In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:52am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Music

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Music
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Music  (Read 17001 times)
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic: Music
« Reply #200 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I seriously doubt there is another member of the Gridiron who could beat me at name that tune, and I must say, I have never heard the song at #3. I am very much waiting for Steg's #2 and #1 hits on his countdown though.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #201 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 26th, 2007, 7:12am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
I seriously doubt there is another member of the Gridiron who could beat me at name that tune, and I must say, I have never heard the song at #3. I am very much waiting for Steg's #2 and #1 hits on his countdown though.

BW...that's where you'd be wrong my friend!!! I am, without a doubt, the Gulf Coast Regional Champion Name That Tuner!! Just plain can't be beat.  I'm the guy they call when they get stumped on a song's title...the artist...even the year the song came out!! I can even tell 'em what the artist had for lunch the day they recorded the song! Oh yeah...I'm that good  
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:30am by MordecaiCourage » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #202 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 1:13pm »

Seriously MC, I doubt I'd even break a sweat as I crushed you.  

MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #203 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 3:26pm »

on Jul 26th, 2007, 1:13pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
Seriously MC, I doubt I'd even break a sweat as I crushed you.

Oh yes BW, you'd break a sweat alright.....on your furrowed little brow!! Little beads just'a poppin' up as you watched me rip right through song titles, one right after the other, without even needing to hear a single solitary note.   I can envision it now ~~~~~Crowds cheering me on...women tossing their panties at me....Mayors trying to give me the key to their cities...Governor's naming counties after me...a spike in the numbers of parents naming their newborns "Mordecai"!! Ah yes, the Pandemonium of it all...the sheer Pandemonium of it all!!!  
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #204 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 3:47pm »

LOL...you keep believing that MC...it's nice to day dream every once in a while!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #205 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 4:19pm »

First off, I'm gonna go with the (former) disc jockey in this debate here.

on Jul 26th, 2007, 7:12am, BarnabyWilde wrote:

B-dub, I can't believe you didn't know #3. I suppose I'm proud. In any case, what did you think of it???  So-so? Too mellow? Or, cool?

And, in any event, I apologize, MC, everybody, for not having this #2 tune up already.  One thing has just led into another here lately.  It'll be soon, I hope.
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #206 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 9:55pm »

on Jan 5th, 2007, 2:46pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
Man Steg...I doubt that any Gridironer knows that song...except ol' MC that is. I used to listen to this way before they were the popular band they became. JC was a brilliant song writer...though I never dug his voice.

Oh...and by the way BW..I DID name that tune that you had no idea of who it was!  
  You're soft!! you may have DJ'ed but I did a little time in a record shop as a teen ya' know...I racked up 4 years shelving, listening to, reading lyrics and ordering all genres of music...on vinyl of course!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007, 10:01pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #207 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 4:54am »

Number 2!!! #2!!! Number 2!!! #2!!! Number 2!!! #2!!!

Steggie Steggum's Top 40 Countdown

#2... Well, we're REALLY changin' gears here!!! Nevertheless, though, this is yet another one of my favs, who's making a re-appearance here in the countdown. Understand, however, that this is NOT a genre of music I liked at all as a kid.  During my high school years, everybody who listened to this stuff was... It wasn't 'til I went to college, joined a fraternity (and hooked up with my boys Markie a.k.a. Drew Rosenhaus and Danny a.k.a. IbdFunk), and saw guys who looked like "me" rockin' out to this stuff that I gave it a chance. WELL, once I did there was NO turnin' back, and,... well,... I had me a new fav (although there will ALWAYS be a special place in my heart for those other dudes and their "robot song" that sits at #11 hereof). IT'S ALL LOVE ALL THE TIME AT THIS POINT IN THE COUNTDOWN!!! Whereas #3 is my chill-out tune, this is my pump-up song. In fact, Gridironers, like this song or hate it, we all owe it some SERIOUS love because its aggressive up-beat pushed me forward many a late night as I've worked on this place. This was especially true back in July-August of 2002 when I endured the labor pains of birthing this place... back in Andong, South Korea where exists the still-inhabited traditional Korean folk village and where western, no less American, media was scarce (NO AFKN; too far away from any military base to pick up the signal). This song was a BIG part of the background of the formation of "the Gridiron". Again, like it or not, this quality of this song is undeniable; musically, guitar-wise, this stuff is Mozart-esque. While the lyrics ultimately admittedly take liberties with the biblical reference at play (namely, ), you can't help but sing along with this sucker. I can belt out the hook in my sleep. This song is in your face, leaps out and grabs you and brings you into its world before you can even react. There is NO better song to be kickin' off the days of August and the NFL season with... than this... For those of yous (on the mainland) catching this in the immediacy of my posting it, GOOD MORNING... Get ready to WAKE the @&~# UP!!!!! Oh,... and remember that 2-song, 15-minute block I was tellin' yous about...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/2.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2007, 6:58am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #208 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 9:50am »

I was definitely into this genre for some time in middle and high school, although I never got into this band despite their prominence in this particular genre. They were just making a name for themselves when I was transitioning away from heavy metal. This is definitely a wake-up song though. However, Eric Mangini will argue with you as to its suitability for opening training camp as he's decided to stop playing the rap and metal at camp and pump in Mozart instead, hoping that the team will learn better with that music playing.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #209 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 10:45am »

I too never really was "in" to this particular band (I even slept through one of their sets at a concert)

But, much like a few other artists, they have recently grown on me.

steelkings

Email

« Reply #210 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 5:29pm »

Quote:
(I even slept through one of their sets at a concert)

Bong!!!
If you slept through a ... set you were either way stoned Or..... 5 at the time and up way past your bedtime young man.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2007, 11:41pm by Stegfucius » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #211 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 5:32pm »

LOL...

Actually, they were the 2nd act in the Monsters of Rock tour, right behind Kingdom Come and before Dokken. I was so dehydrated being in the hot sun all day I fell asleep.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #212 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 9:44pm »

A little Christmas "Eve...ning" gift for yous,... a "hint" (in both senses of the word, I suppose)... of the #1 tune on "Steggie Steggum's All-time Top 40 Countdown", my far-and-away most beloved song (but don't base any expectations on that; this song is just as "off"-the-"beat"en-"track" as many of the others,... kind of).  Any guesses send me by private message.  Here's the hint...

The track, at looooong last, will be comin' atchyas on New Year's Day.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #213 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 4:28pm »

on Dec 25th, 2007, 9:44pm, StegRock wrote:
A little Christmas "Eve...ning" gift for yous,... a "hint" (in both senses of the word, I suppose)... of the #1 tune on "Steggie Steggum's All-time Top 40 Countdown", my far-and-away most beloved song (but don't base any expectations on that; this song is just as "off"-the-"beat"en-"track" as many of the others,... kind of). Any guesses send me by private message. Here's the hint...

The track, at looooong last, will be comin' atchyas on New Year's Day.

Okay...  I'll give another hint...

A few bars of this tune made a "cameo appearance" on an episode of Seinfeld.  Kramer sang/hummed it, and then I think a little bit of the real recorded song closed out the show during the credits.

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #214 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 4:59am »

Well, I'm sorry that I was unable to get this up earlier. It looks like I'm just going to make it under the gun... "as promised"... Hawaii time. At any rate,... without further ado,... almost FOUR FULL YEARS since I began this here,... spanning five calendar years, 2004 - 2008,... my VERY undisputed...

Number 1!!! #1!!! Number 1!!! #1!!! Number 1!!! #1!!!

Steggie Steggum's Top 40 Countdown

#1... I have found very few people who don't dig this "cult HIT", but I have also found very few who LOVE it the way I do. I LOVE EVERYTHING about this song. The sound, love it. All the sounds, love 'em. It seems like every time I listen to the tune, I hear a neat new one. The beat, love it. The unusual vocals, love 'em. The video, love it. The lyrics, love 'em, especially after I learned what they were about. Its creative theme, the album theme, love it. The group's name, love it. The fact that this tune was "off"-the-"beat"en-"track", yet garnered a significant underground following, I love. I also love the fact that it isn't your run-of-the-mill song about sex, love, drugs and alcohol, violence, politics, etc. Like other songs on my countdown here, this was one of those tunes I was "in search of" for YEARS. I always knew the song's title, though. There was NO WAY I was forgetting that. When I finally came across the album that had it, I couldn't contain myself, hopping around the music store. I think the needle had just about dug through the song on this album. Regarding the song's lyrics, for years I just thought it was some funky-good post-modern artistic blurb. When I came to learn what it was about,... well,... first of all,... that it was about something, I went nuts. After reading up on the song's topic, "border busters" (I'll gladly field questions later if need be), I became even more of an addict of the song. What a cool thing to sing about. As for the band, they were unfortunately short-lived. ... , MM and JN. I've got a couple of their albums. Great stuff... from the cutting edge of the new age. The video, I must admit, played no small role in the underground popularity of the song and, perhaps, why I even love it so. The video truly was ahead of its time. I suppose it was the first music-visual experience I had that was truly artistic and was apparently trying to tell a story (although I didn't understand it) and wasn't just a band filmed (from different angles) while playing or some t-n-a to sexually stimulate a preteen... AND WORKED. The song, I suppose, just stuck! Whenever you see a "Best of" show for this decade, this song never gets any respect and, yet, it was enjoyed by so many, making, as I pointed out in my post right above, a "cameo appearance" on Seinfeld. Mind you, though, in its time it hardly got any radio play. BUT, UNBELIEVABLY, two to three months ago when I began contemplating getting my #1 up here, YEARS after this song was produced, I'm in an Ace Hardware store, and on the "regular" rock station they have on, this song comes on. I was beyond myself. I was out of control. I, moving about the aisles suddenly swiftly, started singing the song. I asked the two cashier girls if they knew it. Of course, these two youngins didn't. ... Honestly, trying to put all this in words seems to be sacrilege because no words will capture how much I love this tune. The damn song just makes me feel good... EVERY time I hear it! I want to sing along with it. I want to dance to it. It's just a FUN tune! It makes me smile,... and I'm really hoping it does some of you too. I'm thinkin' at least a couple of you, upon realizing what song this is, are going to get that awesome feeling when you hear a song, particularly an off-the-beaten-track one, that you dug but have long forgotten... (And, you all are even getting a little bonus with this one,... the vid! ) With less than a minute to spare (Hawaii time),... my MOST beloved #1...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/1.htm (just click the play button).
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:44pm by Stegfucius » Logged
rickgpin
GM
# 487

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #215 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:55am »

it was worth waiting for.  i like that song alot...i probably saw and heard it in the early days of mtv.  

the top 40 was an enjoyable trip.  thanks steg,  keep rockin!

Ozark Hellbenders:TBD
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #216 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 5:34pm »

Down through the YEARS this thing lasted, not none, but so few ended up having or, at least, expressing to me here this following type of feeling...

on May 1st, 2004, 1:16am, StegRock wrote:
I just hope that some songs "click" some of the time; that all of you at some point(s) get that "awe"some feeling and smiles on your faces that we all have experienced when you hear a song that you like but have forgotten! As indicated, the list is very "Steglectic", so as a whole it will likely not appeal totally to any one person, but, on the other hand, it should have something that gives everyone that wondrous feeling and knod of the head, at some point(s) at least!

Oh, well...  False expectations...  But, your message above, rickster, albeit short, did have a little bit of that "feeling" (in both senses, I suppose) to it.  You may have been the only guy to "respond" to the "long-awaited" ... #1, but it wasn't just a rote, obligatory comment, and for that I thank you.  There was just that little bit of something more to your post that makes me feel that sense of connection with you... beyond text on a screen, usually one-liners.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #217 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:09am »

I'm still hoping to hear it at some point. I'm unable to view YouTube stuff at work (it's blocked) and I rarely find time to get online at home any more. I'll try to make a better effort to check it out.
steelkings

Email

« Reply #218 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:39pm »

Oh my god!

I waited five years for that?

The worst part is that it's gonna take anouther 5 years to get it back out of my head!

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #219 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 4:18am »

on Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:09am, Philly wrote:
I'm still hoping to hear it at some point. I'm unable to view YouTube stuff at work (it's blocked) and I rarely find time to get online at home any more. I'll try to make a better effort to check it out.

Heya, Jeff... Here's a non-YouTube version for you. It's ActiveX, hosted here like the rest,... but I made a little video for ya below... ... "Enjoy"...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/01.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2008, 4:40am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #220 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:17am »

Great song. Probably wouldn't crack my top 40, but one I enjoy nonetheless. I always lump this song along with another off-the-beaten-track one from the 1980s: "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors. I think they were both on a "Off-the-beaten-track Hits from the 80s" compilation.  

Honestly, I had no idea there was a deeper meaning to the lyrics. It's one of those songs that disguises its point in apparent inanity.
steelkings

Email

« Reply #221 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 1:05am »

Quote:
The worst part is that it's gonna take anouther 5 years to get it back out of my head!

Quote:
"Turning Japanese"

Oh Great!    

Thanks Jeff
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #222 on: May 21st, 2008, 6:46am »

I know I'm probably a couple YEARS behind the times here, but I stumbled across this tonight, and this was about the "keenest", most creative student productions I've seen in a long time.  It gives me some hope. Some of our youth still got it together.

It is a spin off of this song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGlvL-UE9M.

HERE IT IS...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa8nHKPZ5k.

Anybody ever see this before?  ...  In any event, GREAT JOB, guys!!!

This thing is so famous that there have even been copycat remixes of IT... that pale in comparison, mind you.

Hell of a lot better than this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mdX3PCHUlA.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #223 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 5:44am »

I've been meaning to post this for some time, but have kept forgetting...  But, right now, vis-a-vis the predicament we find ourselves on "the Gridiron" at the moment, it actually is timely and rather apropos.

While I think this song is solid, I don't think it's really great, and, at this point in life, I'm not a big fan of music videos.  However, this song and this video... WORK!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18pelixcmvQ.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #224 on: May 2nd, 2009, 2:12am »

I know this is a little late, but, hey, better late than never... Did you all see this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY??? If this doesn't at least lift the lump in your throat, you don't have a pulse. Really, it should at least put a smile on your face!
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2009, 5:43pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.