In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 2:24am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent  (Read 24125 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent
« Reply #150 on: May 29th, 2009, 2:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 29th, 2009, 9:33am, Philly wrote:
Rather than just take them all down, why not set up an RSS feed on each one -- since you still have the Real Feed subscription, you could probably set up a filter to only show info on a certain team. Then you'd have current info on every page, and then you'd also have more detailed information to add to it from anyone who is still taking a team as a correspondent here.

Yes, I am sure that is the case, Jeff, i.e., the filtering is possible (of course, that's a bill that's approaching three months overdue, but I digress...).  In any event, it is surely a great general suggestion and something I will definitely consider as time permits.  That said, what is it you are exactly saying vis-a-vis my question(s) above?
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #151 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 9:53am »

on May 29th, 2009, 3:38am, StegRock wrote:
Does ANYBODY think that bringing back the FF-specific Team Reports as a FEATURE of the site with it understood that 1) there is nothing I can offer in return, save for a sharp-looking team-report page and, as I would surmise, 2) at best only a handful of teams being covered???

I'm not even sure what you're asking here. It seems like a few words are missing.

Quote:
Or, is it best to not revisit this until it can be done right?

When you say "done right," do you mean: Quote:
have all 32 teams covered reasonably well
? If so, then you may be waiting a while until you revisit the issue. I think it's better to have something to start with, even if it is more generic RSS-feed info. If there's nothing there, there's nothing to keep people coming back.
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #152 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 10:36pm »

Yes, I think it should be brought back as a feature.  Many, me specifically, lost interest when I noticed no one...save Rick , was posting.

Revive to survive...you do get hits based on specific team interest, even if all teams are not covered.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #153 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:29am »

C-Dubs,... duly noted! Your answer as regards partial coverage is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, and by stating that 32-team coverage is unnecessary, you are sort of seconding Philly's intimation that waiting around for 32-team coverage is probably unrealistic anytime soon.  You two are at least on a similar page, and, even per the suggestion I made in the last sentence of my initial post here, I think the 32-team requirement does not need to be adhered to.  However, volunteer effort or not, I'm going to have to enforce some better quality control, something I hardly did at all before.  That's a bit of a tight rope to walk.  Ultimately, Dubs, I wouldn't mind hearing you out on some of the more nuanced aspects of what I'm asking here like as regards the possibility of even pulling it off.

Phil,... per the above, I understand your position on the 32-team requirement, and I totally appreciate your suggestion about the RSS alternative.

on Jun 1st, 2009, 9:53am, Philly wrote:
I'm not even sure what you're asking here. It seems like a few words are missing.

As far as my question goes, there are surely no missing words (it's grammatically correct and all).  It's a two or three parter, I suppose.  Let's try this format...

1) Do you think that trying to bring back the FF-specific Team Reports as soon as possible as a feature, prominently linked to like before, is (hypothetically) worthwhile, in general?  (That's actually kind of a rhetorical question, but, since I'm going about spelling this out, I feel the need to spell it all the way out, i.e. to include what's implied.)

2a) Do you think that bringing them back is even feasible when I have nothing to offer but the pages themselves, which are sharp, but the bottom line is that it's going to be totally volunteer?

2b) Furthermore, do you think it is feasible for me to impose on/expect of my volunteers a level of quality that is high enough that the proverbial purpose is not being defeated (i.e., we are not turning as many, if not more, people off by and away from the site as we are turning on to the site)?  In other words, do you think that the level of quality control I can exert on dudes who are just totally volunteering their efforts can be sufficient enough (for us) to put out a polished enough product that we are reasonably proud of from top to bottom (vis-a-vis what else is out there)?  (The point is that I was very loose with the quality control in the past and, let's face it, probably close to about half of the team reports didn't cut the mustard and were hurting the overall effort.)

3) And, finally, do you think it is worth bringing the FF-specific Team Reports back if only a handful of teams are going to be covered (for the foreseeable future)?  In other words, do you think that only having a handful of teams covered still looks okay for the site?  [You sort of answered this, Jeff.  At least, you pointed out that I probably don't have a choice (outside of the RSS option).]

Another whack???
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #154 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:32pm »

Steg,

I would answer yes -- I think it's worth having them, even if not all 32 teams are covered.  I think you may end up having fewer than before because of increased quality control, but if we're willing to have only 12 reports we should be willing to have only 6, if you see what I mean.

By the way, Philly is right -- in your original phrasing of the question the verb is missing from the indirect statement: you said pretty much "do you thinking that bringing back the reports?"  It's just that the qualifying clauses ("as a feature of the site . . .", "with it understood that . . .") are long enough to make us forget about the missing verb.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #155 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:41pm »

You are right, guys... I stand corrected...

on May 29th, 2009, 3:38am, StegRock wrote:
Does ANYBODY think that bringing back the FF-specific Team Reports as a FEATURE of the site with it understood that 1) there is nothing I can offer in return, save for a sharp-looking team-report page and, as I would surmise, 2) at best only a handful of teams being covered???

It should have read, "Does ANYBODY think that bringing back the FF-specific Team Reports as a FEATURE of the site, with it understood that 1) there is nothing I can offer in return, save for a sharp-looking team-report page and, as I would surmise, 2) at best only a handful of teams being covered, is a good idea???"

My apologies, specifically, to Philly for the denial...  Moreover, it went just as you describe, T.  By the end of that long blurb, I had forgotten... what I was asking, so to speak, so much so that even reading it again and again I was still reading right through the error.  The English Master... ... ...

In any event, thank you for the correction... ANYTHING to improve... even the details,... moreover, the details!

But, please permit me to point out the grammatical biff here too, though,...

on Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:32pm, T-Rave wrote:
By the way, Philly is right -- in your original phrasing of the question the verb is missing from the indirect statement: you said pretty much "do you thinking that bringing back the reports?" It's just that the qualifying clauses ("as a feature of the site . . .", "with it understood that . . .") are long enough to make us forget about the missing verb.

... typo, actually, I know, and it isn't a detriment to communication like mine was. Moreover, it is I who got you all nutty with the present participles.

ANYWAY, more importantly, thank you for your thoughtful and substantive response, T!
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #156 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:43pm »

I believe you can pull it off, at least to some degree.  In terms of quality control, personally I liked the boxed format that required the reporter to comment on each aspect of the team, i.e. RB, QB, WR, TE, K.

If reported consistently across all teams in that manner, it makes for an easy read and review of a specific team.  That may create a nice draw for the site each week.

As hits increase, so would interest and volunteers.  I believe there are lots of folks out there that would love to get involved with a site like this...we just got to find ways to attract and keep them.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #157 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 6:22pm »

C-Dubs, LOVE it!  PITHY!  I just wanted to wait to respond so as to let others reply without my influencing the convo.  Be that as it may, this is a great idea that really exhibits a wonderful putting together of the pieces (that I was failing to see).  I was concerned about how I would go about enforcing quality controls (the politics of it, no less the actual work of it), but this idea of yours here automatically, matter-of-factly forces some level of quality control, at least in terms of (standardizing) the appearance.  Furthermore, it is within my technical know-how to make you all's correspondent administration input forms with a separate input text box for each category, QB, RB, WR, TE, D/ST (IDP- and DU-style) (and perhaps an optional "general remarks" section) instead of like it is now, just one big "FF-specific Slant" text box to do with ultimately however you please, and it will automatically come out in that format with the table and everything on you all's displayed team report output pages.  Brilliant!  Again, that in and of itself will provide a modicum, at least, of quality control insofar as the look will be more consistent and, thus, professional.  It will also (force each of us, who isn't so good at doing this, to) break up the reports into manageable chunks rather than long blurbs WHILE ALSO making sure everybody covers all AND ONLY the fantasy-relevant positions (while incorporating, say, coaching or o-line info only as it affects, say, the quarterback or tailback positions).  Awesome!  The only thing (and I hate to remind yous of this, but it is what it is), it's going to take me having to set aside what I would estimate to be 36 or so hours to get the job done. It's going to be a fairly technically heavy job for this self-taught computer "programmer". I'm more than willing to do it!  But, when will it be done (in another big move year for the Steggies AND, MOREOVER, a year in which "the Gridiron" will definitely be running WAY in the RED)?  Either hopefully before we pull up stakes here in Cali so that we can take advantage of the big July-through-August preseason fantasy-football surge or at least by Week 1.  But, to be totally honest, it may, at this point, all things considered, just have to be tabled until next year.  It just is what it is. On the other hand, I could just give yous the template code again for the time being to hold us over and require yous to use it.  Somehow, though, because of the complexity of HTML code for tables, I am disinclined to bring back the product until it can be done right, i.e. how I explain above. I'm also concerned, knowing myself and my circumstances, that, unless I'm forced to get this done right and unable to fall back on an easier way out (for myself), I'll keep putting it off (and it definitely won't be until next year).  But, anyway, I'm just thinking aloud here with that.  That's something more for me to reconcile.  In any event, this is a great idea, and I do plan to follow up on it!  On that... , especially as regards my hesitance to get things back going by just giving yous the code and require its use,... any thoughts???  Or, any thoughts about anything, including the original question I ask here???
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.