In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 2:28am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Bleachers

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   the Bleachers
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Bleachers  (Read 9033 times)
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: the Bleachers
« Reply #325 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 2:57am »

Uh, Jeremy Giami doesn't even play for the A's, unless you are refering to a past A lowlight.  

And somebody tell Terrence Long to swing the fricking bat! Man, what a loser, striking out looking to end the season. Nice going dumb ass!
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2003, 8:31am by BarnabyWilde » Logged

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #326 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 8:14am »

on Oct 7th, 2003, 2:57am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
Uh, Jeremy Giami doesn't even play for the A's, unless you are refering to a past A lowlight.  

And somebosy tell Terrence Long to swing the fricking bat! Man, what a loser, striking out looking to end the season. Nice going dumb ass!

The last thing you want to do is strike out looking, especially in that situation, but it's hard to pull the trigger when you think the ball is going to hit you! Lowe made a nasty pitch and you have to give him credit.  

The only thing that can wreck the World Series now is if Florida advances. Cubs/Yankees or Cubs/Red Sox will be just about as good as it gets.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #327 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 8:33am »

I'd like to see the Red Sox/Cubs now. At least the Gorilla will be off  one of their backs.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #328 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 9:25am »

on Oct 7th, 2003, 8:33am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
I'd like to see the Red Sox/Cubs now. At least the Gorilla will be off one of their backs.

I want to see this match up too.  I am SOOOOO tired of hearing how the Cubs and Red Sox can't win a world series.  One of them would be guaranteed to win and one of the two cities would SHUT UP!!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Noey21
GM
# 102

Hokies be afraid....be very afraid!!!!

noey21  
View Profile Email

« Reply #329 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 1:55pm »

There is two huge flaws with a BoSox v. Cubs series.

1. It can't happen.  Both franchises have attached to the lovable loser label.  They feel a common ground being the whipping boy.  They can always lean on each other.  The Curse of the Bambino is there crutch and maybe their identity.  Same goes for the Cubs. (Plus the Cubs can't win til 2050 because thats when Back to the Future II said they would win.)

2. God won't let it happen.  here's my bold prediction Red Sox v. Cubs in the series tied at 3 games apiece.  The night before game 7 armagedon would break out.  The rapture will occur or WW III.  It just can't happen.

Only kiddin.............Just the Pestimistic Pauly coming out of me.

I would like to see that series also as I said a few weeks back.  However, as a very faithful and lifelong Dodger fan I can't stand to see Dusty Baker win.  He turned his back on me (being he was one of my 2 fav players as a kid).  Even though maybe it would be good to rub the Giants noses in him winning (just as it was when Gruden beat the Raiders in the super bowl).

As I have stated befroe I am not a fan of the local teams.

I may not be correct very often..........but I am always willing to give an opinion.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #330 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 5:39pm »

Fellas, those who know me personally or with whom I have developed a personal friendship over time here or just anybody who "cares",

My wife, Yoo-jin, who is Korean, has her "final" immigration-visa interview THIS Friday. If you don't know, this has been a somewhat harrowing 3+-year process for us. I worked over there an unexpected extra year in part to be with her on the same continent, but we still ended up being a 5+-hour train ride apart as it turned out, and she did spend 5 months here in the States with me; of course, smack-dab during her stay came 9/11. Welcome to America, huh!? Point being, it has been a tough row to hoe for us and her getting her "green card" will allow us to see the light/breathe MUCH easier... or MUCH HARDER, should I say. Please keep us in your thoughts,... and prayers if you are so predisposed.

On another important personal note, I am still waiting to hear from U. of H. They say LOA are sent out October-November. Again, any positive energy you can send my way is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:26am by Stegfucius » Logged
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #331 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 11:46pm »

on Oct 8th, 2003, 5:39pm, StegRock wrote:
Fellas, those who know me personally or with whom I have developed a personal friendship over time here or just anybody who "cares",

My wife, Yoo-jin, who is Korean, has her "final" immigration-visa interview next Friday. If you don't know, this has been a somewhat harrowing 3+-year process for us. I worked over there an unexpected extra year in part to be with her on the same continent, but we still ended up being a 5+-hour train ride apart as it turned out, and she did spend 5 months here in the States with me; of course, smack-dab during her stay came 9/11. Welcome to America, huh!? Point being, it has been a tough row to hoe for us and her getting her "green card" will allow us to see the light/breathe MUCH easier... or MUCH HARDER, should I say. Please keep us in your thoughts,... and prayers if you are so predisposed.

On another important personal note, I am still waiting to hear from U. of H. They say LOA are sent out October-November. Again, any positive energy you can send my way is much appreciated!

Best of luck Steg and Yoo-jin! My parents adopted 3 children from out of the country and I had the pleasure of dealing with the INS on several occasions... If your experience is anything like we went through, you'll need all the help you can get! Talk about a major pain in the ass... An appointment with the INS makes going to the DMV feel like a vacation! All kidding aside, it's a lot of hard work, but it will all be worth it!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #332 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:24am »

My wife, Yoo-jin, who is Korean, has her "final" immigration-visa interview next Friday. If you don't know, this has been a somewhat harrowing 3+-year process for us. I worked over there an unexpected extra year in part to be with her on the same continent, but we still ended up being a 5+-hour train ride apart as it turned out, and she did spend 5 months here in the States with me; of course, smack-dab during her stay came 9/11. Welcome to America, huh!? Point being, it has been a tough row to hoe for us and her getting her "green card" will allow us to see the light/breathe MUCH easier... or MUCH HARDER, should I say. Please keep us in your thoughts,... and prayers if you are so predisposed.

Thanks, WB, for the support!

By the way, regarding my wife's "final" immigrant-visa interview at the American Embassy in Korea, I wrote "next" Friday above. I meant THIS Friday, as in TOMORROW, as in LATER TODAY as we are behind Korea time!
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2003, 2:42am by Stegfucius » Logged
5 Gs
Tackling Dummy
# 100

View Profile

« Reply #333 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 3:41am »

SS - I hope it all works out!  

Suggestion --- Make the bleachers an area, instead of a thread.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #334 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 1:28pm »

on Oct 9th, 2003, 3:41am, 5-on-it wrote:
SS - I hope it all works out!

Thank you for keeping the situation in your thoughts, 5'er! This is stressful!

Quote:
Suggestion --- Make the bleachers an area, instead of a thread.

Also, thanks for caring about the progression of this place and giving this some thought.  This has been discussed MANY a time, though (one of the main places it was discussed was on the "Offseason on 'the Gridiron'" thread somewhere buried here on "the Sidelines").  I have my reasons for not making it a board unto itself just yet.  You could even ask Jim about it.  In any event, all in due time...
steelkings

Email

« Reply #335 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 4:34pm »

The Korean culture is cool. I had the pleasure of the acqaintance of Master Yong Pi Choi. He is very dynamic
and energetic for a 60 yr old dude. My kids think he's Jacki Chan. I think Master Choi would give J.C all he wanted.
May the carma of the Gridiron go with you!

PS...I live in Indianapolis. I found a baseball in my front yard. Do you think its the one Sosa hit?
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #336 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 9:53pm »

My wife, Yoo-jin, who is Korean, has her "final" immigration-visa interview THIS Friday. If you don't know, this has been a somewhat harrowing 3+-year process for us. I worked over there an unexpected extra year in part to be with her on the same continent, but we still ended up being a 5+-hour train ride apart as it turned out, and she did spend 5 months here in the States with me; of course, smack-dab during her stay came 9/11. Welcome to America, huh!? Point being, it has been a tough row to hoe for us and her getting her "green card" will allow us to see the light/breathe MUCH easier... or MUCH HARDER, should I say. Please keep us in your thoughts,... and prayers if you are so predisposed.

Best wishes with everything Steg.  I'll say a prayer for a good outcome.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #337 on: Oct 9th, 2003, 10:10pm »

on Oct 9th, 2003, 9:53pm, Philly wrote:
Best wishes with everything Steg. I'll say a prayer for a good outcome.

Thanks, Phil!  But, hurry up with those prayers!  She's at the Embassy right now!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #338 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 5:57pm »

on Oct 9th, 2003, 10:10pm, StegRock wrote:

Thanks, Phil! But, hurry up with those prayers! She's at the Embassy right now!

So the verdict is..........................??    

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #339 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 6:12pm »

Funny, DD, I was just coming up here to post this...

The "process" is finally OVER!  Wifey-poo passed all inspections! She now has her "certificate of immigration" and her sealed packet of goodies that she has to present upon arrival.  She actually said that the "interview" wasn't a biggie at all.  She basically just handed them her packet of stuff; they looked it over briefly and evidently all was in order (thanks largely to hubby's meticulousness ) and handed her her certificate and packet, which seemed to already have been prepared.  Anyway, I can't believe that we are finally sliding into home plate on this.  Whew!
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #340 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 11:35am »

Congrats Steg & Family, good to hear everything is working out well for you guys.  
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #341 on: Oct 11th, 2003, 5:24pm »

That's great news Steg.  I'm happy for you both.  So now you'll be living with your wife and your mother???  
5 Gs
Tackling Dummy
# 100

View Profile

« Reply #342 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 12:03am »

Congrats!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #343 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:32am »

Well, not exactly, Phil... unless I get bad news regarding the graduate program.  I kind of thought you knew this, though, from our conversations...  My wife will not be in until mid-late December and we are going to finally (3 and a half years later) have that stateside ceremony for my family and friends (December 20th).  Until then, of course, I will be "at home".  After that is over, the first week of January, depending on certain circumstances, either a) I will be back on my own for a bit heading to you know where for grad school and my wife will be heading back to Korea to earn bucks for an extra 6 or so months while I get the lay of the land for her there work-wise OR b) we will be heading to "lu-lu" land together OR, unlikely worst case scenario, c) I don't get in to that program for the spring and I am stuck at home until next fall, in which case I definitely do not see my wife sticking around here if for no other reason than finances, UNLESS d) she quit her job there so as to come here and we strike out on our own here, a situation I just do NOT see happening as it would be taking us totally off the "beat and track" we want to be on.  I suppose there is an "e" scenario that causes wife and mother-in-law to be under the same roof for a period of time, but really that ain't that bad, at least from the angle you might be intimating.  Generally speaking, (good) Asian girls (which my wife surely is) are very obliging, considerate and humble with regards to their attitude and actions towards their mother-in-laws.  Okay, enough rambling, it's time for football...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #344 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 3:06pm »

on Oct 12th, 2003, 11:32am, StegRock wrote:
...unless I get bad news regarding the graduate program.  ...  c) I don't get in to that program for the spring and I am stuck at home until next fall, in which case I definitely do not see my wife sticking around here if for no other reason than finances, UNLESS d) she quit her job there so as to come here and we strike out on our own here, a situation I just do NOT see happening as it would be taking us totally off the "beat and track" we want to be on. I suppose there is an "e" scenario that causes wife and mother-in-law to be under the same roof for a period of time...

...  I guess I asked for it...

I can't lie...  A lot of things have been, relatively speaking, going really well for me lately.  I guess I needed a good, swift kick in the head to remind me about good, old-fashioned human suffering.  It just can't be ALL good.  I got "the 'thin' envelope" today...  I did not get in...  This really fucks me up!  Anyway, I am in a bit of a stuper right now... "shock and aw(ful)", I guess you could call how I feel... (inside up until now, though I am going to have to let it come out eventually).  I just can't get a fuckin' break (from others) (not that accepting me into this program would have been one; I MORE than met their requirements) unless I make it for myself.  Well, I guess it's time for me to pick myself up off the ground, dust myself off and start figuring out my next move... again. Right now, though, I feel a little stalemated,... but not checkmated.
Noey21
GM
# 102

Hokies be afraid....be very afraid!!!!

noey21  
View Profile Email

« Reply #345 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 4:20pm »

Keep your head held high!

And good luck with all.

Have a  on me!

I may not be correct very often..........but I am always willing to give an opinion.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #346 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 8:43pm »

on Oct 14th, 2003, 3:06pm, StegRock wrote:

... I guess I asked for it...

I can't lie... A lot of things have been, relatively speaking, going really well for me lately. I guess I needed a good, swift kick in the head to remind me about good, old-fashioned human suffering. It just can't be ALL good. I got "the 'thin' envelope" today... I did not get in... This really fucks me up! Anyway, I am in a bit of a stuper right now... "shock and aw(ful)", I guess you could call how I feel... (inside up until now, though I am going to have to let it come out eventually). I just can't get a fuckin' break (from others) (not that accepting me into this program would have been one; I MORE than met their requirements) unless I make it for myself. Well, I guess it's time for me to pick myself up off the ground, dust myself off and start figuring out my next move... again. Right now, though, I feel a little stalemated,... but not checkmated.

Steg--

Sorry to hear the bad news dude.  That really blows. But, I know ultimately something good will come out of this.   That is just the way life works.  

You have to play the cards you are dealt.  BUT, life is not stud poker.  It is draw.  

Hang in there dude.  If you need to talk give me a call.....

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #347 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 11:38am »

I figured I'd throw out a little public support.  Further to our phone conversation yesterday, I have put the balls in motion regarding your next steps...  As soon as I hear something, I'll let you know.
steelkings

Email

« Reply #348 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 5:02pm »

[quote author=DirkDiggler link=board=58;num=1051295537;start=325#346 date=10/14/03 at 20:43:51]

That really blows. But, I know ultimately something good will come out of this.   That is just the way life works.    

Thats the same thing Dusty Baker said in 2002. HuH?
Hit the lottery and buy the school.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #349 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 11:10pm »

Well, since I've opened the door, I might as well give you guys the WHOLE story, i.e. ALL the juice, on why I did not get in. The good news, it's VERY "get-aroundable" for next fall; the bad news, it is a little bit of a lame reason. "Opinion/Presumption" about me has seemed to factor in a little too much, i.e., my destiny was apparently ultimately determined by an "impression" rather than what I bring to the table, so to speak. I'm not saying that that should not be a part of it or even that they are not a little bit right (I am confident, perhaps overconfident at times). But, it appears to be the "back-breaking" factor in my case, which ain't really so right. Anyway, here is the response I received... (Enjoy the soap opera!)

Dear Mr. Stegeman,

The main, if not the entire, reason your application was rejected was that your writing sample, "The New Natural Law," made a very bad impression on some of the members of our graduate admission committee. They argued that that
(yes, two thats) the essay seemed to have been written by someone who was dogmatic and overconfident, and whom they suspected it would be very difficult to teach. I apologize for the bluntness, but I sense that you want me to give you honest feedback here.

Aside from your writing sample, the other components of your application were all judged to be at least acceptable, by our standards. The writing sample is, however, in our judgment, the single most important component of any application for admission. If you wish to reapply for admission to our program, you may certainly do so. But I would strongly suggest that, in reapplying to us, or in applying for admission elsewhere, you choose some other piece of work with which to represent your abilities.

Cordially,
Prof. Ron Bontekoe, Graduate Chair
Department of Philosophy
University of Hawaii

Again, their "impression" is not totally off base..., but not really completely "objective" and, thus, fair, either! Oh, well! I'll adjust and if I decide to do so, get in on the next come-around.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2003, 11:11pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.