fold, a bit late, I understand, BUT that was simply due to my personal circumstances; hell, I was still FAR FROM settled down, living with my pregnant wife out of a HOTEL at the time... JESUS ). My playing tackling dummy for you guys and taking ALL the lumps here won't get us anywhere. Until you guys OPENLY accept at least SOME of the blame, we're not going to get anywhere. Again, even in your post above, Jim, in which you are fairly level-headed and somewhat reasonable, you still exhibit nothing in the way of critical self-reflection. NOT ONE former GBRFL2er, either out in the open or in correspondences behind the scenes, has! Yet, the level of hostility toward me from (some of) you guys is salient. That's just fucked, I'm sorry!
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008, 3:30pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.