In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:39pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Paying the bills

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Paying the bills
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Paying the bills  (Read 7107 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Paying the bills
« on: May 2nd, 2004, 4:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, the first of the two major bills I pay throughout the year, mainly between April and July, just slammed my credit card today. It's the annual fee for web hosting, not the bigger of the two actually. The other one goes through later this month, I think. With some of these, I do not know the exact dates because, quite frankly speaking, I don't want to think about it. In light of the time I/I have put in, moreover, considering the extras like the leagues, it makes me a bit nauseous, really. It's a "tender" time of year for me. Let's put it that way.

Anyway, I'm usually on here saying "Thank You" to everybody for this or that "contribution" as I usually refer to it (a fact that is at times quickly and conveniently forgotten by some when I go about doing (the other not-so-easy side of) my "job" around here and what I do "happens" to step on their toes when, in fact, I am an equal opportunity enforcer when it comes to doing "my thang" 'round here ... hell, I've even caught myself making a mistake and moved a couple of my own threads).

This time I'm simply going to say the very rare, "You're Welcome".
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 11:42pm by Stegfucius » Logged
KillerKingSting
Gridiron Great
# 183

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

Re: Paying the bills
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2004, 3:50am »

I would assume that keeping up w/ this site and managing all the things that come along with doing so, is kind of like being the commissioner of a league in the respect that, no one can REALLY understand what sacrifices are made day in & out unless they do it themselves.

Count me in for a good 25$ a year to help out. Thanks for everything so far Steg-O-Matic!

*BEE BYE BOE BUM!!; I SMELL THE STENCH OF SOME INSANE PLAYER SCUM.
*2004 CHUMP-ION of Insane World!!!!!
*Domination of the DUKE BEEgins right here!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2004, 2:04pm »

on May 2nd, 2004, 4:19pm, StegRock wrote:
Well, the first of the two major bills I pay throughout the year, mainly between April and July, just slammed my credit card today.  It's the annual fee for web hosting, not the bigger of the two actually.  The other one goes through later this month, I think.  With some of these, I do not know the exact dates because, quite frankly speaking, I don't want to think about it.  In light of the time I/I have put in, moreover, considering the extras like the leagues, it makes me a bit nauseous, really.  It's a "tender" time of year for me.  Let's put it that way.

And, the other big one rolls in... just like I thought,... feared. They even give me a reminder by regular mail for this one.  Haven't let it singe my plastic yet. Should soon, though, before they cut off our "feed" and I have to renegotiate a new, probably not so generous this time, especially if I let it go until they have to cut me off, contract.  Either that or I just cut out the feature, which I do not want to do as it would surely be a MAJOR step in the wrong direction. On the other hand, given the kind and thoughtful donations I have received from a handful of our generous and considerate members (I know there are some out there who hate even momentarily thinking about the "bigger picture" and the thought of even peeking in on that thread, God forbid), cutting this out would actually mean I would no longer be running this place "in the red", so to speak. ... Anyway,...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2005, 9:30pm »

Guys, it's that time of the year again.  The months of April, May, June and July are basically when I have to pay for everything here, site hosting, domain registrations, the news feed, even my fee for credit-card processing is due, among other sundry things.  The bottom line,... bills are rolling in hard and fast, not to mention running this place only gets increasingly expensive, and now, given my current life circumstances as a graduate student, I have even less cash laying around to dump on things here.  Back when, even though I did not have spare cash, I was in a position to be very frugal about the rest of my life, but now having returned to graduate school (and with a huge move ahead of me, no less), I am totally strapped.

Every little bit helps, guys, five bucks, ten bucks, whatever!  You do not need to go breaking the piggy bank.  It's what allows me to keep things "officially" free around here and keep annoying advertisements away.  For information on helping me out, go to:

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/donate.htm.

Thanks for your anticipated consideration!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2005, 1:11am »

Just bumpin',... but not grindin'!  Just back to the grind (as my carpal tunnel starts its retreat,... I think )!  OUCH!  I shouldn't cross my fingers like that.  That hurts! (Really, actually!)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 20th, 2005, 8:11pm »

Just shelled out the big bucks to NewsKnowledge.com for "The REAL Feed".  Also, have made a few domain registration payments over the last couple months.  I hope you all enjoy it all and consider that while considering making a (modest) donation to "the Gridiron" (so as to keep it FREE 1) of membership fees and 2) unwanted ugly and distracting advertisements, which is what my intention has always been).
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 31st, 2005, 1:52pm »

Just bumpin'... not grindin'.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 7:01pm »

HOLY YIT!!!  If you did not see my message "between the 20's", I have an important update...  I just noticed TODAY that the "sendmail" part for the credit card form (as well as for most of the forms over at theEnglishMaster.com) was not working.  Even though things looked like they were working right on the front end to the user immediately after clicking the submit button, I was not receiving the e-mail notification of the donation (and neither was the submitter).  ...  God, I hope I did not miss any other donations or, moreover, orders over at theEnglishMaster.com.  I don't know how long this has been going on.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:00am »

Guys, I am just going to lay it on the line at this point. July 13th, when my web hosting fees are due and my wallet takes the biggest hit of the year, is practically upon us. There is nothing more fundamental to the existence of a web site than web hosting. You want to lend a hand, there is no better time than NOW!

A related, VERY "related", side note worth adding,... (as many of you dedicated Gridironers know) I now have my wife with me ("for good", which, of course, I am happy as a pig in swill about,... but maybe not "for the good" here). You want "the Gridiron" to remain FREE and annoying-ad-FREE or, moreover, even in existence, I have to justify things to my better half now. Mind you, she is totally cool and supportive of all my endeavors, including this one, and willing to ride the roller coaster that is the life of Steg, but, truth be said, I REALLY don't have the spare cash for this. I am a grad student about to go into my second year of deep five-digit (student loan) debt. Site's not going anywhere in the near future, of course, but, boy, just breaking even would go a loooong way to assuring the long term and, given the good deals I've worked hard on finding and garnering to run the site (FREE of charge and annoying-ad-FREE), it wouldn't be hard to accomplish, fellas. Dudes just need to step up (and realize the power of cooperation... and the "cooperative").

You can get on board and get information about how to show your generosity with a financial contribution to "the Gridiron" by going here:

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:17am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 12:39am »

The bottom line is staring me in the face! The day hath arrived to pay the big bill...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 7:44pm »

Well, my credit card withstood the brunt of the hit today... again.  Thank God!  If you're interested, you still have a little over 6 hours left (EST) to step up today and help relieve my D-day pain right away.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 2:20pm »

Okay...  Well,... the generosity wasn't, we'll say, overwhelming; it wasn't even "whelming", to be honest.  BUT, the "day after" is still a good day for the many to lessen the financial burden being borne by a few.

The point with that point is that this message is not really to those nine regular donors.  They've already given enough, and over and above their financial contributions most of them make significant non-financial contributions to the site writing articles and/or team reports, or at least as frequent posters on the forum.  If each of our 483 members gave like just $1.50, we'd be right around covering overhead costs.  That's not getting us ahead, but I'm a realist who understands and, moreover, appreciates the merits of slow-and-steady, step-by-step progress, and I am a believer in the cooperative.

In any event, on the other hand, like the way Callie took it upon herself to do by way of the following thread she created (without any prompting), http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=56;a ction=display;num=1121210826, those other aforementioned current contributors could still help encouraging others to step up the way they have.  Besides not seeing much in the way of financial contributions during this time when my credit card just got banged up, I am not even seeing anything in the way of posts encouraging others/everybody to step up.  It's just me beating the same old drum here lately.  Mind you, though, it is a drum that NEEDS to be beaten.  Meanwhile, if it were being beaten by ten dudes instead of just one and, moreover, by other donors, not just me, it would have a MUCH greater impact.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 6:34pm »

Well, as many of yous know, it's "that" time of year again.  Most of our BIG bills for services that keep this place going (the way we like) are due between late April and mid July, when the REAL BIGGIE, the one for our hosting, is due.  I just paid TWO of them, one of them, the one for the news feed, 40 days late... This is one of those times of the year when donating is particularly welcomed (by me) and "worth it".  If you are in a position to spare a few bucks keeping "the Gridiron"(/Steggie) afloat and moving forward, this is where to start:

Every little bit helps!  Thank you for your anticipated consideration.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 1:33am »

A heads up to anyone who might have sent me a donation by credit card over the last couple days,... I know there was a cgi problem over the last day or so preventing me from receiving the confirmation e-mails (talk about not being able to catch a break, huh?).  Also, note, a clue as to if there is a problem is whether or not YOU receive your confirmation e-mail.  If you don't, then it probably didn't take, so please let me know.  But, it should be all good to go now...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 5:58pm »

The BIG one's about to hit...  10 days and counting...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 9:11pm »

8 days and counting... until... OUCH!!! . ... ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 8:15pm »

4 days and counting... ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 9:53pm »

3 and counting...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 7:36pm »

2 days and counting... until the...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:23pm »

1 day left... until... "snap back to reality..." time to pay the piper...
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:23pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Tyrone_Biggums
Tackling Dummy
# 538

Is this the 5 oclock free crack giveaway?

View Profile Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 12:20am »

I would love to help out, but unfortunately I spent all my money on a $450,000 crack party.  (Did you guys hear about that? it was off-the-chain !)

I will gladly volunteer my services for a telethon, I can stay up aaaallllll night baby, I smoke crack rocks!

You know what dog food tastes like? Do you? It tastes just like it smells... delicious.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 6:26am »

The day's arrived!!!!!

It'll be one big gulp as I input those digits here today...

Oh, and by the way, I'd like to give a big, warm to our newest member TB, who posted there above.  Witty post, friend!  Welcome aboard!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 3:30am »

Well, that's over...  That doesn't mean the donations should be, though...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: May 31st, 2007, 7:17pm »

Well, guys and gals,... 'tis the season for an already broke Steg to get even broker running "the Gridiron", for which costs aren't getting cheaper, and this year, given the unjust, unexpected and lamentable circumstances Gino and I are enduring (see here if you need to catch yourself up: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1037120039;start=50), it's rough. For yous married folks who will/should surely understand this sensibility, she remains "supportive", but,... put yourselves in my... our... her shoes,... you can imagine (where "the Gridiron" is ranking on the list of financial priorities). The $200 I just laid out yesterday for "The REAL Feed" HURT!!! Mind you, even though it's on the periphery, getting rid of "The REAL Feed" I firmly believe would be a step in the TOTALLY wrong direction, and, furthermore, I'm one of NewsKnowledge's original clients, client #30, and I've got a great deal that I worked my ass off to get way back that they continue to grant us year in and year out. $200 for a news feed is NOTHING! If I were to give that up, we wouldn't have one back until I was cutting the ribbon on the FantasyFootballer.com offices (something I feel less and less confident about as I experience what I experienced late last year). I am, however, dropping domain names. Three or four have been jettisoned as of late.

Anyway, besides the latter part of last year on "the Gridiron" being absolutely emotionally and mentally draining on me, there is a more concrete "reality" I need to get out on the table... Given the donations "streak" last summer (to see/remind yourself what that means, go here: http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1068780634;start=75), I don't know what you guys are thinking. But, here's the deal. I... we, pooling our resources,... did cut our first profit, a step in the right direction. Make no mistakes, though, I had to hard-sell my ass off to "make" that happen. But, after all was said and done, when I filled in all the credits [donations, sponsorship (BuySellTix.com, who it looks like we will finally lose this year as they are not responding to my e-mails, which will amount to a BIG $375 loss), sales via "the Gridiron Store" and t-shirt sales] and debits on my "Schedule C" tax form this past tax season, we were in the green a "grand" total of,... drum roll, please,... $500, rounded up, that is. This "reality" is part and parcel of the reason I did not even pursue the magazine "project" this spring, that and the fact that I was drained of energy to put into this place. As you might recall the numbers I've given you guys, that's but one-quarter of what we'd need to get the magazine off the ground, and that's to totally ignore the cool grand I would like to just call mine (mind you, not that that would come close to putting me in the green as regards this venture overall; it would just feel good,... and, especially right now, it would help).

In any event, I hope, as the bills come rolling in here from starting about a month ago through mid-Julyish, the two biggies being the one I just paid for "The REAL Feed" and our web-hosting with Hostica, you guys can step up. To lay it on the line, not that I ever really could, but, this year especially, I really canNOT afford to run this place, and, as the "bigger picture" here seems to me, at least at this point, dubious at best, BUT the work I do continues to increase, and draining shit happens like it did last year (when I have given my heart and soul to this place and broken many a piggy bank to keep it going), "it all" just, seemingly at least, becomes less and less "worth it". At any rate, I'm not giving up just yet, but my conspicuous absence of late isn't "for no reason". We're just about FIVE years in... I'm thread-worn.

PLEASE, for the love "the Gridiron", step up, everybody! For the price of a pizza, you'd be making a difference on "the Gridiron"; for the sake of a Benjamin (I hope I got that right), you could be making the difference! For God's sake, it's a once-a-year hit if you do it right... And, if you've partaken in leagues here over these five years,... and haven't stepped up "commensurately"...

And, if you ever find yourself thinking... you know the spiel, remember that when I head out later today, I'll be doing so in my little Hyundai Accent with FantasyFootballer.com still emblazoned in the rear window... because I've, frankly speaking, painstakingly kept it maintained with silver paint. Know that keeping all the little things behind the scenes (that you can fathom get done) in mind will help you maintain a generous attitude towards the site... and, well, toward me too, and, really, that's the key to success for "the Gridiron".

Uber and Audi,
Steg
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2007, 5:32pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 6th, 2007, 11:18pm »

Well, we're at the one-week countdown 'til Friday the 13th (yea, I know... I don't have a Jason smiley), and as is the case every July 13th, I have to somehow ante up the BIGGEST "donation" of the year.  I hope you all, at least who haven't already, plan to give me a hand,... and I don't mean... ...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.