In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:37pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies  (Read 3810 times)
MordecaiCourage

Email

Re: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
« Reply #100 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 11:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Transformers was great! My boys loved it, non-stop action. I'm not sure if the storyline followed the toy's storyline or not. But it was really good. I'm not into these types of movies at all normally. I'd give it two thumbs up. Had some cussing and sexual references in it that bothered me , but all in all, a fun movie.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #101 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I got my first dose of reality that I am getting "old". I am no longer in sync with what's entertaining and funny for the youth of America.  The Mrs. and I, in highly anticipated fashion, took the rare opportunity last night to take in a dinner and a movie, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry.  I'm so disappointed in Adam Sandler and Kevin James.  I got more liberal politics out of it than laughs.  I didn't even come close to a hearty belly laugh, no less tearing up with laughter.  As regards their message, understanding, acceptance and softening language is one thing, but mainstreaming is another.   I mean the ambiance in the theater became so full of politically correct hot air, that the youngins in the theater with us couldn't even bring themselves to laugh at the funny lines of the villian of the movie played by Steve Buscemi.  During the climactic scene of the movie, I found myself, somewhat embarrassingly, all alone laughing out loud at one of his lines. And, the left accuses the right of demonizing people.  Gimme a break! THIS was supposed to be a comedy, for goodness sake.  The irony is that the very political correctness of their political message is what restricted their comedic liberties.  Here we go with that "meta-level" stuff again...  They couldn't do the things that would have made the story funny.  I expected the movie to play off of the awkward situations that two very straight guys pretending to be in a gay marriage would find themselves in.  I thought there would be scenes where James and Sandler, two "guys guys", would have to deal with the "funny" situation of acting obviously effeminate, i.e. like total flamers, in public or something and more scenes where their gay charade, so to speak, would be put "comedically" to the test.  Political correctness precluded virtually all of the former and much of the latter.  I also thought that with Sandler, whose perhaps greatest skill is to infuse his work with heart, there would be that climactic kleenex moment that pulls at your heart strings.  The story was totally set up that way as they had rigged this marriage precisely for Larry's children, i.e. so as to avoid a loveless (heterosexual) marriage, which could jeopardize Larry's children's claims to his pension.  But, the moviemakers got too caught up in making their political point, that that got lost.  They even went as far as to make Larry's son queer.  That kid just became annoying.  I even thought ahead at what the heart-tugging moment could have been, but also thought to myself that there was no way I would be able to generate any emotion for this kid.  Though not as explicitly, in their gender-bending agenda, they even made his daughter a bit of a tomboy, although I could have generated some tears for her.  This movie was total garbage...

Bring back on 300,... plEEEEEase!!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #102 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:04pm »

Well, with the Super Bowl now over, I want to pass this goodie I just saw on DVD on to yous...  It's a German film called Der Tunnel, The Tunnel.  East-West Germany movie...  You can guess the theme.  It isn't something I would ever watch on my own, other than by chance if it ever made it's way onto a cable channel I happened to tune to.  One of my students at Kaplan is a film student.  He passed it on to me.  Big thumbs up!  Make that two... You won't be disappointed, I think...  Just set aside enough time.  It's a bit lengthy, 2 hours 40 minutes.  Definitely check it out, though!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #103 on: May 16th, 2008, 2:44am »

Holy CRAP...  I just saw No Country For Old Men tonight (with my students as my classes begin to wind down)...  My gawd...  The only good thing that came out of it is that I finally came up with a philosophical definition for "in style" or "in fashion"...  The definition of "in style" or "in fashion" is, whether it's good or bad, it's good (at least, to the media-driven masses).  That'll be in my book of aphorisms someday.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.