In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 10:45pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Bleachers

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   the Bleachers
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  16 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Bleachers  (Read 24158 times)
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Re: the Bleachers
« Reply #75 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have always been an ABC guy and thoroughly enjoyed Peter Jennings, especially in times of crisis.  I thought his work during 9/11 was phenomenal.  I especially appreciated it because I was away from home at the time and he was the only real familiar face I could turn to.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #76 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 3:24am »

Yas know...  It's something...  The ripple effects of 9/11...  The abrupt fall of the three network world news anchors...  A lot was taken out of Brokaw by the events of 9/11 and all of what subsequently happened, especially since he was sort of the lone conservative-ish voice on the networks, and he retired.  Rather was fired after being embroiled in a post-9/11, 2004-election, anti-Bush scandal.  Now, Jennings blames his return to smoking after having been off cigarettes for 20 years on the stress he endured because of 9/11; it is this resurgent smoking habit that probably exacerbated his cancerous lung situation and cost him his life, moreover, so rapidly.

NEVER forget! Don't ignore the dominoes!
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

View Profile WWW

« Reply #77 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Quote:
NEVER forget!  Don't ignore the dominoes!

Ummm, right.  Don't forget about the 'Dominos' like Dennis Miller, Judith Miller and Jeff Gannon either ! (With a few more important ones still to come, like Bob Novak and Karl Rove).

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #78 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:59pm »

Just in case you check in one more time tonight, safe journey Steg & Gino.  

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #79 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 4:22pm »

Thanks, Cheryl!  We are right now in Las Vegas Airport.  Internet access in the airports has NOT been as generous as I thought it would be.  See yous tonight, HAWAII time!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #80 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:29pm »

on Aug 10th, 2005, 4:22pm, StegRock wrote:
Thanks, Cheryl! We are right now in Las Vegas Airport. Internet access in the airports has NOT been as generous as I thought it would be. See yous tonight, HAWAII time!

Was it a quick layover in Vegas?  Did you have a chance to get out and enjoy the city?  Hell...did you at least have a chance to enjoy the slots in the airport?

Have a safe trip!!

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #81 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:08pm »

Aloha, everybody!!!  I'm just checking in quickly (unfortunately)...  Gino and I are KNEE-DEEP in dealing with finding a place to live.  But, everything is going well on that front, ultimately.  However, as far as my getting over here..., well,... it's going to be somewhere between VERY spotty and NOT AT ALL for the next week or so.  Our hotel isn't "wi-fied"; I don't have time in the immediacy to set up my U.H. account and the library is only open until 9 p.m. until the semester commences.  There is one last-ditch thing I am going to try at the hotel tonight, but I am not hopeful.  So, anything I am needed for is either going to have to be put on the back-burner for about a week or dealt with independently (but, whatever it is, please do it in the high-quality manner in which we expect it to be done on "the Gridiron").  Lastly, if someone(s) could link to this message in other areas of the site where it is particularly needed (maybe like on the GBRFL2 board and on the "Huddle" thread "between the 20's"), I'd REALLY appreciate it.  I gotta run (but I'll get a quick pick up)...  Mahalo!

- Steg
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #82 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 3:31am »

Steggie's baaaaahaaaaack...!!!  Gino and I moved in to our new place, our first place together, on Wednesday evening.  It's immaculate, FULLY-furnished and gorgeous and, most importantly, it's a perfect fit for us in almost every single way...  Our prayers were answered... manifold. In VERY short, we, by way of rapid connections we were making, found a place that had not yet been advertised in the papers.  Landlords love it when they can save the time and money that goes into advertising a rental and get someone in immediately.  We got a great deal.  ...  Anyway, I just went about getting internet today, so I'm back up and surfing... the internet that is.  Of course, school starts next week ... and an accompanying part-time job is probably not too far off on the horizon, so... the grind (no, not my old friend Eric Nies's old show... unfortunately) will keep me rather busy.  BUT, for all intents and purposes, we are (not quite yet settled in, but) settling in (for one, I am still awaiting the arrival of my car and shipped stuff).  In any event, fellas, Gino and I couldn't be happier.  We couldn't ask for more from our first abode/adobe (I love the "synchronicity" of those two words).  Over and out... and... ALOHA!!!
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #83 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 9:33am »

Sounds great Steg! Things are falling into place for you!

Now don't leave us all get down to the beach while you still have some time and take some pics of some hotties!!!

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2005, 2:41pm by BarnabyWilde » Logged

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
junkyardjake
GM
# 58

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

View Profile WWW

« Reply #84 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 9:42am »

Quote:
Gino and I moved in to our new place, our first place together, on Wednesday evening.  It's immaculate, FULLY-furnished and gorgeous and, most importantly, it's a perfect fit for us in almost every single way...

Congratulations Steg, best of luck in your new home.

"A child of five could understand this (someone fetch me a child of five)" - Groucho Marx
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #85 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 12:46pm »

on Aug 20th, 2005, 9:42am, junkyardjake wrote:

Congratulations Steg, best of luck in your new home.

Ditto!  

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #86 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 9:57pm »

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=01;a ction=display;num=1124284100;start=50

on Aug 24th, 2005, 8:42pm, ghost_of_420 wrote:

sorry to hesrt but certainly understandablethere's never a good time to dissapear but late summer is the worst possible time in our hobby. keep me in mind if another spot opens up but allow me to o fill you all in on my disapearance. april 25th2005, i'm deliveriong a load of meat to detroit,mig there duringerush hour whrn bam!!, i have a stroke. no I'm not talking about wippinhg mr happy out and mastering my domain. i'm talking abouta blood clot goes from the neck to the brain causing my left side to be parsalyzed. well, the good news isd that i somehow got my truck into the median without hurting any body. the even bett news is i've already regined enoughh movement in my lft leg to allow me to walkwith a cane

left armt/hand stil hngin' limp but thre are indicatyors that the doctors look at that still point to a real goo d chnce of gettting some use of it back. you don't really know pain until you turn youirself over yo a team of physical therapiats Love whast thy've been able to do for me to date, but dammn!!!!!!!! they're hard on a guy

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #87 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 5:37pm »

Is there anymore news on ghost?

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #88 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 7:41pm »

On yet another somber (to put it mildly) note, how about this Hurricane Katrina? Have any of you or yours felt or been witness to the impact of this monster? My heart goes out to the people affected, especially those in New Orleans, who seem to be the hardest hit.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005, 7:46pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #89 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 4:01am »

Definitely showing the education I am getting in or at least the exposure I am getting to ancient Eastern (political) thought here...  Rather than or, let's just say, besides criticizing George Bush in a "politics as usual" way regarding the wake of Hurricane Katrina, how about someone's asking where the mayor of New Orleans was when the hurricane struck?  Follow...???

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #90 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 8:01am »

Honestly, I'm not even paying attention to the hurricane situation any more.  It's just fallen to a level of everyone blaming everyone else (on both sides of the political spectrum) for the disaster.

For every human interest story I encounter -- you know, those heroic stories of self-sacrifice -- I run into 10 others blaming either the president or the governor or the mayor or FEMA or Kanye West for everything that isn't going well.

Maybe my ignoring the situation is wrong.  I made a contribution to the relief efforts.  I'm sure there is more I could do and will probably learn what those things are as they days go on, but for now, I'd rather not hear about it.
steelkings

Email

« Reply #91 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Was it just me or was the whole Ozzy Osborne thing last nite just a little uncomfortable.

Stones...Cool!

Greenday....Cool!

Santana... no shoes.......Cool!

Oz...........Strange choice!

Picture this.  
ABC/NFL planning committee room.

" Ok, then its settled. We will have Bob Kraft work the crowd into a frenzy with his lightning quick wit and personality, followed by Ozzy doing a few drugs and a live version of Crazy Train. Purhaps we can get him to drop an F bomb for water cooler foder tomarrow.  "  

I think they got it backwards. It was supposed to be Ozzy working up the crowd and Kraft singing Crazy Train.

Ps.  For those who recorded it. Check to see if you can make out the shirtless girl tattoo on Ozzys left arm. I didnt record it, however I know there is one there.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #92 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 9:39am »

I got it!! I got it!! I got it!!!

Yep, that is right, I will now be one of the proud few who are able to waste their Sundays at home instead of the bar! My wife got me the Sunday ticket.

That is now small show of love on her part. The cost was pretty minimal since we just signed up with Direct TV and they have a major sale. The love comes in the form of knowing what I am going to be doing the next 17 Sundays. I will be vegged in front of the TV and I will have many friends coming over to become vegetables in front of the TV. That is love!!

On a personal note, I must say my wife really amazes me sometimes. First she got me an autographed Harold Carmichael jersey(my favorite player growing up. I happened to mention that he and Wilbert Montgomery were my two favorite Eagles. It was mentioned in a casual conversation about 3 years before she got it. She actually rememebered.) And now, unasked, she unexpectedly surprises me with the Sunday ticket. I had no intention of even asking to get it. She is a VERY cool wife!!
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2005, 9:40am by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #93 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 12:48pm »

CONGRATULATIONS, Stevo!!!  If she had gone and done this last year, I'd have been over there every damn Sunday!!!  GREAT job, Jen, you little !!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #94 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:26pm »

Boy, I heard a GREAT one on the radio coming home today...  I'm going to quote it and add a little commentary...

"Life is about accomplishment, not retirement!"

When you look back at your life, do you want to feel content with and happy about your accomplishments, that you made a difference, perhaps "the" difference, or just content and happy that you are retired, that you made your way to (your) retirement?  It's not that these two are completely unrelated, but they are indicative to two very divergent paradigms of living life.
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #95 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 9:13pm »

OK.  I'm AFC West.  So I have heard the name of Jeb Putzier pronounced as PUHT-zee-yay.  Then (apparently in January, from what I have read) he decided to change the pronunciation to PUHT-zee-er.  He said the other one sounded too French.

Tonight I heard anouncers saying POOT-zee-er!  Does anybody listen to Bronco games often enough to know where we are at this point?  

Oakland4life
GM
# 426

"The Dark Side is Within You"

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #96 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 2:01am »

Im with ya Callie.

But, IMO i just pronounce his name PUTZ  as in (PUH-TZ)

Denver!!!

O4L

QB Mcnabb, Warner
RB- LT2, F. Gore, S. Young, K. Keith
RC- Ocho Cinco, G. Jennings, K. Curtis, J. Jerevicous
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #97 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 2:07am »

on Oct 27th, 2005, 2:01am, Oakland4life wrote:
Denver!!!

O4L

Now, now... This Bronco fan has been VERY nice to you...  Let's not ruin it...
Oakland4life
GM
# 426

"The Dark Side is Within You"

Red5+R2D2
View Profile Email

« Reply #98 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 2:29am »

What!!??

Ahhhh, you and I both know its no fun to poke fun at a loosing team.

It's still PUTZ though

O4L

QB Mcnabb, Warner
RB- LT2, F. Gore, S. Young, K. Keith
RC- Ocho Cinco, G. Jennings, K. Curtis, J. Jerevicous
TE Gonzo, V. Davis
D- Redskins/ ST Bears
MordecaiCourage

Email

Halloween Safety for the kids!!
« Reply #99 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Each year, more than 650 children are hit by cars and killed and another 20,000 are injured and on Halloween, that number rises dramatically. In fact, children are four times more likely to suffer a pedestrian-related fatality on Halloween than any other night of the year.  

To help make your child's Halloween safe, the National SAFE KIDS Campaign recommends taking the following precautions:  

Never let children under age 12 go trick-or-treating or cross the street without the supervision of an adult on Halloween night.  
  Teach them never to dart out into a street or cross between parked cars.  
  Decorate costumes, bags and sacks with retroreflective tape and stickers.  
  Use costumes that are light or bright enough to make children more visible at night.  
 Teach children to walk, not run, while trick-or-treating.  
  Remind children to stop at all street corners before crossing. Tell them to cross streets only at intersections and crosswalks.  
  Teach them to look left, right and left again before crossing the street and to continue looking both ways as they cross.  

Have fun out there kiddos!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  16 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.