In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:45pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies  (Read 3811 times)
kidcrash
Head Coach
# 229

doh

View Profile Email

Re: Get to know your Gridironers - Topic: Movies
« Reply #50 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 8:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I couldnt of said it better tony o. very moving and spiritual.I came out of the passion feeling very humbled.the movie also strentghened my faith,which I really needed.

mmmm beer
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 12:31am »

Gotta start this out with a little levity...

on Mar 20th, 2004, 1:00am, Tony_O wrote:
It made me want to be a better person.

So, you felt about The Passion of The Christ the way Jack Nicholson's character felt about Helen Hunt's character in As Good As It Gets, almost verbatim. ...

Well, I finally "took it in" today, Palm Sunday,... somewhat ideal. It was some of the fastest two hours and however many minutes I've ever spent. For me, it finished before it began. I also watched the special Dateline tonight broadcast from Jerusalem. It conducted an "academic" (though not liberal) study of the history of Christ's last days. In any case, here are just a few of the thoughts I had walking away from the movie and it all...

1) I thought their choice to do the movie in the language(s) of the times, Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, whatever, with English subtitles was a great move. It made the whole experience (at least seem) more authentic to me.

2) It stirred quite a bit of emotion up in me. I did not cry very much, though. I mostly just had my hands over my nose and mouth with my mouth agape. The one part I did well up at was when Jesus was carrying the cross through the city and fell and Mary got close to him and told him, "I am here." Even though it is not scripturally accurate, the parallel of her thinking back to when he was a little boy and falling worked for me.

3) I now get the criticism from the Jewish perspective though I do not agree with the level to which they have heaped it on Mel Gibson. The movie did not portray the Romans (Italians), in general, in any better light. They were BARBARIC, in capitals! Mostly, it reflected on Jews poorly, somewhat ironically because it did not more strictly stick to New Testament scripture AND specifically because it took the VERY soft approach to Pontius Pilate's complicity... used the VERY "forgiving" interpretation regarding the role of Pontius Pilate in the (putting to) death of Jesus Christ. HOWEVER, regarding the contemporary debate, though they took the harsh, to say the least, approach to Caiphas and his crew, it must be mentioned that they did portray a couple dissenting Judaic high priests, which is NOWHERE to be found in scripture, and many Jewish "believers", and, on the other hand, they were not AT ALL really generous to Abenadar and Cassius, both who became Christians and in the case of the latter became who is better known in the Catholic Church as St. Longinus, a martyr of Christianity. ... Of course, it's ALL the fulfillment of prophecies, right? So...? Anyway, the movie's scriptural innaccuracy and stepping on the toes of Jews are largely a function of its really being based on the stigmatic visions of the Augustinian nun Anne Catherine Emmerich (well-known among (Catholic) theological academics). She was also considered an anti-Semite. Here are some resources for those interested in digging:

http://www.emmerich1.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm
(focus on chapters 40 through 49);

http://www.belief.net/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=9829&discussio nID=333547;

http://www.thepassionforum.com/n/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewto pic&t=29;

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/140/story_14099.html.

4) Most importantly, probably, and regarding a substantive, even if somewhat small, effect the movie has had on me, just out of sheer respect for what I now MUCH better understand Jesus endured for his beliefs, for what was right, for the good, for our good, for the greater good, for "something" greater (than himSELF),... for us, I am going to make a VERY CONCERTED effort from now on to rid my quite vast vocabulary of expletives of "J---- C-----"! I'll stick with my f's, sh's, bs's, a-holes, etc., etc., for sure, but no more taking His name in vein. I even caught myself during the movie in reaction to the violence he was enduring going "J---- C-----!" I was SO EMBARRASSED, an emotion I do NOT often feel, and no one probably even heard me.

5) I learned A LOT through this all.

See it! You won't regret it!
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2004, 2:28pm by Stegfucius » Logged
The Juror
Head Coach
# 184

LT-None Better

View Profile

Re: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Movies
« Reply #52 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 11:49am »

I am a huge movie buff.

All time Favorites-

1) Its A Wonderful Life

2) 12 Angry Men (The original with Henry Fonda)

3) Shawshank Redemption

4) The Godfather

5) The Searchers (John Wayne)

As far as Sports Movies Go:

1) A Field of Dreams

2) The Natural

3) The Brian Piccolo Story

4) Pride of the Yankees

5) Rudy

Play like a Champion!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #53 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 12:56pm »

on Apr 26th, 2004, 11:49am, The Juror wrote:
1) Its A Wonderful Life

on Jul 1st, 2003, 1:09am, StegRock wrote:
#9 - It's a Wonderful Life
Okay, the first sappy old movie, a Christmas one no less.  WHATEVER!  Jimmy Stewart is "the man" and Donna Reed is straight-up hot.  I remember someone mentioning non-linear storylines earlier on this thread.  Well, it wasn't taken to the non-linear extremes of today, but the story of this 1946 movie was WAY ahead of its time in that respect.  And, Clarence, if you ain't when that bell on the Christmas tree rings at the end of the movie, you had better head to the doctor, no, not a psychiatrist, an M.D., because you ain't got a heart.  I am getting teary right now!  I will watch this movie every year for the rest of my life and be entertained each and every time.

WE've got a connection!  I was actually thinking that people were just daring to be different. So, TJ, based on where you listed it, are we to understand that "It's a Wonderful Life" is in fact your #1 all-time favorite or did you just happen to think of it first (which would be telling too, actually)?
The Juror
Head Coach
# 184

LT-None Better

View Profile

« Reply #54 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 4:54pm »

Steg,

Its my ALL time favorite.  I like Capra's work and have always been a huge Jimmy Stewart Fan.    Donna Reed is such a babe in it, and a little did you know GBRFL style.

Did you know that Alfalfa, from the Little Rascals also was in Its a wonderful life.

Play like a Champion!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 3:44am »

on Apr 26th, 2004, 4:54pm, The Juror wrote:
Did you know that Alfalfa, from the Little Rascals also was in Its a wonderful life.

Yes, I did! He is one of George Bailey's (or his brother's) high school buds, right? I remember him in the pool scene, for sure.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004, 3:45am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 11:59pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2003, 6:28pm, bgsgfan wrote:
if you found yourself thinking about Donnie Darko 3 days after you watched it...

I just saw this movie for the first time.  I'm not quite sure how to react to it.  I imagine I'll be thinking about it for a while and deconstructing/reconstructing it.

It was an amazing movie, to say the least.

It's kind of weird, in some senses... it was a Gridironer here who, indirectly led me to this movie -- I happened to see it in Blockbuster tonight and vaguely remembered bgsgfan commenting on it and decided to give it a whirl.  Then as I'm watching it, the music really jumped out at me.  Two of the songs that were featured prominently in the movie are songs that are on my list of favorites (but not yet posted on the other thread) and another song in the movie is by a group which will also be represented on my list.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 3:00pm »

Saw I, Robot last night.  Good, but no Matrix as it had been being compared.  Anybody else see it?
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:33pm »

Saw The Longest Yard today. It's the first movie I've seen since The Passion of the Christ or I-Robot; I can't remember which (edit:  oops... I should've looked right above ). Anyway (italicized, but not the name of a movie ,... I think), it was pretty good. Very "split decision", though. The first half rather stunk. BUT, the second half, from the "wet field" scene on, it gained it's heart and really got good. Adam Sandler and Chris Rock were great as was the rest of all-star (amateur-actor) cast, actually, which included the likes of Nelly, Chris Berman, Michael Irvin, Bob "The Beast" Sapp, whose character was particularly endearing, Kevin "Big Sexy" Nash, whose character was a hoot (quite literally in a way ), etc., etc. It's not going to go down as one of the best sports or, moreover, football movies of all time, but it's a goodie worth checking out. I give it...
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:35pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 9:35am »

Being the father of a two-year old, I don't get to see many movies in the theatre.  However, over the past month I've managed to catch THREE movies.

1.  Madagascar (with the little guy) - It didn't hold my son's interest for more than 10 minutes (nothing much does - except when we got him the pretzel bites with cheese dip - he was quiet for a full 20 minutes there).  The movie was pretty good considering the target audience.  There was some good adult (not risque, just more advanced) humor to keep me interested.  The story was OK.  Some good characters (the chimps, for example) were under-utilized while other (less interesting) characters were overplayed.  All in all, I'll give this one a C+.

2. Star Wars 3 Revenge of the Sith - Saw this with a friend who really wanted to see it.  I'm not a big Star Wars guy, so much of it was lost on me.  The action was great.  Decent storyline that really leads the viewer into the first Star Wars movie from 30 years ago.  Acting was horrendous, although I'm told that is part of the schtick.  I'd give it a B-.

3. Batman Begins - I saw this one over the weekend.  This is a winner.  Fantastic acting and an amazing cast.  This is a darker film than many would expect.  Great story and great action.  I'd give it an A.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 1:02am »

Saw War of the Worlds today... The story/plot/point was... It was more of just a play-by-play.  I love Tom Cruise, but, whatever...  Do NOT waste your money on this flick.
LaHorace
Water Boy
# 468

"I'm comfortable with my alcoholism"- Nick Nolte

View Profile Email

« Reply #61 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 12:25am »

Cinema is a relatively new artform. There are, indeed, very few examples of art within it. As an artist, I briefly present five:

1.) Citizen Kane[i]-The greatest example in all of the medium of genius meeting form. Phenominal, unnecessarily contraversial, magnificent, and all the other jimmies on top.

2.) [i]The Godfather 1 & 2
-Since Aeschalus and Sophocles, never has a more horrific tragedy been wrought. Outstanding imagery of contrasts, superbly acted and directed.

3.) Pulp Fiction-Never before or since has such a disturbingly grotesque environment provided such a redemptive scenario. How does a grimy find redemption? Through traumatic chaos. These are questions and answers about the human condition that most artists are afraid to delve into--Tarantino does it with a sense of curious joy.

4.) Taxi Driver-In contrast to the lovable low-lifes of Pulp Fiction, Travis Bickle is the unpolished depiction of the true grimy. He's not witty, he's not intelligent, and he has no ambitions. He just wants to know somebody. In that the inability to do that combimes with a psychotic episode, the media's coverage of said episode is all telling.

5.) Unforgiven- Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, and the whores are all the same people in this architypical account of the perfect infernal scene: they're not good, they're not doing the wrong thing, they're just...unforgiven.

If it came right down to it, I'd rather be Nick Nolte than Gary Busey.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:10am »

Got a chance to see Wedding Crashers last weekend.  I loved it.  I'm a big fan of Owen Wilson (although he seems to be playing the same exact character in every movie now -- it's OK though, because I like the character) and Vince Vaughn (underrated comedic actor).  This is the first time they've starred in a movie together and they are an incredible team - an intriguing study in contrasting comedic styles.  The movie was hilarious.  I'm looking forward to seeing it on DVD because there were times in the theatre where I couldn't hear dialogue because the audience was laughing too loud.  This is also the first movie I've seen with Rachel McAdams ... wow!
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #63 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Top 10 All time

That's really tough!!

10. Rocky  
9. Glory
8. My Life As A House
7. Dead Poets Society
6. Saving Private Ryan  
5. It's a Wonderful Life  
4. The Passion
3. Tombstone
2. The Shawshank Redemption  
1. Forrest Gump

This is impossible............
I'm spent just trying to come up with a list...forget trying to explain myself!!!!!!! If you'd like to know why and how...ask.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:12pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #64 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:25pm »

I'd like to know "why and how"...  MC, focus on the "substance"/"quality" (I know I'm departing from Aristotelian categories AND a Chinese sensibility here; I think there is a fusion/sythesis to be performed) of life, not just the mundane littany of things/matters (there I go again) like we (unanimatedly) tend to do.  Share with us "you", NOT the movies!
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #65 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 2:38pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:25pm, StegRock wrote:
I'd like to know "why and how"... MC, focus on the "substance"/"quality"

OK Steg, but briefly.....Rocky ....has to be on the list!! My life mirrored his a bit(Albeit a stretch). I found tons of inspiration from Rocky. I was an underdog because I was a hippie in a mostly redneck school. I had to pull out all kinds of inner strength just to go! I did and lettered in 4 sports. I showed MY naysayers that it was inner strength not appearance that made me!!

Glory ....Just an awesome story about conflict...both between a nation divided and race! Classic struggle to gain respect as men. Just the fact that African Americans even wanted to fight for a country that used them as they did, was inspiring to me.

My Life as a House ....Kevin Klein pulled this off to a "T"! A story about a dying father who is desperate to get his kid back from the brink!! Cried my eyes out.

Dead Poets Society ...."Captain, My Captain" ...excerpts from Whitman....Carpe Diem....poetry taught by living life not by the confines of 4 walls in a school! C'mon, there is something to be said for that.

Saving Private Ryan.... So real...so sad. Gave me a sense of real loss after I watched that show. Our grandfather's were awesome soldiers!!

It's a Wonderful Life..... Capra's magic! Jimmy Stewart was one of only 3 actors whose death made me cry. I love the man. Not only for being endearing on screen, but for the way in which he lived his real life. Integrity is how I'd describe him in one word.

The Passion .....the world would never know of heaven had it not been for His gift. I wept as I envisioned myself as the reason He had to suffer so undeservably.

Tombstone ......Hands down the best western ever made! Not only did we get awesome portrayals of Doc and Wyatt, but we also caught a glimpse into their friendship. The history books do not acurately tell of this friendship despite what Earp's and Holiday's personal papers say about each other.

The Shawshank Redemption ......Never saw the prison break coming!!! Determination fueled by hope. The condition of the human spirit as seen through Andy Dufrain's positive outlook. The look on Red's (Morgan Freeman) face when he saw that Andy escaped was priceless!! The classic "good guys win in the end" story

Forrest Gump...... This picture had everything. How true it is that our actions can shape the world even if it does so unknown to us. Who couldn't love a story about a simple minded hero!! Tom Hank's is da' man!

Honorable mention: Here is a short list of other films that have left an immpression on me in one fashion or the other. The Polar Express; The Tuskeegee Airmen; The Family Man; Sgt. York; Endless Summer; Dances With Wolves; and E.T.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 5:20pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #66 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 11:39pm »

on Oct 4th, 2005, 2:38pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:

Honorable mention: Here is a short list of other films that have left an immpression on me in one fashion or the other. The Polar Express; The Tuskeegee Airmen; The Family Man; Sgt. York; Endless Summer; Dances With Wolves; and E.T.

I guess I'd be remiss not to add The Exorcist to my Honorable Mention list!! The single-most scariest movie ever made. This movie made such an impact on me as a young boy who snuck into the movie at the theatre!! I was sorry I did!  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 12:04pm »

I DIGRESS...
    Gots a question for yous...  I like horror movies and all, but...  Recently I picked up the movie Saw on video (it was in a cheapy bin at Walmart).  In hindsight, I'm thinkin' maybe I shouldn't have...  Has anybody seen this thing or heard much about it?  Bottom line, is this shit gonna freak my ass out??? Am I gonna come out of this, or should I say never come out of this, with the shakes, cryin' for momma...???
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #68 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 12:51pm »

hello Nancy Boy ,

Yes I saw SAW. (had to say it like that).

GOOD MOVIE!

WATCH IT!

No, it shouldn't freak you out. Rather, its just a good movie but, not one of those brain stamping things that you never forget about - IMO.

*BEE BYE BOE BUM!!; I SMELL THE STENCH OF SOME INSANE PLAYER SCUM.
*2004 CHUMP-ION of Insane World!!!!!
*Domination of the DUKE BEEgins right here!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #69 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 7:56am »

Are there any really good horror flicks any more?  Ones that can really scare you and make you think about it for a long time afterward?  I love a good scare, but it seems like most of the horror movies any more are too formulaic and rely on blood and guts rather than truly messing with your head.
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #70 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 9:16am »

on Jan 11th, 2006, 7:56am, Philly wrote:
Are there any really good horror flicks any more? Ones that can really scare you and make you think about it for a long time afterward? I love a good scare, but it seems like most of the horror movies any more are too formulaic and rely on blood and guts rather than truly messing with your head.

I agree. However, have you ever checked out the japanese-based ones and inparticular "The Grudge" and another moreso obvious one(s), the Hole - or ummmmmmmmm (can't remember the name of it - ironic ),....the one in which the girl comes outta the T.V. after watching a video.............I thought was a good series.
Proabably not up there with al-time classics but, good enough nonetheless.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2006, 10:08am by KillerKingSting » Logged

KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #71 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 10:10am »

on Jan 11th, 2006, 9:16am, KillerKingSting wrote:

I agree. However, have you ever checked out the japanese-based ones and inparticular "The Grudge" and another moreso obvious one(s), the Hole - or ummmmmmmmm (can't remember the name of it - ironic ),....the one in which the girl comes outta the T.V. after watching a video.............I thought was a good series.
Proabably not up there with all-time classics but, good enough nonetheless.

The RING. I didn't care too much for the first one - just didn't give me enough of the ugly-dead-chick comin outta the T.V. but,

the 2nd one did and then some!

A very good 1-2 series!

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 4:04pm »

I saw The Ring and liked it (not loved it).  It had its moments.  Never saw the second one because I figured it would just go downhill.

Haven't seen The Grudge because I heard a lot of bad reviews of it from critics and real people.  (Not to imply that critics aren't real people...)  
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #73 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 4:55pm »

I first saw the Grudge in it's japanese version. It kept me going! I loved it! When it came out as an american film - I also loved it though - knew what was basically going to happen the whole time since it was almost just a clone of the asian-made version.

However, with heightened special affects - it was still worth watching.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 12:30am »

Yea,... but,... (and I know this is kind of a late "yea, but..." ) even Japanese movies have gone the way of the gory as Philly mentions regarding American horror movies.  ...  I haven't seen it (yet), but I saw short flicks of it during Halloween on top horror movie countdown-type shows,... and F'N YIKES!!!  Need I say more than... "AUDITION"!!! Just shove that one in your search-engine and see what it says out there...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.