In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:47am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron What it means to be a "significant" contributor...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   What it means to be a "significant" contributor...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What it means to be a "significant" contributor...  (Read 721 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

What it means to be a "significant" contributor...
« on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

... on "the Gridiron". As we press ahead on this (ad)venture of ours here, I thought this to be a "notion" worth clarifying or at least laying out on the table, especially for those who want to become more a part of the unfolding vision and position themselves to be a part of the future here. While I appreciate each and every guest, for visiting the site, and member, for joining, and surely these acts alone are helpful to the cause, it is those who step it up in the four ways I will outline below that make this site what it is and will become. At this point in "the Gridiron" endeavor, the four ways to contribute in a substantive way are as follows:

1) Post frequently on our three main boards, "the Red Zone", "between the 20's" and "the Sidelines" (this board); by "frequently" I mean along the lines of at least one meatyish, somewhat insightful or discussion-worthy post per day;

2) Do a fantasy football-specific team report for one ofthe teams not yet covered in that section of the site or write (a couple articles a year) for our FF Articles section;

3) Make a modest DONATION (whatever you can reasonably afford to help with the ever-increasing expenses and growth of the site) or buy a t-shirt;

4) Get the word out both on the net AND in your day-to-day activities (this way of helping the cause is not one that can really be tracked and credited, but suffice it to say that I know for a fact that I myself am personally responsible for an unfortunately high percentage of our last 55 or so members; case in point, our most recent member Lorenzo Paran is a personal friend who I just recently struck back up with, and look at the e-mail addresses of the two who joined just prior to him); word-of-MOUTH is a very powerful tool, moreover, for us to get the kind of (solid) members we want!

Again, this is not being told to you exhortationally. I am just trying to let those who care know how they can most effectively and substantially give (back) to the site. While all the little things add up and surely count, at the point we are at in this venture the above are the ways that really make a difference... the difference. Moreover, I do not want the little things to be misconstrued as big contributions especially in the minds of those who do in fact want to contribute in a big way (and, thus, want to be guided as to how to do so).
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2005, 2:47pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: What it means to be a "significant" contributo
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 12:35am »

I stumbled across this here old thread this evening...  I thought it worth bumping it back on up...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: What it means to be a "significant" contributo
« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 3:21am »

Now that the holiday season is in full-swing and the offseason is on the not too far-off horizon, an offseason which, mind you, I will likely not be back in school yet but, rather, be working full-time+ and, thus, perhaps in as good of a financial situation to make things happen here (like the magazine) with a little help as I've ever been, I feel like I need to again paint for you all the "bigger picture", bring you all up to speed on where we are, and let you know what's on my mind... 5+ years in and we are at a point where "real"/"significant" progress on "the Gridiron" is pretty much all about donations.

Bottom line, if we had 20 or so Jeff Wests, we'd have had our magazine and my marketing plan would have been enacted and been in action by now. We'd be on our way. The level at which he contributes "makes a difference". There are a handful of others. 25 or so Callies or Gene Nestros or Dave Bohrers or, in late years, Chuck Hamiltons or Rick Goulds would get us there, for example. Jeff was one of the pioneer members, so my hopes and expectations became high. I was hoping that five years in I'd have enough generous diehards at these levels that things would really start flourishing. Needless to say, getting more Jeffs has been difficult.

Now, don't get me wrong. "Every little bit helps", guys. In the least, it's a, perhaps, not substantial, but nevertheless substantive show of appreciation. And, every little bit, at least, perks me up. But, understand that the "contextualizations" (that sometimes accompany smaller contributions) fall on somewhat deaf ears. When the bills roll in, it's not a matter of sparing $20, it's a matter of juggling finances and coming up with HUNDREDS of dollars. If I adopted the kinds of mindsets that sometimes accompany donations on the small side, this site wouldn't even exist,... have ever existed.

Let me paint this "bigger picture"...

If 25 or so, perhaps fewer since I may be able to do more financially this upcoming offseason, Jeffs, Callies, etc., showed up on the scene, I could put into motion my marketing plan, the main component of which I see as being the magazine, which, in any event, will be a hell of a lot of FUN. If all goes well (you all know I'm no quitter), according to my plan in as few as 2 or 3 years we could really be moving, and the era of my "rattling the tin can begging for pittance" (but really needing more) would come to an end. Instead of begging, I'd be cutting checks for my staffers. Not only would I not be asking those many of you, who I know give so much to the site in other ways besides monetarily, for cash, but I'd be paying those of you who contribute in other significant ways, like by way of being a team correpondent. This is something I can't wait to be in a position to do. Those of you who have spoken with me at length know this. There's vision number one.

Vision number two, we go on into the indefinite future with most of you all throwing tens and twenties at me while I beg away. This could go on forever. Twenty years from now, me begging; you giving me a twenty spot, which, of course, reminds me that I'm appreciated, but isn't getting US anywhere. In a sense, it's just keeping me at bay. Meanwhile, not only could this "petty" cycle have ceased, but you could be enjoying the "substantive" returns. I mean do the math. $20 over the next 10 years is 200 one-way (and dead-end) dollars (which, incidentally, is the price of "The REAL Feed" for ONE year) with another 20 to follow in year 11, whereas, $100 (perhaps even just $50 depending on how (many) others step up) over the next, let's say, 2 years equals 200 dollars "at work", leading to a future where the issue isn't donations, but rather PAY. Heck, by the end of year 3, you may actually have made back what you've donated and be in the green yourself. How things stand right now, we're all basically in the red, or, at best, you all are in the red (with respect to "the Gridiron") and I am in the green but only to a degree that's getting me nowhere except one more year farther down the line of my wife's biological clock. If you didn't know, I am 36; Gino is 35. Our child that we want so is 0.

This segues me into another very real factor at play here. I had said to Jeff, Jim and others way back in the day that we were likely on an eight-year plan. That still stands, but the point here is that that number was not pulled out of thin air. What I am going to talk about right now was (a big) part of that calculation. We don't really have 10 or 20 years as I was suggesting in the paragraph above. My wife and I want to have a family. We want to have a child. We have, at most, 5 years. Lately, Gino and I have been hearing the tick-tock quite loudly. Once a child would come on the scene, a newborn requiring a minimum of 18 to 22 years of "intensive care", "the Gridiron" "meets its match" as I know almost all of you can imagine as almost all of you are or have already been there. Either the site's producing revenue and "worth it" to/for me to continue pressing on, or it continues not to be and is in serious jeopardy. I just canNOT see my having 1) a child, 2) the career I envision as a Philosophy professor and writer, and 3) my one main hobby, the GBRFL specifically, while carving out enough time to run "the Gridiron" if it hasn't progressed and turned into something "worth" the sleepless nights and grief. RIGHT NOW, frankly speaking, it isn't. Donations are down from last year; we've lost our one sponsor; the StegsList.com membership count is a joke; revenue generated from sales at "the Gridiron Store" and of t-shirts is laughable, less than your kids' lemonade stand, I'd guess; hell, the "Co-commissioner Services" haven't been used once yet (I've seen leagues on the site "debate" using it; vis-a-vis the WHOPPING $5 I charge, the "discussions" make me want to puke). But, I'm able to pull it off, so I do. The ultimate point is that the "$20 for 10-20 years" plan ain't even an option.

Ideally, this place takes off a) while I'm still in graduate school and with a flexible schedule and b) before Gino and I have a little one. My life is set up so that "a" and "b" are both nicely in place. Now, it's just a matter of "c's" happening, "c" being enough people stepping up with enough funds to (really just help me) "make it happen" here.

SO, again, as we enter the season of giving... and, moreover, thanksgiving and look to an uncertain but somewhat auspicious offseason given the fact that I won't be in school but instead working full-time+, I ask you to ask yourselves as you consider throwing a few bucks at me and the site whether you want to be a "make a difference" donor, where "making a difference" as I've defined it here means ensuring the continued existence of "the Gridiron" into an indefinite, bright future, or an "every little bit counts" donor, which, while functioning as a substantive pat on the back, isn't helping keep the site around in the long run, i.e. beyond the birth of a Stegeman child. (If you can read between the lines here, "the Gridiron" and, thus, you actually factor in, in some small way, to a decision that is preventing the birth of a child... and a family.)

That's the bottom line... That's where things stand. Nothing hidden. I'm just laying it on the line with yous. Thank you for taking the time to carefully read this and letting me explain things.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2007, 5:25pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.