In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:15am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Bleachers

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Back Judge, Side Judge, Referee, Replay Official, Line Judge, Head Linesman, Field Judge, Umpire)
   the Bleachers
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  16 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Bleachers  (Read 32943 times)
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

Re: the Bleachers
« Reply #100 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 12:32am »

Sounds like you are or will be a great parent, MC.  Great post, man!

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

"The Dark Side is Within You"

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #101 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 12:59am »

Yes MC, great post

Fortunately for me, we live on a great street where there is about 4 culdasacs along a 1 mile stretch where there are sidewalks all the way down and back.

So, we only have to cross the street once on our way back  

Thanks for the good advice.

O4L
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2005, 1:03am by Oakland4life » Logged

QB Mcnabb, Warner
RB- LT2, F. Gore, S. Young, K. Keith
RC- Ocho Cinco, G. Jennings, K. Curtis, J. Jerevicous
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #102 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:16am »

Bringing the Confucian philosophy of the "Superior Man" and the Daoist philosophy of "world building" to life (in both senses)... ...

Parking at UH, like at many universities, is a NIGHTMARE... (old Freddie's gettin' some serious PT these days, I notice, by the way) On this one side street that is a prime parking area, there is this small stretch of "curbage" right at the head of the street, i.e. closest to school, along which two cars can comfortably park as long as one thoughtless asshole doesn't park smack-dab in the middle of it.  As I pulled in at 7:15 this morning, lo and behold, there was just such a parked car,... but this time there was a dude still in it.  I continued on farther up the road and parked my car... (needlessly 20 yards farther up the road).  As I walked back down the road, the kid was still there in his car; it looked like he was studying.  His driver's-side window was open.  I approached him and said something like "Brother,... I'm sorry to bother you while you are studying, but I just gotta...  Please, I'm begging you to do this...  You know how bad parking is here at UH, right?  ()  Well, this bit of 'curbage' here can provide for two parking spots as long as people park to one side or the other and don't hog the middle,... and when someone does it's a REAL pisser,... and,... well,... you probably don't realize it, but you are parked in such a manner.  Please, I beg of you, move your car a little up or back."  At this point, he "opens his eyes", in a manner of speaking, looks around and "sees" the case, at which time he responded quite apologetically and, furthermore, seemed grateful that I had "revealed" this "reality" to him.  It's as if I awoke him, even if just temporarily, from an Emersonian sleepwalk.  As I walked away, it was great to look back and see him pull his car up and it was even greater when I walked back out to leave for the day seeing a car parked behind him along this short slice of curbage.  ...  (Put in contemporary parlance...) When asked, "How would Confucius, so concerned with right conduct, deal if he were hanging out with the barbarians in the north," it was responded, "There would be no barbarians."

Ask yourself, "How would I have taken what Steg did if I were that guy?"  ...  Ask yourself, too, "How do I park,... ... moreover,... as a microcosmic exemplification of the way I live life?"
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #103 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:42am »

That is deep man........deep

QB Mcnabb, Warner
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #104 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 2:37pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:16am, StegRock wrote:
 As I walked away, it was great to look back and see him pull his car up and it was even greater when I walked back out to leave for the day seeing a car parked behind him along this short slice of curbage.  

You were lucky he didn't smash your window, key your car, slice your tires, and tell you to get OFF!!! lol  That's probably what would have happened in many places around the globe!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #105 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:31pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:42am, Oakland4life wrote:

I don't know if "deep" and "touching" is the right response to this, O4l,... unless you're being sarcastic, in which case...

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 2:37pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
You were lucky he didn't smash your window, key your car, slice your tires, and tell you to get OFF!!! lol  That's probably what would have happened in many places around the globe!!

Yea,... that's pretty sad that's the way it is in many places...  I don't know if I'd go as far as generalizing to the globe.  I think, vis-a-vis many other places, that belligerent, muscle-head brand of response is quite distinctively American.

Anyway, I think the real (good) point to this story is that most people (when they) don't do the right thing (it is) because they don't know what the right thing to do is (read, Emersonian sleepwalk), not that they intentionally strive to do bad.  It's not that human nature is inherently bad (I believe quite the contrary; I agree with Mencius and believe in an innate good human nature, actually; it's just that our American legal system is set up to the contrary; it is founded on an implied mistrust, and people then "adapt" to the system).  It's that people are genuinely lost,... primarily, in America, in them"selves".  Once they see "the way", they cannot help but follow it... and feel good about it...  Again, and I quote...
on Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:16am, StegRock wrote:
When asked, "How would Confucius, so concerned with right conduct, deal if he were hanging out with the barbarians in the north," it was responded, "There would be no barbarians."
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #106 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 12:33am »

Quote:
Ask yourself, "How would I have taken what Steg did if I were that guy?"  ...  Ask yourself, too, "How do I park,...  ...  moreover,... as a microcosmic exemplification of the way I live life?"

I guess that is what I was more pertaining too in my comment.  I'm sorry if I made light of your story.

Me personally, would have done just what the parked man did.  Move, and politely apologized.  But quite frankly, I wouldn't have parked in that spot to begin with.

Quote:
it's just that our American legal system is set up to the contrary; it is founded on an implied mistrust, and people then "adapt" to the system).  It's that people are genuinely lost,... primarily, in America, in them"selves".  

Unfortunately, there is ALOT of truth to this statement.  The reason why most Americans are selfish is because of our government.  We are raised from birth to learn how to be independant and do things on our own.  Let nobody stop you.  Then, we become adults, abandon our parents, and fend for ourselves and depend on the government to help us live.  

To get a little religious here, "it takes a village to raise a child" it is a statement that is far forgotten in todays society.  But it is true.  If you were to do studies (which Im sure there are somewhere) I'm sure it would reveal that small towns, and suburban societies raise much more social, and moral children then those that are raised in metro areas. Not to say that everyone in Metro cities aren't any of the above.  I'm just talking percentages.

Maybe I'm getting a little off base here, but the bottom line is, the government does not support, or endorse multiple family living.  You look at Mexicans for instance.  They usually have two or three generations living under the same roof.  And you know what.  Every single Mexican I have ever met is hard working, very social, highly religious, and have a solid life foundation.

Just another thought.

O4L

QB Mcnabb, Warner
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #107 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 11:08am »

I think my biggest pet peeve is stupid drivers (some are blatantly stupid, and some just don't pay attention).  Something like that would have annoyed me, although I think you handled it the right way and I think the other driver handled it well too.  Enlightenment to the "way" is key.  It's amazing how much of driving/parking/etc. really is incumbent on a little common sense, and how uncommon that sense really is.
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

View Profile WWW

« Reply #108 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 9:33pm »

Quote:

Oaklandforlife, if you really wanted to go the sarcastic route next time, try something like this:

Steg you little drama queen, don't you realize that Confucious was a copious opium-smoking sissy-pants?  When faced with a situation involving insolent punks that take up two parking spaces, nevermind what Confucious would do, you need to ask yourself:

What would The Rock do ?

Luckily, through his enlightening role as small-town vigilante sheriff Chris Vaughn in Walking Tall, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson offers invaluable insight into the most effacious way to handle such a situation:

'The Rock' would retrieve his homemade four-foot-long 2-by-4 whoop'n stick from his trunk, then approach the perpetrator:

The Rock - "Hey there Sparky, I know you are busy there reading 'Candy-Ass Illustrated' but I've got two important news items for you - #1, you are taking up two parking spaces and #2, you may want to get those taillights fixed."

Two-Parking-Space-Taking-Candy-Ass-Punk-Bitch- "What's wrong with my taillights ?"

Then this would happen:

The Rock - "They're broken...."

Disclaimer:  Of course I think the described gesture was both commendable and courteous, I actually also think that Confucious was one of the most important political philosphers in history, this was merely a harmless demonstration of a truly sarcastic reply to one of Steg's metaethical posts...btw Steg, if you are feeling truly virtuous this week, feel free to bench Tiki Barber so you don't whoop my ass too bad in our fantasy league....

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005, 9:40pm by junkyardjake » Logged

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #109 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 10:43pm »

Oh GREAT, Jake.  Cheating on me AGAIN!  Sure, razzing O4L means he is officially one of us - but HEY...just because I'm hanging in by my fingernails for a heartbeat in CBFL doesn't mean that I'm DEAD yet!

OK.  A woman's revenge....."effacious"????  "EFFACIOUS"????  Did you possibly mean "efficacious"????  (Heh, heh, heh).

OK.  Back to the philosophical stuff.  But that was a very funny post, and I love The Rock.  

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #110 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 12:59am »

Touche' jake

QB Mcnabb, Warner
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

View Profile WWW

« Reply #111 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 12:44pm »

on Nov 6th, 2005, 12:59am, Oakland4life wrote:
Touche' jake

Oak4Life, this was not meant to insult your ability to be sarcastic.  I'm sure if you really intended to ridicule Steg's parking story, you would have done so.  (I just needed a premise for my stupid analogy.)

Quote:
just because I'm hanging in by my fingernails for a heartbeat in CBFL doesn't mean that I'm DEAD yet!

Callie, I noticed you are hanging tough in the CBFL.  Evidently my preseason scoring formula didn't pick up on the later round gems you found.  Leftwich, The Jags Defense, T.J. Housh, Chester Taylor and especially Neil Rackers.  (Who predicted he would be the leagues top kicker ?)

Quote:
....."effacious"????  "EFFACIOUS"????  Did you possibly mean "efficacious"????  (Heh, heh, heh).

Oh is that what I meant ?  
It was kindof close, I really should learn how to spell that, it's a pretty cool word.

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #112 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 1:13pm »

on Nov 6th, 2005, 12:44pm, junkyardjake wrote:
if you really intended to ridicule Steg.

Mind you, a fine goal... what I want this site to be about... and how I enjoy (my tales "from the heart") being responded to...
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

View Profile WWW

« Reply #113 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 2:53pm »

on Nov 6th, 2005, 1:13pm, StegRock wrote:

Mind you, a fine goal...

Now that is brilliant sarcasm !

Well done sir !    

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #114 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 10:32pm »

How IRONIC are these riots going on in France???
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #115 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 10:35pm »

Anything is better than Kimmel these days.  Thank you for an excuse to leave the TV during that.  But if you had asked during the "I like it.  I love it.  I want some more of it." segment, I would have ignored you exactly like the French ignore anything they don't like (to their own ruin, again).

So.  Do you think Kimmel is French?

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #116 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 4:28am »

soso, sd, whoever else around here in HI that I don't know about,... with school now out (and grAdes in ), Gino and I are taking the time to get around Oahu to some of the beaches (and celebrate ).  We went to Kailua Thursday and Makaha today.  We're thinking of heading up to North Shore next, sometime next or the following week.  Maybe, Sunset Beach???  What would you guys recommend?  And, when we head up there, since we haven't been up through that way, we plan on taking H-2 through Mililani.  I know that's where Justin is, right?  As such, what are the chances we can arrange it to bump into you two?
sexydexy
GM
# 331

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #117 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:46pm »

Steg,

I no longer live in Hawaii.  I am currently living and working in Seattle.  Justin does live off the H2...it's on your way to the North Shore from town so that'd be good to get in touch with him.

If you're driving, I'd probably avoid trying to go to Sunset Beach or Waimea.  Parking can be a real bitch at those spots.  I'd say your better bets are Pipeline or Ali'i Beach (which is on the road behind Haleiwa Joe's).  Ali'i Beach is nice because it's a big park and a pretty decent beach.  That part of Haleiwa is usually less crowded than the rest of the North Shore.  I'd imagine you could also try Turtle Bay if all else fails.

Let me know how it goes.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #118 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 5:15am »

First off, thanks, dex, for the advisement.  We haven't hit up anywhere else yet.  I'll let you know...

Next, it's two full days Christmas hence, so I feel comfortable getting something off my chest...

Liberal seepage dribbling into the crevasses of our children's minds and our national fabric...  On Christmas, I found myself flicking the TV between the Chicago-Green Bay game and some children's cartoon Christmas movie that I became taken by, Miracle on Third Street.  That was until a classroom scene where the fifth-or-so-grade teacher, the voice of reason of the show, the advocate for the children against the evil principal and his secretary, nonchalantly inserted the following, almost verbatim, in a presentation about Thanksgiving:  "...the humble native Indians gave of their land and harvest to the undeserving European barbarians...  That is what we call Thanksgiving."  This was so subtly, even sneakily, to the point of subversively inserted in by the writers.  It went by so fast... to the hardened adult mind, but was shoved into the supple minds of our language-sensitized children without our even knowing it.  If you don't think that affects the minds of (your) youngsters watching it, YOU'RE NUTS!  Look...  You can't judge one historical period by the moral and ethical standards of another.  That was the time of exploration, circumnavigation, colonization, imperialism, and (western) expansion.  I digress...  On Mongolian money there is still a depiction of Genghis or should I say Chingis Khan.  ...  This national self-loathing and the sneaky infusion of it into our youth has to stop. Okay,... I'll step down... for now...
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2005, 5:17am by Stegfucius » Logged
sameoldsameold
Fantasy Field General
# 326

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #119 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 1:54pm »

Dont Go to Waikiki Beach....that is a lotion ocean....dont know if i am to late on this....But i Would agree with dexter...Ali'i beach is your best option if you need better directions you can always give me a ring and i would gladly give directions.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #120 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 7:57am »

What exactly is a lotion ocean?
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #121 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 11:52am »

Sounds to me like a place where tourists put on suntan lotion and lie on the beach.  I guess here on the East Coast it would be about Bennies.

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #122 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 3:18pm »

#1 - Is going to a beach (bennie or not) with a lot of greased up bodies a bad thing?

#2 - Shouldn't it be called a "lotion beach" then?  Although I guess it was done for the rhyming effect.

Hey Steg... you'll have to teach those Hawai'ians what it means to go "down the shore".
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #123 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 3:26pm »

Well....since they're on a bunch of islands, shouldn't it be going around the shore?  

Don't mind us, you lucky Hawai'ians (is that the spelling?).  It's winter here.  We're living vicariously through you.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2006, 3:26pm by Callie » Logged

sameoldsameold
Fantasy Field General
# 326

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #124 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 5:02pm »

Waikiki Beach is kinda surrounded by a stone wall to protect the tourists...now alot of tourists pack on the suntan lotion and go swimming and the water does not recycle well so basically it is a pool of suntan lotion.  No hawaiian is not spelt with the okina yet hawai'i has a okina('). Don't ask me why. I may be wrong but im 90% sure about that.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2006, 5:03pm by sameoldsameold » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  16 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.