In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 5:19am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies  (Read 3808 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
« on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 3:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In my ongoing effort to determine if/how I am going to eventually transform "the Bleachers" from a sticky thread into a board, I want to give these topical, "get to know each other better" threads a try. I am really looking to observe the substantiveness of the exchanges, how well they stay on topic, as well as the digressions that take place.

And, please, guys, do not take this whole thing the wrong way. I am not condescending to anyone here, although my didactic side as an educator is probably coming into play here in my taking this "organizing an activity-type" approach. Again, my purpose here is to see how well we go about breaking down the inherent wall between us in this on-line environment with the establishment of "the Bleachers" in mind, not to see if I want to open up a new "movie ratings" web site and forum. So, without further ado, let's see how this goes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Granted, I am not a huge movie buff, but when I am really floored by a cinematic experience, I REALLY appreciate it. Below are my top-5 favorite movies of all-time. I consider the choices quite personal and unique to me. So, I would 1) like to know if any of you out there share my sentiments about any of these films because, if so, to me that is "connecting/making a real connection", and 2) like for you all to put some real thought into it and give your own top-whatever list, BUT I do NOT want this to become just a thread of "top-10" posts. I mean if we are just going to post lists, then let's just head back to "the Red Zone" and post our lists of top receivers for '03 or whatever as this is not a movie-discussion site. The point of this is to get to know each other better via a discussion about movies, NOT get to know movies better by discussing them! What I really want to see is our reactions to each other's posts as that is how we will "come together" more substantively. Let's "converse with" each other, not just "talk at" each other. With that in mind, I look forward to seeing if anybody shares in my absolute enjoyment of the following flicks (I must admit, for better or for worse, all of these movies are "of my time")...

#5 - Lean On Me
This is the movie about a black high school principal, played by Morgan Freeman, who, by way of tough love and against all odds, turned around Patternson High School in New Jersey from a drug-infested, violent school to a quality educational environment. This is a great "real-world", gritty story of triumph under adversity. This movie held a great pace and had me in a puddle in the end. For those of you who have really gotten to know me and my personality, my liking this movie should totally make sense.

#4 - The Matrix
Yea, Keanu Reeves notwithstanding. Frankly speaking, special effects and action movies are not my thing, at least not at this level of consideration. But, this is one of my favorites of all time because it really did have me going away thinking. I really dug how it tied in eastern philosophy by way of the "Oracles". Ultimately, overall, just a really wild concept that worked for me. To me, it was like a more intelligent, even intellectual, version of "Terminator", a fine movie in its own right mind you, but nowhere near as cerebrally-stimulating as this movie.

#3 - Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Steve Martin and John Candy have never been better (The Jerk notwithstanding). This movie had me bawling with laughter, but it wasn't those tears that put this movie on my all-time favorites list. It was the box of Kleenex I needed during the end sequence that does. My eyes are welling up and I am getting a lump in my throat right now just thinking about how the ending goes after Candy gets off the subway and Martin starts reflecting back on the silly and harrowing times they spent together and "putting it together". One of the single most touching scenes in movie history, in my humble opinion. After "driving" you to hysterics throughout, this gut-punch in the end leaves you emotionally spent, in a good way.

THE TOP TIER
#2 - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
This movie came out the same (Academy Awards calendar) year as The Matrix, actually. It should have won the "Best Movie of the Year" award over the VERY pedestrian Gladiator and would have if $$$ were not in play and international films got more respect. You could just chalk my appreciation of this movie up to my far-east Asian connection, but that would not be fair to this magnificent film. This movie takes you on a wondrous journey that so unexpectedly comes full-circle. You are moved both mentally and emotionally throughout despite the subtitles, which is a testament to its greatness, and the ending is absolutely magical and sheer brilliance. I was left in awe.

#1 - Glory
This movie is really in a class by itself in my world. Whenever anyone asks me the question, "What is your favorite movie?", the answer invariably and without even a moment's hesitation is Glory. This was Matthew Broderick's first real dramatic role and best performance of his career and Denzel Washington's glorious big-budget movie debut; all backed up by the solid veteran Morgan Freeman. No movie touches on the true American spirit (of compassion and heroism) more accurately and, moreover, with such a poignant backdrop, that of our darkest hour, the Civil War. You are given no lull during this three-hour epic. No words I will write here will do this film justice. All I can say is be prepared for a good sinus clean-out and eye flush when you pop this one in.

SO, have any of you been "touched" by any of these movies like me? Do any of you "relate to" any of these movies the way I do?

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2004, 3:59pm by Stegfucius » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: Get to know your Gridironers - Topic: Movies
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 4:14am »

I have 2 lists...one is my corny list:

1. Commando
2. Smokey and the Bandit
3. Vacation
4. Bachelor Party
5. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Now, My REAL LIST

5. Saving Private Ryan: Great, great movie. I am a big Tom Hanks fan, and a WW2 history buff as well.  

4. Batman: I am also a huge Superhero freak (as some of the QFLers can atest to) and Batman was a killer flick. Jack was fantastic as the Joker, as was Michael Keaton as Batman. So far, the only movie I ever stood in line early for.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:Greatest action/adventure movie of all time!! Can wait for it to come out on DVD later this year!

2. The Natural: My favorite sports movie ever! I absolutely love the ending scene when Roy Hobbs knocks the lights out with his game ending home run. To bad he struck out in the book...

1. Tombstone: Classic. I love westerns, and Tombstone had it all: Gunfighting, drinking, gambling, plus a romance to boot. Val Kilmer played a great Doc Holiday, and Kurt Russel was also very good as Wyatt Earp. Great cast, including Bill Paxton, Sam Elliott, Dana Delany, Powers Booth, Michael Biehemeny (sp?), Billy Zane and Jason Priestly.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:48am »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 3:32am, StegRock wrote:
#4 - The Matrix
Yea, Keanu Reeves notwithstanding. Frankly speaking, special effects and action movies are not my thing, at least not at this level of consideration. But, this is one of my favorites of all time because it really did have me going away thinking. I really dug how it tied in eastern philosophy by way of the "Oracles". Ultimately, overall, just a really wild concept that worked for me. To me, it was like a more intelligent, even intellectual, version of "Terminator", a fine movie in its own right mind you, but nowhere near as cerebrally-stimulating as this movie.

The Matrix was so good in so many ways.  The effects are still out of this workd.  The whole concept behind it is a great sci-fi concept and well depicted.  The action sequences were extremely well done as well.  From watching the DVD extras, the whole feel of the action sequences emulated many Eastern martial arts movies.  If you are looking for great dialogue, go somewhere else (but the Wachovski (sp?) brothers openly say they were not after that type of movie).

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:59am »

Well, I can comment a little bit here...

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 4:14am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
5. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Funny flick that I can appreciate, duuuude!  It got a serious cult following.  Nothing all time for me, but... neat choice!

Quote:
4. Batman: I am also a huge Superhero freak (as some of the QFLers can atest to) and Batman was a killer flick. Jack was fantastic as the Joker, as was Michael Keaton as Batman. So far, the only movie I ever stood in line early for.

Have to admit, I was REALLY disappointed by this movie overall.  I actually thought Jack Nicholson of Neptune, New Jersey, and my favorite actor, saved the flick.  In hindsight, it might have been all the over-hype beforehand that ruined it for me, but, whatever, I left the theater, well, under-impressed.

Quote:
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:Greatest action/adventure movie of all time!! Can wait for it to come out on DVD later this year!

2. The Natural: My favorite sports movie ever! I absolutely love the ending scene when Roy Hobbs knocks the lights out with his game ending home run. To bad he struck out in the book

Regarding these two, I am going to just generally say that I too was very entertained by them both.  Wouldn't be on my personal all-time favorites list, but would get consideration if I ever compiled an objective-ish top-50 classics list.

Finally, guys, PLEASE read my first post thoroughly, especially the first three paragraphs that come before my list, two of which are above the divide line, one of which is below it.  Thank you!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:30pm »

Guys, sloooow down! Take your time! I said above that I really am looking for the "substance" of what goes on on this thread and "substance" is not acheived without thought. Do you know how much thought I put into my top-5? Granted, I may have a looser schedule than most of you, but, make no mistakes, I am busy as shit. But, I did put probably a good two weeks of "on-and-off" thought into this. I want us to get to know each other, not wade through lists of movies that many people, perhaps even you yourself, just "generally" like, moreover without (somewhat extended) commentary that is specific to YOU. PLEASE READ THOSE FIRST THREE PARAGRAPHS OF MY FIRST POST! Anyway, if you are listing like 30 movies without pithy commentary on any of them, including movies you can't name AND in the process forgetting your FAVORITE movie, well,... Sit back! Ponder a moment! Savor the moment! I know when putting together my list I thought to myself if I can't even name the movie without looking it up, then it just ain't one of my favorites of all time. And, as for forgetting a movie, you NEVER forget your favorite movie. So, take it easy! Enjoy the opportunity to think it through and share a piece of yourself with a group of guys eager to get to know you better. I want people to "experience" each other on these threads, not just rush to post.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 3:48pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: #Get to know your Gridironers - Topic: Movies
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:45pm »

(This is just hyperbole to exemplify my point so we can have the "productive" discussion I am hoping for.)

#5 Casablanca - Don't know it!

#4 Wizard of Oz - Kind of sucked!

#3 Gone with the Wind - Basically sucked!

#2 Beyond the Door - Really sucked!

#1 Ghandi - Don't know it!

This is not what I had intended. I don't want you to rate my movies or anybody's in some sort of "obligatory", "thumbs up/thumbs down" fashion. Unless you were especially moved by a particular movie in one direction or another, positively or negatively, DON'T respond. This was starting to become a movie/movie-rankings discussion rather than a "getting to know each other by way of talking about movies" discussion.  THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT. I am not looking to play "Siskel and Ebert"; I am looking for us to substantively share our thoughts in a considerate and thoughtful manner, not just obligatorily and triflingly point out, "I loved it," or, "I hated it," with regards to every movie on someone's list.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 1:38pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 2:11pm »

#5 - The Usual Suspects - A fantastic story that has you guessing right up until the very end. Kevin Spacey was tremendous. Benicio del Toro (as Fenster) was hilarious.

#4 - American Beauty - Kevin Spacey again. Brilliantly acted. One of the best performances I've seen. Incredible writing. Supporting cast was amazing. Absolutely creepy story that, at times, seems so real.

#3B - Goodfellas - Ray Liotta walks you through the life of Henry Hill, whose character development is among the best I've ever seen. There are so many unforgettable scenes. The scene with Pesci and Liotta ("You think I'm a clown?") is both terrifying and hilarious.

#3A - Toy Story 2 - Even better than the first. Pixar does a bang-up job with the animation (as usual). The characters, who we already know, are even better the second time around.

#2B - To Have and Have Not - Most of you are probably unfamiliar with this movie. Legendary director Howard Hawks bet Ernest Hemingway that he could make a great movie from one of Hemingway's worst novels. Howard Hawks took Humphrey Bogart and resurrected/tweaked his Rick character from Casablanca and introduced the world to 19-year old Lauren Bacall. The chemistry was outstanding (and led to the marriage of Bogie and Bacall). The story is on par with Casablanca (IMHO), but the characters and the directing take it a step beyond.

#2A - The Breakfast Club - John Hughes at his finest. This is the quintessential 80s flick. Judd Nelson's performance as John Bender was magnificent. Yeah, the movie was probably over-the-top at times, but at the core of the movie is what every Brat Pack movie was essentially about: recognizing that no matter how society may label people, there is a common thread (insecurity) within all of us.

#1 - Dead Poets Society - This is the former HS English teacher in me with this selection. Robin Williams is able to deftly combine his comedic genius with a truly dramatic role. The supporting cast (Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard, etc.) is brilliant. This movie touched me on so many levels. The cinematography and accompanying film score was tremendous. I love the fact that a teacher was so able to inspire his students to greatness and the loyalty they show to him as a result is inspirational and tear-worthy.

=======================================

I tried to pare my list down as much as possible, but I am a huge movie buff and my top 5 list changes depending on the mood I'm in.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 2:16pm by Philly » Logged
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 4:38pm »

Philly, 3 of these movies you stole right out of my heart.  

American Beauty - I love the symbolism of the rose(s) (and petals).  The use of color in that movie is awesome - and very similar in that way to The Sixth Sense.  Generally, I like any movie with Spacey in it, but this may be his personal best.  The characters in American Beauty are out of this world: all of them are so beautifully alone and unique and identifiable.  I have watched this movie over 10 times and pick something else up each time.

The Usual Suspects - this too is an excellent movie with a wonderful twist.  Not as high on my list as American Beauty, but a wonderful film with (IMHO) the greatest modern day actor, Kevin Spacey.

Dead Poets Society - I cried.  I haven't seen this movie in years and remember little, except it touched me like few movies have.  A great movie and one of a handful of movies that show Robin Williams is more than a comic (Insomnia, One Hour Photo, and Good Will hunting are 3 others).

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: Get to know your Gridironers - Topic:  Movies
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 5:32pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 4:38pm, bgsgfan wrote:
Philly, 3 of these movies you stole right out of my heart.  

American Beauty - I love the symbolism of the rose(s) (and petals).  The use of color in that movie is awesome - and very similar in that way to The Sixth Sense.  Generally, I like any movie with Spacey in it, but this may be his personal best.  The characters in American Beauty are out of this world: all of them are so beautifully alone and unique and identifiable.  I have watched this movie over 10 times and pick something else up each time.

I swear the wife (Annette Benning) was modeled after my mother -in -law. This is the woman who told me I was STARTING  to become part of the family after being married 3 years.  This is the woman who told me my wife didn;t get a job because of her new hair cut, the same woman who told me I wasn't good enough for her daughter because of my job at the time, etc.....

It is a CLASSIC!!!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: Get to know your Gridironers - Topic:  Movies
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 5:43pm »

OK--  

I am going to take some time on this one.  It is hard to define my absolute favorite, so I will have to just list 5.  I will list one  now.....

Sgt.  York--  Classic gray and white movie starring Gary Cooper based on the REAL Sgt.  York.  (yes, the man who the tanks are named after.)  It traces his roots from a wild hillbillian Tennesseean to a religous objector in World War I.   His petition was turned down and tells the story of how he single handily captured over 100 German soldiers and became famous.  

The movie examines religion vs patriotism and how becoming famous doesn't change a man.  Classic movie with a subtle sense of humor.  

The movie is out only in VHS and I believe will be released in DVD this fall.  It is one of the few movies I own.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 5:44pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:05pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 2:11pm, Philly wrote:
#5 - The Usual Suspects - A fantastic story that has you guessing right up until the very end. Kevin Spacey was tremendous. Benicio del Toro (as Fenster) was hilarious.

This is evidently a movie I gotta' re-see. I don't know where my head was when I saw it; I know I was in Korea with my wife and even remember the theater, but I remember leaving thinking it was just whatever. It was VERY popular there as it evidently was here. I must have missed something. From what I hear about it, I will probably go away from a second viewing with a more enlightened take. I will say this. To me, it seemed like a less-hardcore Reservoir Dogs with a cult following along the lines of Fargo. As I mentioned, I wasn't in the States at the time. How off is that impression?

Quote:
#2A - The Breakfast Club

#1 - Dead Poets Society

These two are classics. For me, these would get filed in that "big" group with The Natural and Raiders of the Lost Ark from BW's list above.

I will say this, though, regarding DPS, I totally get where you are coming from as a (former) teacher, BUT emotionally the suicide was, though appropriate to the story, over-the-top for me; I didn't shed much of a tear honestly and as you can infer from my write-ups above, I cry pretty easily if I am genuinely moved. Also, based on my background, it was a little hard for me to identify with these twits in that cave doin' whatever it was they were doin'. In hindsight, they kind of remind me of a more refined version of the "Harry Potter" disciples of today, who I also do not get (sorry! ). Actually, Philly, if you really want to get into it and think it through, your picking this in your top group versus my having Lean on Me in mine provides for a fascinating juxtaposition. If you saw Lean on Me, what were your takes regarding it? I think this would be a very intriguing and revealing path to go down.

(Now we are starting to get "real" with it. These are the kind of "connections" I want to be making and hashing out!)

Quote:
I tried to pare my list down as much as possible, but I am a huge movie buff and my top 5 list changes depending on the mood I'm in.

Don't worry about that! There are no rules here as to how long one's list can be. I would just say to everybody to not bite off more than you can chew, i.e. not list so many that you can't write something personally meaningful about each one.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 8:29pm by Stegfucius » Logged
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:28pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:05pm, StegRock wrote:

This is evidently a movie I gotta' re-see. I don't know where my head was when I saw it; I know I was in Korea with my wife and even remember the theater, but I remember leaving thinking it was just whatever. It was VERY popular there as it evidently was here. I must have missed something. From what I hear about it, I will probably go away from a second viewing with a more enlightened take. I will say this. To me, it seemed like a less-hardcore Reservoir Dogs with a cult following along the lines of Fargo. As I mentioned, I wasn't in the States at the time. How off is that impression?

Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects are very similar, and you could say that it is the more subtle of the two. Although both films are different from one another, generally they are appreciated by the same people, i.e. you will find them on the same lists at Amazon.

I wouldn't necessarily say you must see it again. Your tastes appear to move in different directions (you like Lean on Me better than Dead Poets Society). I don't know how to explain this, but, well you may never understand the attraction of TUS. Watch it again if you were left stunned at American Beauty, if you watched Pulp Fiction and thought the nonlinear plot was awesome, if you loved Natural Born Killers even though it just seemed to be gratuitous violence,if you found yourself thinking about Donnie Darko 3 days after you watched it. If these movies left you empty inside, you are probably better off moving on without a second look.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:29pm by bgsgfan » Logged

bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:36pm »

I wrote this when I was in a very depressed mood, but I think I'll go ahead and post it.

Do you really want to know me? I am not pretty. Your average puff brain out there won't like me. My taste in movies, like my taste in music, to a large extent is a reflection of myself. It is dark and it is ugly; it's me.

Good Will Hunting
Do you have any idea how lonely it is to be so freaking smart? To be 3 steps beyond your teacher? Every year I wasted 90% of my time because of the dumb asses sitting around me. The same lessons, over and over. Teachers teaching the same subjects, year in and year out. The worst were the freaking geeks who always do their homework and stand in line just the way the teacher wants. Their faces when I killed them on standardized tests were priceless.

Will Hunting is me from that age. More glib. Maybe a little more handsome.

Robin Williams is the mentor I never found.

The story reminds me that I wasn't doomed to my current depravity - it was a choice.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:11pm by bgsgfan » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:03pm »

You are being tongue-in-cheek there, right, bg, at least basically, right?  Anyway, Good Will Hunting is a great one.  For myself, I would put it a notch above that "big" group I have alluded to now a couple times.

Regarding TUS, of the list of movies you mentioned, I have only seen two of them, Natural Born Killers, the "social commentary" of which I get, but still was turned off by due to the overly gratuitous violence, and Pulp Fiction, which to me had little in the way of a substantive point and was VERY gratuitously violent.  That having been said, I was entertained by both, like I was Reservoir Dogs, but also walked away from them all somewhat ill, in heart, mind and spirit.  So, maybe, TUS is not for me.

Anyway, it does ironically appear thus far that I am the guy whose list nobody relates to, outside of The Matrix, which is actually, objectively-speaking probably the most "average" or "common" of the ones on my list.  Oh well!
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:09pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:03pm, StegRock wrote:
You are being tongue-in-cheek there, right, bg, at least basically, right?

No.  That is me (in a mood, but still me).  No sarcasm, no wit, tongue completely out of cheek.  

For example: I always had the highest test scores, even in auditorium filled classrooms at Ohio State, even in honors classes.  Every subject, every time.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:22pm »

Now, where did you go to school before or after Ohio State?  Or, am I confusing you with someone else?  I remember your telling me...

Anyway, what do you mean by "in a mood"?  I want to follow, I think. ???

Well, in any case, it is great to know we got some brains 'round these here parts.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:26pm »

Oh, and by the way, bg, are you still going to use that post above that you modified down to nothing or can it be deleted?
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 8:31am »

You can delete posts?  

I don't know how smart I am - I do know I am a conceited, egomaniacal .

I went to Kent State for a year while living at home, Ohio State for a year, got married, after 2 years went back to school at Youngstown State University.

As for being "in a mood", the easiest non-verbose explanation is just to say depressed.  Sometimes when I am this way, it is much better to just ignore me - I have a tendency to try to drag everyone down into the bleak hopeless despair that surrounds me.  

Its ironic that I used to get upset with my ex when she was depressed.  At that time in my life I felt like the purpose of life was happiness and nothing should stand in the way of achieving one's personal state of bliss.  I don't mean fleeting enjoyment that leaves you empty, I mean happiness in the way where your inner self seems to swell with a power and love and feels like it will make even the sun appear dim.

Now I know that no matter how powerful the sun appears, the moon can block its rays and turn the brightest day into night.

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 9:24am »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:05pm, StegRock wrote:

I will say this, though, regarding DPS, I totally get where you are coming from as a (former) teacher, BUT emotionally the suicide was, though appropriate to the story, over-the-top for me; I didn't shed much of a tear honestly and as you can infer from my write-ups above, I cry pretty easily if I am genuinely moved.

I have to admit that the suicide didn't move me to tears either.  What did were his friends' reactions to the suicide and also the scene at the end.  As far as the suicide was handled, I love the way it was handled in the film.

Quote:
Actually, Philly, if you really want to get into it and think it through, your picking this in your top group versus my having Lean on Me in mine provides for a fascinating juxtaposition. If you saw Lean on Me, what were your takes regarding it? I think this would be a very intriguing and revealing path to go down.

I am reluctant to admit that I have never seen the movie (in its entirety).  I am aware of Joe Clark and his story, but missed the flick.

I agree with your pick of Glory as a masterpiece.  I have trouble with Matthew Broderick (who I respect greatly as an actor) in the lead role.  Something about him just didn't ring true to me.

Good Will Hunting was another great movie.  I just watched it again last week on the Bravo channel.  I'm still amazed that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote the screenplay.  One of the scenes I love best is when Will confronts the history grad student in the bar (or 'bah', as it is said in Boston).  Then the line, a bit later, "Do you like apples?"... priceless.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 10:47am »

on Jun 24th, 2003, 9:24am, Philly wrote:
...and also the scene at the end.

That moved me too!  Those kids were doing the right thing and, moreover, so dramatically, poignantly and effectively.

Quote:
I am reluctant to admit that I have never seen the movie (in its entirety).  I am aware of Joe Clark and his story, but missed the flick.

Quote:
I agree with your pick of Glory as a masterpiece.  I have trouble with Matthew Broderick (who I respect greatly as an actor) in the lead role.  Something about him just didn't ring true to me.

GET THIS...  I "felt" the same thing to a degree and have heard this from quite a few others, including movie critics.  Understand that I am a fairly big Broderick fan, but here is how I saw it.  I saw it as absolutely brilliant acting in that I think the man himself was "torn" from within, quite unsure of himself and what he was doing, especially given his youthful age, and probably came off "unbelievable" to his peers, as well.  So, I thought Broderick's "herky-jerky", if you will, performance REALLY captured the very "essence" of the "actual" circumstances even if it was accidental or coincidental on his part.  Do you kind of follow?

Quote:
Good Will Hunting was another great movie.  I just watched it again last week on the Bravo channel.  I'm still amazed that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote the screenplay.  One of the scenes I love best is when Will confronts the history grad student in the bar (or 'bah', as it is said in Boston).  Then the line, a bit later, "Do you like apples?"... priceless.

I like the apples line, as well.  But, I love the closing scene when he goes up to the door and it starts clicking in that his lifelong pal has, the way he told him in the construction-site scene he wanted him to, "moved on" (to bigger and better things).

on Jun 24th, 2003, 8:31am, bgsgfan wrote:
Now I know that no matter how powerful the sun appears, the moon can block its rays and turn the brightest day into night.

bg, my man, you need to hang out with me more. I don't know if I have the solutions, per se; I'm sure I don't, to your precise set of issues, but I just think I might be the kind of person who can "shed some light" on... "things".
DOLPHINDAN1
Tackling Dummy
# 137

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 11:38am »

Dances with Wolves.....Is my masterpiece of choice......I think it really hit home to what the wild frontier was actually like......I also loved Robin Hood......I am a huge Kevin Costner fan......yes even Waterworld......Titanic was terrific.....Shrek was a instant classic......if you have never seen it take the time to it is hilarious......Both American Pie's........All time classic Fast Times at Ridgemont High.....
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 12:18pm »

on Jun 24th, 2003, 11:38am, DOLPHINDAN1 wrote:
Dances with Wolves.....Is my masterpiece of choice......I think it really hit home to what the wild frontier was actually like

What about DWW hit you as being more realistic than other frontier movies? (trying it this way so Steg doesn't pull his hair out)
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2003, 8:33am by bgsgfan » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 24th, 2003, 5:52pm »

on Jun 24th, 2003, 12:18pm, bgsgfan wrote:
What about DWW hit you as being more realistic than other frontier movies? (tying it this way so Steg doesn't pull his hair out)

Nice approach! Thanks!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 3:23am »

I was thinking about extending my all-time favorites list above from top 5 to top 10 and adding my #6 through #10 favorite movies.  I was having a tough time breaking it down just like when I first approached this.  I mean that is why I ended up only choosing five to begin with because those five stuck out, in particular.  Anyway, while pondering this for a second time and really reaching deep, something dawned on me.  Movies like the "Wizard of Oz", and even one step odder in that they are holiday movies, the 1951 classic rendition of "a Christmas Carol", the one with Alastair Sim, and "It's a Wonderful Life" were coming to mind.  If I were to count these movies, all of which I have seen on video, i.e. without breaks, not just on network TV, there is a good chance they would ALL make my top 10, quite frankly speaking.  What would you guys say here?  Do you think movies like those should be counted in this kind of thing?  Can they even be compared to contemporary movies fairly?  Are they just too "different", in genre and in the "experience" of them?  Should we just stay focused on movies "of our time" (at least as it applies to the vast majority of us)?  Or, does "all-time" mean "all-time"?  What do you all think?
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 4:03am »

All-Time means All-Time.

Earlier today I asked my girlfriend to help me come up with some happy movies that are among my favorites. We are still working on it. For a couple minutes I pondered Remember the Titans, but then I considered what I would talk about - and the main reason it connects with me is that my cousin (who was a high school football god) died in a car wreck.

Anyways, maybe thinking about my favorite older movies will help me think of a favorite thats happy. A Clockwork Orange ? Taxi Driver? Apocalypse Now?
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2003, 4:04am by bgsgfan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.